• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:24
CEST 06:24
KST 13:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202611Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8822 users

Mouse clicks freezing/blocking keyboard inputs

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
LaLuSh
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Sweden2358 Posts
March 31 2017 16:34 GMT
#1
I wanted to take the chance and discuss a peculiar mouse and keyboard interaction quirk that has existed in Brood War ever since the game launched.

It's something you notice when you go back to Brood War after having played other RTS games for a period of time:

Holding down the left/right mouse button in BW completely blocks all keyboard inputs from being registered.

For example: You have 3 control groups of units you want to 1a2a3a.

  1. You press 1, you press a, you click on the map.
  2. You immediately press 2, but you haven't yet released your mouse from clicking on the map from step 1. This results in your 2nd control group never getting selected.


I wanted to ask the Teamliquid BW forum whether you guys think this is a "feature of Starcraft", or whether it should be considered an archaic quirk of the game that was probably never intended to be in there.

In other words: Is it okay for Blizzard to patch this and make Brood War accept keyboard inputs at the same time as mouse inputs?

Poll: Should BW be able to register simultaneous keyboard and mouse inputs?

Yes (318)
 
83%

No (60)
 
16%

Other (7)
 
2%

385 total votes

Your vote: Should BW be able to register simultaneous keyboard and mouse inputs?

(Vote): Yes
(Vote): No
(Vote): Other


mattias
Profile Joined March 2017
8 Posts
March 31 2017 16:39 GMT
#2
In my opinion input delay should not exist mainly because there used to be workaround to that back in the days iirc, BUT HARDCORE C- VETERANS will be telling you that it will break the balance and will be unaceptable just like hotkeys, only if they knew many people including me were playing on iccup and fish with changed hotkeys for years haha
Philoctetes
Profile Joined March 2017
Netherlands77 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-31 16:59:43
March 31 2017 16:53 GMT
#3
Of course. But Blizzard never thought about it.

You can also 1a2a3a too fast, and it doesn't register either.

As for input delay, I heard there is a test server with 1.18 online right now. So what is the input delay? The same as original 28.8 baud modem-era Starcraft? The same as WC3? The same as SC2/LoL, or the same as LAN latency?



BUT HARDCORE C- VETERANS will be telling you that it will break the balance and will be unaceptable just like hotkeys ...


I hope this is sarcasm and making fun of people who complain about others with valid balance concerns. if so, lie it on thicker and actually find some funnies. If not, get your 5 post account back to the SC2 board.
LaLuSh
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Sweden2358 Posts
March 31 2017 17:00 GMT
#4
This thread has nothing to do with input delay.

The reason 1a2a3a-ing fails to register is almost in all cases because your mouse button wasn't fully released after clicking on the map/minimap.

Try it for yourself.
Philoctetes
Profile Joined March 2017
Netherlands77 Posts
March 31 2017 17:04 GMT
#5
Well, if there is input delay like there is in unmodified SC/SC2/WC3, why chance this annoying but minor effect, but keep the delay as is?
travertine
Profile Joined March 2017
3 Posts
March 31 2017 17:08 GMT
#6
if they change such a thing, it should be a toggle option in the menu instead of just changing it
mdb
Profile Blog Joined February 2003
Bulgaria4059 Posts
March 31 2017 17:13 GMT
#7
I voted no. This will lower the skill cap a little bit (which is not good thing in my book) and also it will hurt the mechanically better players.
st4ck0v3rfl0w
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
79 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-03-31 17:58:39
March 31 2017 17:46 GMT
#8
I also did a test a while ago, where some clicks of me were not registered correctly. Windows just sent a doubleclick message to starcraft which was then ignored. I don't know if this is just a problem with my mouse, but I'd say attack and then doubleclick should also result in an attack, and not nothing.

On April 01 2017 02:13 mdb wrote:
I voted no. This will lower the skill cap a little bit (which is not good thing in my book) and also it will hurt the mechanically better players.

