• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:32
CEST 19:32
KST 02:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10291 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 308

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 306 307 308 309 310 665 Next
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
February 20 2013 17:34 GMT
#6141
On February 21 2013 02:26 Sn0_Man wrote:
Yes, but the chances of your deck playing Experiment One on turn one, then Rakdos Shred Freak on turn 2 are actually 0. Actually. Because you have no lands that allow you to do that.

Remember that a) you have to expect them to interact with you by turn 3 (aka azorius charm one of your creatures) and also that 6 one drops is around 50/50 to hit one turn one.

Again, you CAN hit for 4 turn 3, and it probably won't be rare, but I still say your average, reliable turn 3 is simply 2 damage (assuming you want to play horror on turn 3). There is, of course, an argument for holding horror until turn 4 so that you can get in more damage while also holding up regen for lotleth troll or w/e.


Valid point. However, the Horror is still 2 mana types instead of 1, making it a lot easier to drop on turn 3 than Nighthawks. Now, if you know of some good Gruul hybrids to flesh my options out with, I'd love to hear about them. The only one I personally see is Burning-Tree, which would be awesome.

Of course, that presumes I can get my hands on those, and they're still just 2 drops, where I'm not suffering as bad as 3. And an ideal 3-drop would be something in either Rakdos or Gruul colors to replace the Nighthawks, to really give me options alongside the Golgari color dreg manglers.
NeonFlare
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Finland1307 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-20 17:38:58
February 20 2013 17:37 GMT
#6142
Aggro and mill seem to go against each other quite hard, unless you just use mill as a way to potentially ruin opponent's draws, which will often make it very mediocre though. Since mill aims to clock opponent based on their deck and aggro aims to kick their life to zero asap.

Also, I still think some of the Gruul aggro variants are cheapest options for solid deck, without needing manabase beyond the two colors they come in, if even that (as example the deck I linked some pages ago, very green heavy).
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
February 20 2013 17:39 GMT
#6143
On February 21 2013 02:31 Trotske wrote:
Thoughts on a Agro/miller deck? I jsut started playing MtG and have pulled quite a few dimir cards that seem to work ok for a mill/agro deck. I will post the current decklist when I get home but would love some input of some good cards that I should be looking to trade for.


I'm of the opinion that Lazav is underrated for that. Imagine if you milled, say, an Obzedat, or a Boros Reckoner, or a Thundermaw Hellkite, or a Silverblade Paladin, an Aurelia...

Just imagine the giggles you could get with a Hexproof Silverblade Paladin. Soulbond it to something with evasion.
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
February 20 2013 17:43 GMT
#6144
On February 21 2013 02:31 Trotske wrote:
Thoughts on a Agro/miller deck? I jsut started playing MtG and have pulled quite a few dimir cards that seem to work ok for a mill/agro deck. I will post the current decklist when I get home but would love some input of some good cards that I should be looking to trade for.


Well, i mean aggro/mill sounds fun but it is really un-synergistic. Mill attempts to win by whittling down their card total (from a start of 60) while aggro attempts to win by whittling down their life total (from a start of 20). Until you get either total down to 0, you aren't winning. As such, its important to focus on ONE total and get it down as fast as possible before they either race you or take complete control of the game (my 2 cents).

Damn I sound like the fun police today.

A fairly cool archtype that you can try is Aggro/Self-mill that uses cards like Splinterfright (from the previous bock, still standard legal) to take advantage of "mill" cards to boost your aggro plan. However, I'm guessing you don't have all that many great cards for that?

I mean, you can play cards like that 1/1 for 1 and a black that gets +1+1 for each creature in your opponents graveyard, but you have no guarantees that your opponent is going to run many/any creatures in constructed. The whole dimir mill and creatures in your opponents graveyard thing is a strictly limited mechanic. Where limited means Draft and Sealed formats aka 40-card decks, not 60-card decks.

Jeez I really do sound like the fun police again.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
February 20 2013 17:51 GMT
#6145
I guess my questions really boil down to this: What do people think is more likely to take games in a Standard format against decks involving people who have actual card collections: An unreliable mana base, or a more mediocre spell selection?

