• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:26
CEST 08:26
KST 15:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8472 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 39

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 37 38 39 40 41 58 Next
Acetone
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States200 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-22 14:46:36
July 22 2012 14:45 GMT
#761
For my masters thesis in chemical engineering, I'm slogging my way through this:
[image loading]

When I'm not feeling thermophysical enough to deal with the former, I continue my journey through the American release of Spice & Wolf (I'm currently rereading volume 1). A fantasy novel series set in what seems very much like a pre-Renaissance Europe, rather than messing around with typical tropes of the fantasy genre, it's all about economics and the relationship between its hero (a traveling merchant with aspirations of settling in a town and opening his own shop) and heroine (a wolf deity who, after serving as the harvest god for a village's wheat crop, wishes to return to her homeland). Volume 6 was released just last month, and it's my opinion that the series has only gotten better with each new entry. Unfortunately, its American publishing company (Yen Press) only releases a new volume every 6 months, so at that pace, it won't be until 2017 that the final volume (#17) will be available. Yen Press tweeted in April that they're quickening the pace to 3 volumes per year, but that only shortens the wait for volume 17 by about a year. T_T

There are two different pieces of cover art for each volume. One is the translated, original Japanese cover art; the second is the redesigned dust jacket art requested by American retailers to appeal to a wider audience.

Volume 1:
Original: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Redesigned: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Volume 2:
Original: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Redesigned: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Volume 3:
Original: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Redesigned: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Volume 4:
Original: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Redesigned: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Volume 5:
Original: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Redesigned: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Volume 6:
Original: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Redesigned (left): + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Where's my rtzW option for favorite Dota 2 team
Snaap
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany22 Posts
July 24 2012 12:45 GMT
#762
I'm reading the first book of the dark tower series right now. not a huge fan so far, but from what i heard the next books will get better and the first book is short anyway so Its okay I guess.
malaan
Profile Joined September 2010
365 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-24 16:37:05
July 24 2012 16:36 GMT
#763
Currently reading Game Of Thrones... it's awesome of course.

[image loading]

This is what I just finished. Got the next 2 books ready to go. A really fucking awesome book.
zalz
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Netherlands3704 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-24 20:48:57
July 24 2012 20:47 GMT
#764
The idea of a heist story set in a fantasy world seemed interesting, but I have never found Sanderson to be a very impressive writer.

He can come up with interesting ideas, but the characters generally feel flat and unintresting. It wasn't surprising to learn that he was obsessed with creating magic-systems because it is easily the only things where he is really original.

Other than that it is really just generic fantasy, not that there is anything wrong with that.


My favorite active fantasy writer is Scott R. Bakker and his "Second Apocalypse" series.

Most fantasy is set in medieval-europe times, whereas his takes place in a world inspired by the old testament, so about as grim as you can possibly get. He mixes his fantasy with a lot of philosophy, which isn't surprising since he pursued a degree in philosophy.

His "Warrior-Prophet" had me in tears at one point, and the White-Luck Warrior had the most exciting fight scene I have ever read in a book. His prose is exceptional, much more so when you consider how poor the prose in a lot of fantasy is.

I used to like GRRM more, but after two weak books I feel that Bakker's series is better. But he is currently a midlist writer, so he barely makes enough to live off the work.

The first book is "The darkness that comes before," for those interested.
Leth0
Profile Joined February 2012
856 Posts
July 24 2012 20:53 GMT
#765
Internet forums

Ba dum tss

User was warned for this post
SFactor123
Profile Joined July 2012
6 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-28 10:07:09
July 26 2012 06:01 GMT
#766
--- Nuked ---
snotboogie
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Australia3550 Posts
July 26 2012 06:11 GMT
#767
On July 26 2012 15:01 SFactor123 wrote:
I am reading Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, the movie based on this novel is on its way and I wanted to read the book first. Keira Knightly is playing the role of Anna in the film and I am super excited for this film as the novel is great to read.


Tolstoy's writing is a joy to read, even in English. The words just flow perfectly and he understands human nature so well.

Even so, I must admit I paused reading Anna Karenina halfway through the book about 3 years ago and have yet to resume it. I think I've become too used to modern writing (especially the fast pace) to have the patience to sit through the classics.

Thanks for reminding me of this awesome book =)

Must... finish... sometime...
YoucriedWolf
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden1456 Posts
July 26 2012 06:31 GMT
#768
Reading Nights dawn trilogy so far it is very much worth the read but im only ~600 pages in the first book.
For anyone interesting in sci-fi "Hyperion" and "The fall of hyperion" by Dan Simmons are absolutely must reads though.

Question: I have a few books of the dresden files but the first one in the series I own is the 4th. I've heard that it's not supposed to matter in which order you read them but not from any reliable people so I am still sceptic.
SFactor123
Profile Joined July 2012
6 Posts
July 26 2012 06:52 GMT
#769
--- Nuked ---
Badjas
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Netherlands2038 Posts
July 26 2012 07:31 GMT
#770
Currently reading on and off:
Plato - The Republic
It feels more like an instruction on how to be a cult leader...

I should pick up more books of the dune and ender's game series. Preferably in e-book format.

Where do you all buy your e-books, and are they DRM restricted or not?
I <3 the internet, I <3 you
gossip07
Profile Joined April 2011
United States13 Posts
July 26 2012 07:46 GMT
#771
I'd seriously like to start a reading habit because the rare times I do read, I tend to enjoy it. I tend to stick to life improvement books etc. Whats the best way to build a strong reading habit? Should I try to read for 15 minutes and buildup, read a # of pages a day, per chapter?
Kyrillion
Profile Joined August 2011
Russian Federation748 Posts
July 26 2012 07:47 GMT
#772
This, on Egyptian writing [image loading]

and that, on Russian vocabulary : [image loading]
If you seek well, you shall find.
Vardant
Profile Joined November 2010
Czech Republic620 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-26 08:29:01
July 26 2012 08:27 GMT
#773
On July 10 2012 19:34 Emporium wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2012 00:59 Vardant wrote:
I've seen they're making a movie based on the main character, heard the books are pretty good, so decided to read up on it, before it comes out.