I disagree. I would argue that removing this limitation allows players to micro more which I think is desired
B-Wong
Profile Joined October 2010
United States240 Posts
March 31 2017 20:30 GMT
#9
I definitely think this engine limitation should be remedied if possible. It's really frustrating to not have your inputs go through as it just makes the game feel more sluggish in terms of controls. I don't think it's especially skillful either to only be able to control your army using only either the keyboard or the mouse. It's not as if the inputs weren't sent at all, so clearly the intention behind the action is there. Also what if your particular mouse model's switches happen to take an extra fraction of a second to lift up? I don't think that there should be a limitation on people's ability to play due to the particular peripherals that they use.
rand0MPrecisi0n
Profile Joined February 2017
313 Posts
March 31 2017 20:42 GMT
#10
Been in the game for 18 years, everyone dealt with it just fine, but let's CHANGE EVERYTHING
rand0MPrecisi0n
Profile Joined February 2017
313 Posts
March 31 2017 20:45 GMT
#11
On April 01 2017 02:46 st4ck0v3rfl0w wrote:
I also did a test a while ago, where some clicks of me were not registered correctly. Windows just sent a doubleclick message to starcraft which was then ignored. I don't know if this is just a problem with my mouse, but I'd say attack and then doubleclick should also result in an attack, and not nothing.

Show nested quote +
On April 01 2017 02:13 mdb wrote:
I voted no. This will lower the skill cap a little bit (which is not good thing in my book) and also it will hurt the mechanically better players.

I disagree. I would argue that removing this limitation allows players to micro more which I think is desired


This argument is ridiculous. It doesn't matter what it allows playes to do more. You see, players that have faster 1a2a3a4a5a already can do more than players that don't. By removing this it makes it even, essentially lowering the skill cap. The game punishes people with sloppy inputs, who deserve to be punished, and rewards those who either have the talent to do it cleanly, or put in a lot of effort into learning how to do it cleanly
rand0MPrecisi0n
Profile Joined February 2017
313 Posts
March 31 2017 20:50 GMT
#12
As far as the argument about 'certain mouses have different switches', this can really be applied to any peripheral and any game whatsoever. Some people play CS with bad sensors, should the game correct your aim cause players with worse sensors aren't able to aim properly? Some people have bad keyboards, should the game correct your inputs cause your board sucks? We should just make the game play itself then, but if we're going to arbitrarily have to draw the line somewhere, it should be where it's already at, as it has been played and loved for 18+ years
B-royal
Profile Joined May 2015
Belgium1330 Posts
March 31 2017 21:13 GMT
#13
Bad to remove. Same thing with having custom hotkeys. Anyone's that's every tried to micro two control groups of mutalisks will love these changes.

1: 11 mutalisks
2: 11 mutalisks

1 right click, 2 right click, 1 hold position, 2 hold position, 1 right click back, 2 right click back.

Allowing this keyboard input to register would make this way too easy. Same thing with having custom hotkeys.
new BW-player (~E rank fish) twitch.tv/crispydrone || What plays 500 games a season but can't get better? => http://imgur.com/a/pLzf9 <= ||
outscar
Profile Joined September 2014
2832 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-04-01 00:00:52
March 31 2017 23:59 GMT
#14
On March 30 2017 23:03 outscar wrote:
I got some input issues related to spamming. On 1.16 if you holded key f.e. 3 (CC) and while holding that key if you clicked to minerals you could switch between CC and minerals. In this version if I click to minerals while holding my CC key and then release my click my screen doesn't go back to CC thus I need to push my 3 (CC) hotkey again. Hope I could explain. If not I will try to rec a video.



Nice that someone finally noted this out. This thing should be fixed immediately! I mean just give back before input. Please post this on Battle.net forum as well.
sunbeams are never made like me...
rand0MPrecisi0n
Profile Joined February 2017
313 Posts
April 01 2017 00:14 GMT
#15
On April 01 2017 08:59 outscar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2017 23:03 outscar wrote:
I got some input issues related to spamming. On 1.16 if you holded key f.e. 3 (CC) and while holding that key if you clicked to minerals you could switch between CC and minerals. In this version if I click to minerals while holding my CC key and then release my click my screen doesn't go back to CC thus I need to push my 3 (CC) hotkey again. Hope I could explain. If not I will try to rec a video.



Nice that someone finally noted this out. This thing should be fixed immediately! I mean just give back before input. Please post this on Battle.net forum as well.


