• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:02
CEST 21:02
KST 04:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8229 users

US Politics Feedback Thread - Page 198

Forum Index > Website Feedback
Post a Reply
Prev 1 196 197 198 199 200 345 Next
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
September 29 2018 03:50 GMT
#3941
On September 29 2018 12:07 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 29 2018 11:46 ChristianS wrote:
I mean, we've literally got a second politics thread where the most inflammatory posters do most of their posting. Partitioning groups that strongly disagree with each other into separate discussion spaces is basically the definition of an echo chamber.

Just to be clear, by "inflammatory" I don't necessarily mean they post badly, just that their posts tend to literally inflame the thread. Also for the record, I'm not overall opposed to the second thread existing - I think it's allowed some interesting discussion that probably wouldn't take place otherwise - but if you're wondering why things have felt more like echo chamber lately, I think the answer's pretty clear.


It's kinda hard to call the second one an echo chamber when the primary posters have almost entirely different political perspectives (from each other). Besides the posters that the main thread would prefer didn't post, that simply isn't the case there (or won't be once introvert loses interest in entertaining the arguments he gets).

If more right-leaning folk could hold a discussion like Introvert does, I'd be way less annoyed with them collectively. It's not fair to him specifically, either, because as one of the main conservative posters who isn't banned, he'll find multiple people ready to argue against his points, but not necessarily to support them. But I've always appreciated his ability to enter a conversation without being condescending and/or gaslighting right out of the gate. I disagree with his politics in many ways, but as someone expressing the other side, as it were, I think he helps spur healthy discussion more often than not.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24376 Posts
September 29 2018 04:01 GMT
#3942
On September 29 2018 12:50 NewSunshine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 29 2018 12:07 GreenHorizons wrote:
On September 29 2018 11:46 ChristianS wrote:
I mean, we've literally got a second politics thread where the most inflammatory posters do most of their posting. Partitioning groups that strongly disagree with each other into separate discussion spaces is basically the definition of an echo chamber.

Just to be clear, by "inflammatory" I don't necessarily mean they post badly, just that their posts tend to literally inflame the thread. Also for the record, I'm not overall opposed to the second thread existing - I think it's allowed some interesting discussion that probably wouldn't take place otherwise - but if you're wondering why things have felt more like echo chamber lately, I think the answer's pretty clear.


It's kinda hard to call the second one an echo chamber when the primary posters have almost entirely different political perspectives (from each other). Besides the posters that the main thread would prefer didn't post, that simply isn't the case there (or won't be once introvert loses interest in entertaining the arguments he gets).

If more right-leaning folk could hold a discussion like Introvert does, I'd be way less annoyed with them collectively. It's not fair to him specifically, either, because as one of the main conservative posters who isn't banned, he'll find multiple people ready to argue against his points, but not necessarily to support them. But I've always appreciated his ability to enter a conversation without being condescending and/or gaslighting right out of the gate. I disagree with his politics in many ways, but as someone expressing the other side, as it were, I think he helps spur healthy discussion more often than not.


Maybe I'm misreading things a bit but it wasn't a comment on the appreciation for intro's post but rather how long he'll put up with the quality, or rather lack thereof, of the posts in response to him.

Granted there's usually several of varying quality so I'll leave it to him to comment on that part of his experience.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
September 29 2018 04:04 GMT
#3943
On September 29 2018 13:01 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 29 2018 12:50 NewSunshine wrote:
On September 29 2018 12:07 GreenHorizons wrote:
On September 29 2018 11:46 ChristianS wrote:
I mean, we've literally got a second politics thread where the most inflammatory posters do most of their posting. Partitioning groups that strongly disagree with each other into separate discussion spaces is basically the definition of an echo chamber.

Just to be clear, by "inflammatory" I don't necessarily mean they post badly, just that their posts tend to literally inflame the thread. Also for the record, I'm not overall opposed to the second thread existing - I think it's allowed some interesting discussion that probably wouldn't take place otherwise - but if you're wondering why things have felt more like echo chamber lately, I think the answer's pretty clear.


It's kinda hard to call the second one an echo chamber when the primary posters have almost entirely different political perspectives (from each other). Besides the posters that the main thread would prefer didn't post, that simply isn't the case there (or won't be once introvert loses interest in entertaining the arguments he gets).

If more right-leaning folk could hold a discussion like Introvert does, I'd be way less annoyed with them collectively. It's not fair to him specifically, either, because as one of the main conservative posters who isn't banned, he'll find multiple people ready to argue against his points, but not necessarily to support them. But I've always appreciated his ability to enter a conversation without being condescending and/or gaslighting right out of the gate. I disagree with his politics in many ways, but as someone expressing the other side, as it were, I think he helps spur healthy discussion more often than not.


