• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:24
CEST 10:24
KST 17:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon106
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] 2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8429 users

! [G] TvP Building palcement vs Zealots - Page 6

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next All
Fury_InCa
Profile Joined July 2007
United States21 Posts
January 08 2008 03:57 GMT
#101
i wonder, could u press hold in middle of bunker/supply where marine could shoot at zealot, not move, and zealot couldnt reach it?
YinYang69
Profile Joined July 2007
United States255 Posts
January 08 2008 04:12 GMT
#102
This is an awesome thread. I've seen it done in pro vods and the few times I try it my marines spazz out. Thanks for the easy guide and pics.
Keep it simple stupid.
Pressure
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
7326 Posts
January 08 2008 04:21 GMT
#103
i think zealot would reach it if he was in there
skyglow1
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
New Zealand3962 Posts
January 08 2008 04:24 GMT
#104
On January 08 2008 12:57 Fury_InCa wrote:
i wonder, could u press hold in middle of bunker/supply where marine could shoot at zealot, not move, and zealot couldnt reach it?


yes you can but, it's really hard to fit it in there just right. The moment you do and he figures what's going on, he can just move away and attack an scv, forcing you out of your little gap, and you'll have trouble trying to fit back in it again. It is better to just move back and forth between the gap as needed.
Qatol
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States3165 Posts
January 08 2008 04:31 GMT
#105
I tried a few extra positions not in the images skyglow posted using the rax and the CC. Rax above the CC and in 3 of the corners does not work, but putting the rax below and to the right of the CC (right below where the comsat would go) also works.
Also, I was under the impression that you could only put a rine in between the CC and Rax and not have the zealot able to attack your rine. It is possible just using a bunker/supply?
Uff Da
skyglow1
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
New Zealand3962 Posts
January 08 2008 04:43 GMT
#106
On January 08 2008 13:31 Qatol wrote:
I tried a few extra positions not in the images skyglow posted using the rax and the CC. Rax above the CC and in 3 of the corners does not work, but putting the rax below and to the right of the CC (right below where the comsat would go) also works.
Also, I was under the impression that you could only put a rine in between the CC and Rax and not have the zealot able to attack your rine. It is possible just using a bunker/supply?


I didn't do the corners cause I generally like things being like beside each other when the buildings are the same size

Yes it is possible with rax and supply (I think that's what you mean instead of bunker), but for some reason you cannot do it on a map like luna, but it does work on jungle tileset (like python).
Ilikestarcraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Korea (South)17743 Posts
January 08 2008 06:04 GMT
#107
Do you mean only rax sup doesnt work on luna or all the setups?
ils
"Nana is a goddess. Or at very least, Nana is my goddess." - KazeHydra
skyglow1
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
New Zealand3962 Posts
January 08 2008 06:08 GMT
#108
Only rax and supply, and I really don't feel like testing all the other setups
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
January 08 2008 14:57 GMT
#109
Do you honestly think this is anything more than a cute tip for one in a thousand situations? Would you modify your play style after finding this out? I suppose the idea is that you need fewer Marines before starting your tech, but if you are doing Gundam or FD you have a surplus of minerals which are spent on Marines anyways... I don't see how this changes TvP at all other than some sort of Marineless build (1 Fact 1 Port or some Siege first expand).

I just reread that and the tone makes me come off like a dick. I'm trying to get across that I don't understand TvP very much, but I don't think this affects anything. If I played Terran I wouldn't alter anything after finding this out.
Moderator
RaGe
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Belgium9950 Posts
January 08 2008 15:14 GMT
#110
On January 08 2008 23:57 Chill wrote:
Do you honestly think this is anything more than a cute tip for one in a thousand situations? Would you modify your play style after finding this out? I suppose the idea is that you need fewer Marines before starting your tech, but if you are doing Gundam or FD you have a surplus of minerals which are spent on Marines anyways... I don't see how this changes TvP at all other than some sort of Marineless build (1 Fact 1 Port or some Siege first expand).

