• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:46
CEST 09:46
KST 16:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8974 users

Legality Question

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 05:37:08
February 21 2007 04:35 GMT
#1
I know I should return something when I find it. But I found this cell phone on the ground the screen is cracked and won't display anything but it still works to make and recieve calls. Its a Nokia 6030
[image loading]


Anyways being the super sleuth that I am I found out who owns the phone, the phone's number, the person's home phone, name, etc.

The phone service is still active on the phone.

So my question is, Legally can I use the phone to make calls etc. until they cancel their service on that phone? I mean its like finders keepers if they didn't protect themselves by suspending the service can I make calls until they do?

I'm not planning on being a dick about it or anything and running up a huge bill. I just want to use it for the time being until I get my own phone.

I know there is no law that says I have to return anything I find, but can I use their service?

EDIT- Poll on the bottom of this page, read through before you vote.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
AmorVincitOmnia
Profile Joined March 2005
Kenya3846 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 04:42:10
February 21 2007 04:41 GMT
#2
seriously, i'd just call em up and give it back. karma man.

and yes that sounds kind of illegal.
r.i.p. Bud Shank May 27, 1926 - April 2, 2009
j0ehoe
Profile Joined September 2006
United States2705 Posts
February 21 2007 04:43 GMT
#3
On February 21 2007 13:41 AmorVincitOmnia wrote:
seriously, i'd just call em up and give it back. karma man.

and yes that sounds kind of illegal.


karma indeed. and yea, you can get in trouble for something. somoene did this with my bros phone n we got cops
Only communists disconnect.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 06:40:04
February 21 2007 04:43 GMT
#4
On February 21 2007 13:41 AmorVincitOmnia wrote:
seriously, i'd just call em up and give it back. karma man.

and yes that sounds kind of illegal.


On February 21 2007 13:43 j0ehoe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 13:41 AmorVincitOmnia wrote:
seriously, i'd just call em up and give it back. karma man.

and yes that sounds kind of illegal.


karma indeed. and yea, you can get in trouble for something. somoene did this with my bros phone n we got cops


I don't care about karma, I just care if I can get arrested.

I didn't steal it though, my friend's mom found it on the ground. I know they can look at their bill and see who was called and stuff. What did the cops do to the person who used the phone?
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
February 21 2007 04:43 GMT
#5
Unless there is tracking on it, you can probably get away with using it for normal use until the people realize they've lost their phone and cancel the service. If you just want the phone and not the service you can just take out the SIM card.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
AmorVincitOmnia
Profile Joined March 2005
Kenya3846 Posts
February 21 2007 04:44 GMT
#6
On February 21 2007 13:43 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 13:41 AmorVincitOmnia wrote:
seriously, i'd just call em up and give it back. karma man.

and yes that sounds kind of illegal.


I don't care about karma, I just care if I can get arrested.


ok well i don't think you'd get ARRESTED, but they could probably take you to court if they really felt like it.
r.i.p. Bud Shank May 27, 1926 - April 2, 2009
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 04:45:24
February 21 2007 04:44 GMT
#7
Yes, it's illegal. The calls you make are going to that persons bill. Thus you are then stealing. Return it.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
jtan
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Sweden5891 Posts
February 21 2007 04:44 GMT
#8
haha~~

stop being an asshole and give it back
Enter a Uh
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
February 21 2007 04:45 GMT
#9
On February 21 2007 13:43 decafchicken wrote:
Unless there is tracking on it, you can probably get away with using it for normal use until the people realize they've lost their phone and cancel the service. If you just want the phone and not the service you can just take out the SIM card.
I know that, The phone sucks i'd return that in a heartbeat.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
DrainX
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Sweden3187 Posts
February 21 2007 04:45 GMT
#10
The exact same thing happended to me on a train. I called "Dad" on the phone and apparently the phone belonged to a little girl on the other side of the country who had dropped it when she was traveling home alone. I sent it back to her by mail.
Pressure
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
7326 Posts
February 21 2007 04:47 GMT
#11
i foudn a phone at school once and i thought it was mine
apparently the jingle went to candy shop instead of the t-jingle
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 04:54:02
February 21 2007 04:47 GMT
#12
On February 21 2007 13:44 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Yes, it's illegal. The calls you make are going to that persons bill. Thus you are then stealing. Return it.


Yes, but any smart person would suspend the service for the SIM card. If they don't turn it off its their fault. If they just leave it on and wait for someone to use the service thats like entrapment. Besides I don't have to return the phone. I just don't have to use their sim card.

I have lost my phone before and had it returned and I didn't give that person shit. Why should I go out of my way and return it to them (especially since a normal person would not have been able to figure out who owned the phone)?


Man I wish I knew some Law people who weren't biased towards karma and 'doing the right thing'.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
AmorVincitOmnia
Profile Joined March 2005
Kenya3846 Posts
February 21 2007 04:53 GMT
#13
On February 21 2007 13:47 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 13:44 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Yes, it's illegal. The calls you make are going to that persons bill. Thus you are then stealing. Return it.


