• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:59
CEST 16:59
KST 23:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9210 users

Classical Music - Page 10

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-07 10:44:26
March 07 2011 10:23 GMT
#181
On March 07 2011 15:44 Wala.Revolution wrote:
I didn't expect you to be a classic aficionado rabidch.

Pretty new to this but I remember reading how much value purchase it was so I bought it immediately when I saw it in Korea, along with Karajan 60s and Symphony Edition.

I am a fine connoisseur of many things.

Edit:
and before I get warned for making bad contentless posts:

LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
Kleinmuuhg
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Vanuatu4091 Posts
March 07 2011 10:44 GMT
#182
Everything from George Winston
Especially Forest and Summer
This is our town, scrub
matjlav
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany2435 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-08 05:34:22
March 08 2011 05:31 GMT
#183
Bumping with some fun fast Russian music. I played bass for this during high school. Really fun piece. It has such a great pulse driving it that playing a string instrument with the song feels like dancing.


seaofsaturn
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States489 Posts
March 08 2011 05:57 GMT
#184
Glad this thread was unearthed.

Posting some Brahms (cuz its epic) and Schubert (cuz he was one of the first of the Romantic era which is my favorite era).

A Brahms Violin Concerto

the other parts of the video: + Show Spoiler +







A Schubert Piano Sonata
starts about 30 seconds in:
Photoshop is over-powered.
Ansinjunger
Profile Joined November 2010
United States2451 Posts
March 08 2011 07:04 GMT
#185
If you're new to classical, the first place you ought to go is the "overplayed" stuff. Chances are you've heard it way less than "I Want it That Way."

Here are some uber-popular favorites from the well-known composers.

Bach: Air for the G String
Beethoven: Symphony # 7 (a french horn playing friend of mine loves some of the prominent high notes from the horn in the 1st and 4th movements).
Bizet: The opera "Carmen"
Brahms: Intermezzo in c# minor op 117 no. 3
Chopin: Basically any nocturne or mazurka, but especially nocturnes. Op 27 no. 2 in D flat major is superb
Dvorak: His New World Symphony (#9) is most obvious choice, but he's also famous for cello concerto and Slavonic Dances
Hadyn: His trumpet concerto is rather fantasic, plus he wrote 104 symphonies ^^
Liszt: Les Préludes
Mahler: Symphony #5, 4th movment "adagietto"
Carl Orff: "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana. This one is used in commercials a lot.
Puccini: "Nessun Dorma" from Turandot. It's basically the most famous opera aria of all time.
Rachmaninoff: The. Third. Piano Concerto in d minor. Also known as "Rach 3" (pronounced "roc 3")
Johann Strauss Jr: The Beautiful Blue Danube waltz. You probably heard this many times before, and in "Titannic."
Richard Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra, you already know this too, but probably didn't know its composer. He also wrote two of the raciest operas of all time, Elektra and Salome.
Tchaikovsky: Sixth Symphony in b minor. The guy died 9 days after its premiere :/ He even claimed it his best work. But it also despairs, be warned.
Verdi: "Requiem"
Wagner: "Prelude and Liebestod" It's a condensed version of his opera "Tristan and Isolde." Basically it's the overture and finale of the opera, but the finale part will be instrumental instead of sung like in the opera proper. It's an easier way to get into a four hour opera :D, since frankly that can be rather exhausting. But lemme tell you when you get to that final scene after listening to the whole opera, it's that much more satisfying. I cried totally unexpectedly.

No, I didn't forget Mozart, but I'd go on and on forever anyways and so I save the favorite for last. If you are worried you won't like opera, begin with "The Magic Flute." I began there, and though I've "branched out" to other opera composers, this is my favorite of any music. His symphony #41 has a really nice posting on youtube concerning the 4th movement, in which the person who uploaded the video talks about the 5 part fugue near the end. Oh and I've never tried posting a youtube video...we'll see what happens.




Some other favorites that fall under "Pledge right now and we'll end this drive"--the music always played at NPR pledge drives: Barber's Adagio, Elgar's Nimrod, Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez, Handel's Royal Fireworks, and the list keeps going. Oh yea, Debussy <3 Claire De Lune.
Ianuus
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Australia349 Posts
March 08 2011 07:46 GMT
#186
This thread needs Kleiber. And more Brahms.



Also, Mendelssohn needs a lot more love. I never hear anyone mention him or his awesome symphonies - as perfect as Mozart, but with oh so much more spirit.

JasperGrimm
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada100 Posts
March 08 2011 07:51 GMT
#187
I listen to a lot of piano music when I'm playing, especially Chopin
McDaniels92
Profile Joined August 2010
United States49 Posts
March 08 2011 08:14 GMT
#188
I've loved classical musical since I was a kid. My favorite piece is by far the swan:



My favorite instruments are the piano and cello. Their sound just triggers the most emotion in me for some reason.

