• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:59
CEST 19:59
KST 02:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9640 users

Legality Question - Page 2

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
ChoboCop
Profile Joined July 2004
United States954 Posts
February 21 2007 05:01 GMT
#21
Using their phone and service without their permission is illegal. Stealing is to take what isn't yours. If the armored car spills money all out into the street, it is illegal to take that money.
No, you don't have a legal responsibility to return the phone, but you have a moral one.
The issue is enforcement.
If you need the imminent threat of enforcement to do the correct thing morally, than you're most likely like CharlieMurphy; a shithead.

On February 21 2007 13:47 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 13:44 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Yes, it's illegal. The calls you make are going to that persons bill. Thus you are then stealing. Return it.


Yes, but any smart person would suspend the service for the SIM card. If they don't turn it off its their fault. If they just leave it on and wait for someone to use the service thats like entrapment. Besides I don't have to return the phone. I just don't have to use their sim card.

I have lost my phone before and had it returned and I didn't give that person shit. Why should I go out of my way and return it to them (especially since a normal person would not have been able to figure out who owned the phone)?


Man I wish I knew some Law people who weren't biased towards karma and 'doing the right thing'.



You didn't reward someone for going out of there way to do you a favor? And you don't know why you should do things to help others if you perceive the general public < the action?

You really are an average asshole. You should check yourself out for Borderline Personality Disorder.
Critical thinking is the intellectually disciplined process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information gathered.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 05:03:22
February 21 2007 05:01 GMT
#22
On February 21 2007 13:57 Cpt Obvious wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 13:47 CharlieMurphy wrote:
On February 21 2007 13:44 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Yes, it's illegal. The calls you make are going to that persons bill. Thus you are then stealing. Return it.


Yes, but any smart person would suspend the service for the SIM card. If they don't turn it off its their fault. If they just leave it on and wait for someone to use the service thats like entrapment. Besides I don't have to return the phone. I just don't have to use their sim card.

I have lost my phone before and had it returned and I didn't give that person shit. Why should I go out of my way and return it to them (especially since a normal person would not have been able to figure out who owned the phone)?


Man I wish I knew some Law people who weren't biased towards karma and 'doing the right thing'.


are you kidding me? because you are an asshole doesn't mean everyone is. twisted logic ftw -_-


You're forgetting the last line buddy, A normal person would not even know who owned the phone at all. So who are you or they to say I should return it to them if that said 'non asshole' person would not know where to even return it?


Stop calling me names its hurting my feelings
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
OverTheUnder
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2929 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 05:05:56
February 21 2007 05:02 GMT
#23
who the hell cares if you get a reward, return the god dam phone and don't be a dick;/

and what the hell is with that logic. Ok, you use what "talents" you have ( apparently ones that normal ppl dont have) and you find out who owns the phone. woohoo, now you have the information you need to return it. No one is saying u HAVE to do anything, but there isn't any way to hide the fact that your a huge douche if you don't try to return it;/
Honor would be taking it up the ass and curing all diseases, damn how stupid can people get. -baal http://puertoricanbw.ytmnd.com/
Tyrio
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States3248 Posts
February 21 2007 05:02 GMT
#24
Where's the vote for "stop being a goddamned douchebag and return the phone"?
[NA] Tyrio.486 / Ahsh
~AreS]
Profile Joined March 2005
Canada2170 Posts
February 21 2007 05:04 GMT
#25
On February 21 2007 14:01 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 13:57 Cpt Obvious wrote:
On February 21 2007 13:47 CharlieMurphy wrote:
On February 21 2007 13:44 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Yes, it's illegal. The calls you make are going to that persons bill. Thus you are then stealing. Return it.


Yes, but any smart person would suspend the service for the SIM card. If they don't turn it off its their fault. If they just leave it on and wait for someone to use the service thats like entrapment. Besides I don't have to return the phone. I just don't have to use their sim card.

I have lost my phone before and had it returned and I didn't give that person shit. Why should I go out of my way and return it to them (especially since a normal person would not have been able to figure out who owned the phone)?


Man I wish I knew some Law people who weren't biased towards karma and 'doing the right thing'.


are you kidding me? because you are an asshole doesn't mean everyone is. twisted logic ftw -_-


You're forgetting the last line buddy, A normal person would not even know who owned the phone at all. So who are you or they to say I should return it to them if that said 'non asshole' person would not know where to even return it?

There's information on/in the phone that can be identified by the carrier. A call to cingular (or whoever) would be able to tell them who's phone it is.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 05:06:17
February 21 2007 05:04 GMT
#26
On February 21 2007 14:04 ~AreS] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 14:01 CharlieMurphy wrote:
On February 21 2007 13:57 Cpt Obvious wrote:
On February 21 2007 13:47 CharlieMurphy wrote:
On February 21 2007 13:44 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Yes, it's illegal. The calls you make are going to that persons bill. Thus you are then stealing. Return it.


