• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:45
CEST 21:45
KST 04:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10304 users

Article on paying to get college essays written - Page 3

Forum Index > Closed
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Roe
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada6002 Posts
November 17 2010 21:47 GMT
#41
On November 18 2010 06:19 FecalFrown wrote:
This guy did an interview on NPR a couple years ago, and came off as a real prick then as well. One the most telling quotes from him was, "Yeah, if they piss me off or anything, I'll sometimes turn them in to their professor".

He clearly has about zero character and said about as much in his interview then and his article now.

You know these people don't actually deserve to have PHDs right? And I thought people were wondering why their post secondary educations were becoming less and less important and more and more expensive...Can you really wonder that now? People that can't even speak english or formulate a decent essay can have a phd because they've got money.
Jake.Demetrio
Profile Joined October 2010
United States35 Posts
November 17 2010 21:53 GMT
#42
That was great to read.
Zerg > Sex
Insanious
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada1251 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-17 21:57:21
November 17 2010 21:53 GMT
#43
On November 18 2010 06:40 L0CUST. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 18 2010 06:22 Insanious wrote:
But in the real world will I ever need to know how to calculate the Confidence interval of a statistic by hand, know how to find the NPV of some investment by hand? Hell no, I will use a computer program to do that... but knowing what a CI or NPV means will be important. Too bad we aren't tested on knowing what something means and are tested on how to find something useless.


Knowing what something means is worthless. Knowing how to apply that knowledge is useful. Knowing what the result of that application means is worth a decent salary. Figuring out better ways to solve complex problems is worth millions. Take your pick, I find everything college teaches to be over-hyped and meaningless. Reading and internships give a better education than the current system can achieve.

On the topic of the ghost writer's legitimacy, 20 pages of writing a day can't be that hard, especially considering the number of years he has been doing it.

My bad... what I meant then what "knowing how to figure out the CI of a statistic, something that SAS the leading statistic program currently used by the Canadian government can do in 1 click of a button is utterly worthless where knowing how that CI relates to the data in order to create a correct analysis = important"

how would I know... working for statistics Canada I NEVER have to do any calculations I learn in Stats 1 or Stats 2 in my work place... ever. Even though 100% of the questions on tests for Statis 1 and 2 are doing the calculations by hand. The theory behind the statics on the other hand I do use in my work place, how ever that is not tested upon in school.

Why? Because forumals = memorization = easy marking. Short/Long answer questions = thought = hard to mark.


Even simpler... In school I learn how to complete a formula but not how to analyze it. In work, I need to know how to analyze it and do not need to know how to complete the calculation.
- - - -

Btw to me... understanding something and being able to apply that knowledge is the same thing. If I understand how computer parts fit together, means I can build one. If I have simply memorized the parts that go into a computer, I cannot build one.
If you want to help me out... http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b82744b816d3
Scrapiron
Profile Joined August 2010
74 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-17 22:06:01
November 17 2010 22:00 GMT
#44
On November 18 2010 04:31 emythrel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 18 2010 04:27 CanucksJC wrote:
Im not surprised that something like this is happening...
I'd gladly pay someone a reasonable amount to have my exams written and im not even that rich.
universities are just too competitive and exhausting these days...


so you'd rather not earn your degree? thats more of a reflection on you than your uni.

You go to further education to learn and get a better job. If a lawyer had someone else write all their papers, how would they ever be able to do their job? Sorry, but your statement makes me think very badly of you, I have never cheated in my life and have never considered it an option. Not because "its wrong" but because I want to EARN my accolades so that i can feel proud of them.



I think you would be in the minority honestly. I am a 3rd year chemistry major and if I can pay someone to write all my papers for English/History/*insert course name that has nothing do with my degree here* I will probably do it.

Sorry, but a fictional writer from 500 years ago has absolutely nothing to do with me, or my future.
Marl
Profile Joined January 2010
United States694 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-17 22:14:30
November 17 2010 22:10 GMT
#45
I think the main things that add to cheating is general education and bad teachers.

