• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:54
CEST 06:54
KST 13:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)27Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8579 users

Legality Question - Page 3

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
BroOd
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Austin10833 Posts
February 21 2007 05:25 GMT
#41
In many states it's the law that found property over a certain dollar amount must be turned over to local police. Many places also have an additional law that using found property without notifying the police is a form of larceny.

Not only are they being billed while you're benefiting from the service, you clearly have means to contact the original owner.

How stupid you think they are, or how someone else might have reacted in this situation is completely irrelevant.
ModeratorSIRL and JLIG.
EnergyBlast
Profile Joined December 2006
United States61 Posts
February 21 2007 05:26 GMT
#42
lol he's not a dick, if i didnt have my own cell phone i might use one if found it also, but it is a risk to use it to call peoeple you know because then if the owner of the phone wanted to question the person you called they could and if there is enough evidence against you they could win a lawsuit. You can either take your chances and use the phone, give it back(if you lost a cell phone you would be extremely happy to have someone return it), or have fun and mass prank call people and the owner of the phone will be blamed for the prank calls, but then the previous posters would be right calling you a dick. =P
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 05:43:41
February 21 2007 05:26 GMT
#43
Finally someone who has something important to contribute to the thread. Thanks Brood.

I live in California This phone is a cheapy 20$ one and its broken anyways. Phone details

It can't be considered larceny can it? If I just ditch the SIM card and keep the phone but not use their service?
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
iCmB
Profile Joined December 2002
France525 Posts
February 21 2007 05:32 GMT
#44
Well, you know... it is the same as finding some lost credit card...

Find it is not a crime. Use it is one.

It reminds me my grandma lost her phone. It lasted days before she was aware of it (Thank god, it was the dog who stole it).

So saying that as the SIM Card was not blocked, you can use it. It is simply a wrong excuse.
U said Bw ?
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
February 21 2007 05:33 GMT
#45
On February 21 2007 14:32 iCmB wrote:
Well, you know... it is the same as finding some lost credit card...

Find it is not a crime. Use it is one.

It reminds me my grandma lost her phone. It lasted days before she was aware of it (Thank god, it was the dog who stole it).

So saying that as the SIM Card was not blocked, you can use it. It is simply a wrong excuse.


Actually its not even close to being the same. But I get your point. I think I'll call them and talk to them.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
IdiotWind
Profile Joined February 2007
Canada321 Posts
February 21 2007 05:37 GMT
#46
Finders Keepers may apply on the schoolground (perhaps where you spend your time?) but it certainly does not apply in real life.

Return the phone you douche. Keeping it is THEFT because you know who owns it. THEFT IS WRONG. Didn't your parents teach you anything?
http://thelastgosu.blogspot.com/
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 05:42:29
February 21 2007 05:39 GMT
#47
On February 21 2007 14:37 IdiotWind wrote:
Finders Keepers may apply on the schoolground (perhaps where you spend your time?) but it certainly does not apply in real life.

Return the phone you douche. Keeping it is THEFT because you know who owns it. THEFT IS WRONG. Didn't your parents teach you anything?


My parents were killed when I was 3. Thanks for your enlightening information that I was not aware of. Maybe you should read through a thread before you decide to post.

I also like how you implied I hang out at the school ground. That was very creative.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
Aphelion
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States2720 Posts
February 21 2007 05:50 GMT
#48
I can't comprehend why you wouldn't WANT to return the phone to someone who lost it, seeing that you had benefited from some one returning your phone to your before.
But Garimto was always more than just a Protoss...
CaucasianAsian
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Korea (South)11601 Posts
February 21 2007 05:52 GMT
#49
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=40612

This is what will happen if you don't return it
Calendar@ Fish Server: `iOps]..Stark
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
February 21 2007 05:53 GMT
#50
On February 21 2007 14:52 CaucasianAsian wrote:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=40612

This is what will happen if you don't return it


I am well aware of the girl who FOUND a sidekick. This is part of the reason why I asked about the legality of this.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
Myxomatosis
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States2392 Posts
February 21 2007 05:54 GMT
#51
On February 21 2007 13:44 jtan wrote:
stop being an asshole and give it back
Oxygen
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
Canada3581 Posts
February 21 2007 05:56 GMT
#52
On February 21 2007 13:47 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 13:44 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Yes, it's illegal. The calls you make are going to that persons bill. Thus you are then stealing. Return it.


