• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:06
CEST 16:06
KST 23:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11092 users

Article on paying to get college essays written - Page 9

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
Lobotomist
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1541 Posts
November 19 2010 12:28 GMT
#161
Does this article sound fake to anyone else? It's funny when you think about the context...but it sounds a bit over-dramatized to be real. Do people really write like that when they're writing about their own unethical busniess practices? Pretty grandiose.
Teching to hive too quickly isn't just a risk: it's an ultrarisk
FetTerBender
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany1393 Posts
November 19 2010 12:35 GMT
#162
On November 19 2010 21:28 Lobotomist wrote:
Does this article sound fake to anyone else? It's funny when you think about the context...but it sounds a bit over-dramatized to be real. Do people really write like that when they're writing about their own unethical busniess practices? Pretty grandiose.


Being a whisteblower is becoming pretty popular nowadays, especially if the information leaked is dramatized a bit. Why would you not - especially when staying anonymous - tell everyone an amazing story about your life?

On the other hand, it seems most unlikely to me, that more of lets say 1-2% of the stundets actually do this on a regular basis. 2 main reasons for it: 1. Money 2. Building at least a basic competence.
There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity.
Alkaov
Profile Joined October 2008
Canada5 Posts
November 21 2010 00:54 GMT
#163
I've seen this type of thing happen before. There's even another thread on TL where someone trolled a craigslist poster who was looking to write people's essays for money.
http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=113534
AcTiVillain
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia81 Posts
November 21 2010 01:18 GMT
#164
I see advertisement flyers for Custom Essay writers in Australia. Usually they are stuck to traffic poles so as your waiting to cross the road you have "Need an essay finished?" in front of your face.

Luckily I don't study any subjects that require me to write large amounts of words. I'm more of a math person.
checo
Profile Joined November 2008
Mexico1364 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-21 17:42:14
November 21 2010 17:24 GMT
#165
I liked this article pretty much XD, i did some works for money at some points(nothing this serious of course), was funny and nice to read he really is a good writer ^^
El amor no mueve al mundo, ni hace brillar el sol, pero el amor hace latir este corazon....
Wisdom[9]
Profile Joined November 2008
Poland16 Posts
November 21 2010 17:43 GMT
#166
On November 18 2010 05:02 domovoi wrote:
Not only is it cheating, it devalues your degree and all your peers. If your college results are not consistent with your true ability, employers will be less confident about hiring and may resort to other signals.

I can't really think of a way to solve this. I guess you could make it a misdemeanor to run one of these sites, but there are probably constitutional issues involved with that. Maybe require essays to be written in special programs.


actually one thing i did get out of the economics classes i took in college was that universities and the grades you earned are actually a terrible measure for whether or not somebody will be successful at the job they apply for, even if it's in the same field. however, jobs dont have a lot of resources to work with, so they assume if you worked hard enough to get good grades to get into a prestigious school, then earned good grades at that school, you're displaying enough energy, motivation to want a good job like the one they offer. the thesis of this labor economics class i took was 'school is a terrible indicator of success in a good job, it just shows who's willing to work hard enough and jump through hoops of the educational process to earn the right to try the job. whether or not someone succeeds is a totally different story.'

while the guy in this article is probably hurting the way we see the educational system's credibility a bit, if jobs looked to other signals for hiring people it might actually be beneficial. i'm not sure what they'd use, but using some creativity to change the way we hire couldn't be bad.
annul
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2841 Posts
November 21 2010 17:51 GMT
#167
this is legitimate.

one guy i used to know from a class i used to take offered me $300 to write him a 10 page exam paper because "you seem to know what the hell the professor is talking about." not going to admit whether i took the offer or not, but this does happen.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46481 Posts
November 21 2010 18:00 GMT
#168
This article is amazing. I'm seriously in awe.

I'm finishing up my masters degree in mathematics education (to become a high school math teacher), and there is SO much wrong with American education. And yet, I can't find myself mad at the writer of this article. It's really intriguing.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
newvsoldschool
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
428 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-21 18:48:43
November 21 2010 18:44 GMT
#169
Well, I didn't think it was that terrible of a thing to do. I used to write essays for people myself. Back in high school people would pay me $50 for an essay. I only write essays on government and economics though. In college I did some for $200 flat fee and additional $40 per page beyond 5 pages.

Most people I've done business with already know the content. If they don't, I spend 5-10 minutes to talk in person (just so the prof wouldn't suspect them) or about an hour through instant messaging if I'm available. I even sort of copy the person's writing style, it's fun and rewarding (maybe they have favorite words to use and I would use them a bit excessively, talking in 3rd/1st person for most of the essay/etc).

"I was so surprised when I first played StarCraft 2. I couldn't believe that such an easy game exists... I guess the best way to attract people these days is to make things easy and simple." -Midas, Brood War Progamer
misaTO
Profile Joined September 2010
Argentina204 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-21 19:01:05
November 21 2010 19:00 GMT
#170
This article has been exagerated for dramatical purposes but it is, indeed, true. There is no honest way to write an essay. I rather take a test in front of an evaluation committee.
OHSHITOHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT
Stress87
Profile Joined November 2010
1 Post
Last Edited: 2010-11-21 22:02:52
November 21 2010 21:59 GMT
#171
I've been paid to write more than a few essays for other students. And as the article writer explains, word of mouth travels fast, and business picks up FAST.

Myself, I limit myself to a few essays every semester mainly because I have my own work to worry about. It is very easy to write generic essays for other students, and if you have the skill I recommend it. The only two tools you need is a keyboard and the internet. Need to learn how the Classical Economic Dichotomy presented itself in the most recent US recession? Google it.

