• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:03
CEST 10:03
KST 17:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Dating: How's your luck? Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8271 users

Simple Questions, Simple Answers - Page 24

Forum Index > Brood War Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 488 Next
jello_biafra
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
United Kingdom6642 Posts
July 31 2011 17:34 GMT
#461
On August 01 2011 02:05 JPoPP wrote:
will the iccup scbw download allow me to play offline I won't be having internet for about a month so I'm hoping to dl it for something to do during that time.

Yes, but not the campaign, use single player custom games or just go into LAN and create games and put computers in.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions | aka Probert[PaiN] @ iccup / godlikeparagon @ twitch | my BW stream: http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/jello_biafra
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
August 02 2011 01:31 GMT
#462
Do people actually use SVs in TvZ when going mech in the midgame?
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
jello_biafra
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
United Kingdom6642 Posts
August 02 2011 16:21 GMT
#463
On August 02 2011 10:31 Peterblue wrote:
Do people actually use SVs in TvZ when going mech in the midgame?

Well you need a starport and science facility to continue your upgrades beyond 1-1 so it's not difficult to make a vessel midgame, I'd recommend getting them early if they go lurkers or for the mass muta, multiple irradiates helps to tame the muta clump very quickly.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions | aka Probert[PaiN] @ iccup / godlikeparagon @ twitch | my BW stream: http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/jello_biafra
ThePianoDentist
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom698 Posts
August 02 2011 23:32 GMT
#464
i just wondered if any protoss players could tell me roughly how many gateways each base will support...as i tend to have been adding gateways just by feel and it'll end up with some times i have an excessive amount....other times i dont have enough and get crushed at that moment as i cant reinforce well.

Brood War Protoss, SC2 Terran/Protoss
TheGlassface
Profile Joined November 2010
United States612 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-03 00:20:04
August 03 2011 00:19 GMT
#465
On August 03 2011 08:32 ThePianoDentist wrote:
i just wondered if any protoss players could tell me roughly how many gateways each base will support...as i tend to have been adding gateways just by feel and it'll end up with some times i have an excessive amount....other times i dont have enough and get crushed at that moment as i cant reinforce well.



Generally two per base,but you can get away with 3 at the lower levels.
Barring anything awkward with your opponent's factory/hatch&drone count, etc.
The mystery of life is not a problem to solve, but a reality to experience. **Hang in there STX fans!! Kal Hwaiting!**
JMave
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Singapore1806 Posts
August 03 2011 01:29 GMT
#466
On August 03 2011 08:32 ThePianoDentist wrote:
i just wondered if any protoss players could tell me roughly how many gateways each base will support...as i tend to have been adding gateways just by feel and it'll end up with some times i have an excessive amount....other times i dont have enough and get crushed at that moment as i cant reinforce well.


during your army build up phase before you reach a supply cap, normally 3 gateways per base is recommended if you have good macro. don't be hesitant to add more if you don't have good macro. once you max out and expand to a 4th base, you can add more than 3 per base. this is to ensure that you can quickly replace your army after a battle to fully make use of your econ advantage.
火心 Jealous. I always loved that feeling when I was young. Embrace it.
ThePianoDentist
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom698 Posts
August 03 2011 02:22 GMT
#467
thanks for the replies. i'll try out 3 gates per base (then maybe add 6 after i get my 4th ) and see how it works out. if it doesnt at least it gives me a starting point to which i can just tweak.
Brood War Protoss, SC2 Terran/Protoss
TheNessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States4158 Posts
August 03 2011 07:00 GMT
#468
what is an effective way of re doing all your rally points, especially as zerg? like if i have 5 hatches, with only some hotkeyed, what is the fastest way of rallying them all to my opponents base?
~~! youtube.com/xmungam1 !~~
jello_biafra
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
United Kingdom6642 Posts
August 03 2011 15:14 GMT
#469
On August 03 2011 16:00 TheNessman wrote:
what is an effective way of re doing all your rally points, especially as zerg? like if i have 5 hatches, with only some hotkeyed, what is the fastest way of rallying them all to my opponents base?

There are a few options, quickly hotkey them all just for the purpose of re-rallying then all, then quickly change your hotkeys back, set the rallys of the hotkeyed ones then manually go round the others setting them using the minimap or you can use F# location points (one for your hatches and one for the rally location) as GoRush does in this video. (starting ~34s)

The road to hell is paved with good intentions | aka Probert[PaiN] @ iccup / godlikeparagon @ twitch | my BW stream: http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/jello_biafra
hacklebeast
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5090 Posts
August 03 2011 15:22 GMT
#470
Depending on the situation, I either hotkey all of my buildings then 0-click-9-click... or I will just right click on the mini map. Just remember it is easy to misrally using the second one, so watch for a bad rally point as the units move.
Protoss: Best, Paralyze, Jangbi, Nal_Ra || Terran: Oov, Boxer, Fantasy, Hiya|| Zerg: Yellow, Zero
TheGlassface
Profile Joined November 2010
United States612 Posts
August 03 2011 16:26 GMT
#471
As a Protoss player, but this applies to my offracing as Zerg as well.

