• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:59
CEST 16:59
KST 23:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9210 users

Classical Music - Page 9

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 13 Next All
Rising_Phoenix
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States370 Posts
February 27 2011 19:36 GMT
#161
NO MENTION OF STRAVINSKY!?!?!? HOW DARE YOU!!!

I shall remedy this now:
Part 1 of Petrushka
+ Show Spoiler +


Firebird
+ Show Spoiler +


Golijov: The Dreams and Prayers of Isaac the Blind:
+ Show Spoiler +

This one is kinda personal because it was recorded at my conservatory with faculty members and the principal clarinetist of the Cleveland orchestra.

Messiaen: Quartet for the End of Time
+ Show Spoiler +


+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwOOzxEelqk&feature=related

The tone row is the same in this song:

Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
February 27 2011 20:59 GMT
#162


Overplayed?
Maybe.

Superb?
Absolutely!
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Kazzoo
Profile Joined October 2010
France368 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-27 23:17:54
February 27 2011 23:17 GMT
#163
On February 28 2010 10:23 boesthius wrote:
i'm a classical guitar player - it's my major atm and i absolutely love Barrios' works. i'm working on La Catedral right now for my junior recital. the 3rd movement is a bitch, pure tremolo T_T


This song has been torturing me for months, but still absolutely beautiful. I would advice listening to John William's version. By far the best interpreter of Barrios.
zgl
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States1055 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-27 23:24:58
February 27 2011 23:24 GMT
#164
Wagner (read the The Perfect Wagnerite for a gentle and entertaining introduction to Wagner)

evanthebouncy!
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States12816 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-27 23:25:55
February 27 2011 23:24 GMT
#165
On February 28 2011 08:17 levelnoobz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2010 10:23 boesthius wrote:
i'm a classical guitar player - it's my major atm and i absolutely love Barrios' works. i'm working on La Catedral right now for my junior recital. the 3rd movement is a bitch, pure tremolo T_T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeyfG5TWpfY

This song has been torturing me for months, but still absolutely beautiful. I would advice listening to John William's version. By far the best interpreter of Barrios.


ah it's shame... I rly need to play more guitar I'm still playing nub pieces hahhHa, I can't read notes, it takes me 1 minute to read a bar lolol

And cathedral is... very very beautiful, I don't think I can play it for another 3 years it's beyond me T_T
Life is run, it is dance, it is fast, passionate and BAM!, you dance and sing and booze while you can for now is the time and time is mine. Smile and laugh when still can for now is the time and soon you die!
klo8
Profile Joined August 2010
Austria1960 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-28 11:39:43
February 28 2011 11:32 GMT
#166
Not enough Bruckner in here, that man was a genius.

Symphony No. 3, 1. Sehr langsam, misterioso
+ Show Spoiler +


For anyone interested in Beethoven's piano sonatas, you can buy Friedrich Gulda's recording of all 32 sonatas + the Piano concertos for ~23€. Amazing value and definitely my favourite recording of the sonatas, this is what it looks like:
[image loading]
This post is clearly not a hurr, as you can see from the graph, the durr never intersects with the derp.
Flanagan
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States166 Posts
March 06 2011 00:13 GMT
#167
On February 28 2011 04:36 Rising_Phoenix wrote:
NO MENTION OF STRAVINSKY!?!?!? HOW DARE YOU!!!


I'm surprised you didn't mention Rite of Spring, as most people would probably recognize it the most out of most of his pieces...

I play oboe, goin into college as an undergrad real soon, and I've just been looking around for good pieces... while I was look for a particular Britten piece, I came across something I'd never seen or heard before...

+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJQzwjKnu0Q
It's just... so beautiful. I can't say that I like how the orchestra/oboist does it, it's probably a combination that the recording sounds kinda bad/old, among other things... but I think you can get an idea. I actually just got done playing this at a little concert.
e_i_pi_1_0
Profile Joined September 2009
933 Posts
March 06 2011 00:49 GMT
#168
I'm surprised that not that many people mentioned the Chopin Ballade in G Minor, Op. 23. It's one of my favorite pieces ever, up there with the Moonlight Sonata (1st and 3rd movements) and the Fantasie Impromptu. If it wasn't for university taking up all my time, I'd have spent some time picking up the rest of the G-minor Ballade. The Moonlight and Fantasie I had to play for a piano exam a few years ago. Still play them sometimes for fun.

One piece I always wanted to pick up was La Campanella by Liszt. Never could find the time, though.



