• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:15
CEST 22:15
KST 05:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8424 users

Legality Question - Page 6

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Aphelion
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States2720 Posts
February 21 2007 07:34 GMT
#101
On February 21 2007 16:32 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 16:28 Aphelion02 wrote:
On February 21 2007 16:22 CharlieMurphy wrote:
If its legal then why would I feel bad about doing it.


Cuz its wrong, douchebag.


If the law doesn't say its wrong why do you say its wrong? Thats my point 'douchebag'.


Because I have morals, douchebag.
But Garimto was always more than just a Protoss...
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
February 21 2007 07:36 GMT
#102
On February 21 2007 16:33 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 16:30 CharlieMurphy wrote:
The next time I see something of value on the ground I'm going to stand up point and yell to show everyone "look someone lost this here, do whatever you want with it" instead of picking it up. Apparently I'm an 'asshole with no moral values' and someone else should pick it up.


how about next time you see something on the ground you pick it up and try to give it back to the person who owns it. Especially if its a fucking phone, its really easy to find out who owns it.

I guess you could do that or make a thread on a gaming site asking if its illegal to use other peoples things without their consent.


Actually its not, The screen is cracked and I can't see anything at all of who it belonged to. There is no way find out who owns it.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
CaucasianAsian
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Korea (South)11601 Posts
February 21 2007 07:36 GMT
#103
What a coincidence. I had lost my credit card, and within 2 days, I had a bill of $1050 worth of random junk. I canceled my credit card, and got the charges taken off. But still that guy STOLE a credit card, and you are doing the same thing. You steal a phone, and use the phone service even though someone else paid for it, for their own personal use. You are stealing. That is illegal. You are no better than the fool who stole my credit card.
Calendar@ Fish Server: `iOps]..Stark
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
February 21 2007 07:38 GMT
#104
On February 21 2007 16:36 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 16:33 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
On February 21 2007 16:30 CharlieMurphy wrote:
The next time I see something of value on the ground I'm going to stand up point and yell to show everyone "look someone lost this here, do whatever you want with it" instead of picking it up. Apparently I'm an 'asshole with no moral values' and someone else should pick it up.


how about next time you see something on the ground you pick it up and try to give it back to the person who owns it. Especially if its a fucking phone, its really easy to find out who owns it.

I guess you could do that or make a thread on a gaming site asking if its illegal to use other peoples things without their consent.


Actually its not, The screen is cracked and I can't see anything at all of who it belonged to. There is no way find out who owns it.


You said earlier you had their numbers?
Aphelion
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States2720 Posts
February 21 2007 07:38 GMT
#105
On February 21 2007 16:36 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 16:33 {88}iNcontroL wrote:
On February 21 2007 16:30 CharlieMurphy wrote:
The next time I see something of value on the ground I'm going to stand up point and yell to show everyone "look someone lost this here, do whatever you want with it" instead of picking it up. Apparently I'm an 'asshole with no moral values' and someone else should pick it up.


how about next time you see something on the ground you pick it up and try to give it back to the person who owns it. Especially if its a fucking phone, its really easy to find out who owns it.

I guess you could do that or make a thread on a gaming site asking if its illegal to use other peoples things without their consent.


Actually its not, The screen is cracked and I can't see anything at all of who it belonged to. There is no way find out who owns it.


But you found out. How or why I don't care, but now that you have the information that no longer serves as an excuse not to return it. Except of course, you could just admit your an asshole and you'd probably get away with it. But there is no longer any ground for pretending your a person with any sense of responsibility, consideration, or morals, or that you are just doing what any normal person would do in that situation. You just being a selfish douchebag, pure and simple
But Garimto was always more than just a Protoss...
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
February 21 2007 07:40 GMT
#106
I think I'm just going to smash the phone into pieces so that no one else can use it. That is probably the safest, best, and easiest thing to do.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
MarcX
Profile Joined February 2005
Netherlands772 Posts
February 21 2007 07:41 GMT
#107
Although my personal view on this matter is different from CharlieMurphy's, I believe strongly that everyone is entitled to their own morals. Do not try to force your morals upon another! If you wish to effect a change in somebody's morals, try a more convincing argument than "you are a douchebag."

This kind of social attitude (I don't agree with you, so you are a douchebag) generally does more harm than good. Not that many of you self-righteous bastards give a shit what does harm and what does good, which shows the hipocrisy of some of you people's criticism.

Futhermore, I don't believe that anybody ever has a moral "obligation" to help others. I used to believe this myself, and I have often tried arguing for it, but it simply doesn't work. Such an "obligation" kind of ruins the point, doesn't it? Let us collaborate and gain advantage over those who refuse to, but allow each individual a personal choice to work for or against your cause as they see fit.

Obviously such unbounded freedom as I idealize here is not going to work. People tend to disagree. Sometimes, disagreement causes conflict, and allowing conflict to freely rage across the world can't be good. That's why we have laws. Laws provide a framework that theoretically allows maximum freedom with minimum conflict.

