• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:47
CEST 04:47
KST 11:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6870 users

2013 - What are you reading? - Page 36

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 34 35 36 37 38 58 Next
[UoN]Sentinel
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States11320 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-18 20:06:04
June 18 2012 20:01 GMT
#701
[image loading]


Picked it up at the Spy Museum in Washington

After that, I actually want to take a look at the Quran.
Нас зовет дух отцов, память старых бойцов, дух Москвы и твердыня Полтавы
mmp
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2130 Posts
June 21 2012 04:27 GMT
#702
About 50 pages left in Rose, gotta solve this mystery.

[image loading]

The first ~350 pages were awesome, Smith always delivers.
I (λ (foo) (and (<3 foo) ( T_T foo) (RAGE foo) )) Starcraft
TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
June 21 2012 04:37 GMT
#703
[image loading]

3rd book in the Ender's Game series, which will be a movie soon http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/

[image loading]

2nd in the series, awesome so far

I have already finished all of The Foundation, A Song of Ice and Fire, LOTR, Wheel of Time, Dune, and His Dark Materials, which I highly recommend to anyone at all interested in scifi/fantasy, and still recommend to those not interested in the genres cause they are that damn good.

If I get bored of fantasy, I may spend some time in reality; (I teach a class on econ)

[image loading]
~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
jimmydu444
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada250 Posts
June 21 2012 04:58 GMT
#704
On June 21 2012 13:37 TheFish7 wrote:

If I get bored of fantasy, I may spend some time in reality; (I teach a class on econ)

[image loading]


You really shouldn't waste your time on anything that man writes. Just reread MWG instead.

To the OP and anyone interested in Mathematics/Physics/Computer Science/AI you may be interested in Godel, Escher, Bach and The Emperor's new mind. The latter is a much more technical read but presents a very different stances on the issue of AI in contrast to the one presented in the former.

[image loading]

[image loading]

I am currently doing some light readings in children's fictions.

[image loading]

[image loading]
I believe in Sets, The Rationals, LQG and PoltPrime.WE
dAPhREAk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Nauru12397 Posts
June 21 2012 05:07 GMT
#705
[image loading]
re-reading all the series.
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
June 21 2012 05:12 GMT
#706
On June 03 2012 14:18 ZapRoffo wrote:
I've started re-reading The Crying of Lot 49 by Pynchon. It entered my mind when Pete Campbell was reading it in Mad Men, but what more specifically inspired me to re-read was just that Mad Men was taking place at the time it came out and the book to me seems like an essential piece capturing some element of that time that I'm trying to flesh out in my mind. Like they can lend perspective to each other for me, especially since looking back--even though I first read it maybe 3 years ago at most--it had dissolved into a whirlwind in my mind, I only really remembered the one main theme of the conspiracy and imagination interplay, and that I thought the play part was a riot.


Finished that one now, I think it's a pretty outstanding read. Once you get through chapter 1 it flows by pretty effortlessly straight through to the end. It's almost structured like a mystery, pulling you continually onward. Plunging into the heart of something, but what exactly? That's part of the mystery. It's a real mind-bender, plus it has some great humor about it. It's remarkable.

Next up, I'm going on vacation starting tomorrow with some sizable flights, and I have two books lined up that I'm excited for. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (funny to have her mentioned two other times in the last page, I didn't look at that before picking it), and For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
visselli
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada76 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-21 05:29:55
June 21 2012 05:29 GMT
#707
[image loading]
[image loading]

mine isn't the illustrated version D:
crawlingchaos
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada2025 Posts
June 21 2012 05:33 GMT
#708
On June 21 2012 14:12 ZapRoffo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 03 2012 14:18 ZapRoffo wrote:
I've started re-reading The Crying of Lot 49 by Pynchon. It entered my mind when Pete Campbell was reading it in Mad Men, but what more specifically inspired me to re-read was just that Mad Men was taking place at the time it came out and the book to me seems like an essential piece capturing some element of that time that I'm trying to flesh out in my mind. Like they can lend perspective to each other for me, especially since looking back--even though I first read it maybe 3 years ago at most--it had dissolved into a whirlwind in my mind, I only really remembered the one main theme of the conspiracy and imagination interplay, and that I thought the play part was a riot.