Yes, but any smart person would suspend the service for the SIM card. If they don't turn it off its their fault. If they just leave it on and wait for someone to use the service thats like entrapment. Besides I don't have to return the phone. I just don't have to use their sim card.

I have lost my phone before and had it returned and I didn't give that person shit. Why should I go out of my way and return it to them (especially since a normal person would not have been able to figure out who owned the phone)?


Man I wish I knew some Law people who weren't biased towards karma and 'doing the right thing'.


A 'normal' person? You are the lesser person, no matter how amazing and intelligent and modest you are, if you use your 'prowess' to figure out the person's identity, and don't return the phone.

Dont drink and derive. TSL: Made with Balls.
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
February 21 2007 05:57 GMT
#53
I'm just relieved CharlieMurphy picked up this cell phone and not some asshole who wants to keep it and make unlimited calls at the original owner's expense while knowing the owner's contact information and deliberately avoiding contact with them.
Moderator
iNcontroL *
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
USA29055 Posts
February 21 2007 05:59 GMT
#54
CharlieMurphy,you sir, are a complete fucking asshole.

If the roles were reversed, YOU would want the phone returned, no calls made

grow a pair and stop thinking about yourself for once.
jtan
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Sweden5891 Posts
February 21 2007 06:01 GMT
#55
On February 21 2007 14:26 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Finally someone who has something important to contribute to the thread. Thanks Brood.

I live in California This phone is a cheapy 20$ one and its broken anyways. Phone details

It can't be considered larceny can it? If I just ditch the SIM card and keep the phone but not use their service?

Seriously! If everone was this egoistic the world would be total shit
Enter a Uh
Ganfei1
Profile Joined January 2007
China667 Posts
February 21 2007 06:06 GMT
#56
On February 21 2007 13:47 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 13:44 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Yes, it's illegal. The calls you make are going to that persons bill. Thus you are then stealing. Return it.


Yes, but any smart person would suspend the service for the SIM card. If they don't turn it off its their fault. If they just leave it on and wait for someone to use the service thats like entrapment. Besides I don't have to return the phone. I just don't have to use their sim card.

I have lost my phone before and had it returned and I didn't give that person shit. Why should I go out of my way and return it to them (especially since a normal person would not have been able to figure out who owned the phone)?


Man I wish I knew some Law people who weren't biased towards karma and 'doing the right thing'.


You're obviously kind of stupid. "I wish I knew some "Law people" "I don't care if I'm being an asshole I only care if it's illegal" "It's like entrapment if they are too stupid to cancel their SIM card"

Oh ok, I guess it's also entrapment when someone leaves their car window open accidentally and you can unlock it and hotwire the car to steal it, but it has a GPS system in it so they can track you to find out who the fuck stole their car.

Why don't you stop being a dumbass and go pay for your own phone, or buy a fucking phone card for $10 with 200 minutes on it, or use internet phone, or something else.
She prayed for me because she believed I was blind to sin, wanting me to kneel and pray too, because people to whom sin is just a matter of words, to them salvation is just words too.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 06:20:03
February 21 2007 06:18 GMT
#57
On February 21 2007 15:01 jtan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 14:26 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Finally someone who has something important to contribute to the thread. Thanks Brood.

I live in California This phone is a cheapy 20$ one and its broken anyways. Phone details

It can't be considered larceny can it? If I just ditch the SIM card and keep the phone but not use their service?

Seriously! If everone was this egoistic the world would be total shit


I'm pretty sure the world is total shit right now and people are this egotistic (GW Bush?)
On February 21 2007 15:06 Ganfei wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 13:47 CharlieMurphy wrote:
On February 21 2007 13:44 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Yes, it's illegal. The calls you make are going to that persons bill. Thus you are then stealing. Return it.