I can understand CharlieMurphy's legal concerns. I don't think he is out to cause a conflict with anyone (disregarding, for the moment, his virtual life, that sometimes consists of trolling internet forums). His morals are none of your business. If you wish, and he doesn't mind, you may debate those with him, but I think you are out of line to start swearing simply because he has an unusual viewpoint.

To answer the original question, yes, it is probably illegal, and you could probably get into trouble. Your utility argument (I need it more than they do) doesn't work in court: in our society, needing something doesn't give you the right to take it. Buying stuff (phone service), with dollars that belong to somebody else, - without that somebody's permission - is larceny.

To answer your other question, why people sometimes go out of their way to help others: because, someday, they might find themselves in a position to need help, and then someone they have helped in the past might offer it. Sure, you might never hear from these people again, but then again, you might need them someday. Whether you believe in karma or not, the way you treat other people tends to come back to you. That's why.

And, besides that (and I think this goes for many of us) I'd give you a few respect points too, if you grew some balls and stuck up for friend and neighbour. Especially since you or people close to you seem to have been wronged in the past.
«A fool and his freedom are soon parted» ~ Richard Stallman, Founder FSF
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
February 21 2007 07:45 GMT
#108
On February 21 2007 16:41 MarcX wrote:
Although my personal view on this matter is different from CharlieMurphy's, I believe strongly that everyone is entitled to their own morals. Do not try to force your morals upon another! If you wish to effect a change in somebody's morals, try a more convincing argument than "you are a douchebag."

This kind of social attitude (I don't agree with you, so you are a douchebag) generally does more harm than good. Not that many of you self-righteous bastards give a shit what does harm and what does good, which shows the hipocrisy of some of you people's criticism.

Futhermore, I don't believe that anybody ever has a moral "obligation" to help others. I used to believe this myself, and I have often tried arguing for it, but it simply doesn't work. Such an "obligation" kind of ruins the point, doesn't it? Let us collaborate and gain advantage over those who refuse to, but allow each individual a personal choice to work for or against your cause as they see fit.

Obviously such unbounded freedom as I idealize here is not going to work. People tend to disagree. Sometimes, disagreement causes conflict, and allowing conflict to freely rage across the world can't be good. That's why we have laws. Laws provide a framework that theoretically allows maximum freedom with minimum conflict.

I can understand CharlieMurphy's legal concerns. I don't think he is out to cause a conflict with anyone (disregarding, for the moment, his virtual life, that sometimes consists of trolling internet forums). His morals are none of your business. If you wish, and he doesn't mind, you may debate those with him, but I think you are out of line to start swearing simply because he has an unusual viewpoint.

To answer the original question, yes, it is probably illegal, and you could probably get into trouble. Your utility argument (I need it more than they do) doesn't work in court: in our society, needing something doesn't give you the right to take it. Buying stuff (phone service), with dollars that belong to somebody else, - without that somebody's permission - is larceny.

To answer your other question, why people sometimes go out of their way to help others: because, someday, they might find themselves in a position to need help, and then someone they have helped in the past might offer it. Sure, you might never hear from these people again, but then again, you might need them someday. Whether you believe in karma or not, the way you treat other people tends to come back to you. That's why.

And, besides that (and I think this goes for many of us) I'd give you a few respect points too, if you grew some balls and stuck up for friend and neighbour. Especially since you or people close to you seem to have been wronged in the past.


Obviously I can't combine words as well as this guy can. But he is basically saying what I have been trying to say. You're all wrong for saying I'm wrong just because you think so.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
brian
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States9643 Posts
February 21 2007 07:46 GMT
#109
no we're not
they're called morals, norms, just your every day common decency.
How do you think laws are made? People feel a certain way, and it's usually the right way.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 07:49:13
February 21 2007 07:48 GMT
#110
Did you even read his post? If someone's morals agree with law then why should they change their morals?
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
brian
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States9643 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 07:49:39
February 21 2007 07:48 GMT
#111
we're right because you're the kind of person that makes the world a bad place and one that you envision. obviously it's easy for you to say everyone's asking to get fucked when you'd just as quickly fuck someone.

and yes, yes i did. it's a rareity i ever agree with anything MarkX has to say.

He also pointed out it was illegal, and that we're all right for calling you a pile of shit.
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
February 21 2007 07:49 GMT
#112
HAHHAA

Don't FORCE your morals on another person? FUCKING HOLY SHIT.

Well it is my moral that you give me 100$ on PS right now. WHo are you to tell me otherwise? I mean, don't tell me my morals are wrong. They are mine. And how dare you force your morals on me. Now gimme gimme.
lil.sis
Profile Blog Joined March 2005
China4650 Posts
February 21 2007 07:49 GMT
#113
you're a sack of shit OP
好好喝喝天天快乐
Cpt Obvious
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Germany3073 Posts
February 21 2007 07:49 GMT
#114
i want him to lose his cellphone and me to find it.
Nobody ever reads signatures of people like me, do they?
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 07:54:41
February 21 2007 07:52 GMT
#115
On February 21 2007 16:49 Cpt Obvious wrote:
i want him to lose his cellphone and me to find it.


