• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:04
CEST 02:04
KST 09:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War375.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Rollback Netcode in Brood War Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7878 users

Training Excercise for Starcraft - Page 3

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
BlueIris
Profile Joined November 2006
Korea (South)107 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-10 00:23:49
July 10 2007 00:17 GMT
#41
Thanks for all the positive feedback,

It worked for me, but I'm really not sure how it will work out for you guys.

@ Zulu
This exercise is not for the players who are already good at the game. Rather, it is an exercise that promotes speed while attempting to maintain macro. You are at first, over exaggerating and pushing yourself, therefore being "artificial" in one aspect, but just like everything else in the world, you have to push yourself in order to get better. The purpose is first to gain speed and trust me, a person will do the most useless things in the game to maintain their apm that high. Yet once a person is naturally adapted to maintaining that apm, their actions will become more useful and actually have a purpose as you continue to play the game.

Put it in this viewpoint. Some players aren't good enough to maintain their macro even when they are not being pressured. Again, this exercise isn't for players like Nony or Ret. I am simply putting out an exercise that worked for me and I am sharing this idea to others to see how well they fare.

@besiger.cry
Try playing against 2 computers or drag out the game purposely. The first few times you try to do this. It'll be hard just to meet the requirements. It'll be one hectic game. I'm sure everyone here can beat a computer, but I suppose only experience tells. Beating a computer while trying to maintain these conditions is a difficult task in itself.

@kNyTTyM
Thats why its hard ;p
Instead of focusing on winning the game. Focus on meeting the requirements.

Once you can comfortably meet them, the next step is winning. But first priority should be to meet the standards. It is quite a daunting task from my memories ><

@ KrAzYfoOL
Please read my post before you say things like that. I gave plenty of reasons why you should play computers at first. If you have a friend who will play against you and understands what you are trying to accomplish, it would be even better. Yet I personally did not have that friend who was willing to invest that much time to making me better.

Thanks for all the feedback I'm glad alot of you are trying it out. If it doesn't help you at all, feel free to yell at me for wasting alot of your time TT

Play like your first, Train like your second
Guybrush
Profile Blog Joined December 2002
Spain4744 Posts
July 10 2007 00:39 GMT
#42
Who wrote this post ?

"seriously most people that have replied fuck off please. I know Incontrol and his 140 apm zerg is 100x better than my 200 apm terran and I know that kouros[fou]'s 170 apm tvz is probably semi pro while mine is pgt C-. They can do more with lower apm because they have more experience and are more clear headed when they play, every moment they know what they have to do and how to react so they don't freak out and start spamming. To get to Kouros's 170 apm tvz level you probably need to have played millions of games at 170 apm beforehand to get to that stage of zen. For some people like me that is more unrealistic than say bashing my keyboard for 3 months until I get to 250 apm and hopefully with the same or little improved knowledge but much better mechanics, I can win players that I couldn't win before. And that is my goal. I've played a lot of tvz games recently where the opponent sucked but had 300 apm so they outmacroed me and I couldn't attack micro macro as fast and thus lost. I don't wanna see that happen ever again, I don't ever wanna get "outpaced" in a starcraft game. And if to that your advice is "learn better builds", "use dropship more often", "outsmart him", then you can gtfo this thread and hang yourself please. I asked a simple question, and want a simple answer, and people come in with their mighty wisdom and lecture me on how apm isn't important and how I should learn to improve other areas. just fuck off please, post some replays for comments and ask questions in the strategy thread for 2 months and I'll spam for 2 months let's see who's improved more after."
Live2Win is awesome. Happy new year scarabi!
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
July 10 2007 01:02 GMT
#43
omg i did, a rash and youthful me. Luckily I did achieve that state of zen. I was so frustrated at what I thought were slow hands but in truth slow mind. My apm has probably been the same since I made that post but my everything else has improved leaps and bounds. I would probably attribute it to meeting nal_crayon's world wonder 150 apm tvz. If you ever feel like your hands are too slow bother him on west to ob a game. My advice now to the me of then would be to try to play faster but throw away bwchart because you can always do more with the apm you have.

and btw, incontrol's zerg is not 140 apm, it's 1400 apm
niteReloaded
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Croatia5282 Posts
July 10 2007 02:28 GMT
#44
For those asking about which program to use, just patch back to 1.14 and use penguin. its the same to you because u play vs computer and dont need to go online.
Knickknack
Profile Joined February 2004
United States1187 Posts
July 10 2007 02:36 GMT
#45
seems like work and terribly boring...pretty much what sc has become for me.