I'm looking to expand my play from the standard builds and work towards being able to cheese, all-in, and perform non-optimal builds (I got caught with my pants down)

I understand a lot of this is patience and learning over time but one thing I am having issues with is the all-in. Or what are some good, "all-in" builds?

How does one do it, exactly? Sometimes, I feel like I've done a good job of putting some damage to the opponent and want to put the one-two punch and seal the deal but I find myself having a problem here. By the time I cut probes, make units and decide to move out...it feels like I'm not hitting my opportunity correctly.
Obviously, reps would help but I'm unable to do so at this time. I'm just looking for how is the best way to go about it, or the mindset. Do I drop more gates? Do I need to just push units out? How do I know how many gates I can sustain off one base/two base without probe production? What's the mindset, aside from "this has to work!" When do you move out, etc, etc, etc?
The mystery of life is not a problem to solve, but a reality to experience. **Hang in there STX fans!! Kal Hwaiting!**
Mottz
Profile Joined September 2010
Portugal101 Posts
August 03 2011 17:36 GMT
#472
On August 04 2011 01:26 TheGlassface wrote:
As a Protoss player, but this applies to my offracing as Zerg as well.

I'm looking to expand my play from the standard builds and work towards being able to cheese, all-in, and perform non-optimal builds (I got caught with my pants down)

I understand a lot of this is patience and learning over time but one thing I am having issues with is the all-in. Or what are some good, "all-in" builds?

How does one do it, exactly? Sometimes, I feel like I've done a good job of putting some damage to the opponent and want to put the one-two punch and seal the deal but I find myself having a problem here. By the time I cut probes, make units and decide to move out...it feels like I'm not hitting my opportunity correctly.
Obviously, reps would help but I'm unable to do so at this time. I'm just looking for how is the best way to go about it, or the mindset. Do I drop more gates? Do I need to just push units out? How do I know how many gates I can sustain off one base/two base without probe production? What's the mindset, aside from "this has to work!" When do you move out, etc, etc, etc?

If its an All in theres no other mindset, other than "this has to work!", i didnt understand if you are talking about timing attacks or all ins.

All ins you got the proxy DT rushs, the proxy gates, 4 gate goon on PvP, etc, as zerg you got alot, 2 hatch muta against FFE ZvP, hydra bust, flooding speedlings if you see some weakness on his wall in.

Afaik theres no real database of all the all ins and cheeses you can perform, you watch some reps and go from there.

Im on a similar situation as you regarding my PvP, i feel i would be a better PvPer if i knew how to execute some of the proxy gating action correctly, not to do it every game but just to have that card up my sleeve.
Release
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4397 Posts
August 03 2011 17:39 GMT
#473
Why do archons sometimes switch targets mid attack?
Also, i don't think this was answered: How does tank splash scale with upgrades?
☺
Bwenjarin Raffrack
Profile Joined November 2008
United States322 Posts
August 03 2011 17:46 GMT
#474
On August 04 2011 02:39 Release wrote:
Why do archons sometimes switch targets mid attack?

Happens when the original target dies, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, i don't think this was answered: How does tank splash scale with upgrades?

I answered in the post right above yours the last time you asked.

On July 15 2011 15:58 Bwenjarin Raffrack wrote:
Yes, this is one of the main reasons why Terran's mech upgrades are so powerful, but I'd like to clarify that the upgrades are scaled as well. For example, the 100% | 50% | 25% splash damages for a 0-0 siege tank would be 70/35/17.5. For a 2-1 siege tank, the damages would be 80/40/20.
I'm not as thunk as dreople pink I am.
Release
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4397 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-03 18:00:06
August 03 2011 17:59 GMT
#475
On August 04 2011 02:46 Bwenjarin Raffrack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2011 02:39 Release wrote:
Why do archons sometimes switch targets mid attack?

Happens when the original target dies, if I'm not mistaken.

Show nested quote +
Also, i don't think this was answered: How does tank splash scale with upgrades?

I answered in the post right above yours the last time you asked.

Show nested quote +
On July 15 2011 15:58 Bwenjarin Raffrack wrote:
Yes, this is one of the main reasons why Terran's mech upgrades are so powerful, but I'd like to clarify that the upgrades are scaled as well. For example, the 100% | 50% | 25% splash damages for a 0-0 siege tank would be 70/35/17.5. For a 2-1 siege tank, the damages would be 80/40/20.

but someone else said it was direct upgrades like +5 to everything like 75/40/22.5 last time.
☺
TheGlassface
Profile Joined November 2010
United States612 Posts
August 03 2011 18:07 GMT
#476
On August 04 2011 02:36 Mottz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2011 01:26 TheGlassface wrote:
As a Protoss player, but this applies to my offracing as Zerg as well.