Another piece which I find nice to listen to is the Yellow River Concerto 2nd movement.


Jaedong and Hwaseung Oz fan.
ZappaSC
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark215 Posts
March 06 2011 00:54 GMT
#169
On February 28 2011 04:36 Rising_Phoenix wrote:
NO MENTION OF STRAVINSKY!?!?!? HOW DARE YOU!!!

I shall remedy this now:
Part 1 of Petrushka
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkg_lJeHmjs


Firebird
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tGA6bpscj8


Golijov: The Dreams and Prayers of Isaac the Blind:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fE1o_tS8P8

This one is kinda personal because it was recorded at my conservatory with faculty members and the principal clarinetist of the Cleveland orchestra.

Messiaen: Quartet for the End of Time
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WICLxcveoIg


+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwOOzxEelqk&feature=related

The tone row is the same in this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkF4JD2rO3Q



Agree!! But HOW DARE YOU NOT MENTION THE RITE?
But you made me find this which is quite interesting:
sevia
Profile Joined May 2010
United States954 Posts
March 07 2011 03:31 GMT
#170
On March 06 2011 09:54 Razz wrote:
Agree!! But HOW DARE YOU NOT MENTION THE RITE?
But you made me find this which is quite interesting:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gZbMOq_Ge8


I'm just now starting to explore classical, it was pieces like this that got me interested: The Rite of Spring scene IV, Spring Rounds. Couldn't find this particular rendition anywhere but Grooveshark unfortunately. Most other versions don't get the tempo quite right in my opinion.. but it's an immense, moving song no matter what. Also on that link is Adagio for Strings and Agnus Dei, two more favorites.
최지성 Bomber || 김동환 viOLet || 고병재 GuMiho
triangle
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States3803 Posts
March 07 2011 03:34 GMT
#171
...I can't believe I just saw a post on stravinsky that didn't mention the right of spring.

His war symphony and violin concerto in D are really good too (along with his other ballets of course)
Also known as waterfall / w4terfall
Wala.Revolution
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
7584 Posts
March 07 2011 03:43 GMT
#172
On February 28 2011 20:32 klo8 wrote:
Not enough Bruckner in here, that man was a genius.

Symphony No. 3, 1. Sehr langsam, misterioso
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKYu-LnATgA


For anyone interested in Beethoven's piano sonatas, you can buy Friedrich Gulda's recording of all 32 sonatas + the Piano concertos for ~23€. Amazing value and definitely my favourite recording of the sonatas, this is what it looks like:
[image loading]


I bought this for a slightly higher price because it was imported. Still excellent value.
Stuck.
Rising_Phoenix
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States370 Posts
March 07 2011 04:27 GMT
#173
On March 06 2011 09:54 Razz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2011 04:36 Rising_Phoenix wrote:
NO MENTION OF STRAVINSKY!?!?!? HOW DARE YOU!!!

I shall remedy this now:
Part 1 of Petrushka
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkg_lJeHmjs


Firebird
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tGA6bpscj8


Golijov: The Dreams and Prayers of Isaac the Blind:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fE1o_tS8P8

This one is kinda personal because it was recorded at my conservatory with faculty members and the principal clarinetist of the Cleveland orchestra.

Messiaen: Quartet for the End of Time
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WICLxcveoIg


+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwOOzxEelqk&feature=related

The tone row is the same in this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkF4JD2rO3Q



Agree!! But HOW DARE YOU NOT MENTION THE RITE?
But you made me find this which is quite interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gZbMOq_Ge8


Honestly I prefer Petroushka over the Rite of Spring, so I put that in there.

Though I do like this version of Rite of Spring on youtube as it had the original choreography.


Since we're in Ballet land, I'll through in some Debussy. Jeux. Not the best recording but at least it's with the choreography:


I saw Black Swan recently and I was kinda disappointed. The interpretation of Tchaik was WAY too fast and in general was pretty sloppy.

Apparently the Turn of the Screw by Britten was made into a movie and put on youtube. Here is part one! (I played this recently, Bb, Bass, and A clarinet). The opera doesn't actually start until about 7:20. I almost want to put NSFW on it, kind-a creepy. Which this opera is.


Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes
matjlav
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany2435 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-07 04:52:28
March 07 2011 04:45 GMT
#174
Brahms Symphony 2 (especially the 1st movement) is probably my favorite piece of music... Pure musical bliss right there.




