• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:38
CEST 13:38
KST 20:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202617Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released ASL22 General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10422 users

Training Excercise for Starcraft

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
BlueIris
Profile Joined November 2006
Korea (South)107 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-09 10:47:14
July 09 2007 10:26 GMT
#1
_______________________________________________________________________

When I was really horrible at starcraft
--> Losing in every single public game, I was given a practice exercise that drastically improved my macro and apm.

--------------------------------------------------------
The conditions for the practice was:

-- Minerals below 300 (unless saving up for expansion or mass units i.e. mutalisks)

-- APM over 300

--------------------------------------------------------

Basically, there were only two conditions, and it would normally be practice against a computer. Throughout the entire game, you had to maintain both your money and apm. For about a week and a half, all I did was practice this exercise against a computer and I remember one thing. It felt like the dumbest waste of time in the world. It was boring and irritating because at first, it was hard enough just to reach 300 apm and even harder to maintain such a low money count. I lost against computers. I felt like a horrible player, but I continued this exercise with the enthusiasm provided by my friend.

My only goal was to spam and make units. Micro was out of the question (for me at that time). For two hours a day, for a week and a half, I woke up at 6 and played till 8. I held myself back from playing on the internet. My only opponent was the computer.

After about the first week, the exercise became easy and I began to incorporate micro and other aspects than simply speed and macro.

By the end of the week and a half, those restrictions were gone and I was able to play on the internet. The first thing I noticed was that my once 100 apm became 250+ without even trying. I was getting compliments from my friends that I played like a pro. That was just my speed.

My macro was incredible, and without the psychological burden of having to follow the conditions, I was able to play calmly. Rather than only focusing on macro; micro, macro, apm, all came in less than two weeks.

*(Before this exercise, I had great micro with alot of the starcraft units, but because of this, my macro was horrible for my screen would only focus on the units that I was so carefully controlling)

Sure, I didn't know all the ins and outs of stacraft, but I was playing great. The moment I came back on the internet, I played 10 pubs and won every single one of them. I beat the players who I couldn't beat before and somehow, I felt like the training was actually worth it.

Maybe it was just my personal potential or the effectiveness of this practice, but I felt that I would like to share this exercise with the TL-Net Community. In my incredibly long "career" in starcraft, those 2 weeks always stayed in my memory.

In reality, I was playing against a computer. However, I believe that with this exercise, I was actually playing against myself and in essence, teaching myself.

If you feel the need to dismiss this topic, feel free to do so. I am simply providing a summary of what I had to do in order to be at the level I am at now. Feel free to ask any questions


-BlueIris


Play like your first, Train like your second
garoth
Profile Joined July 2007
United States51 Posts
July 09 2007 10:30 GMT
#2
heres a questions what program to you use to keep count of your apm because i could use something like that
AcrossFiveJulys
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
United States3612 Posts
July 09 2007 10:36 GMT
#3
That's cool. I guess it's a good way to increase your speed and non-strategy aspects of the game. Maybe some others should try it and report their results.
Pressure
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
7326 Posts
July 09 2007 10:39 GMT
#4
well everyone wants to maintain a low money count and APM, but what program did you use to monitor this?
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
July 09 2007 10:39 GMT
#5
On July 09 2007 19:30 garoth wrote:
heres a questions what program to you use to keep count of your apm because i could use something like that

http://www.bwchart.com
or if you mean realtime, I think this topic deals with that:

http://teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=55711

As for the first post of this thread, interesting topic, I don't think I could EVER force myself to play vs a computer tho.. I used to want higher apm for a while when BWChart came out so I was spamming every game until I was playing at a natural 200 apm when I stopped spamming, a little bit similiar I guess.
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
BlueIris
Profile Joined November 2006
Korea (South)107 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-09 10:44:58
July 09 2007 10:42 GMT
#6
On July 09 2007 19:39 Pressure wrote:
well everyone wants to maintain a low money count and APM, but what program did you use to monitor this?


At the time, bwlauncher was still available. I used it to monitor my apm. Monitoring my mineral and gas count is simply at the top right corner of your screen.

On July 09 2007 19:39 FrozenArbiter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 09 2007 19:30 garoth wrote:
heres a questions what program to you use to keep count of your apm because i could use something like that

http://www.bwchart.com
or if you mean realtime, I think this topic deals with that:

http://teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=55711

As for the first post of this thread, interesting topic, I don't think I could EVER force myself to play vs a computer tho.. I used to want higher apm for a while when BWChart came out so I was spamming every game until I was playing at a natural 200 apm when I stopped spamming, a little bit similiar I guess.


Haha I guess i was just desperate at that time to get better, because the person who introduced me to the exercise had done the same exercise and she was an incredibly good player. But playing against a computer does get dull
Play like your first, Train like your second
mikeymoo
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada7170 Posts
July 09 2007 10:50 GMT
#7
So it took a week and a half for 2 hours a day? Or is that 14? 6-8 could be either.

If it's two, that's about 22 hours of practice, which I guess is a reasonable amount of time to increase your apm.
o_x | Ow. | 1003 ESPORTS dollars | If you have any questions about bans please PM Kennigit
rushz0rz
Profile Blog Joined February 2006
Canada5300 Posts
July 09 2007 11:02 GMT
#8
what race do you play? and did you switch the computers race every game?
IntoTheRainBOw fan~
riptide
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
5673 Posts
July 09 2007 11:06 GMT
#9
A problem I have in increasing my APM is that spam clicking sometimes makes me do things that are counter productive (like moving my probes away). I've watched FPVODs, and what most players seem to do is to keep selecting and deselecting units. Is there a formula or rhythm for doing this? What are your personal preferences in keeping a high APM?