Yes, but any smart person would suspend the service for the SIM card. If they don't turn it off its their fault. If they just leave it on and wait for someone to use the service thats like entrapment. Besides I don't have to return the phone. I just don't have to use their sim card.

I have lost my phone before and had it returned and I didn't give that person shit. Why should I go out of my way and return it to them (especially since a normal person would not have been able to figure out who owned the phone)?


Man I wish I knew some Law people who weren't biased towards karma and 'doing the right thing'.

wrong, they need more than just a phone number to access anything on the account.
are you kidding me? because you are an asshole doesn't mean everyone is. twisted logic ftw -_-


You're forgetting the last line buddy, A normal person would not even know who owned the phone at all. So who are you or they to say I should return it to them if that said 'non asshole' person would not know where to even return it?

There's information on/in the phone that can be identified by the carrier. A call to cingular (or whoever) would be able to tell them who's phone it is.


Wrong, you need more than just a phone number to access an account. They don't just go around giving out information.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
SonuvBob
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Aiur21552 Posts
February 21 2007 05:08 GMT
#27
[image loading]
Administrator
Cpt Obvious
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Germany3073 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 05:14:02
February 21 2007 05:09 GMT
#28
On February 21 2007 14:01 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 13:57 Cpt Obvious wrote:
On February 21 2007 13:47 CharlieMurphy wrote:
On February 21 2007 13:44 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Yes, it's illegal. The calls you make are going to that persons bill. Thus you are then stealing. Return it.


Yes, but any smart person would suspend the service for the SIM card. If they don't turn it off its their fault. If they just leave it on and wait for someone to use the service thats like entrapment. Besides I don't have to return the phone. I just don't have to use their sim card.

I have lost my phone before and had it returned and I didn't give that person shit. Why should I go out of my way and return it to them (especially since a normal person would not have been able to figure out who owned the phone)?


Man I wish I knew some Law people who weren't biased towards karma and 'doing the right thing'.


are you kidding me? because you are an asshole doesn't mean everyone is. twisted logic ftw -_-


You're forgetting the last line buddy, A normal person would not even know who owned the phone at all. So who are you or they to say I should return it to them if that said 'non asshole' person would not know where to even return it?


Stop calling me names its hurting my feelings


at the point you stop hurting other people's purses, i will stop calling you names, take my word for it, douche.
Nobody ever reads signatures of people like me, do they?
Jumpingworm
Profile Joined January 2004
Netherlands481 Posts
February 21 2007 05:10 GMT
#29
It's pretty obvioust most people in this thread think you should return the phone. You however think otherwise.

If you feel so strong about using it then I guess you should just go ahead and use it. Just know that this is considered stealing since you're using a service they have paid for. You have not paid for it, yet you are using it. Taking something without having paid for it is generally known as stealing, regardless of how stupid the victim might have been to not yet have cancelled his subscription/plan.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 05:11:36
February 21 2007 05:10 GMT
#30
Hey, I'm being 'non-asshole' enough to come here and ask what you shmucks think.

ps- what does 'purches' mean?
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
Tyrio
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States3248 Posts
February 21 2007 05:12 GMT
#31
Give you legal advice on the best way to use stolen items?

There is no moral dilemma here. You're a dick and seem proud of it.
[NA] Tyrio.486 / Ahsh
cruel)angel
Profile Joined February 2005
Philippines253 Posts
February 21 2007 05:12 GMT
#32
On February 21 2007 14:04 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 14:04 ~AreS] wrote:
On February 21 2007 14:01 CharlieMurphy wrote:
On February 21 2007 13:57 Cpt Obvious wrote:
On February 21 2007 13:47 CharlieMurphy wrote:
On February 21 2007 13:44 {CC}StealthBlue wrote:
Yes, it's illegal. The calls you make are going to that persons bill. Thus you are then stealing. Return it.


Yes, but any smart person would suspend the service for the SIM card. If they don't turn it off its their fault. If they just leave it on and wait for someone to use the service thats like entrapment. Besides I don't have to return the phone. I just don't have to use their sim card.

I have lost my phone before and had it returned and I didn't give that person shit. Why should I go out of my way and return it to them (especially since a normal person would not have been able to figure out who owned the phone)?


Man I wish I knew some Law people who weren't biased towards karma and 'doing the right thing'.

wrong, they need more than just a phone number to access anything on the account.
are you kidding me? because you are an asshole doesn't mean everyone is. twisted logic ftw -_-


You're forgetting the last line buddy, A normal person would not even know who owned the phone at all. So who are you or they to say I should return it to them if that said 'non asshole' person would not know where to even return it?

There's information on/in the phone that can be identified by the carrier. A call to cingular (or whoever) would be able to tell them who's phone it is.


