• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:58
CEST 20:58
KST 03:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9423 users

What Are You Reading 2013 - Page 13

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 165 Next
snotboogie
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Australia3550 Posts
January 19 2013 01:07 GMT
#241
On January 19 2013 03:18 sam!zdat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 18 2013 21:42 YoucriedWolf wrote:
Starship troopers - Robert A. Heinlein
Okay/10
A whole book just to make five pages worth of (interesting) philosophical points. I don't know if you had to do that man..
I still have Stranger in a Strange Land so I will give Heinlein another shot through that at some point since he's considered so important.


You'll find SIASL to be a much different style. You should also read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, after that you can probably leave ol Robert Heinlein alone.


Sorry, but I want to suggest that Time Enough for Love is a great, underrated Heinlein book and deserves to be checked out. Even though it kinda goes off the rails at the end, most of the book is fantastic, including a section focused on life on a frontier world - a sort of mixture of sci-fi ideas and frontier western fiction. This particular section really hits the heartstrings in a mature way by its completion and I'd recommend it to anybody who is looking for literary quality in science fiction.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 19 2013 01:23 GMT
#242
^Fair enough, that's one of the middling Heinlein novels that's not unbearable. "Friday" is also pretty good. At all costs avoid "The Cat Who Walked Through Walls"
shikata ga nai
itkovian
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States1763 Posts
January 19 2013 22:40 GMT
#243
On January 19 2013 09:48 farvacola wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 19 2013 08:15 itkovian wrote:
Just got Ulysses. I saw at the top of a lot of "top 100" lists, and I've never read anything by Joyce before so I figured I should go at it. Looks dense though, and long...

I highly recommend you warm up for Ulysses with A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man or Dubliners, ideally both. That is not to say that you cannot read Ulysses straight up, only that the odds of finishing the book and being satisfied with your read through improve dramatically with at least some prior familiarity in regards to Joyce's prose.


Interesting, thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'll swing by the book store and pick one of them up. If I were to chose just one, which would you suggest?
=)=
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-19 22:49:51
January 19 2013 22:49 GMT
#244
On January 20 2013 07:40 itkovian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 19 2013 09:48 farvacola wrote:
On January 19 2013 08:15 itkovian wrote:
Just got Ulysses. I saw at the top of a lot of "top 100" lists, and I've never read anything by Joyce before so I figured I should go at it. Looks dense though, and long...

I highly recommend you warm up for Ulysses with A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man or Dubliners, ideally both. That is not to say that you cannot read Ulysses straight up, only that the odds of finishing the book and being satisfied with your read through improve dramatically with at least some prior familiarity in regards to Joyce's prose.


Interesting, thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'll swing by the book store and pick one of them up. If I were to chose just one, which would you suggest?

Well, with Ulysses in mind, I would definitely opt for Portrait of the Young Artist, as it is a singular novel and is a far better primer in Joyce's style of indirect free speech than Dubliners, which is a collection of short stories that, while certainly excellent, does not prepare a reader for Joyce's more difficult writing the way his other works do. In any case, enjoy, Joyce is one of my favorites.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
hpty603
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States262 Posts
January 19 2013 22:59 GMT
#245
I finished this around the fourth or so, amazing book even though it's quite condensed from his 3 volume set: [image loading]

I'm about to finish this book, another good book though I disagree with a few of the points he makes: [image loading]

AND I GOT THIS WITH MY CHRISTMAS MONEY. ONLY $350 OMGOMGOMGOMG I'M SO EXCITED: [image loading]
I only play 2v2 to see how much of the map I can turn purple ~ Jinro
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 19 2013 23:02 GMT
#246
hpty you should watch this course to go along with your Gibbon, it's awesome:
http://oyc.yale.edu/history/hist-210
shikata ga nai
tree.hugger
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Philadelphia, PA10406 Posts
January 19 2013 23:05 GMT
#247
Currently reading:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Walkable City: How Downtown Can Save America, One Step at a Time
By Jeff Speck

A witty and accessible collection of arguments that show how walkable downtowns are part of the answer to nearly every urban planning problem faced by US cities. I wish every politician would read this. And every traffic engineer, but then again, traffic engineers should all be arrested anyway.

On Deck:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity
By Katherine Boo

Ever since I read Katherine Boo's legendary New Yorker article Opening Night, I've been a huge fan of her narrative journalism. She spent several years living in a Mumbai Slum, and this book is her final work. It's won the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book award, and probably rivaled Hilary Mantel for how many end of the year top 10 lists it was on. Can't wait to read this.