I just reread that and the tone makes me come off like a dick. I'm trying to get across that I don't understand TvP very much, but I don't think this affects anything. If I played Terran I wouldn't alter anything after finding this out.

Well, Chill, FD Terran includes a 11 (or 12) rax/gas and factory before 2nd depot. Eventhough you'll make ~4 rines to go with your first tank, those 4 rines will be somewhat late. A quick zealot-first build can often delay FD. Eventhough I have to agree some of the setups in this thread are over the top (hey if you're gonna build 2depots and a barracks 3 squares away from your cc you might as well wall), the CC-Rax positioning is pretty damn common and can come in handy
Moderatorsometimes I get intimidated by the size of my right testicle
wifebeater
Profile Joined January 2008
178 Posts
January 08 2008 17:57 GMT
#111
Nice!
Villain Terran~~~~~~~~~~
Tiamat
Profile Joined February 2003
United States498 Posts
January 08 2008 19:32 GMT
#112
What about lings?

lings and marines are the same size correct?
skyglow1
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
New Zealand3962 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-01-08 19:50:46
January 08 2008 19:44 GMT
#113
On January 08 2008 23:57 Chill wrote:
Do you honestly think this is anything more than a cute tip for one in a thousand situations? Would you modify your play style after finding this out? I suppose the idea is that you need fewer Marines before starting your tech, but if you are doing Gundam or FD you have a surplus of minerals which are spent on Marines anyways... I don't see how this changes TvP at all other than some sort of Marineless build (1 Fact 1 Port or some Siege first expand).

I just reread that and the tone makes me come off like a dick. I'm trying to get across that I don't understand TvP very much, but I don't think this affects anything. If I played Terran I wouldn't alter anything after finding this out.


Erm for example on ICCup I end up finding this setup VERY useful in nearly half of my TvP games seeing as many tosses will send 2 or more zealots before making goons.

Not only do you need less marines before starting tech, you defend so much better with the marines you have against the first couple of zealots. If you have solid micro, your defense is pretty much perfect and you will not suffer any losses (except for maybe a little slowdown to your build order if he attacks the scv building the fact). You don't even need to pull any scvs to defend unless you see there's more zealots coming and you want to hold your ramp.

And anyway, the point isn't to alter your playstyle or build order. It's to do something useful with your intial buildings which helps you immensly vs a zealot rush. There's no concrete reason not to do it, and when you do it, it helps so much.

Also, this isn't some random theorycraft I'm just throwing out there. I've used this in every one of my TvP games, and it's proven itself to be a valuable tool in early game. I don't "think this is anything more than a cute tip for one in a thousand situations", I know it is more than that, at least for me it is, and I'm sure many other terran players.

It was in the old recommended threads section but if you don't want to put it for the people to see in the new recommended threads then fine.
skyglow1
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
New Zealand3962 Posts
January 08 2008 19:49 GMT
#114
On January 09 2008 04:32 Tiamat wrote:
What about lings?

lings and marines are the same size correct?


Lings will go through the gaps that marines can go through. This doesn't mean all the positions that have a cross beside them will stop lings. Some of them have crosses because they let both rines and zealots through (and thus also lings).
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
January 08 2008 20:14 GMT
#115
On January 09 2008 04:44 skyglow1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2008 23:57 Chill wrote:
Do you honestly think this is anything more than a cute tip for one in a thousand situations? Would you modify your play style after finding this out? I suppose the idea is that you need fewer Marines before starting your tech, but if you are doing Gundam or FD you have a surplus of minerals which are spent on Marines anyways... I don't see how this changes TvP at all other than some sort of Marineless build (1 Fact 1 Port or some Siege first expand).

I just reread that and the tone makes me come off like a dick. I'm trying to get across that I don't understand TvP very much, but I don't think this affects anything. If I played Terran I wouldn't alter anything after finding this out.


Erm for example on ICCup I end up finding this setup VERY useful in nearly half of my TvP games seeing as many tosses will send 2 or more zealots before making goons.