Also, does mouse sensitivity have anything to do with this? I have a low end optical mouse, and sometimes I feel I'm not accurate enough. Is high accuracy a big part of SC, or am I just imagining things? I mean, I don't mis click, it just feels really slow sometimes. I increased the mouse scroll speed to max today and it feels better now, but is there anything else I should do?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
AdministratorSKT T1 | Masters of the Universe
TheFoReveRwaR
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
United States10657 Posts
July 09 2007 11:07 GMT
#10
Why play against a computer though? Why not just focus on these things and play actual games at the same time?
Being healthy, it has been said, really consists of having the same disease as everybody else.
crazie-penguin
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States1253 Posts
July 09 2007 11:07 GMT
#11
Gad, I remember when you told me to do this...I failed horribly T_T. When i got above like at 250 APM my macro was going down so much xD.
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
July 09 2007 11:09 GMT
#12
I hardly spam. and I get 250++average games.

who the fucks knows.
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
zobz
Profile Joined November 2005
Canada2175 Posts
July 09 2007 11:20 GMT
#13
i'd like a replay of you playing a person
"That's not gonna be good for business." "That's not gonna be good for anybody."
BlueIris
Profile Joined November 2006
Korea (South)107 Posts
July 09 2007 11:22 GMT
#14
@Mikeymoo
2 hours a day. I couldn't sit down and play this game for 14 hours. No matter how fun it is ^^

@rushz0rz
I was a terran player at the time. I played against protoss and zerg, choosing depending on my mood
I play protoss now though ^^ Just because they are so underused and considered weak at the higher levels

@TheFoReveRwaR

When your doing this exercise, you need to focus all of your attention on simply meeting the conditions. It may sound easy on paper, but hell it took me a long time to even meet the conditions. When your playing against another player, you will most likely get slaughtered before you are able efficiently practice your apm and macro (practicing this exercise for 7 minutes is useless. It gets truly difficult when you are able to take 2 or more expansions). Playing against a computer is hard enough. However, if you are able to keep that high of an apm and macro while playing another player and win, you don't need to even read this thread.

@ riptide

I believe that everyone has a different style of maintaining apm. I really don't pay attention to apm any more, for it comes naturally. But I have a tendency to shift through my troops and at each of my gateways and nexuses. (1a2a3a4a556677889900) When I click at a location, I make alot of useless clicks. I click about 5-10 times to send a unit towards that direction. Its not that I purposely do it to increase my apm, but it has become natural.

Your question on mouse sensitivity is all about preference. I play with a slightly lower mouse sensitivity for I use my wrist alot. Yet some of my friends who play in Nal have a incredibly sensitive mouse. I tried playing a game with that high of sensitivity. My micro was killed.

@ crazie-penguin

hey

Its hard stuff isn't it XD

Play like your first, Train like your second
riptide
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
5673 Posts
July 09 2007 11:33 GMT
#15
Thanks BlueIris. Anyone else have any suggestions?
AdministratorSKT T1 | Masters of the Universe
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26004 Posts
July 09 2007 11:59 GMT
#16
I've found I got a lot better once I realized I could be better. It's cliche, but whatever. I used think "if I could send targetted units away that would be so good." Now I realize I can do that and I do do that. This story helps no one so I don't know why I'm posting it. Gogo post count boost.
Moderator
Equinox_kr
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States7395 Posts
July 09 2007 12:14 GMT
#17
Wow; that's a great idea BlueIris. I should try this ASAP
^-^
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
July 09 2007 12:26 GMT
#18
I've seen nothing but quality information in your posts in the past, and there's not reason for me to think otherwise about this latest one.

Thanks for this advice; hopefully some of us can report back to you in ~2 weeks with results.
OrderlyChaos
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States1115 Posts
July 09 2007 12:41 GMT
#19
This looks interesting, and since it's summer break, this would be a great time to try it!

I'll see if I can work up the courage to start this

Hopefully, I can report in two weeks with success (or that I got lazy <_< Hope that doesn't happen)
ff7legend
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States213 Posts
July 09 2007 12:44 GMT
#20
i just started it and im about 30 mins into it. And its very frustrating keeping up ur apm
I am the best ever... aka Truth, Judge, Legend
1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko249
LamboSC2 117
Codebar 32
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 23741
Calm 5957
Rain 2132
Bisu 1221
FanTaSy 838
Jaedong 454
Horang2 442
Rush 366
Soma 340
BeSt 251
[ Show more ]
Stork 228
Zeus 219
Mini 156
Light 119
Larva 110
Mong 90
Hyun 85
Barracks 84
Pusan 77
Mind 76
Snow 67
ZerO 66
910 66
Free 48
ToSsGirL 36
Killer 35
Yoon 32
NaDa 28
Sexy 28
Shinee 27
sorry 19
Hm[arnc] 14
Terrorterran 14
Noble 13
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc6289
Counter-Strike
fl0m1395
olofmeister1077
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King70
Other Games
gofns56026
singsing1802
B2W.Neo543
dupreeh380
crisheroes281
ZerO(Twitch)5
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2214
Other Games
• WagamamaTV142
Upcoming Events
OSC
11h 23m
Big Brain Bouts
22h 23m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 5h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 7h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 22h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.