I'm going to have one of the two, and I want to play on games day. With the way my local shop is running it, I should get a reasonable chunk of prize pool just by not being at the very bottom of the bracket.

(I'm assuming it runs the same way as the win-a-box, 3-4 rounds followed by elimination for the top X players. Minimum payout for Games Day is 1 pack guaranteed, $10 entry, so I'm assuming that being at ~50% of my games won should net me 2 packs)

I don't care a ton about winning, (I'd love to, but I'm a pragmatist about my current card base) but I want to at least feel like I'm actually playing.
JT
Profile Joined August 2008
Canada24 Posts
February 20 2013 17:59 GMT
#6146
I'm thinking of running something similar to this Dark Naya deck that Christophe Rolin played at PT Gatecrash for my next FNM.

60 cards

1 Blood Crypt
2 Clifftop Retreat
1 Godless Shrine
1 Isolated Chapel
2 Kessig Wolf Run
3 Overgrown Tomb
2 Rootbound Crag
1 Sacred Foundry
4 Stomping Ground
1 Sunpetal Grove
4 Temple Garden
2 Woodland Cemetery
24 lands

4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
3 Huntmaster of the Fells
4 Loxodon Smiter
2 Olivia Voldaren
4 Restoration Angel
4 Thragtusk
21 creatures

4 Bonfire of the Damned
4 Farseek
2 Garruk, Primal Hunter
2 Rakdos's Return
2 Selesnya Charm
1 Ultimate Price
15 other spells

Sideboard
1 Angel of Serenity
1 Oblivion Ring
2 Olivia Voldaren
3 Rest in Peace
1 Sever the Bloodline
3 Slaughter Games
2 Tragic Slip
2 Triumph of Ferocity
15 sideboard cards

But I love Boros Reckoner and was wondering what you guys though about trying to fit him in. Maybe cut 1 Smiter and 1 Thragtusk for example?
Risen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States7927 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-20 18:40:37
February 20 2013 18:11 GMT
#6147
I see little reason for running a card like loxodon smiter over reckoner in the current meta. I'd say you might have trouble casting him, but pilgrims and your manabase look just fine.

Edit: The list I will be running for my win-a-box FNM and gameday this weekend. I really hated detention sphere as my answer to planeswalkers, and I feel like planar cleansing fills that slot very, very well. The consistent mana base makes me LOVE playing esper. I've made a few changes to Ben's list that come down to personal preference (3 sphinx's revs instead of 4, and replacing one with forbidden alchemy) and instead of gloom surgeon in the side Terminus. 9 board wipes post-board vs agro is pretty damn solid and can get around boros charm shenans w/ terminus. Still hurts when Naya gets champion into double humans (one drops or BTE + 1) into silverblade into bloodrush for the win, though. Like... hurts my soul. No amount of augurs is saving you from that nastiness. Would really like your thoughts. The ghost quarter over neph is b/c of kessig.

+ Show Spoiler +

Deck: Standard Esper [image loading] [image loading] [image loading]

//Main
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Glacial Fortress
2 Godless Shrine
4 Hallowed Fountain
2 Island
4 Isolated Chapel
3 Nephalia Drownyard
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Plains
2 Watery Grave

4 Augur of Bolas
3 Restoration Angel
2 Snapcaster Mage

4 Azorius Charm
2 Devour Flesh
2 Dissipate
1 Dramatic Rescue
2 Planar Cleansing
3 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Supreme Verdict
4 Think Twice
1 Ultimate Price
1 Forbidden Alchemy

//Sideboard
2 Angel of Serenity
3 Terminus
2 Jace, Memory Adept
1 Psychic Spiral
1 Dispel
2 Duress
1 Negate
2 Witchbane Orb
1 Rest in Peace

