• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:46
CEST 17:46
KST 00:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7892 users

Classical Music - Page 8

Forum Index > Media & Entertainment
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 13 Next All
Alak
Profile Joined October 2008
Sweden380 Posts
February 27 2011 07:19 GMT
#141
In case anyone has missed this performance, the King's Singers performing Masterpiece is just pure brilliance.

Amateurish. Nearsighted. A waste of my time and everyone else's.
Isomer
Profile Joined November 2010
United States186 Posts
February 27 2011 07:19 GMT
#142
Oh my oh my, here we go with my music history major...

Top pick:
Bartok String Quartet No. 4 Mvt. 5
+ Show Spoiler +


Now, Let's go by composer:

-Chopin: Piano concertos, nocturnes, and ballades. Particularly, I like ballades 1 and 4, and I love basically every single nocturne except maybe one or two of them.
-Beethoven: HIS STRING QUARTETS! ZOMG. If you haven't listened to these, what are you doing with yourself? I know he's a symphony and piano sonata guy, but seriously. Go listen to 132
-Philip Glass: check out his string quartets and his piano works. Really meditative stuff.
-Mozart: Go with the operas. He's definitely top 3 opera composer (along with Wagner and Verdi). Also check out his masses, the requiem for sure.
-Bach: please, check out the B minor mass. please. also, st john passion. do it.

And here's the obscurity pick:
Carlo Gesualdo
This guy wrote basically the most dissonant music before the 20th century, IN THE 1500s!!!! He wrote madrigals that were just OUT OF THIS WORLD for his time. He also got in a sticky situation because he caught his wife commiting adultery so he killed her and the guy....Guess I would write dissonant music if I was him, too.
There's nothing cooler than being proud of what you love
IamBach
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1059 Posts
February 27 2011 07:29 GMT
#143
The person above me left out the wonderful Mahler and his wonderful symphonies(any but especially 8)
Also try Faure's Requiem. Auditory Orgasm IMO
Just listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__lCZeePG48
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
February 27 2011 07:36 GMT
#144
On February 27 2011 15:39 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2011 15:28 Spinfusor wrote:
None of these are 'model' performances (esp. the Furtwangler), but they all are interesting in some way. Incidentally, making me pick one performance is really mean =[.

Also, a NYP Toscanini 9 does exist, but has only had one CD release (which was on Dante) from memory.


Haha, don't worry, this is exactly what I'm looking for. I have a pretty good collection of all the model Beethovens already + a few curiosities, and it's the more "interesting" ones that I'm really setting out to look for now =)

And sorry about making you pick one haha xD! Feel free to toss in anything else you want to make a case for, I'll definitely get around to it eventually.

if you didnt see my tennstedt recommendation i think his live performances are excellent (1,3,5,7,9 no evens). he is known for his live mahler which are among the best but i think his beethoven is worth hearing if you're looking for outlier recordings. also golovanov for 1st symphony, one of the most little recorded conductors but amazingly intense and powerful recordings

+ Show Spoiler +


also

thread turning into what you and everybody else said... youtube videos and most people dont bother to watch them, i know i broke this rule but can people please spoiler their videos so it doesnt take up the whole page
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
Yannix
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands6 Posts
February 27 2011 13:15 GMT
#145
i am one of them who listenes very peaceful and relaxing music while playin starcraft. i just find it very enjoyable. i have to admit! piano songs are the best xD
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
February 27 2011 15:15 GMT
#146


Sigh...

This song, forever and ever.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Bloodash
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands1384 Posts
February 27 2011 15:59 GMT
#147
goosebumps every time:

I usually play classical music when I bike to work, great way of sharpening the mind and getting ready for a new day, throughout the day I usually listen to some stuff with more of a beat
I'll bite this hand that feeds me, and take it for my own!
IamBach
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1059 Posts
February 27 2011 16:02 GMT
#148
On February 28 2011 00:59 Bloodash wrote:
goosebumps every time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwHpDOWhkGk
I usually play classical music when I bike to work, great way of sharpening the mind and getting ready for a new day, throughout the day I usually listen to some stuff with more of a beat

Wow I remember when I played this piece for the first time...
one of Bach's best solo instrumental pieces.
Just listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__lCZeePG48
IamBach
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1059 Posts
February 27 2011 16:05 GMT
#149
On February 28 2011 00:15 Torte de Lini wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtU71VzWMvo

Sigh...