I have to take around 90 units unrelated to my major to get a bachelors degree. Of those classes I don't think I gain anything significant from at least half of them. ATM I'm taking a literature analysis class that I just surf on my laptop every class and then turn in my homework that sparknotes aided me with at the end. I feel like if I paid attention I'd just be relearning everything I learned during high school. I spend maybe an hour looking over online notes for midterms which means I will probably get a B, but honestly if I got a C I'd be happy as I deserve an F for how much effort I used, but IMO I shouldn't have had to take the class in the first place.

On the other hand I'm taking a computer science course for my major that I spend probably 10 hours on the biweekly homework and maybe 2 hours studying for quizzes every week. In this class I'd also be happy with a C, not because I don't put in enough effort, but because the teacher is an awful lecturer and doesn't give help during labs. I feel like I'm having to teach myself and get a lot of my code from online, so why am I going to college again?
Arch00
Profile Joined July 2010
United States233 Posts
November 17 2010 22:14 GMT
#46
So if you're a professor, just have your students write a 2 page essay in class and see if it compares at all to what they've been handing in??
www.twitch.tv/arch00 ~ Arch.391 SC2
krazymunky
Profile Joined June 2008
United States727 Posts
November 17 2010 22:14 GMT
#47
On November 18 2010 04:23 shindigs wrote:
Thanks to krazymunky on tl who posted it on fb and i stole it lol


i actually stole it off another friend. i knew a couple of people who wrote papers for other people for money while in school. Im not sure if should blame the person who pays for the paper or the person who writes the essay for being unethical
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
zaldinfox
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada60 Posts
November 17 2010 22:20 GMT
#48
The guy in the article is a sad story. His claims about "contributing to research" in graduate studies is laughable and his boasts about writing 75 pages in two days go to show he has not understood what University or graduate studies is about. One word: "revision."

This guy churns out tons of crap that he proudly holds up as being "un-edited," when the whole point of research is that it be constantly looked over, reshaped, challenged, edited, and made into a valuable contribution.

I realize he is simply exposing the depth of corruption in the system, but he shows quite clearly that much of this extends from his unwillingness to learn the point of University. The process of writing papers, reading, and being challenged in lectures and seminars is the point.

What makes me sad is how on-board TLers are about cheating. You don't understand the irony that you are cheating yourself, as in the following:

I am a 3rd year chemistry major and if I can someone to write all my papers for English/History/*insert course name that has nothing do with my degree here* I will probably do it.


The point of taking English and History and other stuff is to compliment your degree so you aren't a specialist who has no exposure to other disciplines and ideas before you go sit in a lab all day.

Think of how we all react to 5 year-old kids who are pushed into beauty pageants and made to look inhuman. That is what your brain looks like without breadth.

Sorry, but a fictional writer from 500 years ago has absolutely nothing to do with me, or my future.


How sadly mistaken you are. Shakespeare (whom I am assuming you are referencing) shaped the very language you use to communicate. The Science majors think History, Anthro, Philosophy, Literature, Cultural Studies, and all the other Arts are a load of crap and a waste of time. But all studies of science and math find their roots in the Arts.

Chronological Snobbery is what the above quote is, plain and simple...
ohnoitschrishansen
Profile Joined November 2010
United States49 Posts
November 17 2010 22:28 GMT
#49
i see more economical solutions out there than this guy. some sites are as low as $49 for an entire paper! this should make my college experience an entertaining one.
Marl
Profile Joined January 2010
United States694 Posts
November 17 2010 22:36 GMT
#50
On November 18 2010 07:20 zaldinfox wrote:
Show nested quote +
Sorry, but a fictional writer from 500 years ago has absolutely nothing to do with me, or my future.


How sadly mistaken you are. Shakespeare (whom I am assuming you are referencing) shaped the very language you use to communicate. The Science majors think History, Anthro, Philosophy, Literature, Cultural Studies, and all the other Arts are a load of crap and a waste of time. But all studies of science and math find their roots in the Arts.