In the Hole
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Fairness and Freedom: A History of Two Open Societies: New Zealand and the United States
By David Hackett Fischer

This book showed up on quite a few top ten lists. It's really heavy, so I'll probably plod through this when I have more time, but David Hackett Fischer is a great historian, and I'm really interested to read his discussion of how the US and New Zealand came to have such different societies. As an American, I'm always curious how my country ended up going in such a weird direction in many political and sociological spheres, and I hope this book can shed some light on that. I have high hopes!
ModeratorEffOrt, Snow, GuMiho, and Team Liquid
Lumi
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States1616 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-19 23:11:12
January 19 2013 23:08 GMT
#248
Best historians I've ever come across by a solid margin. Started with Roussean & Revolution - highly recommend it. If the prospect of the whole series, or randomly reading one in a series is too unappealing, you can easily google up the pdf for the "Lessons of History" book which is an aside analysis of what history is and what is to be learned from it. Only read a few chapters of that so far, busy reading The Age of Reason now. Might wet your appetite, though. I wasn't really big on history until I started reading from the Durants.

[image loading]
twitter.com/lumigaming - DongRaeGu is the One True Dong - /r/onetruedong
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
January 19 2013 23:20 GMT
#249
Is behemoth from Franze Neumann worth it for its content or is it just for historiographic purposes ?
Not sure if i'm willing to invest the time in it.
And does someone have a good read on the republic of Weimar, in english or french, sadly I can't read german (and that sucks qq)
Zest fanboy.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-19 23:23:30
January 19 2013 23:23 GMT
#250
You want just a history of Weimar? All of the early Frankfurt School work is about the Weimar republic, but it's critique not a historical presentation. I recommend Siegfried Kracauer "The Salaried Masses" as an introduction to this type of stuff, it's really accessible and interesting.
shikata ga nai
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
January 20 2013 00:20 GMT
#251
On January 20 2013 08:23 sam!zdat wrote:
You want just a history of Weimar? All of the early Frankfurt School work is about the Weimar republic, but it's critique not a historical presentation. I recommend Siegfried Kracauer "The Salaried Masses" as an introduction to this type of stuff, it's really accessible and interesting.


yeah if it's possible to get something different from the Frankfurt School it'd be cool, i've dealt a bit with it but I'd rather have some later work, especially after the 70's if possible.
Zest fanboy.
sam!zdat
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5559 Posts
January 20 2013 00:22 GMT
#252
Hmm, I'm not really sure then, sorry

I can recommend a really cool novel from the period, though: Irmgard Keun, "The Artificial Silk Girl"
shikata ga nai
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
January 20 2013 12:21 GMT
#253
On January 20 2013 08:05 tree.hugger wrote:
Currently reading:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Walkable City: How Downtown Can Save America, One Step at a Time
By Jeff Speck

A witty and accessible collection of arguments that show how walkable downtowns are part of the answer to nearly every urban planning problem faced by US cities. I wish every politician would read this. And every traffic engineer, but then again, traffic engineers should all be arrested anyway.

On Deck:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity
By Katherine Boo

Ever since I read Katherine Boo's legendary New Yorker article Opening Night, I've been a huge fan of her narrative journalism. She spent several years living in a Mumbai Slum, and this book is her final work. It's won the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book award, and probably rivaled Hilary Mantel for how many end of the year top 10 lists it was on. Can't wait to read this.

In the Hole
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Fairness and Freedom: A History of Two Open Societies: New Zealand and the United States
By David Hackett Fischer

This book showed up on quite a few top ten lists. It's really heavy, so I'll probably plod through this when I have more time, but David Hackett Fischer is a great historian, and I'm really interested to read his discussion of how the US and New Zealand came to have such different societies. As an American, I'm always curious how my country ended up going in such a weird direction in many political and sociological spheres, and I hope this book can shed some light on that. I have high hopes!


Thanks for such a beautifully formatted post! I have Behind the Beautiful Forever on my bucket list, I'll move it up a few spots as a result of your post. Let us know how you liked it after you finish reading it.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Deleuze
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United Kingdom2102 Posts
January 20 2013 14:28 GMT
#254
On January 20 2013 07:59 hpty603 wrote:
AND I GOT THIS WITH MY CHRISTMAS MONEY. ONLY $350 OMGOMGOMGOMG I'M SO EXCITED: [image loading]


For the love of god please can you put those volumes in order!
“An image of thought called philosophy has been formed historically and it effectively stops people from thinking.” ― Gilles Deleuze, Dialogues II
PVJ
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Hungary5221 Posts
January 20 2013 16:06 GMT
#255
On January 20 2013 08:05 tree.hugger wrote:
Currently reading:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Walkable City: How Downtown Can Save America, One Step at a Time
By Jeff Speck

A witty and accessible collection of arguments that show how walkable downtowns are part of the answer to nearly every urban planning problem faced by US cities. I wish every politician would read this. And every traffic engineer, but then again, traffic engineers should all be arrested anyway.

On Deck:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity
By Katherine Boo

Ever since I read Katherine Boo's legendary New Yorker article Opening Night, I've been a huge fan of her narrative journalism. She spent several years living in a Mumbai Slum, and this book is her final work. It's won the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book award, and probably rivaled Hilary Mantel for how many end of the year top 10 lists it was on. Can't wait to read this.

