• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:25
CEST 19:25
KST 02:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8036 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 37

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 35 36 37 38 39 58 Next
Mothra
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States1448 Posts
July 06 2012 03:43 GMT
#721
Been scattered and reading several books here and there. I'm on the last book of Plato's Republic, last act of Hamlet, and just started rereading Tender is the Night which is one of my favorite novels.
ghrur
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3786 Posts
July 06 2012 03:49 GMT
#722
Finished All Quiet on the Western Front by Remarque. Beautiful book, and I loved it.
Just finished Death in Venice by Thomas Mann, Heim Translation. Interesting book, and I appreciate it, but did not enjoy it.
Currently reading No Country for Old Men by McCarthy.
darkness overpowering
Xayoz
Profile Joined December 2010
Estonia373 Posts
July 06 2012 12:32 GMT
#723
On July 04 2012 22:22 Gotmog wrote:
If you want us to understand what you mean, you are going to have to elaborate on that =)

Well. I could rant rather lengthily on things that bothered me about him (not in english unfortunately).
In the end tho, what I hated most about Harry Dresden is that, every time he is about to do something remotely badass and/or human, he pussies out at the last moment and instead 'does the right thing'. Witch in truth should get him killed every goddamn time, but well...
You could say it's his various beliefs and ideals (that are mostly polar opposites to what mine would be in this setting) that made his character incredibly unsympathetic and since this is the sort of series that solely centers on his character...
You could also say that it's the American superhero stereotype that I can not stomach.
Whenever you correct someone's grammar just remember that nobody likes you.
GoingGoingGone
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
Slovakia529 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-06 12:44:06
July 06 2012 12:43 GMT
#724
On July 06 2012 12:49 ghrur wrote:
Finished All Quiet on the Western Front by Remarque. Beautiful book, and I loved it.
Just finished Death in Venice by Thomas Mann, Heim Translation. Interesting book, and I appreciate it, but did not enjoy it.


Both of these are very good IMHO, I liked Remarque more, but Mann has some very interesting observation about art and the overall style is very, very refined.

I'm enjoying that I'm done with all the exams, so I have time to read something different than books I need for my courses . Currently reading Tell-All by Chuck Palahniuk, almost done.
Busy night, but there's always room for another... unless the servers are down.
treekiller
Profile Joined July 2010
United States236 Posts
July 06 2012 15:06 GMT
#725
Carnage and Culture: Landmark Battles in the Rise of Western Power
[image loading]

This book looks at the rise of Western military superiority. It looks at why, essentially, Europe conquered the world. Anyone interested in military history would enjoy this book. It doesnt delve into the details of military battles, but seeks to paint a broad history. You can read the first chapter for free on Amazon.

All good things must come to an end. Therefore, SC2 will last forever
Golden Ghost
Profile Joined February 2003
Netherlands1041 Posts
July 06 2012 15:13 GMT
#726
Just finished:
3 books by Danielle Hermans.
[image loading]
[image loading]
[image loading]

Thrillers based upon real events from the Dutch history. Set in the modern world but with a story that reaches back to the 17th century and mixing the two timeframes. The first "Het Tulpenvirus" (the Tulipvirus) is about the overnight burst of the Tulip boom in the Netherlands. The second "De Watermeesters" (the masters of the water) is about the Dutch fight against the water and the third "De Man van Manhattan" (the man from Manhattan) is about the Dutch rule over the island Manhattan.

And these historical facts are linked to murder and complots in modern times.
Enjoyable read without having to think to much. Especially because I´m generally a fan of history.

Currently reading:
[image loading]

It was written in 1957 but I don´t believe it´s translated. The title would be something like "The gang of Jan the Illuminated / The son of Jan the Illuminated". The story is set in Flanders in the 18th century and centers around the adventures of a charasmatic bandit.

I did read it already when I was a child but find now that although the story is okaish I´m reading it more because the beautiful way it´s written. The story just flows and almost every sentence is put together so beautiful it´s a joy reading them.

After I finish this book I believe it´s time for some "heavy" reading again. I always try to switch it up a bit so not to get to bored with a certain genre.
Life is to give and take. You take a vacation and you give to the poor.
EpiK
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Korea (South)5757 Posts
July 06 2012 15:21 GMT
#727
[image loading]
ThirdDegree
Profile Joined February 2011
United States329 Posts
July 06 2012 15:30 GMT
#728
[image loading]
Read this one recently. I heard great things, but I was left kind of unsatisfied. I might try to read it again in a few months, but I was not super thrilled with this one.

[image loading]
This one was pretty good. Sci fi/detective. The ending was sort of lackluster, but overall it was a good book. Takes some time to properly understand the setting.

I want to read this next:
[image loading]
Basically a history of science
I am terrible
baummonster
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany17 Posts
July 06 2012 15:35 GMT
#729
Nothing fancy or intellectual. The release of the new 6th edition ruleset for Warhammer 40k got me hooked again, so I got myself some new books from the Black Library: The "Tome of Fire" trilogy about the Salamanders Space Marine Chapter

[image loading][image loading][image loading]
RvB
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands6322 Posts
July 06 2012 15:40 GMT
#730
[image loading]

A biography about Alexander the great. Nice piece of work and it shows how great a general Alexander actually was. I've heard people saying that Alexanders succes is thanks to his father Philip but its doubtful Philip or any other general would've even come close to the achievement of him.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
July 06 2012 15:54 GMT
#731
I've taken a bit of a break from serious reading, so to get my academic literary engines rolling again, I'm going to finally attempt this.
[image loading]
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Vardant
Profile Joined November 2010
Czech Republic620 Posts
July 06 2012 15:59 GMT
#732
I've seen they're making a movie based on the main character, heard the books are pretty good, so decided to read up on it, before it comes out.