Finished that one now, I think it's a pretty outstanding read. Once you get through chapter 1 it flows by pretty effortlessly straight through to the end. It's almost structured like a mystery, pulling you continually onward. Plunging into the heart of something, but what exactly? That's part of the mystery. It's a real mind-bender, plus it has some great humor about it. It's remarkable.

Next up, I'm going on vacation starting tomorrow with some sizable flights, and I have two books lined up that I'm excited for. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (funny to have her mentioned two other times in the last page, I didn't look at that before picking it), and For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway.

Mrs. Dalloway was actually one of the most riveting books I've read in a while oddly enough, haha. Woolf is really amazing.

Just finished:
[image loading]
The author of the Black Company series but this is a stand alone novel. It's densely packed with conflicting politics and infighting and grey morality.

Currently reading:
[image loading]
It's not the first book in the series, but whatever. So far so good anyway.
They say that life's a carousel, spinning fast you've gotta ride it well, the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's heaven and hell, oh well.
forgotten0ne
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States951 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-21 05:35:01
June 21 2012 05:34 GMT
#709
Previously: [image loading]

AMAZING book!

Currently: [image loading]

Loving it so far.
"Well it’s obvious that these Terran gamers are just extremely gifted when it comes to RTS games" -Ret, in regards to the first months of SC2
snotboogie
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Australia3550 Posts
June 23 2012 10:04 GMT
#710
Finished:

[image loading]

Absolutely loved it, and thought it was the best of the Mongol series so far (although it's been a few years since I've read the first three). I absolutely love military history and have a special affection for the Mongol Empire. Iggulden brought the post-Genghis period to life for me, which was extremely cool because my knowledge of the Mongol Empire pretty much consisted of Genghis's period only. An extensive portion of this book covers the push west, also known as the Mongol Invasion of Rus'. I love Subutai as a great general in history and this campaign was under his command. I loved this section of the book and it spurred many a wikipedia session! Everyone says getting involved in a land war in Russia is a bad mistake because the winters are so deadly. But... did you know hundreds of years before Napoleon, Subutai and Batu Khan's army easily took over Russia, taking capital cities such as Kiev and Moscow? What's more impressive is that they rested during summer and fought during winter because all the Russians were expecting everyone to be holed up for the season! This perfectly illustrates the Mongols' supreme badassery and this quality is one of the main reasons I love the period so much. The book covers the entire campaign, from Russia to Hungary.

Now reading:

[image loading]

The final book of the series! This one's focused on Kublai Khan, and I'm really looking forward to learning about him and his exploits in China.


Also concurrently reading:

[image loading]

How is it that I am just now getting into Cyberpunk? As a massive fantasy/sci fi fan, I can't believe I've let an entire genre slip by me. Tsk tsk tsk, snotboogie. Get on it!

And getting on it I am. I'm over halfway through the book now, and I LOVE IT! Hackers, AIs, body modifications, dystopian settings... I just can't wait to devour more cyberpunk. I'm thinking of either finishing off this trilogy after this book, or pick up Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash for a look at a different author's take on the genre as well as seeing how Cyberpunk itself has evolved over the past 20 odd years.

Ugh, and I haven't even begun steampunk yet! Truly, I'll never run out of good books to read =D
La1
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom659 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-27 14:01:52
June 27 2012 13:56 GMT
#711
On June 23 2012 19:04 snotboogie wrote:
Finished:

[image loading]

Absolutely loved it, and thought it was the best of the Mongol series so far (although it's been a few years since I've read the first three). I absolutely love military history and have a special affection for the Mongol Empire. Iggulden brought the post-Genghis period to life for me, which was extremely cool because my knowledge of the Mongol Empire pretty much consisted of Genghis's period only. An extensive portion of this book covers the push west, also known as the Mongol Invasion of Rus'. I love Subutai as a great general in history and this campaign was under his command. I loved this section of the book and it spurred many a wikipedia session! Everyone says getting involved in a land war in Russia is a bad mistake because the winters are so deadly. But... did you know hundreds of years before Napoleon, Subutai and Batu Khan's army easily took over Russia, taking capital cities such as Kiev and Moscow? What's more impressive is that they rested during summer and fought during winter because all the Russians were expecting everyone to be holed up for the season! This perfectly illustrates the Mongols' supreme badassery and this quality is one of the main reasons I love the period so much. The book covers the entire campaign, from Russia to Hungary.

