• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:22
CEST 11:22
KST 18:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9753 users

Article on paying to get college essays written - Page 2

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
domovoi
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1478 Posts
November 17 2010 20:02 GMT
#21
Not only is it cheating, it devalues your degree and all your peers. If your college results are not consistent with your true ability, employers will be less confident about hiring and may resort to other signals.

I can't really think of a way to solve this. I guess you could make it a misdemeanor to run one of these sites, but there are probably constitutional issues involved with that. Maybe require essays to be written in special programs.
blipster8
Profile Joined January 2009
United States71 Posts
November 17 2010 20:11 GMT
#22
This is funny stuff. Either the guy is only helping with low-quality work at junky universities, or he's only working in departments that have nothing to do with mine (math). A research paper in math means a paper proving some result which was previously an open problem; if he could crank those out at however many pages/hour, he would be famous. Similar things go for lots of technical areas, like physics, computer science, engineering, etc.

I think the biggest telling sign is his salary. $66k a year is not terrible, but if he was capable of getting a Ph.D. at a good (read: top) university in any reasonable subject, he'd be able to make considerably more money with no particular effort.
Trowabarton756
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States870 Posts
November 17 2010 20:13 GMT
#23
On November 18 2010 04:52 StarBrift wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 18 2010 04:43 Trowabarton756 wrote:
On November 18 2010 04:31 emythrel wrote:
On November 18 2010 04:27 CanucksJC wrote:
Im not surprised that something like this is happening...
I'd gladly pay someone a reasonable amount to have my exams written and im not even that rich.
universities are just too competitive and exhausting these days...


so you'd rather not earn your degree? thats more of a reflection on you than your uni.

You go to further education to learn and get a better job. If a lawyer had someone else write all their papers, how would they ever be able to do their job? Sorry, but your statement makes me think very badly of you, I have never cheated in my life and have never considered it an option. Not because "its wrong" but because I want to EARN my accolades so that i can feel proud of them.


well thats a tool statement. Just because I don't want to waste my time writing papers for a class I already know stuff about(im looking at you fucking english) doesn't mean I don't know it, I just don't want to waste my time.

And before you say anything about me not earning anything, I was like the guy in the OP during High School, getting paid to let people cheat off me.


Sorry to break it to you but studying well in highschool does not give you a moral right to let other people do your work for you in college.

It's cheating. Period.


Thanks for again making assumptions, I write all my own papers in college and besides don't talk about morality lol, morality is all in the eyes of the beholder.
http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Trowabarton756
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-17 20:17:00
November 17 2010 20:16 GMT
#24
On November 18 2010 05:11 blipster8 wrote:
This is funny stuff. Either the guy is only helping with low-quality work at junky universities, or he's only working in departments that have nothing to do with mine (math). A research paper in math means a paper proving some result which was previously an open problem; if he could crank those out at however many pages/hour, he would be famous. Similar things go for lots of technical areas, like physics, computer science, engineering, etc.

I think the biggest telling sign is his salary. $66k a year is not terrible, but if he was capable of getting a Ph.D. at a good (read: top) university in any reasonable subject, he'd be able to make considerably more money with no particular effort.


He says in the article that he does nearly everything, but that he doesn't do mathematics.

Interesting read. Of course everyone knows this exists (of course not to what extent), but the perspective of the ghostwriter himself is truly interesting.
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
November 17 2010 20:20 GMT
#25
People should learn to write their own essays. And if you already know everything in the class but are too lazy to write an essay, then why can't you write your own essay, if it's so easy?
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
Hikko
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1126 Posts
November 17 2010 20:22 GMT
#26
If I didn't have a huge issue with the morality of this field of work, I would LOVE to do this for a living. I feel a lot like this guy when I write papers, it gives me a huge rush and satisfaction.

I once was offered a good bit of money in high school to write a 12 page research paper for another student, and I actually did about half of it, but I ultimately felt like it was the wrong thing to do. Despite my need and desire for the money I could have received, I deleted the work and gave the person some lame excuse as to why I couldn't do it.