[image loading]
Kimaker
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2131 Posts
July 06 2012 16:56 GMT
#733
[image loading]
And various essay's by Edmund Burke.

Entusman #54 (-_-) ||"Gold is for the Mistress-Silver for the Maid-Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade. "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall, But Iron — Cold Iron — is master of them all|| "Optimism is Cowardice."- Oswald Spengler
lithiumdeuteride
Profile Joined June 2011
96 Posts
July 06 2012 17:04 GMT
#734
The quintessential formative period in US history, and the roots of our global consumer culture:
[image loading]
Sweet bacteria of Liberia!
hpty603
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States262 Posts
July 06 2012 17:17 GMT
#735
[image loading]

I've almost cried reading this book. The whole Fourth Crusade is just tragic

[image loading]

I've read parts of the full trilogy he wrote for term papers but this is really well done despite lacking some of Norwich's dry wit to shorten it
I only play 2v2 to see how much of the map I can turn purple ~ Jinro
smr
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany4808 Posts
July 06 2012 18:30 GMT
#736
I'm reading mostly these two right now:
[image loading]
It's a very interesting read about moral and financial debts (as far as I read that is). Ethics are always a topic I'm interested in and being somebody who threw his economics studies I'm very open to his ideas. Maybe the most important part for me is the historical background which I'm most interested in.
and
[image loading]
Wanted to read some cyber-sci-fi whatever book. My gf got the audio book a format which I do not like. So I went to the library, got the first one finished really fast and am now reading the second one. There are a lot of interesting ideas and thoughts in it although sometimes I hate the constant switch between different storylines because one is much more interesting than the other (at that time, not in general).

Dreamer.T
Profile Joined December 2009
United States3584 Posts
July 07 2012 03:32 GMT
#737
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. Was a quick read, but I enjoyed it.
Forever the best, IMMvp <3
aloT
Profile Joined April 2010
England1042 Posts
July 07 2012 22:25 GMT
#738
in a few short days I will once again have Thursday Next in my hands. greatest literary series mankind has ever known and will ever know.
SamuraiJack
Profile Joined July 2012
United Kingdom4 Posts
July 07 2012 22:53 GMT
#739
Hi guys first post long time lurker though. I work in a bookshop so have a keen interest in reading and have followed this thread quite closely. Recently I just finished reading Wild Cards Ed. By George R R Martin. [image loading]
Was pretty impressed I have to admit not my normal cup of tea. BUT could see myself getting the collection.
Just started reading The Twelve by Justin Cronin was so impressed with The Passage couldn't wait to start it. Only about 150 pages in and already hooked. One of those books I just can't put down ..... off to read .... back soon.
[image loading]
Shit in one hand, wish in the other. See which fills up first.
snotboogie
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Australia3550 Posts
July 08 2012 13:21 GMT
#740
Finished:

[image loading]

Many view Neuromancer as Gibson's best work and say that he went downhill from there; in my experience I have to say that I disagree. I actually preferred Count Zero to Neuromancer, though there are certain trade-offs. This one went in a different direction that you would expect given the overall themes of Neuromancer, but I do believe they flesh out the universe in a very believable way. It took the concepts further than previously and introduced new ones entirely - I would say that this one is actually less cyberpunk than the first book. However I enjoyed it immensely and plan to read a lot more Gibson in the future after this series.


Reading:

[image loading]

The final book in the series. I'm liking it so far, though reading the books back to back has caused me to slow my pace down. I'm not too far in so I can't give anything substantive for the moment. All seems to be in good order, though.
Prev 1 35 36 37 38 39 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
01:00
Patch Clash Monthly #2
RotterdaM660
TKL 256
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 660
ByuN 316
TKL 256
mouzHeroMarine 115
UpATreeSC 71
BRAT_OK 39
MindelVK 9
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 25569
Calm 3301
Shuttle 1141
Horang2 527
Soulkey 196
Rush 132
Dewaltoss 121
Zeus 64
Free 37
Hyun 34
[ Show more ]
sorry 30
Trap 25
Killer 19
ToSsGirL 19
PianO 17
Bale 16
JYJ 16
Rock 15
Aegong 15
scan(afreeca) 13
Hm[arnc] 11
Sacsri 7
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc7086
Dendi1219
League of Legends
KnowMe53
Counter-Strike
fl0m4540
Fnx 616
pashabiceps572
x6flipin515
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King89
Other Games
singsing1948
Liquid`RaSZi1457
Beastyqt662
ceh9451
Khaldor330
C9.Mang0316
dupreeh199
crisheroes183
420jenkins179
IndyStarCraft 151
Trikslyr89
QueenE85
Grubby16
JuggernautJason10
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH280
• Hinosc 12
• EnkiAlexander 9
• Reevou 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3224
• WagamamaTV527
League of Legends
• Nemesis2900
• TFBlade585
Other Games
• Shiphtur831
• imaqtpie370
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
16h 35m
INu's Battles
17h 35m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
19h 35m
OSC
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 5h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.