Chronological Snobbery is what the above quote is, plain and simple...


In my experience, most GE professors don't relate the material to outside its own area so it's hard to take the material seriously when you're not being taught how it relates to your field.
Jonoman92
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States9110 Posts
November 17 2010 22:38 GMT
#51
I don't really know how much to believe from that article.


A few hours after I had agreed to write the paper, I received the following e-mail: "sending sorces for ur to use thanx."

I did not reply immediately. One hour later, I received another message:

"did u get the sorce I send

please where you are now?

Desprit to pass spring projict"

That is so not a real quote from the student, no way.
Erk
Profile Joined June 2009
United States52 Posts
November 17 2010 22:39 GMT
#52
On November 18 2010 04:28 emythrel wrote:
Show nested quote +
[B]On November 18 2010 04:23 shindigs wrote: The interesting part to me is that this extends even to the levels of PhD thesises (thesi?)


I believe the plural is the same as the singular, i can't remember off the top of my head.

This stuff has been happening for years and years, friends doing homework for each other, scholars being paid to "correct" papers (they usually just re-write it for you) and directly stealing old papers.

Unfortunately, most adjudicators (the people who mark papers) don't have an opportunity to read other materials from the student and thus have no way to check whether the paper was written by the student or ghost written. It is the responsibility of the teacher to read over the papers and check they were written by the student, and when you have 50 students papers to read... thats hard to do.

I believe the plural is theses.
Marquise
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States50 Posts
November 17 2010 22:48 GMT
#53
This is really crazy. I'm about to head off to college with the intent to learn, and it really irks me that people are using university as a stepping stone that they can just pay their way through. The idea that some of the people we label as the most intelligent and well-educated could have gotten there illegitimately.
Erk
Profile Joined June 2009
United States52 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-17 22:54:06
November 17 2010 22:51 GMT
#54
On November 18 2010 07:20 zaldinfox wrote:
The guy in the article is a sad story. His claims about "contributing to research" in graduate studies is laughable and his boasts about writing 75 pages in two days go to show he has not understood what University or graduate studies is about. One word: "revision."

This guy churns out tons of crap that he proudly holds up as being "un-edited," when the whole point of research is that it be constantly looked over, reshaped, challenged, edited, and made into a valuable contribution.

I realize he is simply exposing the depth of corruption in the system, but he shows quite clearly that much of this extends from his unwillingness to learn the point of University. The process of writing papers, reading, and being challenged in lectures and seminars is the point.

What makes me sad is how on-board TLers are about cheating. You don't understand the irony that you are cheating yourself, as in the following:

Show nested quote +
I am a 3rd year chemistry major and if I can someone to write all my papers for English/History/*insert course name that has nothing do with my degree here* I will probably do it.


The point of taking English and History and other stuff is to compliment your degree so you aren't a specialist who has no exposure to other disciplines and ideas before you go sit in a lab all day.

Think of how we all react to 5 year-old kids who are pushed into beauty pageants and made to look inhuman. That is what your brain looks like without breadth.

Show nested quote +
Sorry, but a fictional writer from 500 years ago has absolutely nothing to do with me, or my future.


How sadly mistaken you are. Shakespeare (whom I am assuming you are referencing) shaped the very language you use to communicate. The Science majors think History, Anthro, Philosophy, Literature, Cultural Studies, and all the other Arts are a load of crap and a waste of time. But all studies of science and math find their roots in the Arts.

Chronological Snobbery is what the above quote is, plain and simple...


Breadth isn't the only thing a brain needs; a good brain needs more depth than breadth. The amount of knowledge one knows is bolstered from grade 1 to year 2 of college. This doesn't produce much respect from other intellectuals. Depth, which is built from year 3 of college and onwards is what sets apart people like Ben Carson from normal surgeons. I think the fact that place so much respect to these people who are supposedly "knowledgeable" in their respective fields is saddening.
Insanious
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada1251 Posts
November 17 2010 22:55 GMT
#55
On November 18 2010 07:38 Jonoman92 wrote:
I don't really know how much to believe from that article.