Curse you, morals
♥
Go0g3n
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Russian Federation410 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-17 20:29:03
November 17 2010 20:26 GMT
#27
It used to be "The poor pay twice", now it's "The lazy".
FindingPride
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States1001 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-17 20:36:59
November 17 2010 20:30 GMT
#28
I condone cheating to getting ahead in life. You live only once and well. I personally could never give a fuck about anothers opinion unless it was important to me. I don't see why so many people are upset by this. Politicians do it every day and so do big businesses. If you want to get ahead you cut corners. Morals are just walls to deter you from cheating others for personal gain. The only real consequence is the damnation you give your self which is mostly attributed through childhood . Do what you will as all evil and good are perceived by none other then your self.
viletomato
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada277 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-17 20:34:30
November 17 2010 20:31 GMT
#29
HAHA that 'genius' at writing can write anything except for math. I highly doubt he could write anything close to a mathematical paper because you have to really KNOW what you are writing about.

(Only only say this because I'm studying math ATM )

By the way 66K is a pathetic sum of money considering he labours hours and hours without end and is constantly being harrassed by lazy idiots.
Tomatoes, the king of fruits
BroaR
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada18 Posts
November 17 2010 20:35 GMT
#30
I was reading an article about how students take Ritalin to enhance performance at school also ;its a french article so useless to post
bzzzzzz i'm a bee
Wihl
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden472 Posts
November 17 2010 20:40 GMT
#31
Why doesnt he get a law degree or something? Hell, I graduated this year with a marketing degree and am getting 80k per year.
BottleAbuser
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Korea (South)1888 Posts
November 17 2010 20:52 GMT
#32
I don't see how he could write college-level papers on hard science subjects with just a few hours of googling, unless he really is a genius. The average paper I see has 10 technical terms in the first sentence, which makes utterly no sense unless you know their definitions which are often whole paragraphs themselves, sometimes containing even more technical terms. Try to fit the terms that appear important into random sentences and you'll end up with absolute garbage that makes the submitter look like he didn't learn a damn thing at college.

I conclude that he writes mostly for humanities courses, in which opinion is everything (as long as its not your own, so you can name drop).
Compilers are like boyfriends, you miss a period and they go crazy on you.
Enervate
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1769 Posts
November 17 2010 21:05 GMT
#33
On November 18 2010 05:13 Trowabarton756 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 18 2010 04:52 StarBrift wrote:
On November 18 2010 04:43 Trowabarton756 wrote:
On November 18 2010 04:31 emythrel wrote:
On November 18 2010 04:27 CanucksJC wrote:
Im not surprised that something like this is happening...
I'd gladly pay someone a reasonable amount to have my exams written and im not even that rich.
universities are just too competitive and exhausting these days...


so you'd rather not earn your degree? thats more of a reflection on you than your uni.

You go to further education to learn and get a better job. If a lawyer had someone else write all their papers, how would they ever be able to do their job? Sorry, but your statement makes me think very badly of you, I have never cheated in my life and have never considered it an option. Not because "its wrong" but because I want to EARN my accolades so that i can feel proud of them.


well thats a tool statement. Just because I don't want to waste my time writing papers for a class I already know stuff about(im looking at you fucking english) doesn't mean I don't know it, I just don't want to waste my time.

And before you say anything about me not earning anything, I was like the guy in the OP during High School, getting paid to let people cheat off me.


Sorry to break it to you but studying well in highschool does not give you a moral right to let other people do your work for you in college.

It's cheating. Period.


Thanks for again making assumptions, I write all my own papers in college and besides don't talk about morality lol, morality is all in the eyes of the beholder.


No, it's not. Morality is defined by society and the current state of human culture. It is possible for certain things to be moral to some cultures and immoral to others, but an individual alone can not define what is moral.
mikado
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia407 Posts
November 17 2010 21:08 GMT
#34
I wrote a couple of assignments and essay for my friends as well, for about $400 a piece; my services didn't come cheap but I guaranteed high distinction
perditissimus
Noxie
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2227 Posts
November 17 2010 21:10 GMT
#35
Pretty interesting, I see a lot of this happening, more within the school then people using out side sources.. I feel like 66 is a low number.. especially when he said he got 2 grand for doing one thesis...im guessing he may just get 5-10 page papers... which honestly probably do not take long at all, I can write 10 pages in roughly 3 hours.. maybe a bit more (it comes down to the subject) but I am sure after writing so many a lot of that filler text knowledge really helps you speed up the process. I just figured the number he made per year would be higher.
BottleAbuser
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Korea (South)1888 Posts
November 17 2010 21:12 GMT
#36
Morals and ethics can come from different things, depending on what you'll believe.