This song, forever and ever.

I would not call this piece classical though it is very nice. Great movie too.
Just listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__lCZeePG48
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
February 27 2011 16:10 GMT
#150
On February 28 2011 01:05 etheovermind wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2011 00:15 Torte de Lini wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtU71VzWMvo

Sigh...

This song, forever and ever.

I would not call this piece classical though it is very nice. Great movie too.


What's classical exactly then? Does it need a specific era?



Is this better?
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Vestige
Profile Joined November 2009
United States303 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-27 17:16:14
February 27 2011 17:15 GMT
#151


marsalis was playing in atlanta this week.....and i missed it i am very disappoint.

sooooooo goood
"You'd wish it were hell"
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
February 27 2011 17:22 GMT
#152
On February 28 2011 02:15 Vestige wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34jnYqxNJNU

marsalis was playing in atlanta this week.....and i missed it i am very disappoint.

sooooooo goood


I love Marsalis take on Vince Guaralardi's music.
Truly superb!
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Spinfusor
Profile Joined June 2007
Australia410 Posts
February 27 2011 17:23 GMT
#153
On February 27 2011 14:40 Mr. Wiggles wrote:
Hey, so I'm entirely new to Classical music, but really like it when I hear it, and have decided to get more into it.

So my question is, is there anywhere I can go to read more about the different genres? What's a good starting point for classical music? Of what I've heard, I really like piano music.

I don't know if it makes any difference what I listen to regularly in terms of taste in Classical music, but if it does I'll share it.

Thanks! :p

Sounds like this is what you're more or less looking for:
http://www.classical.net/music/rep/

Honestly it might be worth considering pirating some 25-50 GB's of music to sort out what your tastes are. Buying classical music can really be quite difficult.
PartyBiscuit
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada4525 Posts
February 27 2011 17:35 GMT
#154
On February 27 2011 16:19 Alak wrote:
In case anyone has missed this performance, the King's Singers performing Masterpiece is just pure brilliance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXhAz0DOpMU

Wow thanks for sharing, that was amazing.
the farm ends here
IamBach
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1059 Posts
February 27 2011 17:42 GMT
#155
On February 28 2011 02:23 Spinfusor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2011 14:40 Mr. Wiggles wrote:
Hey, so I'm entirely new to Classical music, but really like it when I hear it, and have decided to get more into it.

So my question is, is there anywhere I can go to read more about the different genres? What's a good starting point for classical music? Of what I've heard, I really like piano music.

I don't know if it makes any difference what I listen to regularly in terms of taste in Classical music, but if it does I'll share it.

Thanks! :p

Sounds like this is what you're more or less looking for:
http://www.classical.net/music/rep/

Honestly it might be worth considering pirating some 25-50 GB's of music to sort out what your tastes are. Buying classical music can really be quite difficult.

Don't pirate classical music if you actually like it. Classical music has too little fans for people to be pirating it like they do with rap or country.
Just listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__lCZeePG48
pred470r
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Bulgaria3265 Posts
February 27 2011 17:45 GMT
#156
A masterpiece imo.
+ Show Spoiler +
IamBach
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1059 Posts
February 27 2011 17:46 GMT
#157
On February 28 2011 01:10 Torte de Lini wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2011 01:05 etheovermind wrote:
On February 28 2011 00:15 Torte de Lini wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtU71VzWMvo

Sigh...

This song, forever and ever.

I would not call this piece classical though it is very nice. Great movie too.


What's classical exactly then? Does it need a specific era?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlprozGcs80&feature=fvst

Is this better?