Yes, but any smart person would suspend the service for the SIM card. If they don't turn it off its their fault. If they just leave it on and wait for someone to use the service thats like entrapment.

I have lost my phone before and had it returned and I didn't give that person shit. Why should I go out of my way and return it to them (especially since a normal person would not have been able to figure out who owned the phone)?


i lose my phone constantly. i'm so bad with it, i don't know what it is about cell phones but they just dissapear when they come into my possesion. i also keep all my numbers in the phone books of said phones. i have like maybe 3 numbers memorized, so when i lose my phone i lose all those numbers and it takes like 3 months to get the majority of them back.
r.i.p. Bud Shank May 27, 1926 - April 2, 2009
Sun
Profile Joined March 2006
United States551 Posts
February 21 2007 04:54 GMT
#14
gee Murphy you already come off as being a dick already who is immoral so why ask us Mr. Common Sense?
~AreS]
Profile Joined March 2005
Canada2170 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 04:55:35
February 21 2007 04:54 GMT
#15
Who cares if it's stupid on their part. The simple truth is that it's not your phone, not your services and if you use it, you're to blame. That's like leaving your wireless unprotected and then having your neighbor say "Well, you left it unprotected, not my fault".

Bullshit.

Return the phone or put it back where you found it.

And no, it's not legal. Unauthorized use if memory serves.
dronebabo
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
10866 Posts
February 21 2007 04:55 GMT
#16
--- Nuked ---
il0seonpurpose
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Korea (South)5638 Posts
February 21 2007 04:55 GMT
#17
u should return it, they could give u a reward. its a good thing to do, dont be stupid plz.
Locked
Profile Joined September 2004
United States4182 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 04:56:14
February 21 2007 04:55 GMT
#18
On February 21 2007 13:47 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 13:44 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Yes, it's illegal. The calls you make are going to that persons bill. Thus you are then stealing. Return it.


Yes, but any smart person would suspend the service for the SIM card. If they don't turn it off its their fault. If they just leave it on and wait for someone to use the service thats like entrapment. Besides I don't have to return the phone. I just don't have to use their sim card.

I have lost my phone before and had it returned and I didn't give that person shit. Why should I go out of my way and return it to them (especially since a normal person would not have been able to figure out who owned the phone)?


Man I wish I knew some Law people who weren't biased towards karma and 'doing the right thing'.


why are you so defensive, we're telling you it's wrong and illegal --;

if you just want to know "can i get away with it" then.... probably yes you could

should you? probably not
UMS map pack http://teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=50442
Cpt Obvious
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Germany3073 Posts
February 21 2007 04:57 GMT
#19
On February 21 2007 13:47 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 13:44 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Yes, it's illegal. The calls you make are going to that persons bill. Thus you are then stealing. Return it.


Yes, but any smart person would suspend the service for the SIM card. If they don't turn it off its their fault. If they just leave it on and wait for someone to use the service thats like entrapment. Besides I don't have to return the phone. I just don't have to use their sim card.

I have lost my phone before and had it returned and I didn't give that person shit. Why should I go out of my way and return it to them (especially since a normal person would not have been able to figure out who owned the phone)?


Man I wish I knew some Law people who weren't biased towards karma and 'doing the right thing'.


are you kidding me? because you are an asshole doesn't mean everyone is. twisted logic ftw -_-
Nobody ever reads signatures of people like me, do they?
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
February 21 2007 04:58 GMT
#20
On February 21 2007 13:54 ~AreS] wrote:
Who cares if it's stupid on their part. The simple truth is that it's not your phone, not your services and if you use it, you're to blame. That's like leaving your wireless unprotected and then having your neighbor say "Well, you left it unprotected, not my fault".

Bullshit.

Return the phone or put it back where you found it.


Ok, I think this can be considered theft of services if I make calls with their SIM. There is no law saying I have to give any of the hardware back though. Maybe I should start calling them and bugging them to see how smart they are.

Ok new poll:

[image loading]

Poll: What to do?
(Vote): Use the phone, fuck it.
(Vote): Return it and hope for a reward.
(Vote): Scrap the phone, don't use their service.
(Vote): Prank call them to high hell


..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 14m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 434
Hyuk 275
910 97
Yoon 38
NotJumperer 34
Bale 28
ZergMaN 24
Dewaltoss 24
yabsab 15
Dota 2
XcaliburYe22
League of Legends
JimRising 512
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King172
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1600
Khaldor166
Other Games
ceh9523
singsing501
olofmeister442
WinterStarcraft399
Happy293
Sick218
Livibee177
ArmadaUGS37
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick682
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream296
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH58
• LUISG 18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2350
League of Legends
• Stunt538
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
3h 14m
Stellar Fest
5h 14m
The PondCast
1d 2h
OSC
1d 5h
Stellar Fest
1d 5h
OSC
1d 16h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.