Yes, but any smart person would suspend the service for the SIM card. If they don't turn it off its their fault. If they just leave it on and wait for someone to use the service thats like entrapment. Besides I don't have to return the phone. I just don't have to use their sim card.

I have lost my phone before and had it returned and I didn't give that person shit. Why should I go out of my way and return it to them (especially since a normal person would not have been able to figure out who owned the phone)?


Man I wish I knew some Law people who weren't biased towards karma and 'doing the right thing'.


You're obviously kind of stupid. "I wish I knew some "Law people" "I don't care if I'm being an asshole I only care if it's illegal" "It's like entrapment if they are too stupid to cancel their SIM card"

Oh ok, I guess it's also entrapment when someone leaves their car window open accidentally and you can unlock it and hotwire the car to steal it, but it has a GPS system in it so they can track you to find out who the fuck stole their car.

Why don't you stop being a dumbass and go pay for your own phone, or buy a fucking phone card for $10 with 200 minutes on it, or use internet phone, or something else.


Nothing I said sounded stupid. Your reading comprehension is terrible if you think otherwise.

Its totally different than hot-wiring a car, what the fuck are you talking about?
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
Aphelion
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States2720 Posts
February 21 2007 06:19 GMT
#58
On February 21 2007 13:47 CharlieMurphy wrote:

I have lost my phone before and had it returned and I didn't give that person shit. Why should I go out of my way and return it to them (especially since a normal person would not have been able to figure out who owned the phone)?


I find this incredibly fucked up.
But Garimto was always more than just a Protoss...
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 06:30:21
February 21 2007 06:29 GMT
#59
Ok, You guys need to lay off with your opinions and name calling. I didn't ask for your 2 cents about why I shouldn't take something that was found broken on the ground. I asked If I could legally use it.
Which so far makes sense that I can not legally use it, and I won't.

A major factor in my decision making is that fact that these people who were careless enough to lose their cellphone and not turn off the service might just be some rich pricks who don't give a damn about anyone else. Why should I give a damn about them?

The other thing is that my GF got her car window smashed and her purse was stolen out of her car. The purse had 50 bucks in it, all her makeup and her IDs (including her social security card).

They then created a T-Mobil account with her name and proceeded to make all kinds of middle of the night tweeker phone calls and the bill was sent to her. The police haven't done shit for her so far, which really pisses me off. It pisses me off even more that in order to make a phone account there is a credit check and they MUST take a copy of the persons ID, and it obviously wasn't her. T-mobil is a bunch of fucking money hungry (commission) retards.



..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
jtan
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Sweden5891 Posts
February 21 2007 06:29 GMT
#60
On February 21 2007 15:18 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 15:01 jtan wrote:
On February 21 2007 14:26 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Finally someone who has something important to contribute to the thread. Thanks Brood.

I live in California This phone is a cheapy 20$ one and its broken anyways. Phone details

It can't be considered larceny can it? If I just ditch the SIM card and keep the phone but not use their service?

Seriously! If everone was this egoistic the world would be total shit


I'm pretty sure the world is total shit right now and people are this egotistic (GW Bush?)

There are different levels of shittyness. I'm sure only a few percent of the population would act in the way you are suggesting
Enter a Uh
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 6m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2089
Snow 119
Bale 31
Noble 15
Icarus 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm181
Counter-Strike
taco 427
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1454
Mew2King2
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1304
WinterStarcraft616
Other Games
summit1g7966
JimRising 649
PiGStarcraft319
C9.Mang0176
ArmadaUGS150
Maynarde135
RuFF_SC2114
Sick111
ViBE76
Livibee43
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick643
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream165
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 32
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki138
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2106
League of Legends
• Lourlo1354
• Rush1098
• Stunt359
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
5h 6m
OSC
8h 6m
Stellar Fest
8h 6m
OSC
19h 6m
Stellar Fest
1d 8h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.