Show nested quote +

A few hours after I had agreed to write the paper, I received the following e-mail: "sending sorces for ur to use thanx."

I did not reply immediately. One hour later, I received another message:

"did u get the sorce I send

please where you are now?

Desprit to pass spring projict"

That is so not a real quote from the student, no way.

You would be suprised. Also he said most of the people he is talking about are either ESL, so english is very hard for them. Or they are just stupid and well english is hard for them too.
If you want to help me out... http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4b82744b816d3
krazymunky
Profile Joined June 2008
United States727 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-17 23:12:42
November 17 2010 23:11 GMT
#56
On November 18 2010 07:55 Insanious wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 18 2010 07:38 Jonoman92 wrote:
I don't really know how much to believe from that article.


A few hours after I had agreed to write the paper, I received the following e-mail: "sending sorces for ur to use thanx."

I did not reply immediately. One hour later, I received another message:

"did u get the sorce I send

please where you are now?

Desprit to pass spring projict"

That is so not a real quote from the student, no way.

You would be suprised. Also he said most of the people he is talking about are either ESL, so english is very hard for them. Or they are just stupid and well english is hard for them too.


yeah either they're ESL or just someone typing really quickly.
I have friends who cannot spell for their lives when they type quickly or chat on AIM/MSN.
and since its not to the professor I dont think they're going to pay attention to the correct spelling or grammar in their letters.

I agree that taking breadth classes makes your learning diverse,but as a recent graduate, I do not think any of my electives/GEs helped me at all (except for grade boosting lol)
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
LunarC
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States1186 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-17 23:18:25
November 17 2010 23:11 GMT
#57
How convenient it is to blame "the system". It's equal parts education's shortcomings and the students' shortcomings.

In my opinion, it's all of culture itself that makes important things that are not a part of education.
REEBUH!!!
Yurie
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
12173 Posts
November 17 2010 23:18 GMT
#58
It doesn't seem like a that hard job once you have done it a few years. You should have the general knowledge of the most common courses by that point. It actually seems like a fun job, something I would probably like to work as. Ethically it is wrong and I wouldn't buy the service since I want to learn the things myself, but as a job it seems like it would suit my tastes.
Lil.Sassy
Profile Joined November 2010
United States54 Posts
November 17 2010 23:21 GMT
#59
On November 18 2010 05:01 Amber[LighT] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 18 2010 04:59 orgolove wrote:
eh, I bet I can do this shit too, but 66k a year isn't much. -_-

It's enough to live off of for doing little work.

I can't believe people are so lazy that they can't even write their own essays.


I find it really hard to believe that you've never felt like just not writing a paper and doing something more useful with your time (like starcraft duhhh)
Ughghghg
FrozenFlare
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia103 Posts
November 17 2010 23:26 GMT
#60
This was a great read, whoever this academic hitman is, what a legend!
Remember you are unique, just like everyone else.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 15m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 519
UpATreeSC 101
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1009
Dewaltoss 124
firebathero 86
Zeus 68
Trap 41
910 40
Bale 26
ToSsGirL 22
NaDa 20
JYJ 16
[ Show more ]
Shine 15
Dota 2
Gorgc6477
420jenkins260
monkeys_forever2
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1422
edward105
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS145
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu2081
Other Games
summit1g5171
Grubby2916
Beastyqt661
B2W.Neo658
byalli406
shahzam370
KnowMe172
TKL 142
C9.Mang0130
Railgan18
Chillindude15
ToD2
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV267
BasetradeTV218
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream110
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 11
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur325
• WagamamaTV274
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
4h 15m
Kung Fu Cup
15h 15m
Stellar Fest
17h 15m
The PondCast
1d 14h
OSC
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.