Ugh, and I haven't even begun steampunk yet! Truly, I'll never run out of good books to read =D


This book looks amazing i will add it to my list to read thanks for posting it , I am currently reading :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Selfish_Gene [image loading]

I have just finished reading :

[image loading]

Review :

Amazing book, if you like computers or social behaviour its a great great read, best book i have read all year by a mile.. its actually such an amazing story that you would not think it was true if it was a movie.. i find it amazing how he was doing it for fun and i question his movites at times. I also appreachiated how he simplified some things for people who basically wont have a clue about tech.
pff
snotboogie
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Australia3550 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-29 06:51:48
June 29 2012 06:50 GMT
#712
Finished:
[image loading]

Thoughts:

I think I can safely say that I'll be consuming Cyberpunk voraciously for the next few months. This book is amazing. You take hard-boiled characters, sprinkle a bit of noir, add extreme high tech and let everything stew in a cesspool of greed and manipulation and you get this genre. AMAZING.

In this version of the future, the Internet has evolved into Cyberspace, aka The Matrix + Show Spoiler +
(This book came out way before the movie)
which is an alternative reality simulation. To access it you need a "deck" (sort of a wireless modem) and you jack it into a slot in your head. Case is a "cowboy" (Cyberspace hacker) who has been crippled by a deal gone wrong in the past that has rendered him unable to jack into cyberspace. He is living a fast life of wheeling-and-dealing, trading in commodities ranging from information to hard drugs, waiting for the day something goes wrong and he gets killed. He's suicidal in this way because his very identity is that of a cowboy. It's all he's ever wanted to do, and he won't ever get to do it again.

In walks a mysterious lady who talks of the opportunity to get extremely advanced black market surgery that will enable him to jack in again - but there's always a catch, and in this case, Case needs to embark on an epic job that will take him around, and off, the world, to meet cultists, AIs, assassins and illusionists in a wild gritty ride on the edge of the law.

I loved it. That's probably why, 3 days after completing it, I've already nearly finished its sequel:


Currently Reading:

[image loading]


This happens years later in the same universe, and is told through three parallel story threads. The events of Neuromancer have had a significant impact on Cyberspace. The three main characters are an amateur cowboy, a disgraced art dealer and a black market commando specialising in defections (where valuable employees in one mega-corporation wish to defect to a rival).

I think I'm liking this book even more than the original. It's got a wider cast of characters and really expands upon the concept of cyberspace. Can't wait to finish it and move on the the last (Noooooo) of the series.
Gotmog
Profile Joined October 2010
Serbia899 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-04 11:38:46
July 04 2012 11:38 GMT
#713
[image loading]

Today i finished reading this whole series. (there is one more book to go, which will be published this year)

I have to say that this read was amazing. I recommend it to everyone. (day9 approved!)
"When you play the game of drones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground"
Xinder
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2269 Posts
July 04 2012 11:50 GMT
#714
On July 04 2012 20:38 Gotmog wrote:
[image loading]

Today i finished reading this whole series. (there is one more book to go, which will be published this year)

I have to say that this read was amazing. I recommend it to everyone. (day9 approved!)


I agree with you there. I only found out about them b/c of day9. This series is amazing! I don't know if you've read his other series "Codex Alera" but that one was also really well done. Only 6 books in the series but it was AMAZING. I just really like his style of writing. He may be my favorite Author.
"Daaayyyy9, King Pussyfoot of NinnyVille"- Day9 while playing Amnesia
Eisregen
Profile Joined September 2011
Germany967 Posts
July 04 2012 11:51 GMT
#715
Reading this at the moment:

[image loading]

But wanna read this instead:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Photo-Noob@ http://www.flickr.com/photos/eisregen1983/
Wesso
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands1245 Posts
July 04 2012 12:02 GMT
#716
On Jul 4 2012 13:38<span style='color:#d20000'> (14 min)</span> Gotmog wrote:
[image loading]

Today i finished reading this whole series. (there is one more book to go, which will be published this year)

I have to say that this read was amazing. I recommend it to everyone. (day9 approved!)


Agree with this. Even though the first 2 books weren't that special in my opinion (still enjoyable though), the series takes off to awesomeness really fast and stays there.