OK so you learned to spend minerals well and be fast...key skills.
No idea what you actually learned about the game though.
| www.ArtofProtoss.vze.com |
High5ive
Profile Joined June 2007
Canada40 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-10 03:08:54
July 10 2007 02:54 GMT
#46
I've never been able to defend myself when people saw my high apm while they had lower and won. Then later on down the line I was beating them but thats another story. The point is people always bash apm as useless. Well here is the thread telling you all(apm bashers) in simple words so that you may understand why its good. So here's my fast story.

+ Show Spoiler +
A good gamer always makes the right decisions. APM will not make you better at that, playing the game will. What APM will do is make your mouse faster, your precision better. Those two together make for uber-micro. Those two together makes for uber-macro, go back home grab four probes make them move to pylon area, go back to micro, when probes reach pylon area go back put down 4 gateways, go back to micro then back to probes for 4 more gateways(thats 8 now) all this within 4-5 seconds that you were microing in. Thats why I like to play fast. (I rambled at the end of this one IMO. sorry.


+ Show Spoiler +
2005 I saw blizzcon(Seen Reach). Downloaded starcraft via Torrents. Found Korean Progaming. Thought I could be pro if I was 300+ apm. So in that I became 300+ apm. I wasn't playing like a pro!? I did not give up, friends said you spam, friends said your apm is uselsss, friends said your apm is not apm, friends said apm is useless clicks and spam. Guess what! Months later my apm now owns. Never give up and you will learn the ways of the game the same way everyone else does, through playing, except you will be faster. It will become simple to play like this, and you will do more back(micro/macro) and forth(micro/macro) style of play. When you see stupid stuff that makes apm look bad, or a fucked up psi. Thats just bad memory not apm's fault. lol^^


For those who think people with high apm forget because they have too much shit going on. They just don't know what fast play is like. We've been slow and didn't like it. So we moved up a few notches. ^^
and I quote
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
July 10 2007 03:13 GMT
#47
can't we just accept this as another alternate way to attempt getting better at the game that may work for some but not for others, and move on?
BlueIris
Profile Joined November 2006
Korea (South)107 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-10 03:25:33
July 10 2007 03:20 GMT
#48
On July 10 2007 11:36 Knickknack wrote:
seems like work and terribly boring...pretty much what sc has become for me.

OK so you learned to spend minerals well and be fast...key skills.
No idea what you actually learned about the game though.


Well thats the point of the exercise o.O

Simply for macro and speed for those who need to improve upon it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I personally believe that apm is important to the game. I believe that 300+ is over kill. Around 170-250 seems about a good apm. A high apm does not necessarily mean that you are good. It simply means that you are able to quickly shift between macro and micro screens, a necessary feat in higher levels of starcraft. For nothing beats experience, but IMHO, I believe APM and speed does help a player.

I am not saying that APM determines the player. I simply put out an exercise that worked and helped me. If you feel the need to dismiss it, then feel free to do so.

^^
Play like your first, Train like your second
mikeymoo
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada7170 Posts
July 10 2007 03:27 GMT
#49
I just tried this.

I didn't find it that difficult to keep a high apm, but since I was playing a computer (i.e. almost no pressure except right at the beginning sometimes) I found it difficult to spend my minerals once I was 200/200. Granted, I could have tried to overrun by then, but I felt like taking 5 expansions just to see if I could keep up.
o_x | Ow. | 1003 ESPORTS dollars | If you have any questions about bans please PM Kennigit
Jayson X
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Switzerland2431 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-10 03:35:19
July 10 2007 03:34 GMT
#50
I think it's an option worth a try for everyone who's willing to devote their time to such a method.

