• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:26
CEST 08:26
KST 15:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8472 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 38

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 58 Next
Frieder
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Italy231 Posts
July 08 2012 18:36 GMT
#741
On July 07 2012 01:56 Kimaker wrote:
[image loading]
And various essay's by Edmund Burke.



Bravo!
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
July 08 2012 18:46 GMT
#742
On June 21 2012 14:33 crawlingchaos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 21 2012 14:12 ZapRoffo wrote:
On June 03 2012 14:18 ZapRoffo wrote:
I've started re-reading The Crying of Lot 49 by Pynchon. It entered my mind when Pete Campbell was reading it in Mad Men, but what more specifically inspired me to re-read was just that Mad Men was taking place at the time it came out and the book to me seems like an essential piece capturing some element of that time that I'm trying to flesh out in my mind. Like they can lend perspective to each other for me, especially since looking back--even though I first read it maybe 3 years ago at most--it had dissolved into a whirlwind in my mind, I only really remembered the one main theme of the conspiracy and imagination interplay, and that I thought the play part was a riot.


Finished that one now, I think it's a pretty outstanding read. Once you get through chapter 1 it flows by pretty effortlessly straight through to the end. It's almost structured like a mystery, pulling you continually onward. Plunging into the heart of something, but what exactly? That's part of the mystery. It's a real mind-bender, plus it has some great humor about it. It's remarkable.

Next up, I'm going on vacation starting tomorrow with some sizable flights, and I have two books lined up that I'm excited for. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (funny to have her mentioned two other times in the last page, I didn't look at that before picking it), and For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway.

Mrs. Dalloway was actually one of the most riveting books I've read in a while oddly enough, haha. Woolf is really amazing.

Finished Mrs. Dalloway on the flight back from my vacation. It was perfect, and especially a great book to read hanging around in parks for the day or something, with its reveries and examinations. Both delightful and powerful, it seems so accurately to get into the way my mind might work, for instance, over the course of a day.

Now I'm slowly starting For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway. Plus I felt in a sort of Hemingway-ian spirit writing up my diary of my trip.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
KhAmun
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1005 Posts
July 10 2012 08:26 GMT
#743
I've just started Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, it's my first major philosophical read, I'm quite looking forward to it.
Anyone who's read, care to share thoughts?
SometimesIworkout
Profile Joined June 2012
Cambodia75 Posts
July 10 2012 10:06 GMT
#744
The predominant theme of 1Q84 seems to be breasts
"my upper chest is weak" "you have no upper chest"
Emporium
Profile Joined May 2012
England162 Posts
July 10 2012 10:33 GMT
#745
I have just re-read Patrick Rothfuss - The Wise Man's Fear, extremely good read, I would advise anyone who likes fantasy Novels to read this book.

Remember your mortality.
Emporium
Profile Joined May 2012
England162 Posts
July 10 2012 10:34 GMT
#746
On July 07 2012 00:59 Vardant wrote:
I've seen they're making a movie based on the main character, heard the books are pretty good, so decided to read up on it, before it comes out.

[image loading]



This series is one of the best series of books i have read, Jack Reacher is an awesome character!
Remember your mortality.
La1
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom659 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-10 10:43:11
July 10 2012 10:42 GMT
#747
Finished the selfish gene, very good read very interesting book

I am now reading the following

[image loading]

40 + years of making nature programs and the evolution of the bbc.. should be interesting
pff
frogrubdown
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
1266 Posts
July 10 2012 13:37 GMT
#748
On July 10 2012 17:26 KhAmun wrote:
I've just started Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, it's my first major philosophical read, I'm quite looking forward to it.
Anyone who's read, care to share thoughts?


Well, like many more recent readers I find it hard to buy into the teleology that forms the foundations of Aristotle's ethics. But I'm sure you'll find plenty of insightful things and it's a fine introduction to philosophical thinking.
se7en247
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States487 Posts
July 17 2012 07:01 GMT
#749
Reading this
[image loading]

Next reading this
[image loading]
I didn't come to play..I came to win. Now lets play.
Bunn
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Estonia934 Posts
July 17 2012 07:12 GMT
#750
I've started reading The Kon-Tiki Expedition by Thor Heyerdahl. So far, so good.
"There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level." - Bruce Lee
slytown
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Korea (South)1411 Posts
July 17 2012 07:18 GMT
#751
Bret Easton Ellis's "Less Than Zero"

Basically a let down for me, although, the climax was pretty shocking and did its job.

[image loading]
The best Flash meme ever: http://imgur.com/zquoK
Qwyn
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2781 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-17 07:42:51
July 17 2012 07:41 GMT
#752
On June 09 2012 01:33 Ramong wrote:
[image loading]
and
[image loading]

great books, both part of the Kingkiller Chronicle.


First book was alright, meandered on a bit but the ending character development made it almost completely satisfying.

2nd book on the other hand, was fucking terrible. The only book I've purchased (besides Inheritance) that was actually a waste of my money...

Incredible rant - do not read if you're a fan of the series. Contains spoilers.
+ Show Spoiler +
First 300 pages reading about crap that happened for 600 pages in the FIRST book...including 100pgs of LET'S GO FIND DENNA (HURR...HURR). Then he decides to go off to a court...acts like a total @#$%^....is sent into the woods (100pgs of nothing), does some magicks with apparent ease...

Now, up until now was tolerable. But the next...good fucking grief...the next 300 pages are just a bunch of fucking shitty ass wish fulfillment with NO direction at all.

--

Forgive my rage, but I can't get over this book. The transition from his time in the woods to Felurian is the WORST transition I've ever read. That one point in time RUINED the WHOLE FUCKING ENTIRE SERIES. It completely changed the tone of his character in a bad way, added uneccesary complications, and basically allowed the author to weigh him down with a bunch of sex bullshit.