In the Hole
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Fairness and Freedom: A History of Two Open Societies: New Zealand and the United States
By David Hackett Fischer

This book showed up on quite a few top ten lists. It's really heavy, so I'll probably plod through this when I have more time, but David Hackett Fischer is a great historian, and I'm really interested to read his discussion of how the US and New Zealand came to have such different societies. As an American, I'm always curious how my country ended up going in such a weird direction in many political and sociological spheres, and I hope this book can shed some light on that. I have high hopes!

Put the first and third on my list, many thanks for 'em!
The heart's eternal vow
hpty603
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States262 Posts
January 20 2013 16:37 GMT
#256
On January 20 2013 23:28 Deleuze wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 20 2013 07:59 hpty603 wrote:
AND I GOT THIS WITH MY CHRISTMAS MONEY. ONLY $350 OMGOMGOMGOMG I'M SO EXCITED: -img-


For the love of god please can you put those volumes in order!

Hah, it's just a picture I got online. Trust me, mine are in order otherwise it would make me itchy
I only play 2v2 to see how much of the map I can turn purple ~ Jinro
RoyalCheese
Profile Joined May 2010
Czech Republic745 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-20 16:49:27
January 20 2013 16:44 GMT
#257
Just finished: 10 minute tougness (training for spartan race and tough mudder
This is pretty decent. The principles can be applied into any part of life, not just sport. I just started applying them, though. I will see in 5 months if they work or not
[image loading]
Almost finished: The power of Now
This book is amazing. I would strongly recommend it to anyone.
[image loading]
Next read: Loosing my virginity
I hear this is fun read about interesting guy. Looking forward to it.
[image loading]
Kennigit: "Chill was once able to retire really young, but decided to donate his entire salary TO SUPPORT ESPORTS"
lungic
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden123 Posts
January 20 2013 16:51 GMT
#258
Endymion - Dan Simmons
A let down, after two of my favorite books of all time (Hyperion cantos). I didn't feel it for this one. More hocus pocus less sci-fi. Less of everything actually.. I hope he has something grand planned for the ending of this series as I will be reading that too.
And I gotta tell you, after all this dissapointing sci-fi reading (namely 1100 pages worth of Peter Hamilton) I'm starting to see Giorgio Tsoukalos face everytime I read the word architects.

"Rise of Endymion" is better than Endymion, not terrific mind you, but better.

Peter Hamilton : I'm assuming you're talking about rambling void?
Judas Unchained was decent, so ofc one would guess that the void series would be similar... but no.






Mowr
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden791 Posts
January 20 2013 19:41 GMT
#259
Read this a while ago
[image loading]

I guess it reminds me the most of the Dresden series but takes place in a bit more original universe and maybe has a bit more serious tone. I really liked it. It is not often I stumble upon one of those books that gets hard to quit reading when you really should to go to sleep, but this is one of them. I like how in made me really care about all the characters and their individual stories and motivations. If you like the urban fantasy or noir kind of stories I suggest giving it a try
Kill one man and they'll call you a murderer. Kill an army of men and they'll call you a general. But kill all men and they'll call you a god.
nikj
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada669 Posts
January 20 2013 20:31 GMT
#260
I just finished + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
and not sure where to go next..

Am I the only person in the world who refuses to read Game of Thrones until it's actually finished? I ended up reading parts of the WoT 3 or more times to refresh before reading the any new books that came out. Mind you I enjoyed them but I'm not sure I want to devote as much time to GoT. I think I will just wait until they are complete.

So I think I'll read this for now:
[image loading]
Y'know sometimes people ask me y'know like "What's your religion and stuff?" And I'm like "y' know it's like RTS." Uh, and they're like, "What's that?" And I'm like, "Y'know it's kinda like, kinda like Buddism."
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 165 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 686
UpATreeSC 116
JuggernautJason36
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 18587
firebathero 186
Rush 131
Dewaltoss 97
Sexy 25
Shine 23
Bale 13
yabsab 10
Djem5 1
Dota 2
Gorgc8074
qojqva1404
monkeys_forever105
Counter-Strike
fl0m1561
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1998
crisheroes1259
Liquid`Hasu709
XaKoH 147
MindelVK15
Other Games
Grubby2964
summit1g1966
Beastyqt699
FrodaN677
ceh9634
ArmadaUGS204
byalli199
C9.Mang0159
KnowMe158
Hui .147
QueenE103
Mew2King66
shahzam41
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV178
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream75
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 10
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• intothetv
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 30
• 80smullet 13
• FirePhoenix6
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis1707
League of Legends
• TFBlade1131
Other Games
• imaqtpie884
• WagamamaTV253
• Shiphtur243
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 2m
Stellar Fest
18h 2m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.