This is bad classical. Over played piece. Maybe it was beautiful when it was first heard but now its just old.
And the Spirited Away piece, well I can't exactly describe why I don't feel its classical because now a days "classical music" encompasses so much, but just listen to some of the other pieces posted in this thread and you should be able to hear a difference. Its not the instruments that make music "classical music".
Just listen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__lCZeePG48
phosphorylation
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2935 Posts
February 27 2011 17:49 GMT
#158
On February 28 2011 02:42 etheovermind wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2011 02:23 Spinfusor wrote:
On February 27 2011 14:40 Mr. Wiggles wrote:
Hey, so I'm entirely new to Classical music, but really like it when I hear it, and have decided to get more into it.

So my question is, is there anywhere I can go to read more about the different genres? What's a good starting point for classical music? Of what I've heard, I really like piano music.

I don't know if it makes any difference what I listen to regularly in terms of taste in Classical music, but if it does I'll share it.

Thanks! :p

Sounds like this is what you're more or less looking for:
http://www.classical.net/music/rep/

Honestly it might be worth considering pirating some 25-50 GB's of music to sort out what your tastes are. Buying classical music can really be quite difficult.

Don't pirate classical music if you actually like it. Classical music has too little fans for people to be pirating it like they do with rap or country.

I think it is quite acceptable to pirate some just to make extending your horizons easier. I have personally 80 gb of classical music (some pirated, some not), but what's important is that I also own 200+ CDs and often go to concerts to support it.
Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> http://www.redbubble.com/people/shoenberg3
phosphorylation
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2935 Posts
February 27 2011 17:57 GMT
#159
On February 28 2011 02:46 etheovermind wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2011 01:10 Torte de Lini wrote:
On February 28 2011 01:05 etheovermind wrote:
On February 28 2011 00:15 Torte de Lini wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtU71VzWMvo

Sigh...

This song, forever and ever.

I would not call this piece classical though it is very nice. Great movie too.


What's classical exactly then? Does it need a specific era?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlprozGcs80&feature=fvst

Is this better?

This is bad classical. Over played piece. Maybe it was beautiful when it was first heard but now its just old.
And the Spirited Away piece, well I can't exactly describe why I don't feel its classical because now a days "classical music" encompasses so much, but just listen to some of the other pieces posted in this thread and you should be able to hear a difference. Its not the instruments that make music "classical music".


A beautiful piece would remain beautiful, no matter how many times it has been played. That said, the canon really is ridiculously overplayed. There are much better things to listen to, but this can serve as the introduction to bigger and better things for noobies.
Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> http://www.redbubble.com/people/shoenberg3
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-27 18:48:08
February 27 2011 18:47 GMT
#160
Mm...

What of this song:


This song is probably the best that I can think of...
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 14m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 4636
Bisu 1495
Shuttle 1084
Stork 543
BeSt 462
EffOrt 395
Mini 318
Horang2 292
actioN 256
Rush 245
[ Show more ]
Light 141
hero 134
Mind 114
910 89
Zeus 74
Snow 71
Mong 69
Barracks 52
sorry 50
Shinee 49
JYJ 37
Bale 27
Terrorterran 27
Killer 24
ToSsGirL 23
Sexy 23
HiyA 18
yabsab 18
scan(afreeca) 13
zelot 12
Free 10
Sacsri 10
Dota 2
Gorgc5255
qojqva2633
Dendi1259
Counter-Strike
fl0m3090
Fnx 732
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko516
Other Games
singsing2541
hiko937
TKL 900
B2W.Neo760
Livibee349
ceh9337
XBOCT251
Hui .222
Liquid`VortiX198
XaKoH 152
Chillindude18
Beastyqt5
Organizations
StarCraft 2
IntoTheiNu 1092
WardiTV820
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
StarCraft 2
TaKeTV 13
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile132
• LUISG 25
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 10
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3196
Other Games
• Shiphtur11
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
14m
Replay Cast
7h 14m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 14m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
19h 14m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 8h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.