My personal comment on the term 'academic honesty' is this; What planet do you live on? Originality is overrated. True scholars do not make good money, and never will. The people who make fortunes are the ones who pay others to do the original work for them. (Read: Entrepreneur)

"Turtles are fearless, they never run from anything!"
red_b
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1267 Posts
November 21 2010 22:14 GMT
#172
at the end of the day a diploma is just a piece of paper whether you work for it or not.

you dont learn shit in school, you learn it on the job, you just need the registrar of your university to say you fulfilled your requirement.
Those small maps were like a boxing match in a phone booth.
Hidden_MotiveS
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada2562 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-22 03:44:37
November 22 2010 03:43 GMT
#173
I don't think I'm really so bad at writing essays that I could pay someone to write a better one for me considering that I would have learned material from the course rather than them.

I read the article, and am glad that it is possible to research a topic using just online resources. He might really help me there for when I take a humantities course in third year.

About cheating, morally I think it is wrong to cheat. You're getting ahead at the expense of others. But I think I would cheat if I knew I had no chance of getting caught and it would improve my grades. Grades mean a lot to me. Just as they will to my first potential employers, and the office of the registrar.
sikyon
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada1045 Posts
November 22 2010 04:09 GMT
#174
at the end of the day a diploma is just a piece of paper whether you work for it or not.

you dont learn shit in school, you learn it on the job, you just need the registrar of your university to say you fulfilled your requirement.

You know....

I'm finishing up my undergrad in engineering and I've done alot of co-op jobs. I look around and I see some people not using what they've learned in school. Then I come along and say something like "oh hey you can model that exponentially" or "interesting, have you considered complexing actions in the reaction" or "have we tried something like selective etching", and they stare at me. They stare at me not because they don't know what I'm talking about, they stare at me because they never though about using that.

You DO learn a bunch of stuff in school. The question is whether or not you apply what you've learned. If you go out of your way to think about the problem, to analyze it, and try to think about what you know, and then apply it.

The people who tell you that you don't learn anything in school are the people who can't use what they've learned. That's your job, the school isn't going to teach you to do that. Nobody's going to teach you to do that - you have to do it yourself.
nK)Duke
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany936 Posts
November 23 2010 20:26 GMT
#175
On November 18 2010 04:27 CanucksJC wrote:
Im not surprised that something like this is happening...
I'd gladly pay someone a reasonable amount to have my exams written and im not even that rich.
universities are just too competitive and exhausting these days...


Funny that you are canadian. I had to think about the 'too asian' thread.
MoonfireSpam
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1153 Posts
November 24 2010 01:12 GMT
#176
This has been going on since ever. People are coached for exams, interviews, have people write CVs and essays for them. The trick and employability comes from hiring people good enough to not get caught. The skill in management is to make sure they only screw over your competitors and not your own business (before they prompty run away).

Was always wondering how much you can charge for Med school interview coaching / application form "help" but too lazy to get off my arse and do it. Many kids just have their parents do it though if they are doctors themselves.

66k is pretty decent, especially if you get paid some in cash :>
AttackZerg
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States7637 Posts
November 24 2010 01:22 GMT
#177
In an effort to enter into this clearly profitable field, I refuse to let my lack of grammar or education hold me back.

For five dollars a page, I am currently working on all junior high , and freshmen book reports and summaries. I draw my line at the 10th grade...... that shit is CRAZY.
pfods
Profile Joined September 2010
United States895 Posts
November 24 2010 01:26 GMT
#178
i can understand why people would do this.

i, for one, am sick and tired of grinding out the same 8-10 page papers about the most introductory topics in my classes instead of spending more time in the class studying the topic deeply. papers are such a bad way of expressing the knowledge of a student. some people i know are brilliant when we talk about various topics, and when i read their writing, i want to cry and slap them. some people are dumb as shit, but can regurgitate facts in a coherent enough way to get an A on a paper.

tl;dr university is set up poorly

Reikobi
Profile Joined November 2010
United States12 Posts
November 24 2010 01:27 GMT
#179
I've written a couple of people's essays before, sometimes for cash and sometimes for free (usually girls, lol). Looking back, I kind of regret contributing to the problem of near-illiterate graduate-level students in my own minuscule way.
AttackZerg
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States7637 Posts
November 24 2010 01:34 GMT
#180
I also will take any p.e classes for your struggling overweights minors. I am good at basketball, but terrible at baseball/football.

I promise you will get an A for Effort at least!
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
SHIN 278
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SHIN 278
mouzHeroMarine 260
ProTech144
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 41390
Bisu 2791
Hyuk 1689
Shuttle 1619
Mini 695
EffOrt 631
Larva 445
Soma 320
firebathero 234
ZerO 210
[ Show more ]
hero 123
Last 98
Zeus 73
Pusan 67
Sexy 53
Killer 50
Hyun 47
Bale 36
Trap 36
Mong 35
sorry 32
Hm[arnc] 27
ToSsGirL 27
PianO 25
Aegong 22
zelot 19
Rock 12
Noble 12
yabsab 12
JulyZerg 9
Sacsri 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc6855
qojqva1496
Dendi976
Counter-Strike
fl0m1052
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1287
crisheroes1020
Liquid`Hasu455
Lowko428
Other Games
gofns43565
singsing2576
B2W.Neo1350
DeMusliM272
Livibee175
Hui .146
Liquid`VortiX145
ArmadaUGS87
Mew2King83
elazer27
ZerO(Twitch)20
CosmosSc2 18
KnowMe4
Beastyqt1
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream76
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 44
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 6731
League of Legends
• Jankos1901
Other Games
• WagamamaTV200
Upcoming Events
FEL
1h 54m
AI Arena Tournament
2h 54m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4h 54m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19h 54m
INu's Battles
21h 54m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 19h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.