Not only do you need less marines before starting tech, you defend so much better with the marines you have against the first couple of zealots. If you have solid micro, your defense is pretty much perfect and you will not suffer any losses (except for maybe a little slowdown to your build order if he attacks the scv building the fact). You don't even need to pull any scvs to defend unless you see there's more zealots coming and you want to hold your ramp.

And anyway, the point isn't to alter your playstyle or build order. It's to do something useful with your intial buildings which helps you immensly vs a zealot rush. There's no concrete reason not to do it, and when you do it, it helps so much.

Also, this isn't some random theorycraft I'm just throwing out there. I've used this in every one of my TvP games, and it's proven itself to be a valuable tool in early game. I don't "think this is anything more than a cute tip for one in a thousand situations", I know it is more than that, at least for me it is, and I'm sure many other terran players.

It was in the old recommended threads section but if you don't want to put it for the people to see in the new recommended threads then fine.


What's wrong with walling? I'm trying to get to the theory of why you would ever do this. What advantages does this afford that a single Marine and a wall don't? It seems overcomplicated - you can't leave your Marine on hold position because of it's low range, so you're going to end up using a ton of micro anyways.
Moderator
skyglow1
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
New Zealand3962 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-01-08 20:42:10
January 08 2008 20:32 GMT
#116
On January 09 2008 05:14 Chill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 09 2008 04:44 skyglow1 wrote:
On January 08 2008 23:57 Chill wrote:
Do you honestly think this is anything more than a cute tip for one in a thousand situations? Would you modify your play style after finding this out? I suppose the idea is that you need fewer Marines before starting your tech, but if you are doing Gundam or FD you have a surplus of minerals which are spent on Marines anyways... I don't see how this changes TvP at all other than some sort of Marineless build (1 Fact 1 Port or some Siege first expand).

I just reread that and the tone makes me come off like a dick. I'm trying to get across that I don't understand TvP very much, but I don't think this affects anything. If I played Terran I wouldn't alter anything after finding this out.


Erm for example on ICCup I end up finding this setup VERY useful in nearly half of my TvP games seeing as many tosses will send 2 or more zealots before making goons.

Not only do you need less marines before starting tech, you defend so much better with the marines you have against the first couple of zealots. If you have solid micro, your defense is pretty much perfect and you will not suffer any losses (except for maybe a little slowdown to your build order if he attacks the scv building the fact). You don't even need to pull any scvs to defend unless you see there's more zealots coming and you want to hold your ramp.

And anyway, the point isn't to alter your playstyle or build order. It's to do something useful with your intial buildings which helps you immensly vs a zealot rush. There's no concrete reason not to do it, and when you do it, it helps so much.

Also, this isn't some random theorycraft I'm just throwing out there. I've used this in every one of my TvP games, and it's proven itself to be a valuable tool in early game. I don't "think this is anything more than a cute tip for one in a thousand situations", I know it is more than that, at least for me it is, and I'm sure many other terran players.

It was in the old recommended threads section but if you don't want to put it for the people to see in the new recommended threads then fine.


What's wrong with walling? I'm trying to get to the theory of why you would ever do this. What advantages does this afford that a single Marine and a wall don't? It seems overcomplicated - you can't leave your Marine on hold position because of it's low range, so you're going to end up using a ton of micro anyways.


The buildings are much closer to your scvs than if you built a wall, speeding up your build. You also won't have any annoyances with a toss who tries to mess with your wall by sitting around where the last supply is meant to go or whatever. You'll also waste less mining time if you need to fend off the probe thats harassing your building scv.

If you compare doing this setup to just normal placements of buildings (not wall), then with the normal placement you'll need to be pulling scvs and microing them too. With thsi setup you can just micro the rines and that will pretty much be enough.
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
January 08 2008 20:55 GMT
#117
I still feel the advantages are too few. Instead of running the Marine like normal, you're going to be... running the Marine out of his hole and then retreating back. Meanwhile he has free reign of targetting SCVs, especially the Factory SCV. If you further alter your build to place the Factory quite close to your Comman Center, it's now in a non-ideal position in terms of a late-game Factory setup, as shown in your screen shots. Obviously you could lift it and float it to a better spot, but if you do that you've just forfeited the small timing advantage that you sought to gain from this entire thing to start with.

