• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:08
CEST 02:08
KST 09:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War575.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9099 users

[Movie] Wall-E - Page 6

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next All
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-04 13:34:45
July 04 2008 13:34 GMT
#101
It's not a well-thought out movie.
It was, but it's a Disney movie. Yes, it's cute and emo by design because it's a Disney movie. The fact that you can't suspend your disbelief is your own limitation, not one of the movie, as I'm sure 100% of their intended audience is successful in doing so.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
EGoldman
Profile Joined May 2008
United States110 Posts
July 04 2008 13:35 GMT
#102
On July 04 2008 13:29 d.arkive wrote:
Out of curiosity, Goldman, what scripts and novels have you contributed to?


I'd talk about my upcoming project, but I'd rather not jinx it. And I'm going to avoid talking about what I have done because of posts like this:

I bet it's nothing you've ever heard of.

Based on the attitude of his post, he probably writes complete crap. Then he calls the masses uneducated and tasteless when he finds out everyone hates it.


It's just not productive. I'm not here to get into a penis-size contest. I'm here to comment on a film that I thought was terrible. But don't worry, I make my bank And it's mostly in the SF genre, so yeah, I'm touchy when it comes to robots. I don't like mainstream interpretations of it that rely on big-budget studios and sell with eye-candy/product advertisements. It's what destroys the industry. Same reason PC companies like EA get bigger and bigger, and some of the best studios get shutdown one after another. Graphics = higher costs. But everyone wants better graphics and so creativity gets shunted aside. New concepts are avoided for "proven" franchises. That's why you see sequels and so on that are rather stank still get produced.
EGoldman
Profile Joined May 2008
United States110 Posts
July 04 2008 13:36 GMT
#103
On July 04 2008 22:34 Jibba wrote:
Show nested quote +
It's not a well-thought out movie.
It was, but it's a Disney movie. Yes, it's cute and emo by design because it's a Disney movie. The fact that you can't suspend your disbelief is your own limitation, not one of the movie, as I'm sure 100% of their intended audience is successful in doing so.


While you're flinging that around, I hope you know Disney movie is a bad word. And using "intended audience" to prove your point is further indication that you have no clue what you're talking about. Phraseology like that is part of the problem. If it makes money, that makes it good? GTFO with your worship of capitalism please.
EGoldman
Profile Joined May 2008
United States110 Posts
July 04 2008 13:39 GMT
#104
On July 04 2008 17:10 Tsagacity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2008 13:29 d.arkive wrote:
Out of curiosity, Goldman, what scripts and novels have you contributed to?


I bet it's nothing you've ever heard of.

Based on the attitude of his post, he probably writes complete crap. Then he calls the masses uneducated and tasteless when he finds out everyone hates it.


lol if you got a point to make, then make it. If not, then keep quiet. Trying to go for low blows doesn't work. But thanks for your two cents of kindergarten psycho-analysis. I'm sorry you enjoyed a kiddy film about people wearing robot suits.
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-04 13:46:51
July 04 2008 13:43 GMT
#105
On July 04 2008 22:36 EGoldman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2008 22:34 Jibba wrote:
It's not a well-thought out movie.
It was, but it's a Disney movie. Yes, it's cute and emo by design because it's a Disney movie. The fact that you can't suspend your disbelief is your own limitation, not one of the movie, as I'm sure 100% of their intended audience is successful in doing so.


While you're flinging that around, I hope you know Disney movie is a bad word. And using "intended audience" to prove your point is further indication that you have no clue what you're talking about. Phraseology like that is part of the problem. If it makes money, that makes it good? GTFO with your worship of capitalism please.

You are such a tool.

I don't care if you don't like the movie, but you're criticizing it for not having realistic robots. Disney movie is a bad thing when applied to more mature movies that aren't made by Disney, but in fact this was. It was targeted as a children's movie that adults can enjoy, and the general consensus, even among your script writing peers, is that it is a wild success.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
EGoldman
Profile Joined May 2008
United States110 Posts
July 04 2008 13:46 GMT
#106
On July 04 2008 22:43 Jibba wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2008 22:36 EGoldman wrote:
On July 04 2008 22:34 Jibba wrote:
It's not a well-thought out movie.
It was, but it's a Disney movie. Yes, it's cute and emo by design because it's a Disney movie. The fact that you can't suspend your disbelief is your own limitation, not one of the movie, as I'm sure 100% of their intended audience is successful in doing so.