Wrong, you need more than just a phone number to access an account. They don't just go around giving out information.


ok now youre a genius! give it back.
seriously if it was me, id give it back then again.. its your shoes. do what you like.
i die, i die, but ill kill you first
Cpt Obvious
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Germany3073 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 05:13:21
February 21 2007 05:12 GMT
#33
look at the ten commandments: "no stealing thx"

look at federal law: "not knowing what the right thing to do is doesn't mean you can do what you want and get away with it"

look at this thread: "return the goddamn phone and get out."

does the message get through?
Nobody ever reads signatures of people like me, do they?
Wasabi
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States3085 Posts
February 21 2007 05:13 GMT
#34
--- Nuked ---
mahnini
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States6862 Posts
February 21 2007 05:13 GMT
#35
On February 21 2007 14:10 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Hey, I'm being 'non-asshole' enough to come here and ask what you shmucks think.

ps- what does 'purches' mean?

Whatever, you were probably trying to justify your actions by getting a bunch of us to say "fuck yeah, free phone!"

I just want to use it for the time being until I get my own phone.

You can't wait?
the world's a playground. you know that when you're a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
February 21 2007 05:18 GMT
#36
On February 21 2007 14:12 Tyrio wrote:
Give you legal advice on the best way to use stolen items?

There is no moral dilemma here. You're a dick and seem proud of it.


I didn't steal anything. I found it. I haven't committed any crimes at all. I haven't actually done anything wrong but talk about this. Stop calling me names.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
February 21 2007 05:20 GMT
#37
On February 21 2007 14:13 mahnini wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 14:10 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Hey, I'm being 'non-asshole' enough to come here and ask what you shmucks think.

ps- what does 'purches' mean?

Whatever, you were probably trying to justify your actions by getting a bunch of us to say "fuck yeah, free phone!"

Show nested quote +
I just want to use it for the time being until I get my own phone.

You can't wait?


No, I actually started the thread to see if I could legally use their phone for a week or so without criminal consequences.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
Tyrio
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States3248 Posts
February 21 2007 05:21 GMT
#38
On February 21 2007 14:18 CharlieMurphy wrote:

I didn't steal anything. I found it.


Nice excuse.

I haven't committed any crimes at all. I haven't actually done anything wrong but talk about this. Stop calling me names


No you haven't committed any crimes yet, but you plan to. Isn't that why you made this thread? To see if you could get in trouble for the crime you were about to commit?
[NA] Tyrio.486 / Ahsh
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-02-21 05:24:01
February 21 2007 05:23 GMT
#39
On February 21 2007 14:21 Tyrio wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2007 14:18 CharlieMurphy wrote:

I didn't steal anything. I found it.


Nice excuse.

Show nested quote +
I haven't committed any crimes at all. I haven't actually done anything wrong but talk about this. Stop calling me names


No you haven't committed any crimes yet, but you plan to. Isn't that why you made this thread? To see if you could get in trouble for the crime you were about to commit?


I never said I would commit a crime, I said I didn't want to commit a crime. Thats the whole point of this thread. Don't put words in my mouth.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
AmorVincitOmnia
Profile Joined March 2005
Kenya3846 Posts
February 21 2007 05:24 GMT
#40
WOOOOAHHH LET'S ALL FLAME CHARLIEMURPHY WITH THE EXACT SAME THING
r.i.p. Bud Shank May 27, 1926 - April 2, 2009
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
ComeBackTV 675
IntoTheiNu 583
SteadfastSC466
Rex87
CosmosSc2 69
EnkiAlexander 64
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 466
UpATreeSC 159
Rex 87
CosmosSc2 69
BRAT_OK 55
JuggernautJason25
MindelVK 18
PtitDrogo 15
Codebar 8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 37214
Jaedong 999
Mini 503
Soma 472
BeSt 437
Soulkey 242
Larva 237
Rush 192
ZerO 162
Snow 112
[ Show more ]
Dewaltoss 107
Liquid`Ret 64
hero 55
Mind 43
Killer 22
sorry 21
Trap 19
ToSsGirL 19
Shine 19
Dota 2
qojqva1004
Dendi916
Counter-Strike
fl0m1013
Fnx 744
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King61
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4452
crisheroes2245
Khaldor1794
Liquid`Hasu534
Other Games
ArmadaUGS1462
ceh9548
byalli478
B2W.Neo464
KnowMe125
QueenE86
C9.Mang083
Chillindude60
Trikslyr38
Railgan23
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream88
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 42
• Adnapsc2 10
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki22
• FirePhoenix12
• blackmanpl 3
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 4049
League of Legends
• TFBlade1081
Other Games
• imaqtpie940
• Shiphtur316
• Scarra78
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
16h 1m
OSC
19h 1m
Stellar Fest
19h 1m
OSC
1d 6h
Stellar Fest
1d 19h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.