I'm currently reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson, I'm not that far in, I can already say it's pretty unique and interesting
Xayoz
Profile Joined December 2010
Estonia373 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-04 12:12:22
July 04 2012 12:11 GMT
#717
On July 04 2012 20:38 Gotmog wrote:
[image loading]

Today i finished reading this whole series. (there is one more book to go, which will be published this year)

I have to say that this read was amazing. I recommend it to everyone. (day9 approved!)

Read some of those books a while back. Really wanted to like this series but couldn't. While I mostly enjoyed the setting and story lines Butcher has crafted, I must say this - Harry Dresden is quite probably the most annoying main character I have ever encountered in a fantasy literature.
He would no doubt be right at home in some comic book but in actual literature... I have never face palmed as much while reading a book.

Currently halfway trough Steven Erikson's 'Gardens of the Moon'. Just loving it thus far. Have a feeling I'll be going trough all of The Malazan Book of the Fallen soon enough.
Whenever you correct someone's grammar just remember that nobody likes you.
Syn Harvest
Profile Joined July 2012
United States191 Posts
July 04 2012 12:19 GMT
#718
I just finished A Song of Ice and Fire which is incredible.

I am about to finish the second book of the Kingkiller Chronicles. Which I Highly recommend if you like ASOIF.

I just picked up Gardens of the Moon because I have heard nothing but good things about The Malazan series
Open your heart and embrace the darkness
Gotmog
Profile Joined October 2010
Serbia899 Posts
July 04 2012 13:22 GMT
#719
On July 04 2012 21:11 Xayoz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2012 20:38 Gotmog wrote:
[image loading]

Today i finished reading this whole series. (there is one more book to go, which will be published this year)

I have to say that this read was amazing. I recommend it to everyone. (day9 approved!)

Read some of those books a while back. Really wanted to like this series but couldn't. While I mostly enjoyed the setting and story lines Butcher has crafted, I must say this - Harry Dresden is quite probably the most annoying main character I have ever encountered in a fantasy literature.
He would no doubt be right at home in some comic book but in actual literature... I have never face palmed as much while reading a book.

Currently halfway trough Steven Erikson's 'Gardens of the Moon'. Just loving it thus far. Have a feeling I'll be going trough all of The Malazan Book of the Fallen soon enough.

If you want us to understand what you mean, you are going to have to elaborate on that =)
"When you play the game of drones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground"
Xinder
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2269 Posts
July 06 2012 03:39 GMT
#720
On July 04 2012 22:22 Gotmog wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2012 21:11 Xayoz wrote:
On July 04 2012 20:38 Gotmog wrote:
[image loading]

Today i finished reading this whole series. (there is one more book to go, which will be published this year)

I have to say that this read was amazing. I recommend it to everyone. (day9 approved!)

Read some of those books a while back. Really wanted to like this series but couldn't. While I mostly enjoyed the setting and story lines Butcher has crafted, I must say this - Harry Dresden is quite probably the most annoying main character I have ever encountered in a fantasy literature.
He would no doubt be right at home in some comic book but in actual literature... I have never face palmed as much while reading a book.

Currently halfway trough Steven Erikson's 'Gardens of the Moon'. Just loving it thus far. Have a feeling I'll be going trough all of The Malazan Book of the Fallen soon enough.

If you want us to understand what you mean, you are going to have to elaborate on that =)


I'm gonna have to agree with gotmog's request.
"Daaayyyy9, King Pussyfoot of NinnyVille"- Day9 while playing Amnesia
Prev 1 34 35 36 37 38 58 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 196
ProTech131
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17802
Rain 1565
GuemChi 716
NaDa 23
Bale 19
Dota 2
monkeys_forever476
NeuroSwarm201
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
summit1g7064
taco 560
minikerr46
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1128
Mew2King98
Other Games
WinterStarcraft567
JimRising 565
C9.Mang0189
ViBE131
ZombieGrub15
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick990
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 179
• davetesta36
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Stunt297
• Lourlo151
Other Games
• Scarra959
• Shiphtur581
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
7h 13m
INu's Battles
8h 13m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
10h 13m
OSC
19h 28m
Replay Cast
20h 13m
OSC
1d 20h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.