• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:26
CEST 06:26
KST 13:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10625 users

Why is protoss considered to be the "easiest race"

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 41 42 43 Next All
Nible
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden85 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-10 20:38:10
August 10 2011 20:05 GMT
#1
Why is Protoss often considered to be the easiest race to play? As most Protosses have (or rather as every player), I have often after a win been the subject of the losing opponents rage and balance whining. Some of these "discussions" have been about how easy Protoss is to play. After one of these discussions I actually searched for it and it turned out most people on the many SC2 forums in fact do think that it is the easiest race! I cannot, for my life, understand what is so much harder with the other races. I mean, tech switching and almost never having to look at your base as Zerg? Teching as Terran with all of their turtle units and structures? In my opinion, every race has its harder and its aspects of play. To me, the Protoss has always been the micro race as it has a lot of spell casters, that's probably the main reason I play it. Microing blink stalkers, phoenixes and so on. Having to tech quite fast to deal with opponents tier 1 units and microing while macroing is not what I call “easy”. Of the harder things a Zerg has to deal with we have the decision making, whether to make drones or units and such, and Terran has... ummm... umm....... drop… play? no that EZ... banshees? nah, that too… (jk, jk, I bet there are hard things for a Terran as well).

Can anyone please try to get me to understand what is so easy about Protoss? Or is this discussion as pointless and should be as ignored as IdrA’s balance complaints? Am I right in what I’m saying?

With risk of being totally ignored in any SC2 related discussion if someone remembers me, I feel obligated to tell you that I play in Silver league. I’m not a total retard just because of it, though.
This whole thread post is probably a little bit biased as I have mostly played Protoss, not as much Zerg and little-to-none Terran. Please correct me if you think you know better. I’m hardly the most knowing player. ^^ These are just my thoughts.

Hope I haven't messed the whole texted up so you can't understand it . I'm so eager to post it, lol.

EDIT: Actually, I think I missed out on the part where I was supposed to say what was easy with the Protoss race. This was not supposed to be "WHINE WHINE PEOPLE DON'T THINK MY RACE IS HARD!"

As many of you say, yes the macro might be easier as a protoss with the less diversity in tech and unit compositions. But as I said, the micro is harder, depending on playstyle, of course.

And about Zerg having to be at one more base at all times I think can be fairly discussed. I don't think that it is necessary to be all of the time, but yes, it might be necessary to expand at least a little bit before your opponent. And I'd also like to add from my slightly biased perspective that expanding as zerg isn't quite as risky as with the other races. A zerg can almost instantly after the base is up increase their production. A protoss on 3 bases within 10 mins practically get raped by a zerg on 3 bases at 10 mins. Just saw it on WhiteRa's stream. It's not until later that a protoss or terran get use of their expansion.

And just to make a point concerning the lack of multitasking requirements and map control, I think I can fairly effectively at least in Silver league take map control with phoenixes and which as a harrass unit requires a bit of multi tasking if you're going to macro at the same time, same as with blink stalker micro. As I stated in my original post.

This thread didn't quite turn out as I wanted. :/
In Platinum league, yes that am I, and, I shall not deny. | 对不起我的中文不好
jonathan1
Profile Joined October 2010
United States395 Posts
August 10 2011 20:07 GMT
#2
in my opinion, it's because they don't have the ability to move out of their base with small amounts of units to harass very well. we can see much more multi-tasking from terran and zerg players while protoss tend to sit in their base more and just focus on macro.
BushidoSnipr
Profile Joined November 2010
United States910 Posts
August 10 2011 20:07 GMT
#3
Just look at the hotkeys for protoss thats what I would say
jimminy_kriket
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Canada5542 Posts
August 10 2011 20:08 GMT
#4
On August 11 2011 05:07 BushidoSnipr wrote:
Just look at the hotkeys for protoss thats what I would say

The hotkeys for all races are incredibly easy in sc2...
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
QTIP.
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2113 Posts
August 10 2011 20:09 GMT
#5
On August 11 2011 05:05 Nible wrote:
Or is this discussion as pointless and should be as ignored as IdrA’s balance complaints?


These discussions devolve into unfruitful flaming where posters beat their chests and talk about how their respective race is the hardest to master, weakest in balance, and most frustrating.