A less-known piece by Hindemith is a favorite of mine as well. I played an arrangement of it in my high school band, and it was just a blast. Unfortunately the rest of the movements in the work kind of suck imo. I honestly thought that the band arrangement kind of worked better than the orchestra, because the final section of the piece has a really kickass horn part, and my high school band had an amazing 8-member horn section. Hearing them play that part gave me chills every time. Unfortunately, you can barely hear the horns in every recording I've ever heard.

I've looked quite hard to find a recording where the horns really play out at the end, but I've been unsuccessful



I haven't listened to much classical music since high school... I really need to start again. I feel like listening to classical music honestly makes me a better person, haha.
Lorken
Profile Joined November 2010
New Zealand804 Posts
March 07 2011 05:40 GMT
#175
I love classical music, but I don't listen to much variety of it though. Haven't listened to it since I started liking dubstep, but here's my favorite ones:

Lux Aterna - Clint Mansell


Vivaldi - Winter - Allegro Non Molto


Vivaldi - Autumn - Allegro



LOUD NOISES!!!
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
March 07 2011 06:20 GMT
#176
On March 07 2011 12:43 Wala.Revolution wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2011 20:32 klo8 wrote:
Not enough Bruckner in here, that man was a genius.

Symphony No. 3, 1. Sehr langsam, misterioso
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKYu-LnATgA


For anyone interested in Beethoven's piano sonatas, you can buy Friedrich Gulda's recording of all 32 sonatas + the Piano concertos for ~23€. Amazing value and definitely my favourite recording of the sonatas, this is what it looks like:
[image loading]


I bought this for a slightly higher price because it was imported. Still excellent value.

cheap stuff. i think its in my top 5 cycles (or somewhere around there)
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
Wala.Revolution
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
7584 Posts
March 07 2011 06:44 GMT
#177
I didn't expect you to be a classic aficionado rabidch.

Pretty new to this but I remember reading how much value purchase it was so I bought it immediately when I saw it in Korea, along with Karajan 60s and Symphony Edition.
Stuck.
HeIios
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden2523 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-07 10:11:34
March 07 2011 10:09 GMT
#178
On February 28 2011 04:36 Rising_Phoenix wrote:
NO MENTION OF STRAVINSKY!?!?!? HOW DARE YOU!!!

I shall remedy this now:
Part 1 of Petrushka
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkg_lJeHmjs


Firebird
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tGA6bpscj8




This, I love Stravinsky. Mad genious.
I can also be found listening to Liszt, most recently "transcendental etudes" with Boris Berezovsky.
[edit] Got the name wrong,
SmoKim
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark10305 Posts
March 07 2011 10:18 GMT
#179
how did i not know of this thread :O this is awesome

i don't feel so alone anymore :D
"LOL I have 202 supply right now (3 minutes later)..."LOL NOW I HAVE 220 SUPPLY SUP?!?!?" - Mondragon
SchOOl_VicTIm
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
Greece2394 Posts
March 07 2011 10:20 GMT
#180
On February 28 2011 08:17 levelnoobz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2010 10:23 boesthius wrote:
i'm a classical guitar player - it's my major atm and i absolutely love Barrios' works. i'm working on La Catedral right now for my junior recital. the 3rd movement is a bitch, pure tremolo T_T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeyfG5TWpfY

This song has been torturing me for months, but still absolutely beautiful. I would advice listening to John William's version. By far the best interpreter of Barrios.


No no please listen to this:
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1424
WardiTV1023
OGKoka 273
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 277
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 6938
Bisu 1822
Shuttle 985
Horang2 700
Larva 569
Stork 506
BeSt 388
EffOrt 371
actioN 274
Mini 254
[ Show more ]
Rush 190
hero 155
Light 155
Mind 150
910 95
Zeus 93
Snow 73
Mong 69
Barracks 61
Sea.KH 60
Shinee 59
sorry 47
JYJ 45
Bale 35
ToSsGirL 30
Yoon 30
Killer 23
Aegong 22
Sexy 21
HiyA 21
zelot 16
Terrorterran 13
soO 12
scan(afreeca) 11
Free 10
Sacsri 10
yabsab 7
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc5738
qojqva2305
Dendi1074
febbydoto35
Counter-Strike
fl0m3554
Fnx 550
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko484
Other Games
singsing2913
hiko1002
B2W.Neo766
TKL 650
Livibee378
XBOCT250
Liquid`VortiX237
Hui .225
XaKoH 155
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 24
• mYiSmile119
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 29
• iopq 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3474
• Jankos2245
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
1h 1m
Replay Cast
8h 1m
Afreeca Starleague
19h 1m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
20h 1m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.