I don't think this is the same problem this guy is talking about. The mouse always prevented keyboard inputs, but the keyboard doesn't prevent mouse inputs. If it's changed from the original then it needs to be addressed for sure
CognacLover
Profile Joined January 2016
Poland66 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-04-01 00:29:56
April 01 2017 00:28 GMT
#16
On April 01 2017 09:14 rand0MPrecisi0n wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 01 2017 08:59 outscar wrote:
On March 30 2017 23:03 outscar wrote:
I got some input issues related to spamming. On 1.16 if you holded key f.e. 3 (CC) and while holding that key if you clicked to minerals you could switch between CC and minerals. In this version if I click to minerals while holding my CC key and then release my click my screen doesn't go back to CC thus I need to push my 3 (CC) hotkey again. Hope I could explain. If not I will try to rec a video.



Nice that someone finally noted this out. This thing should be fixed immediately! I mean just give back before input. Please post this on Battle.net forum as well.


I don't think this is the same problem this guy is talking about. The mouse always prevented keyboard inputs, but the keyboard doesn't prevent mouse inputs. If it's changed from the original then it needs to be addressed for sure


I got same issue it's backwards opposite issue of what OP said. Now while pressing keyboard button I can't cycle through hotkey pressing, holding and mouse clicking. If I click mouse button while holding down hotkey I can't get back to my hotkey.
Conservative olsdchooler.
rand0MPrecisi0n
Profile Joined February 2017
313 Posts
April 01 2017 02:57 GMT
#17
Can someone else test this? I tested on 1.16 and what happens is that the game accepts key repetition (like when you're using word or notepad), so if you hold down a key it starts repeating. I can't run PTR here to see what is going on.

Someone kind enough please test if you can't hold a key down and it keeps repeating (for example, group a unit to 1, tell the unit to go somewhere and hold down 1, if the screen keeps centering it's repeating, if not it isn't)

Second test would be try to press the mouse when you have a key pressed down, see if the mouse click is registered

Third would be to group something to any number, box somewhere empty, hold down the number you grouped, wait a second and then release the mouse button. See if the screen jumps to your grouped unit

Thanks a lot!
GoShox
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States1845 Posts
April 01 2017 03:29 GMT
#18
On April 01 2017 08:59 outscar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2017 23:03 outscar wrote:
I got some input issues related to spamming. On 1.16 if you holded key f.e. 3 (CC) and while holding that key if you clicked to minerals you could switch between CC and minerals. In this version if I click to minerals while holding my CC key and then release my click my screen doesn't go back to CC thus I need to push my 3 (CC) hotkey again. Hope I could explain. If not I will try to rec a video.



Nice that someone finally noted this out. This thing should be fixed immediately! I mean just give back before input. Please post this on Battle.net forum as well.


I believe this issue is due to the difference between L1 and L2. My guess is that when Blizz switches to L2, this will go back to the behavior in 1.16
rand0MPrecisi0n
Profile Joined February 2017
313 Posts
April 01 2017 03:36 GMT
#19
Every issue should be tested and documented, instead of just assuming its cause and hoping it's fixed. Also, BW input is client sided, so idk how you got from 'input not working problem' to 'this is a latency issue'
ninazerg
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States7291 Posts
April 01 2017 03:43 GMT
#20
On April 01 2017 02:00 LaLuSh wrote:
This thread has nothing to do with input delay.

The reason 1a2a3a-ing fails to register is almost in all cases because your mouse button wasn't fully released after clicking on the map/minimap.

Try it for yourself.


You have to play cleaner. Don't be so sloppy and over-spam the keyboard.
"If two pregnant women get into a fist fight, it's like a mecha-battle between two unborn babies." - Fyodor Dostoevsky
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 213
ProTech133
Nina 73
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2992
Shuttle 1478
Dewaltoss 85
Sharp 43
Mong 29
Noble 11
Icarus 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm191
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox669
Other Games
summit1g6660
WinterStarcraft468
C9.Mang0285
ViBE127
Sick109
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 32
• StrangeGG 20
• Letter149
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki18
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota249
League of Legends
• Lourlo978
• Stunt293
Other Games
• Shiphtur425
Upcoming Events
OSC
18h 37m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 5h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 12h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 14h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.