I'm looking to expand my play from the standard builds and work towards being able to cheese, all-in, and perform non-optimal builds (I got caught with my pants down)

I understand a lot of this is patience and learning over time but one thing I am having issues with is the all-in. Or what are some good, "all-in" builds?

How does one do it, exactly? Sometimes, I feel like I've done a good job of putting some damage to the opponent and want to put the one-two punch and seal the deal but I find myself having a problem here. By the time I cut probes, make units and decide to move out...it feels like I'm not hitting my opportunity correctly.
Obviously, reps would help but I'm unable to do so at this time. I'm just looking for how is the best way to go about it, or the mindset. Do I drop more gates? Do I need to just push units out? How do I know how many gates I can sustain off one base/two base without probe production? What's the mindset, aside from "this has to work!" When do you move out, etc, etc, etc?

If its an All in theres no other mindset, other than "this has to work!", i didnt understand if you are talking about timing attacks or all ins.

All ins you got the proxy DT rushs, the proxy gates, 4 gate goon on PvP, etc, as zerg you got alot, 2 hatch muta against FFE ZvP, hydra bust, flooding speedlings if you see some weakness on his wall in.

Afaik theres no real database of all the all ins and cheeses you can perform, you watch some reps and go from there.

Im on a similar situation as you regarding my PvP, i feel i would be a better PvPer if i knew how to execute some of the proxy gating action correctly, not to do it every game but just to have that card up my sleeve.


I suppose I mean...like, ok...you blow through a terran push but while you do so, vultures come in and clear out a huge chunk of the min line. You've got 3 gates, 2 bases. Now, you have a small army, he has none and you're looking to just stick with the probes you have, pump units and go for the throat.

Or, you fend off a hydra push, cannons and original gateway are down. Swap over to 5 gate goon, go go go. Is that even viable? Is it worth a shot?

I notice, at my level (d) I can usually get away with proxy-in base with my original 8 probe. I find if you leave them alone, they leave you alone most of the time. Against Zerg I like to fake a FFE, cannon up and instead of a nex, place two gates in the base and rush with the first 2 zealots to min line, adding cannons for support and "all-inning" from there

The mystery of life is not a problem to solve, but a reality to experience. **Hang in there STX fans!! Kal Hwaiting!**
TheGlassface
Profile Joined November 2010
United States612 Posts
August 03 2011 20:44 GMT
#477
One more question.

What is as of current date the best way to stream using Windows7?

I've tried Xsplit, with 0 luck. I get a blank screen on Justin.Tv when I do.
I've tried camtasia, but you need a separate program for that, yes?
Just wondering, as I'd really like to add more BW to the community but have been unsuccessful thus far.
The mystery of life is not a problem to solve, but a reality to experience. **Hang in there STX fans!! Kal Hwaiting!**
ZeroChrome
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada1001 Posts
August 03 2011 22:47 GMT
#478
I haven't had any problems with Xsplit. You are streaming in windowed mode right? I don't think fullscreen works.
Forward
TheGlassface
Profile Joined November 2010
United States612 Posts
August 04 2011 01:53 GMT
#479
Ah...lol, found the issue.
Thanks ZeroChrome!
The mystery of life is not a problem to solve, but a reality to experience. **Hang in there STX fans!! Kal Hwaiting!**
NationInArms
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States1553 Posts
August 04 2011 06:00 GMT
#480
Do you think that it would be possible and be a good idea for Protoss players to use arbiters' ability of stasis to shut down mining? Example: Fully charged arbiter goes to terran base, stasis' all of the scvs, goes away. This would shut down mining for a period of time and I think that it would also block other scvs from mining (not sure about this part).
BW for life | Fantasy, MMA, SlayerS_Boxer | Taengoo! n_n | "Lelouch vi Britannia commands you! Obey me, subjects! OBEY ME, WORLD!" | <3 Emi
Prev 1 22 23 24 25 26 488 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 58m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 576
Hyun 45
NotJumperer 43
Killer 36
Bale 33
scan(afreeca) 21
ajuk12(nOOB) 16
Larva 15
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto144
League of Legends
JimRising 477
Counter-Strike
ceh9539
edward50
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King103
Other Games
summit1g8450
olofmeister762
Coldzera 702
Happy271
Sick152
ViBE21
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick558
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2287
League of Legends
• Jankos846
• Stunt369
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
1h 58m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2h 58m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
15h 58m
Patches Events
1d 7h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.