I could never listen to it while playing starcraft. It calms me down too much. I find that music that amps me up makes me play better and with higher APM.
Breakman
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia16 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-08 08:38:07
March 08 2011 08:37 GMT
#189
Howl's moving castle. I can abit of this on guitar

slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
March 08 2011 08:40 GMT
#190
I see a lot of Liszt and I totally agree. I imagine his popularity is mainly due to the outrageous difficulty of his pieces for amateurs (that's me,) and how pleasant they sound in the able hands of master. Un Sospiro, or the 3rd Etude is my personal favorite

"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
ChrissCross
Profile Joined December 2010
Romania8 Posts
March 08 2011 09:03 GMT
#191

Cello+Rock=BEST Music
TheMusiC
Profile Joined January 2004
United States1054 Posts
March 08 2011 10:23 GMT
#192
On March 07 2011 13:45 matjlav wrote:
A less-known piece by Hindemith is a favorite of mine as well. I played an arrangement of it in my high school band, and it was just a blast. Unfortunately the rest of the movements in the work kind of suck imo. I honestly thought that the band arrangement kind of worked better than the orchestra, because the final section of the piece has a really kickass horn part, and my high school band had an amazing 8-member horn section. Hearing them play that part gave me chills every time. Unfortunately, you can barely hear the horns in every recording I've ever heard.

I've looked quite hard to find a recording where the horns really play out at the end, but I've been unsuccessful



I haven't listened to much classical music since high school... I really need to start again. I feel like listening to classical music honestly makes me a better person, haha.


even though it is a youtube clip, i've actually found this to be a fantastic recording of the march. to say that the rest of the movements suck would not be right, as this piece is one of the greatest showpieces of the 20th century and probably one of the coolest showpieces ever.
Amanebak
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Czech Republic528 Posts
March 08 2011 10:48 GMT
#193
Hi, TL.
There are a lot of composers that are not so well known as they deserve. But, it is sometimes better for their works not being discovered by wide society...
I liked Nielsen very much. Here's his fifth symphony (only 2 movements but large)
Nielsen 5
And something easier for listening: A cantata by Vivaldi:
Cessate, omai Cessate
BW
Amanebak
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Czech Republic528 Posts
March 08 2011 11:44 GMT
#194
On February 26 2011 05:08 Daliniues wrote:


Can't believe I forgot about this thread, Shame indeed for letting it fall to such a state. Good luck in grad school!


I don't know much about baroque music but that recording does not sound much authentic. I prefer this one :D
Pachelbel
BW
Rising_Phoenix
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States370 Posts
March 08 2011 16:47 GMT
#195
On March 08 2011 19:48 Amanebak wrote:
Hi, TL.
There are a lot of composers that are not so well known as they deserve. But, it is sometimes better for their works not being discovered by wide society...
I liked Nielsen very much. Here's his fifth symphony (only 2 movements but large)
Nielsen 5
And something easier for listening: A cantata by Vivaldi:
Cessate, omai Cessate


Ahh Nielsen, I played his quintet and worked on his concerto plenty of times.

There's no actually good recording on youtube of the concerto but this doesn't seem completely horrific.

I lied, it's still awful. There's good recordings but they're hard to find for free.

Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes
triangle
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States3803 Posts
March 08 2011 16:50 GMT
#196
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/benjamin_zander_on_music_and_passion.html

Fantastic talk about classical music from Benjamin Zander.
Also known as waterfall / w4terfall
Sm3agol
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2055 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-08 18:03:47
March 08 2011 18:02 GMT
#197
On March 08 2011 16:04 Ansinjunger wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
If you're new to classical, the first place you ought to go is the "overplayed" stuff. Chances are you've heard it way less than "I Want it That Way."

Here are some uber-popular favorites from the well-known composers.

Bach: Air for the G String
Beethoven: Symphony # 7 (a french horn playing friend of mine loves some of the prominent high notes from the horn in the 1st and 4th movements).
Bizet: The opera "Carmen"
Brahms: Intermezzo in c# minor op 117 no. 3
Chopin: Basically any nocturne or mazurka, but especially nocturnes. Op 27 no. 2 in D flat major is superb
Dvorak: His New World Symphony (#9) is most obvious choice, but he's also famous for cello concerto and Slavonic Dances
Hadyn: His trumpet concerto is rather fantasic, plus he wrote 104 symphonies ^^
Liszt: Les Préludes
Mahler: Symphony #5, 4th movment "adagietto"
Carl Orff: "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana. This one is used in commercials a lot.
Puccini: "Nessun Dorma" from Turandot. It's basically the most famous opera aria of all time.
Rachmaninoff: The. Third. Piano Concerto in d minor. Also known as "Rach 3" (pronounced "roc 3")
Johann Strauss Jr: The Beautiful Blue Danube waltz. You probably heard this many times before, and in "Titannic."
Richard Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra, you already know this too, but probably didn't know its composer. He also wrote two of the raciest operas of all time, Elektra and Salome.
Tchaikovsky: Sixth Symphony in b minor. The guy died 9 days after its premiere :/ He even claimed it his best work. But it also despairs, be warned.
Verdi: "Requiem"
Wagner: "Prelude and Liebestod" It's a condensed version of his opera "Tristan and Isolde." Basically it's the overture and finale of the opera, but the finale part will be instrumental instead of sung like in the opera proper. It's an easier way to get into a four hour opera :D, since frankly that can be rather exhausting. But lemme tell you when you get to that final scene after listening to the whole opera, it's that much more satisfying. I cried totally unexpectedly.