Small story. Two friends watched me playing a clanwar, both knew the game, played it themself and they saw a few progames with me. Now, the first thing one of my friends said when he watched me was: "This looks like work...".

Sure you can drill yourself until it's second nature. But i for myself allways remember the old "im young and i have time"-times where you just played the game, relaxed and eventually got better.
It surely is a way, and i may give it a try sometimes, but i still believe that small and exponential steps will offer you greater success later on. Cause it can be hard to stop bad habits -> spam for instance.

In terms of macro management, efficiency should be the only goal. How you reach that target is of course up to yourself.
Jathin
Profile Blog Joined February 2005
United States3505 Posts
July 10 2007 03:38 GMT
#51
--- Nuked ---
xM(Z
Profile Joined November 2006
Romania5299 Posts
July 10 2007 03:58 GMT
#52
i rather have the speed and work on my knowledge then have the knowledge and don't have the speed to put it in practice.
And my fury stands ready. I bring all your plans to nought. My bleak heart beats steady. 'Tis you whom I have sought.
MyLostTemple *
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2921 Posts
July 10 2007 04:49 GMT
#53
i like everything but the '300 apm' part. I worry this would encourage a player to spend WAY more time spamming just to keep the apm up and less time focusing on the best next moves. In my opinion you should keep the exercise but focus on keeping apm above 110.

I also think it would be great to do this in slow mode too, practice hand positions etc.
Follow me on twitter: CallMeTasteless
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44372 Posts
July 10 2007 05:10 GMT
#54
I too am worried by the 300 apm part. I'd like to challenge BlueIris to a high apm vs low apm showmatch, both because I love my incredibly low apm and because I think the focus on high apm detracts from more valuable training techniques. Up for it?

But it was still a useful topic, thanks for the contribution.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
July 10 2007 06:44 GMT
#55
I think I'm going to try this with my noobie friends. It seems a lot smarter to gain as much as possible from playing those friends since they don't challenge me at all.

I tried this vs. the comp but the highest I got was 229 (my normal active apm is 150-180 with the occasional games above and below)

Hopefully this will work out well in the end
Official Entusman #21
knyttym
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
United States5797 Posts
July 10 2007 06:51 GMT
#56
i c. I'll try it again.
besiger
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
Croatia2452 Posts
July 10 2007 07:14 GMT
#57
how do you get apm up to 300 ? about 10th minute into the game i just drop down to 250 and cant keep it higher no matter what i do
A weak will coupled with delusions of grandeur
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
July 10 2007 07:27 GMT
#58
If you can hit 300 at the beginning, then you have what it takes to keep it 300 throughout the game by maintaining the same action patterns that you had in the beginning (or doing analogous spam)
Eatme
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
Switzerland3919 Posts
July 10 2007 08:37 GMT
#59
It is an interesting idea that I have tried but not to this extreme. In alot of other sports you practice parts of the sport itself so why not in starcraft. However I'm rather satisfied with my 140ish apm and just try to play fast, accurate and effective now.

Other things I do from time to time vs comps is, trying to get to 200supply as fast as possible. Beat the comp with various strats in as short time as possible ect. About as effective as a pubbie hunters game in terms of training I guess. Just different.
I have the best fucking lawyers in the country including the man they call the Malmis.
Person514cs
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
1004 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-10 09:05:43
July 10 2007 09:04 GMT
#60
You reached the two conditions in two weeks? That's amazing. You were probably a decent player from the start. I tried some thing similar but I just can't get the mouse to click accurate enough when I go too fast. for example, misplace the supplys or rally the wrong locations.
Peace and love, for ever.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings73
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE128
ProTech123
SpeCial 91
StarCraft: Brood War
910 67
NaDa 24
Dota 2
monkeys_forever437
canceldota159
NeuroSwarm142
League of Legends
Doublelift4569
Other Games
summit1g6043
JimRising 420
C9.Mang0343
ToD81
PPMD31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick698
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 103
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP62
• poizon28 35
• RyuSc2 24
• davetesta11
• Adnapsc2 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Scarra944
Other Games
• Shiphtur558
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
9h 56m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
16h 56m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
18h 56m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 9h
Patches Events
1d 14h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 18h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 18h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.