While you're flinging that around, I hope you know Disney movie is a bad word. And using "intended audience" to prove your point is further indication that you have no clue what you're talking about. Phraseology like that is part of the problem. If it makes money, that makes it good? GTFO with your worship of capitalism please.

You are such a tool.


Grow up. Or is name-calling your last refuge from logical conversation?
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
July 04 2008 13:49 GMT
#107
There's an edit.

The eventual irony of this discussion is going to be delicious.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
EGoldman
Profile Joined May 2008
United States110 Posts
July 04 2008 14:03 GMT
#108
On July 04 2008 22:43 Jibba wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2008 22:36 EGoldman wrote:
On July 04 2008 22:34 Jibba wrote:
It's not a well-thought out movie.
It was, but it's a Disney movie. Yes, it's cute and emo by design because it's a Disney movie. The fact that you can't suspend your disbelief is your own limitation, not one of the movie, as I'm sure 100% of their intended audience is successful in doing so.


While you're flinging that around, I hope you know Disney movie is a bad word. And using "intended audience" to prove your point is further indication that you have no clue what you're talking about. Phraseology like that is part of the problem. If it makes money, that makes it good? GTFO with your worship of capitalism please.

You are such a tool.

I don't care if you don't like the movie, but you're criticizing it for not having realistic robots. Disney movie is a bad thing when applied to more mature movies that aren't made by Disney, but in fact this was. It was targeted as a children's movie that adults can enjoy, and the general consensus, even among your script writing peers, is that it is a wild success.


Like I said before, using mob mentality as justification for the merits of something is not only irrational, it reflects poorly on your education.

And check your reading comprehension. I'm criticizing it because it tries to fob off having terrible characterization by using the stereotype of robots. You seem to lack the capability to understand ideas beyond the soundbyte level.

I don't care what it's targeted as. That doesn't make it a "good" film. Or perhaps you don't understand the difference between profitable and good? Success doesn't make something good. If I were you, I'd just stop. The more you try to clarify your remarks, the more obvious it is that you're missing the point. This is the same phenomena that has people admiring singers like Britney Spears. She's not talented. She's produced. Oh, but she makes a lot of money!! Must be class!! Or do you think boy bands and divas are quality music? Is that it Jibba?
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
July 04 2008 14:06 GMT
#109
You're a very angry person.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
nimysa
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States383 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-04 14:22:47
July 04 2008 14:20 GMT
#110
Don't waste you're time on Jibba, (although I still think you're a little extreme goldman, just saying). He knows he's not good at making any convincing or any sound arguments and he has admitted it several times.
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-04 14:28:06
July 04 2008 14:24 GMT
#111
I won't argue with most of that, but when have I admitted it?

Wait, are you gwho's second account?
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
EGoldman
Profile Joined May 2008
United States110 Posts
July 04 2008 14:34 GMT
#112
haha np Nimysa, I'm not saying anyone has to agree with me. I'm just glad to debate my own view of the movie, and share my opinion. After all, the thread is for every viewer to sound off right?

Still, I think it's pretty hilarious that some people resort to personal attacks when I've done nothing but comment on the movie. (Aside from when I engaged with Jibba directly) My gf was the one who actually wanted to go see it, but after the movie, even she was disappointed. And she's a marketing/design kind of girl, so this is "supposed to be" her kind of thing.
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-04 15:02:45
July 04 2008 14:58 GMT
#113
Are you kidding? Every post you make starts with "you're less educated than I am" in some derivative form. And it's not just this thread, it's all of them.

The first thing you told them was "I guess you don't know what constitutes a good script/novel." Then read your reply to my first post, which was fairly non-argumentative.

While you're flinging that around, I hope you know Disney movie is a bad word. And using "intended audience" to prove your point is further indication that you have no clue what you're talking about. Phraseology like that is part of the problem. If it makes money, that makes it good? GTFO with your worship of capitalism please.


You're not interested in discussing opinions. You're interested in bolstering your own ego by dismissing others' opinions as invalid based on their "lesser" intellect/talent/experience. Trust me, you are the king of personal attacks in this thread thus far.