No, I didn't forget Mozart, but I'd go on and on forever anyways and so I save the favorite for last. If you are worried you won't like opera, begin with "The Magic Flute." I began there, and though I've "branched out" to other opera composers, this is my favorite of any music. His symphony #41 has a really nice posting on youtube concerning the 4th movement, in which the person who uploaded the video talks about the 5 part fugue near the end. Oh and I've never tried posting a youtube video...we'll see what happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcly8-RGhgw


Some other favorites that fall under "Pledge right now and we'll end this drive"--the music always played at NPR pledge drives: Barber's Adagio, Elgar's Nimrod, Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez, Handel's Royal Fireworks, and the list keeps going. Oh yea, Debussy <3 Claire De Lune.


Going to add to this list of "classical music for those not into classical music but want to be".

Bach - Prelude of Cello Suite 1. Pretty much the most famous cello piece ever, and for good reason imo.
Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata......but the entire movement. Obviously the first is vastly overplayed because it's so easy and sounds so majestic, but the third is an entirely different beast and is just as awesome in its own way.
Chopin..........oh, I do so love Chopin. His Ballade in G is justly famous, and his Military and Heroic Polonaise are both easy to get into. They are so grand and epic they're impossible not to like.
Rachmaninoff - Prelude in G minor. Enough said.
Tchaikovsky - 4th Symphony...saw this performed live a month or so ago and was blown away. I honestly don' think there is anything by Tchaikovsky that I really dislike unlike most composers. At least I don't know of any.
Wagner - if you can find any of his more instrumental works, definitely give them a listen. The man loves his brass.
Dvorak - His Slavonic Dances are underrated imo. All 16 are worth listening too, and some are downright amazing.
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-09 12:16:31
March 09 2011 12:01 GMT
#198
paganinininininininininini
+ Show Spoiler +

+ Show Spoiler +

+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isyxbLJb29w


+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nk0GU6T504


+ Show Spoiler +

+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9zYrBW9jVQ

+ Show Spoiler +

+ Show Spoiler +

+ Show Spoiler +
Muczynski's desperate measures. can't find a good version of it so you can youtube one for your own satisfaction

+ Show Spoiler +

+ Show Spoiler +

+ Show Spoiler +

+ Show Spoiler +

LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
DarthXX
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia998 Posts
March 09 2011 12:56 GMT
#199
Don't know if this counts as "Classical" but it is played by a string orchestra (I think) anywho one of my favourite pieces



Also this one is pretty awesome too



Anime has lots of good tracks like these in it, if you guys like these ones I could go through my list and post some more, not sure if they count as classical but they're certainly not pop

klo8
Profile Joined August 2010
Austria1960 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-09 21:32:57
March 09 2011 21:23 GMT
#200
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIwypCFayBQ&



The forth movement of Mahler's 9th symphony. It's a little daunting due to its length (almost half an hour) but oh man is it ever worth listening to. Extremely spiritual and at times almost minimal in orchestration, especially towards the end. Look how long there is no applause at the end of the piece. I need to listen to this live one day.

A piece in a similar mood would be Mahler's "Der Abschied" (The farewell), an orchestral song from the "Lied von der Erde" cycle.
This post is clearly not a hurr, as you can see from the graph, the durr never intersects with the derp.
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1424
WardiTV1023
OGKoka 273
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 277
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 6938
Bisu 1822
Shuttle 985
Horang2 700
Larva 569
Stork 506
BeSt 388
EffOrt 371
actioN 274
Mini 254
[ Show more ]
Rush 190
hero 155
Light 155
Mind 150
910 95
Zeus 93
Snow 73
Mong 69
Barracks 61
Sea.KH 60
Shinee 59
sorry 47
JYJ 45
Bale 35
ToSsGirL 30
Yoon 30
Killer 23
Aegong 22
Sexy 21
HiyA 21
zelot 16
Terrorterran 13
soO 12
scan(afreeca) 11
Free 10
Sacsri 10
yabsab 7
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc5738
qojqva2305
Dendi1074
febbydoto35
Counter-Strike
fl0m3554
Fnx 550
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko484
Other Games
singsing2913
hiko1002
B2W.Neo766
TKL 650
Livibee378
XBOCT250
Liquid`VortiX237
Hui .225
XaKoH 155
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 24
• mYiSmile119
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 29
• iopq 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3474
• Jankos2245
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
1h 1m
Replay Cast
8h 1m
Afreeca Starleague
19h 1m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
20h 1m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.