It ruined it for me. Bad call Rothfuss. You had something going for you. But the moment you literally made your character have sex with a fairy for 11 chapters of the book instead of actually using that BOOK JACKET PLOT PIECE as a gripping moment of the series....I mean what the fuck man? You seriously have no direction? Worst of all is how terrible the transition is. And how terrible every character but your Mary Sue is. Good thing you made the Chandrian mysterious, along with all your other wish fulfillment feelers, so that you can keep people reading that shit instead of books with PLOT!


EDIT: I think I'm going to re-read the Bourne series and some of Ludlum's other works. That's quality.
"Think of the hysteria following the realization that they consciously consume babies and raise the dead people from their graves" - N0
itkovian
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States1763 Posts
July 17 2012 17:55 GMT
#753
Just read these three books:
Jailbird by Kurt Vonnegut
[image loading]
Jailbird was alright. I think my expectations were too high after reading Slaughterhouse 5. Also, I've heard this is one of his less impressive books. So if you're going to read vonnegut, it might be a better idea to pick up one of his other books. I just happened to see this one lying around the house

One Day In the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn
[image loading]
I really, really, really enjoyed this book. It would definitely go down amongst the top ten books I've read in my life thus far. It literally covers one day in the life of the protagnosit, and no detail is left out. There is a constant undercurrent of tension and excitement that pulls you through. The writing style is fast and easy to consume. From a historical standpoint, it is also very interesting because you get to see the inside of a gulag. I would recommend this book to anyone

The Picture of Dorian Gray
[image loading]
Pretty good. Was much more interesting in the second half. The language could be dense; at one point it spent ten pages describing Dorian's various hobbies, and the details of each, which felt unnecessary and slow. I would recommend it to someone looking to beef up in classic literature, or to anyone interested in victorian era britain


Next, I'm going to read the Hunger Games trilogy, and after that I think I'll reread and get caught up in A Song of Ice and Fire
=)=
climax
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1088 Posts
July 17 2012 18:02 GMT
#754
Just Finished Reading:

[image loading]


Currently Reading:

[image loading]

What I plan on reading after:

I honestly don't know. If anyone has some suggestions, I would love to hear some. I enjoy reading Sci-fi books. I really want to read a psychology book about body language or train of thoughts and how people get there. Something like LessWrong.com but in a novel would be pretty interesting.
Twitter: @JonathanRosales
Sverigevader
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden388 Posts
July 17 2012 19:07 GMT
#755
[image loading]

Read half so far. Really enjoying it. I plan to read at least 10 of the books in the Horus Heresy collection this year.

40K lore so good!
"I can answer this, you're just a god damn sexy mofo." http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=147829&currentpage=7#139
Brainsurgeon
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden359 Posts
July 17 2012 19:22 GMT
#756
[image loading]
Lovin' it.
Say no to drugs. Say yes to hugs!
youngminii
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Australia7514 Posts
July 22 2012 07:16 GMT
#757
[image loading]


Part 1 was AMAZING, read it within two days of buying it. I think I'm definitely going to get back into reading after finishing this series, haven't read in so many years. Forgot how awesome it was to be able to delve into a whole different world as envisioned by some random guy.
lalala
s4rk
Profile Joined December 2003
Philippines137 Posts
July 22 2012 10:08 GMT
#758
[image loading]

I'm reading this because of a certain recent movie
+ Show Spoiler +
The Dark Knight Rises
o rly
Valashu
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands561 Posts
July 22 2012 12:47 GMT
#759
[image loading]

And

[image loading]

First one is valuable for an fps player like me and the second one is simply worth reading.
The superior pilot uses his superior judgement to avoid exercising his superior skill.
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-22 12:56:25
July 22 2012 12:53 GMT
#760
On June 03 2012 23:39 Cambium wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +

On May 09 2012 13:32 Cambium wrote:
Just finished:
[image loading]

Read this in five days after watching the movie. It was a surprisingly good read; book three was lacking, but it wasn't terrible. The writing style sucked, there was almost no character development, and the plot was linear; but overall, it was fun and enjoyable.

Reading:
[image loading]

I've been putting this off since last year hoping that I would catch a paperback version, but I finally gave up and started reading it. So far so good, a lot more engaging than book four to say the least.

Next up:
[image loading]

It's either going to be this, Ready Player One or 1Q84, but this book won out, and the others have to wait.


Just finished:
[image loading]

This was a surprisingly good read after great disappointment with Feast. A lot of actions and changes in and outside of the Westeros. This is probably my favourite after Clash.

Reading:
[image loading]

Next up:
[image loading]



Just finished:
[image loading]

1Q84 was okay.... the first book was really good with a lot of character development, then things got pretty boring/strange/weird (typical) from the 2nd book. Too many loose ends at the end, didn't feel very satisfied after finished reading the book.

Reading:
[image loading]
Pretty interesting so far, but nothing spectacular has happened.

Next up:
[image loading]
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 134
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2287
GuemChi 601
Leta 156
Bale 36
ajuk12(nOOB) 22
Noble 17
sSak 12
Icarus 10
Dota 2
febbydoto19
League of Legends
JimRising 621
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King193
Other Games
summit1g7675
C9.Mang0264
Happy179
Sick161
ViBE87
Trikslyr28
ceh90
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick483
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter146
• killerbeecast3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2204
League of Legends
• Lourlo1256
• Stunt454
Other Games
• Shiphtur496
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
4h 34m
Patches Events
9h 34m
The PondCast
1d 3h
INu's Battles
1d 4h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.