[image loading] Display deck statistics
Pufftrees Everyday>its like a rifter that just used X-Factor/Liquid'Nony: I hope no one lip read XD/Holyflare>it's like policy lynching but better/Resident Los Angeles bachelor
JT
Profile Joined August 2008
Canada24 Posts
February 20 2013 18:21 GMT
#6148
But what about running both? Reckoner is obviously insane, but Smiter is great in most matchups as well
JT
Profile Joined August 2008
Canada24 Posts
February 20 2013 18:23 GMT
#6149
Also, is Liliana unplayable in the above list because of her double B casting cost? I also don't have 4 bonfires, maybe some abrupt decays or searing spears instead?
Tarias
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Netherlands480 Posts
February 20 2013 18:27 GMT
#6150
So I've also started working on my Game Day standard deck, I never really play constructed but with the amount of drafts I've done over the last 2 years I've managed to trade some boros stuff together. What I currently have:

+ Show Spoiler [The Deck] +

22 lands:
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Clifftop Retreat
2 Slayer's Stronghold
6 Mountain
6 Plains

30 Creatures:
4 Boros Elite
4 Champions of the Parish
2 Legion Loyalist
4 Wojek Halbardiers
4 Lightning Maulers
4 Daring Skyjek
1 Thalia
3 Silverblade Paladin
4 Skyknight Legionare

8 Spells
4 Boros Charm
4 Searing Spear


Now a friend of mine has offered to let me use his set of Boros Reckoners, which seems like a great idea, but I'm not really sure what to cut. I also have no idea what kind of field I'll be up against and what I should be putting in my sideboard. Any Ideas?
Go big, or go home!
JT
Profile Joined August 2008
Canada24 Posts
February 20 2013 18:34 GMT
#6151
Oh ya I forgot. How about Thundermaw in the above list I posted? Should be able to fit in 2 somewhere, no?
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
February 20 2013 18:37 GMT
#6152
I'd cut some combination of daring skyjek and skyknight legionnaire.

Note that with 8 white 1drops and only 10 possible untapped white sources on turn 1, you may wish to cut ~2 mountains for plains.

Sideboard you definitely want some number of skullcrack. Beyond that, maybe a thundermaw hellkite or 2? (okay thats pretty expensive). Otherwise I don't really know
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
iGrok
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5142 Posts
February 20 2013 18:38 GMT
#6153
On February 21 2013 03:11 Risen wrote:
I see little reason for running a card like loxodon smiter over reckoner in the current meta. I'd say you might have trouble casting him, but pilgrims and your manabase look just fine.

Porque no las dos?
MOTM | Stim.tv | TL Mafia | Fantasy Fighting! | SNSD
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
February 20 2013 18:40 GMT
#6154
On February 21 2013 03:23 JT wrote:
Also, is Liliana unplayable in the above list because of her double B casting cost? I also don't have 4 bonfires, maybe some abrupt decays or searing spears instead?

Double black off like 8 black sources in a 60 card deck does indeed sound horrible. Besides that, I don't see why you would want a Liliana in that deck.
Abrupt Decay is good with all the Reckoners everywhere. Mizzium Mortars might not be the worst card either.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Risen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States7927 Posts
February 20 2013 18:43 GMT
#6155
On February 21 2013 03:38 iGrok wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2013 03:11 Risen wrote:
I see little reason for running a card like loxodon smiter over reckoner in the current meta. I'd say you might have trouble casting him, but pilgrims and your manabase look just fine.

Porque no las dos?

Lol yeah he could run both, but he looks midrange, and I'd rather have all those other creatures over smiter when not agro.
Pufftrees Everyday>its like a rifter that just used X-Factor/Liquid'Nony: I hope no one lip read XD/Holyflare>it's like policy lynching but better/Resident Los Angeles bachelor
JT
Profile Joined August 2008
Canada24 Posts
February 20 2013 18:44 GMT
#6156
Ya, I just happen to have Liliana's sitting around and I like her in the Esper matchup maybe. Mortars makes sense as well. Any thoughts on Smiter vs Reckoner and Thundermaw in that deck?
Risen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States7927 Posts
February 20 2013 18:48 GMT
#6157
I will tell you right now a turn 3 lili vs my esper deck is so strong. Not unbeatable, but it's an amazing card in the matchup.
Pufftrees Everyday>its like a rifter that just used X-Factor/Liquid'Nony: I hope no one lip read XD/Holyflare>it's like policy lynching but better/Resident Los Angeles bachelor
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
February 20 2013 18:51 GMT
#6158
Judicator-
Green is primarily for Deathrite and Decay, Dryad is really just there as a 2-drop that is easy to cast that gets big. I did try loltroll for a bit because of Azorius Charm and Supreme Verdict, but it's too hard to reliably cast on turn 2.
Currently playing BUG because of the local upswing of Reckoners specifically and older Saito lists in general. Reckoner is a pain when all of your creatures are small and all of your removal is burn zzz.
The Azorius Charm issue is known and has already affected a lot of my work on the deck after this past weekend, though there is not a lot of Esper/UWR/Bant locally compared to RGx aggro. Mizzium Skin and Dispel probably making it into the maindeck, some removal choices are going to be looked at, etc.