This series is one of the best series of books i have read, Jack Reacher is an awesome character!

It was good, but didn't entirely convince me to continue in reading the rest.

In the meantime, I started reading this.

[image loading]
Ramong
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark1706 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-30 20:01:34
July 26 2012 09:23 GMT
#774
+ Show Spoiler +
On July 25 2012 01:36 malaan wrote:
Currently reading Game Of Thrones... it's awesome of course.

[image loading]

This is what I just finished. Got the next 2 books ready to go. A really fucking awesome book.



Yeah, read them about a year ago, great fantasy books.

There is actually a fourth book that takes place a couple of hundred years after the last of the trilogy
Mistborn: The Alloy of Law
"Yeah buddy"
{CC}StealthBlue
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States41117 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-30 19:16:03
July 30 2012 19:14 GMT
#775
[image loading]

[image loading]
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."
Gotmog
Profile Joined October 2010
Serbia899 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-31 17:19:40
July 31 2012 17:17 GMT
#776
During my summer vocation (8 days) i read the following:

-Born To Run: Insanely good book....and thats coming from a nerd who never loved running in his life. Made me want to start... 10/10

-Ender's Game : Really great book as well....10/10

- Hunger Games : Interesting read. 9/10

- 2001 A Space Odyssey : My dad recommended me this book and i found it stashed in my laptop library during the holiday Its a cool book, never read anything like it. 8.5/10

Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingstone, Seagal : Its a short book, quite cool. Very nice to read while laying on a beach one day :D 6/10

Tales of Beedle the bard : Had it on my kindle, was short, so i just blasted through it. It was meh at best tbh...Read it in 30min if you are a fan of HP, if not, you can safely ignore it 3/10


Planning to read eaither Stiven King or Lord of Flies next...
"When you play the game of drones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground"
Gotmog
Profile Joined October 2010
Serbia899 Posts
July 31 2012 18:17 GMT
#777
On July 26 2012 16:46 gossip07 wrote:
I'd seriously like to start a reading habit because the rare times I do read, I tend to enjoy it. I tend to stick to life improvement books etc. Whats the best way to build a strong reading habit? Should I try to read for 15 minutes and buildup, read a # of pages a day, per chapter?


Maybe you could start reading when you go to bad and are trying to fall asleep, you know instead of watching TV/browsing www or w/e you do.
Also, you could maybe start by reading some long series of books, A song of ice and fire,dresden files, harry potter....are the first that pop to mind. That way you will want to go to the next book and next and next because you will feel that story is not finished.
"When you play the game of drones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground"
Brainsurgeon
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden359 Posts
July 31 2012 18:21 GMT
#778
[image loading]

I'm currently reading this book that I got from my grandmother. It's an old issue, from 1955, which I thought was rather cool.
Say no to drugs. Say yes to hugs!
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-31 20:40:17
July 31 2012 20:31 GMT
#779
On August 01 2012 03:21 Brainsurgeon wrote:
[image loading]

I'm currently reading this book that I got from my grandmother. It's an old issue, from 1955, which I thought was rather cool.


I'm reading that right now too, I was really into it when my internet was down for a couple days, but then Pilar's story about her town (starting like 100 pages in), which was hard to read, and my internet coming back really slowed me down.

Just finished re-reading The Sun Also Rises also, which I feel like I got a lot more out of this time around, like I could hardly remember the main action or what any of the characters were like from the first time I read it.

A note on something from The Sun Also Rises:
I’ve heard people criticize Brett Ashley as being part of his misogynistic streak, but it’s weird because she seems very normal to me looking with a modern eye, like she many aspects of her wouldn’t be out of place at all in the 21st century (aside from her general lack of consideration for practicalities). She’s a destructive force in the social context of that time period though and men's expectations in it. Looking at just this book, it seems to me like it’s hinting that most of the men’s problems come from themselves, and it actually seems to me like that looking at her as a sort of antagonist requires an socially regressive, antiquated perspective. But then that’s possibly the viewpoint Hemingway comes from himself? The evidence for that is how romantically he sees the bullfighting and the young bullfighter, and how ashamed Jake is for bringing him among their group’s jaded, amoral drinkers, which Brett is highly representative of. I don’t feel like she’s treated any more or less sympathetically than pretty much anyone else though.

Antisemitism though? Yes, there’s a definite streak of that permeating the book.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
Klyberess
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden345 Posts
August 01 2012 00:41 GMT
#780
Finished: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Reading: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
and
[image loading]

Next up: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
EmpireHappy <3 STHack <3 ByunPrime
Prev 1 37 38 39 40 41 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 134
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2287
GuemChi 601
Leta 156
Bale 36
ajuk12(nOOB) 22
Noble 17
sSak 12
Icarus 10
Dota 2
febbydoto19
League of Legends
JimRising 621
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King193
Other Games
summit1g7675
C9.Mang0264
Happy179
Sick161
ViBE87
Trikslyr28
ceh90
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick483
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter146
• killerbeecast3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2204
League of Legends
• Lourlo1256
• Stunt454
Other Games
• Shiphtur496
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
4h 34m
Patches Events
9h 34m
The PondCast
1d 3h
INu's Battles
1d 4h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.