So to answer this question, yes.
"Trash Micro but Win. Its Marin." - Min Chul
UniversalMind
Profile Joined March 2011
United States326 Posts
August 10 2011 20:09 GMT
#6
dunno I have a friend who plays zerg who cant spend money for shit and hes been playing zerg since release, he like has only 55 apm

but when he plays Protoss he NEVER floats money and this is him off racing

one of the important aspects of low level (Bronze-Diamond) play is spending money regardless on what it is on usually

Lewan72
Profile Joined April 2011
United States381 Posts
August 10 2011 20:10 GMT
#7
I hate it when people say Protoss is 1a move attack win. Protoss requires the MOST micro out of any race. If anything ZERG is a 1a move attack win race (not trying to diss on zerg, zerg is still hard and you have to macro very good). And then they say Protoss is then OP when we have the lowest winrate.
Yay
MC / Hero / MMA / Bomber / Coca / Suppy
Sc1pio
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States823 Posts
August 10 2011 20:10 GMT
#8
Everybody thinks their race is the hardest/worst, and the race they have the worst winrate against is easiest/best. Move along, nothing to see here.
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's there are few. " -Shunro Suzuki | fortuna fortes adiuvat
Xova
Profile Joined November 2010
United States342 Posts
August 10 2011 20:10 GMT
#9
Protoss macro is a bit easier, and yes I do play protoss.
If you're a Starcraft fan, you're an Lim Yo Hwan fan.
RHMVNovus
Profile Joined October 2010
United States738 Posts
August 10 2011 20:10 GMT
#10
On August 11 2011 05:07 BushidoSnipr wrote:
Just look at the hotkeys for protoss thats what I would say

W? E?

I'm aware you're referring to army hotkeys, but the problem is, no race's top players use hotkeys as much as they could or should. Controlling with the mouse is a pretty race-blind phenomenon.
Droning his sorrows in massive amounts of macro
Tabbris
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Bangladesh2839 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-10 20:12:07
August 10 2011 20:11 GMT
#11
Protoss macro is really easy and simple. Yes i play protoss. And units need semiless babysitting. They wont instantly die like zergs and terran. Thats about it
koshr
Profile Joined February 2009
Germany61 Posts
August 10 2011 20:11 GMT
#12
...to beat!
Mortal
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
2943 Posts
August 10 2011 20:11 GMT
#13
Yeah... these discussions never get anywhere past balance, claiming players are terrible, and other such things. It would be best to simply look at the mechanics and mixture of each race and determine which you believe to be the easiest to play.
The universe created an audience for itself.
Maxie
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden2653 Posts
August 10 2011 20:11 GMT
#14
People will always complain when they lose. That's the only reason.

However, I think you might be underestimating the difficulty of the other races (personally I wouldn't say that there is an "easiest" race, they're just... different).
Northern_iight
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada363 Posts
August 10 2011 20:12 GMT
#15
it's not the easiest to play... it's easiest to learn. at the low level, chrono boosting after you used it all on warpgate isn't that big of a deal. also, macroing by massing gateways is very viable. looking at zerg, u gotta constantly inject and stay 1 base ahead of opponent. Terran macro is pretty tough too as you just can't mass barracks, group them all and press a. Doesn't work. pressing "w" and massing stalkers does though. From bronze to diamond.

in terms of balance, i think it game is pretty balanced at the moment. nothing is broken to the point a certain race can do nothing against a certain strategy.
Kaitokid
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Germany1327 Posts
August 10 2011 20:12 GMT
#16
I play random and I also think Protoss is the easiest race to learn and also the "most relaxing" race to play. You don't need as much multitasking to play Protoss.
DannyJ
Profile Joined March 2010
United States5110 Posts
August 10 2011 20:12 GMT
#17
Macro is obviously the easiest, there's less ways to flat out die, A-moving is far more successful compared to other races.
Penecks
Profile Joined August 2010
United States600 Posts
August 10 2011 20:13 GMT
#18
I feel it's that Protoss can field the most effective 200/200 compositions. Thus if neither player makes any strategic decisions, no harass, no map positioning, nothing crazy, the Protoss will most likely win the game. Obviously a game will almost never play out in this way, but people love to exaggerate.
straight poppin
See.Blue
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States2673 Posts
August 10 2011 20:13 GMT
#19
Pretty much cause of Idra's comments on the matter. Remember when Idra was still relevant to cutting edge play? In all seriousness though it's been around since BW, 1a2a3a and whatnot...
HentaiPrime
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada85 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-10 23:31:46
August 10 2011 20:14 GMT
#20
[image loading]

and

[image loading]

now you're set!

optional:
[image loading]
for after you 1a, hands off keyboard and celebrate!

that's why i play protoss, zerg is way too hard and u can't 1a seige tanks
┻━━━┻ ︵ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ︵ ▄▄▄︵ ҉‭‭‭˙ (╯°o°)╯
1 2 3 4 5 41 42 43 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft322
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta71
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft624
PiGStarcraft322
RuFF_SC2 214
StarCraft: Brood War
Stork 139
Leta 76
Hyuk 43
Horang2 39
Bale 16
Icarus 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm199
League of Legends
JimRising 634
Counter-Strike
taco 390
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox704
C9.Mang0270
Westballz30
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor636
Other Games
summit1g9521
Coldzera 805
Sick114
ViBE87
ArmadaUGS40
Liquid`Ken3
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick778
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream123
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 103
• Letter148
• Adnapsc2 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota276
League of Legends
• Lourlo1075
• Stunt353
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
5h 35m
Online Event
6h 35m
FEL
11h 35m
AI Arena Tournament
12h 35m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
14h 35m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
INu's Battles
1d 7h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.