Yes, targeting a film towards a younger audience does require much more simplicity, and certain emotions can only be portrayed with nuance. Yes, they use caricatures because they're easy to understand. Yes, it was designed to make money because they are part of the entertainment business.

Personally I think the movie was slightly overrated, considering how lavishly it has been praised, but I'm not writing 500 word essays on how an iPod shouldn't play VHS. You haven't given an inkling of how it should've been.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
XDawn
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
Canada4040 Posts
July 04 2008 15:07 GMT
#114
I just saw it - it wasn't a major 10/10
but it was pretty cute, and just made me smile
Use it or lose it
Showtime!
Profile Joined November 2007
Canada2938 Posts
July 04 2008 15:16 GMT
#115
EGoldman is funny.

He has some good things to say though. There were some things I really found outrageous, i.e. ideas of consumerism consuming us, the jokes on obesity, global warming messages, etc. When they first appeared the gf and I just turned one another, had a moment of silence and then laughed so hard everyone in the movie theatre we could see turned and probably thought wtf.

The art direction and the robots are what really made the movie and yes, they were pretty human.
Mini skirt season is right around the corner. ☻
traced
Profile Joined October 2007
1739 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-04 15:29:13
July 04 2008 15:27 GMT
#116
On July 04 2008 22:28 EGoldman wrote:
I'm fine with Shrek. I can suspend my disbelief. Why? Because Shrek is made to be fantastical and silly. But the fundamental crux of why Wall-E is supposed to be admirable is that it does a convincing job of making robots fall in love. But they're NOT ROBOTS. They act just like people!! Where is the artistry in that?? The animation?? All you need is money and a good studio for that. That's production values, not skill (in the filmwriting sense).


being that you're an accomplished novelist and a screenwriter, i'm surprised you didn't mention the second layer of shrek, appropriate to this argument. shrek is fantastical and silly to the general audience, the target of your little tirade here. but to a man such as yourself, the appeal should be the satire...well, no that's not even it. it was a calculated attempt to sink the disney brand by destroying it's most cherished old characters and archetypes. as you know, katzenberg, president of dreamworks animation, was squeezed out of disney by eisner. spurned, one of his primary motivations for starting the company was, simply, revenge. hence, the corporate espionage and genesis of antz. hence shrek.

now, i won't comment on the quality of shrek, but i will say that it's in the style of all of the other dreamworks' animated movies i've seen. but that movie works better because its object of attack is so cherished in your memory. this is one of the reasons why each successive shrek gets weaker, as the sequels are more about the shrek series itself instead of the disney legacy.

by the way, nice job trolling.
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
July 04 2008 18:57 GMT
#117
Jibba and EGoldman have ruined this thread
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Deleted User 30223
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
3104 Posts
July 04 2008 19:12 GMT
#118
On July 05 2008 03:57 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Jibba and EGoldman have ruined this thread

funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
July 04 2008 19:20 GMT
#119
On July 05 2008 03:57 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
EGoldman has ruined this thread


Fixed.

Can't believe he ruined this thread.

Well, it was awesome for the first 5 and half pages.

Oh well..I'm still going to see it.
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
EGoldman
Profile Joined May 2008
United States110 Posts
July 04 2008 20:31 GMT
#120
On July 05 2008 04:20 funkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 05 2008 03:57 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
EGoldman has made this a thread


Fixed.

Can't believe he ruined this thread.

Well, it was awesome for the first 5 and half pages.

Oh well..I'm still going to see it.


There's nothing "ruined" here, except perhaps the contiguous flow of sycophantic praise for a movie that didn't deserve it.

And you're right traced. That was another element of Shrek. It wasn't one of the factors actively running through my head when I enjoyed it though.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 53m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 469
Bale 26
Dota 2
monkeys_forever543
League of Legends
Doublelift5586
Other Games
summit1g10818
JimRising 469
ViBE254
KnowMe195
Livibee187
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick755
BasetradeTV179
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 126
• Adnapsc2 36
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1508
• imaqtpie991
• Shiphtur543
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 53m
Patches Events
14h 53m
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 53m
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 53m
OSC
22h 53m
OSC
1d 11h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.