Regardless I put it in the recommended threads to let people decide for themselves. Knowing which setups are Zealot-proof is necessary for making walls on the fly anyways.
Moderator
NoDDiE
Profile Joined November 2006
Poland170 Posts
January 08 2008 21:16 GMT
#118
lol chill. skyglow is absolutelly right
not all maps let u make wall , and only a few are viable for 1 depo 1 rax wall - so "make wall" isn't something always available

about running with marine - the advantage is HUGE compared with price (nothing?). you need to build depo so it doesn't matter where it is - and 1 depo near cc won't really mess ur base (if its rax just lift off) and you gain ability to return fire with rine. without depo//rax help in 1v1 marine vs zeal toss is "the boss" he chooses what to do - chase rine , attack scv or retreat. and usually t doesn't have the option to strike back (unless p goes for scv's). and with this t can force p to attack scv's or escape (or zeal will die after time if he keeps going after marine which strikes back)so T is "the boss" now.
it may sound as minor issue , but in the beggining of tvp 1 zealot can REALLY annoy t and with this "trick" you gain psychological advantage too XD (forcing 1 zeal to retreat with just 1 rine without scv help is priceless).

also i have question regarding the first situation with cc and depo - does it have to be in exact positon , or can it be 1 block (up down), and are there any other options involing cc+building?

and btw good post
One for the money , two for the show , straight to hell is where i go
naventus
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
United States1339 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-01-08 21:41:24
January 08 2008 21:41 GMT
#119
Seems to me that any P intent on sending zeals to your base early will be harassing a wall aggressively (pyloning etc).

The problem with this though is that with just a bit of lag, it's really difficult - and it's very tricky if too many zeals get in your base (maybe then throw down a bunker?).

Note though that I use this almost exclusively and rarely wall.
hmm.
skyglow1
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
New Zealand3962 Posts
January 08 2008 22:05 GMT
#120
On January 09 2008 05:55 Chill wrote:
I still feel the advantages are too few. Instead of running the Marine like normal, you're going to be... running the Marine out of his hole and then retreating back. Meanwhile he has free reign of targetting SCVs, especially the Factory SCV. If you further alter your build to place the Factory quite close to your Comman Center, it's now in a non-ideal position in terms of a late-game Factory setup, as shown in your screen shots. Obviously you could lift it and float it to a better spot, but if you do that you've just forfeited the small timing advantage that you sought to gain from this entire thing to start with.

Regardless I put it in the recommended threads to let people decide for themselves. Knowing which setups are Zealot-proof is necessary for making walls on the fly anyways.


Well the only thing you'll have to really actively micro is the marine, compared to having to pull scvs if you didn't do the setup, and this is advantageous.

He doesn't ahve free reign on the factory scv. If he tries to attack it, you attack his zealot. The moment he goes for your zealot, you move towards the gap. If he goes back for the scv again, you can reactly quickly adn resume shooting at him. If your factory is scv is about to die, you can replace it very quickly since the factory is close.

The first factory I'll admit is in a somewhat awkward position. However, that doesn't mean you need to place the next factories beside it and end up with a poor placement. Just place your next few factories in the ideal spot. 1 factory in a strange spot isn't going to affect you much, if at all. And no you'd never lift because that's just not a smart thing to do.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 37m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 201
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1027
Bisu 349
HiyA 130
hero 81
Mong 47
Shine 38
Bale 29
NotJumperer 24
sorry 24
Terrorterran 12
[ Show more ]
Killer 10
Noble 8
Sharp 6
Dota 2
febbydoto1
League of Legends
JimRising 504
Counter-Strike
ceh9539
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft779
crisheroes427
Other Games
summit1g8990
olofmeister943
PiGStarcraft347
Livibee149
ArmadaUGS36
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream579
Other Games
gamesdonequick510
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH322
• LUISG 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2394
League of Legends
• Rush1292
• Lourlo1086
• Jankos918
• Stunt462
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 37m
Afreeca Starleague
1h 37m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
15h 37m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 2h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.