Might just play UWR since I have it fully built and sleeved anyways lol
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
JT
Profile Joined August 2008
Canada24 Posts
February 20 2013 18:55 GMT
#6159
On February 21 2013 03:48 Risen wrote:
I will tell you right now a turn 3 lili vs my esper deck is so strong. Not unbeatable, but it's an amazing card in the matchup.


Ya I love the idea lol. But I guess she's only consistently castable in Jund where I'm not sitting on so few black sources.
Trotske
Profile Joined August 2010
410 Posts
February 20 2013 19:45 GMT
#6160
On February 21 2013 02:31 Trotske wrote:
Thoughts on a Agro/miller deck? I jsut started playing MtG and have pulled quite a few dimir cards that seem to work ok for a mill/agro deck. I will post the current decklist when I get home but would love some input of some good cards that I should be looking to trade for.



So here is my current deck (please note this is the first deck I have ever made)

+ Show Spoiler +
Devour flesh x 2
midnight recovery x 1
crypt ghast x 1
psychic strike x 1
whispering madness x 1
scatter arc x 1
paroniod delusions x 1
undercity informer x 2
slate street ruffian x 3
wight of precinct six x 4
gridlock x 1
consuming aberration x1
gitaxian probe x 1
mind grind x 1
balustrade spy x 3
grisly spectacle x 2
coerced confession x 2
hands of binding x 1
sepulchral primordial x 1
duskmantle guildmage x1
dimir charm x1

watery Grave x 1
Dimir guildgate x 4
10 swamp
8 island


Some of the cards in there are simply because I don't have better ones and some of those I want more of but don't have them. Would love to know some better cards to round the deck out / if you guys think I should scrap it because its going to lose to everyone at a constructed FNM.

just trying to play draft right now until i get more cards but thought I could make some decks.
Thinking about making a gruul deck next.
Question: Can you put a boros reck in a gruul deck? I pulled one and I figure since its pretty good why not but I don't have many gates for a gruul deck or any shocklands so it might be hard to get 4 mountains at any reasonable time.
Prev 1 306 307 308 309 310 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
ComeBackTV 701
IntoTheiNu 623
SteadfastSC548
Rex104
CosmosSc2 61
EnkiAlexander 53
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 548
UpATreeSC 104
Rex 104
CosmosSc2 61
BRAT_OK 53
Codebar 13
MindelVK 11
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 40474
Jaedong 1430
Hyuk 757
Soma 751
Mini 475
BeSt 459
Larva 368
Rush 304
Soulkey 256
ZerO 236
[ Show more ]
Snow 170
hero 101
Dewaltoss 94
Liquid`Ret 58
Mind 43
sorry 30
yabsab 29
Killer 26
ToSsGirL 23
Rock 19
Shine 19
Terrorterran 16
Trap 16
Dota 2
qojqva1260
Dendi798
Counter-Strike
Fnx 727
fl0m70
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King92
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3509
crisheroes2327
Khaldor1798
Liquid`Hasu485
Other Games
ArmadaUGS1638
byalli475
B2W.Neo473
ceh9380
KnowMe117
QueenE83
Trikslyr40
Railgan23
Chillindude23
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream87
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 37
• Adnapsc2 9
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki18
• FirePhoenix11
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3488
League of Legends
• TFBlade1031
Other Games
• imaqtpie776
• Shiphtur330
• WagamamaTV255
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
16h 29m
OSC
19h 29m
Stellar Fest
19h 29m
OSC
1d 6h
Stellar Fest
1d 19h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.