nice morals. You're all hypocrites. I'm done with this dsicussion


I'M NOT GOING TO USE THE PHONE. WHO CARES WHAT I DO WITH IT THERE AFTER. ITS NONE OF ANYONE'S CONCERN.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
Myxomatosis
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States2392 Posts
February 21 2007 07:54 GMT
#116
On February 21 2007 16:52 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 16:49 Cpt Obvious wrote:
i want him to lose his cellphone and me to find it.


nice morals. You're all hypocrites. I'm done with this dsicussion


I'M NOT GOING TO USE THE PHONE. WHO CARES WHAT I DO WITH IT THERE AFTER.

why dont you try to give the fucking phone back? you said you could "easily" find out who the owner is.
hasuprotoss
Profile Blog Joined March 2004
United States4681 Posts
February 21 2007 07:55 GMT
#117
Charlie, I don't know what to tell you man. Being in a position where I feel I'm the only one that is right isn't very fun for me at all. I just deal with it, but I heed other's advice on why I am wrong.

Good deeds do well for everything. If you give it back to some old lady you might get cookies. And let's be honest, what would you rather have, cookies or a broken cell phone? I would opt for the cookies.

I know it's elementary, but it appears that is what you need at the moment.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?viewdays=0&show_part=5 <--- Articles Section on TL
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
February 21 2007 07:55 GMT
#118
OH SHIT. Criticism debunked! Cpt. Obvious would wish to find it!

NICE GOING OBVIOUS now we lost! and CharlieMurphy won!
Aphelion
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States2720 Posts
February 21 2007 07:55 GMT
#119
On February 21 2007 16:41 MarcX wrote:
Although my personal view on this matter is different from CharlieMurphy's, I believe strongly that everyone is entitled to their own morals. Do not try to force your morals upon another! If you wish to effect a change in somebody's morals, try a more convincing argument than "you are a douchebag."


No one is forcing their morals on him. No one can make him do something or believe something he doesn't wish to. But it is equally our right to express our disapproval and disagreement. Morality is not purely a private matter, it has close ties to civic culture and public debate. Many people would consider not criticizing such behavior when they see it immoral in itself.


This kind of social attitude (I don't agree with you, so you are a douchebag) generally does more harm than good. Not that many of you self-righteous bastards give a shit what does harm and what does good, which shows the hipocrisy of some of you people's criticism.


People here are not just calling him out because they have a disagreement with him; it happens to be that his views would make him someone very unpleasant for most of us to be around in real life, or some one we would rather not associate with or make friends with. One of the terms we usually use for some one like that is "douchebag". Its not mindless insults we're throwing out there, we're also stating the flat truth.


Futhermore, I don't believe that anybody ever has a moral "obligation" to help others. I used to believe this myself, and I have often tried arguing for it, but it simply doesn't work. Such an "obligation" kind of ruins the point, doesn't it? Let us collaborate and gain advantage over those who refuse to, but allow each individual a personal choice to work for or against your cause as they see fit.

Obviously such unbounded freedom as I idealize here is not going to work. People tend to disagree. Sometimes, disagreement causes conflict, and allowing conflict to freely rage across the world can't be good. That's why we have laws. Laws provide a framework that theoretically allows maximum freedom with minimum conflict.


Its might not be an moral obligation, but it certainly is a moral choice. And your choice reflects your character. Coming together with the choice is also responsibility, which means you should have balls to own up to what that choice reflects of you as a person and not try to invent ingenuous reasons to have the best of both worlds. If your willing to do something that assholish, don't bristle when people call you an asshole.


I can understand CharlieMurphy's legal concerns. I don't think he is out to cause a conflict with anyone (disregarding, for the moment, his virtual life, that sometimes consists of trolling internet forums). His morals are none of your business. If you wish, and he doesn't mind, you may debate those with him, but I think you are out of line to start swearing simply because he has an unusual viewpoint.


Again, morals are not purely a private matter, and the fact that he posted this situation on a public situation makes it fair game for us to comment on his behavior. He has his right to his beliefs, but we have just as much right to criticize it.
But Garimto was always more than just a Protoss...
baal
Profile Joined March 2003
10708 Posts
February 21 2007 07:56 GMT
#120
im pretty sure many have alrady said this before but...

Return it you fucking piece of shity thief
Im back, in pog form!
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
ComeBackTV 943
SteadfastSC576
EnkiAlexander 68
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 576
ZombieGrub149
JuggernautJason73
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 23541
Soulkey 269
Mini 161
White-Ra 131
ToSsGirL 25
Trap 24
NotJumperer 20
Shine 19
League of Legends
Doublelift1355
Counter-Strike
fl0m1352
shoxiejesuss580
C9.Mang0161
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King84
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2792
Grubby2592
Liquid`Hasu1925
Other Games
ArmadaUGS1867
B2W.Neo564
shahzam318
Pyrionflax190
UpATreeSC69
Dewaltoss48
Trikslyr45
Railgan21
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV194
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream97
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 7
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 39
• Azhi_Dahaki31
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV347
League of Legends
• TFBlade1057
• Noizen201
Other Games
• Scarra1493
• imaqtpie1110
• Shiphtur293
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 46m
OSC
16h 46m
Stellar Fest
16h 46m
OSC
1d 3h
Stellar Fest
1d 16h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.