*Shrug* I've edited a few essays and SOPs for friends. Mostly by taking their badly written papers and substituting equivalent sentences or paragraphs that mean the same thing (or rather, what the guy's actually trying to say). Sometimes, the paper itself is not the work, but rather the presentation of the work (e.g. research), and English is a barrier for some people.
Compilers are like boyfriends, you miss a period and they go crazy on you.
FecalFrown
Profile Joined June 2010
215 Posts
November 17 2010 21:19 GMT
#37
This guy did an interview on NPR a couple years ago, and came off as a real prick then as well. One the most telling quotes from him was, "Yeah, if they piss me off or anything, I'll sometimes turn them in to their professor".

He clearly has about zero character and said about as much in his interview then and his article now.
Insanious
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada1251 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-17 21:24:00
November 17 2010 21:22 GMT
#38
Universities are glorified High Schools... if you can memorize things you can get an A+ if you know why something works but cannot memorize the correct terms, say hello to a B.

Sad but true... every test I have written for my university so far has me getting 100% on short and long answer questions (the "explain theory" questions) but when it is "which one of these is not one of the marketing forces?" multiple choice shit... I do a lot worse... 60-70% correct.

But in the real world will I ever need to know how to calculate the Confidence interval of a statistic by hand, know how to find the NPV of some investment by hand? Hell no, I will use a computer program to do that... but knowing what a CI or NPV means will be important. Too bad we aren't tested on knowing what something means and are tested on how to find something useless.
If you want to help me out... http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b82744b816d3
xLethargicax
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States469 Posts
November 17 2010 21:37 GMT
#39
I hate how nearly everyone responding to this has a, "holier than thou" point of view. You do not know the writers situation or the customers situation.

I also hate how education works in this country. I am rather poor at math due to slacking in lower grade levels. My GPA was a 1.9 but I scored a 2120 on my SAT. I got accepted to a music school for symphonic composition but I couldn't actually get into the full school because of my GPA. If I want to, and can, compose music for a living, why the fuck should I have to study higher calculus? Don't get me wrong, I love reason and math, but it honestly makes no sense that someone who IS going to be writing music for a living should have to know that. I tested out of music theory I, II, III and IV and I know music does not require that. Colleges should spend more time specialized with the student and field of choice.

Instead I'm sitting in a community college with a bunch of retards because I put my self in a place I couldn't get out of with a GPA, but yet Indiana University's Board of Music told me I was one of their most progressed prospects last fall.
L0CUST.
Profile Joined August 2010
38 Posts
November 17 2010 21:40 GMT
#40
On November 18 2010 06:22 Insanious wrote:
But in the real world will I ever need to know how to calculate the Confidence interval of a statistic by hand, know how to find the NPV of some investment by hand? Hell no, I will use a computer program to do that... but knowing what a CI or NPV means will be important. Too bad we aren't tested on knowing what something means and are tested on how to find something useless.


Knowing what something means is worthless. Knowing how to apply that knowledge is useful. Knowing what the result of that application means is worth a decent salary. Figuring out better ways to solve complex problems is worth millions. Take your pick, I find everything college teaches to be over-hyped and meaningless. Reading and internships give a better education than the current system can achieve.

On the topic of the ghost writer's legitimacy, 20 pages of writing a day can't be that hard, especially considering the number of years he has been doing it.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
firebathero 1653
Hyuk 390
Bisu 388
Dewaltoss 88
Larva 83
Killer 80
Leta 76
Sexy 65
EffOrt 60
ZerO 55
[ Show more ]
Soma 49
ToSsGirL 42
soO 40
Yoon 37
Sharp 35
Aegong 33
Light 31
Bale 22
NaDa 18
Sacsri 17
Hm[arnc] 15
JulyZerg 10
sorry 6
Terrorterran 1
Dota 2
Fuzer 130
League of Legends
JimRising 410
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss793
byalli735
kRYSTAL_31
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor959
crisheroes444
Other Games
gofns28077
summit1g7843
singsing1679
olofmeister988
ceh9649
Mew2King90
ArmadaUGS41
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream174
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2382
League of Legends
• Stunt400
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
3h 38m
OSC
12h 38m
CranKy Ducklings
1d
Online Event
1d 1h
FEL
1d 6h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 7h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 9h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.