Maybe I'm misreading things a bit but it wasn't a comment on the appreciation for intro's post but rather how long he'll put up with the quality, or rather lack thereof, of the posts in response to him.

Granted there's usually several of varying quality so I'll leave it to him to comment on that part of his experience.

Oh I get that, I just thought I'd mention it since you brought him up. I've been trying to do better about recognizing good discussion from people I disagree with, is all, since there's been a lot of bad.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24376 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-09-29 05:05:00
September 29 2018 05:02 GMT
#3944
I guess something I've wondered is if a poster like nettles and his posts are nonsensical conspiracy theories or whatever why do several people feel obligated to comment on them?

Shouldn't people just ignore them, or at least ignore it once it's clear they aren't getting anywhere?

Wouldn't the easiest way to deal with something like his most recent post be to just ignore it (or at least better than what happens now)?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
ChristianS
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3304 Posts
September 29 2018 05:10 GMT
#3945
On September 29 2018 12:07 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 29 2018 11:46 ChristianS wrote:
I mean, we've literally got a second politics thread where the most inflammatory posters do most of their posting. Partitioning groups that strongly disagree with each other into separate discussion spaces is basically the definition of an echo chamber.

Just to be clear, by "inflammatory" I don't necessarily mean they post badly, just that their posts tend to literally inflame the thread. Also for the record, I'm not overall opposed to the second thread existing - I think it's allowed some interesting discussion that probably wouldn't take place otherwise - but if you're wondering why things have felt more like echo chamber lately, I think the answer's pretty clear.


It's kinda hard to call the second one an echo chamber when the primary posters have almost entirely different political perspectives (from each other). Besides the posters that the main thread would prefer didn't post, that simply isn't the case there (or won't be once introvert loses interest in entertaining the arguments he gets).

I mostly agree, although obviously moving the inflammatory posts away from the people who are inflamed by them also means those posters aren't getting as much pushback. You can easily get, for instance, an xDaunt post about how corrupt and evil the Obama Justice Department was, followed by a Danglars post mostly in agreement, and maybe a post from you saying it's been a corrupt and evil institution since its inception, which xDaunt mostly treats as agreement. In a case like that the second thread is insulating the conversation from the posters who would defend the Obama Justice Department, or the FBI in general, or at least argue xDaunt's allegations are just unsubstantiated rumor and conspiracy theory.

The absence of liberal posters challenging the claim allows the conversation to progress to, say, you and xDaunt discussing the merits of an advocacy system, which is an interesting discussion that probably wouldn't have happened in the main thread. But I do think the second thread can be insulated from confrontation in the way that we associate with echo chambers.

Again, I don't want this to sound like criticism of the Mega-Blog's existence - I continue to be amazed that the mods allowed it and that it is working as well as it is. It's a very interesting experiment, and as it stands now if I was only going to read one thread it'd probably be the Mega-Blog.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Robert J. Hanlon
Introvert
Profile Joined April 2011
United States5029 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-09-29 05:46:19
September 29 2018 05:44 GMT
#3946
I saw the reference to the blog thread in the ABL and took a look, but who has time for two threads? I'm not ready to give up on this one yet. Although the mods might give up before I do.

This statement right here though,

My personal view is that since the conservative PoV is flawed, not based on empirical data, generally reactionary and even evil etc. that it’s really impossible for a conservative poster to post in “good faith”.


is very concerning and I think I've seen something similar, though not exactly like that, from Neb. I suspect there are a lot of posters who share this feeling, even if they know they aren't supposed to say it. I do appreciate the honesty, however (but no, it doesn't make me more inclined to engage with that person). There is a saying in conservative circles that i don't use because it's reductive, but it fits in right here, and im sure you've all heard it-

"The right thinks the left is wrong, and the left thinks the right is evil."

And while now is not the most civil time in our country with respect to right or left, the above quoted sentiment fits perfectly into this saying.
"But, as the conservative understands it, modification of the rules should always reflect, and never impose, a change in the activities and beliefs of those who are subject to them, and should never on any occasion be so great as to destroy the ensemble."
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-09-29 09:03:05
September 29 2018 09:01 GMT
#3947
This is a gaming forum, so I don’t think it makes sense to adopt a hardline stance with respect to politics, which is why I’ll tolerate people whose political perspectives I disagree with. But I do disagree with their perspectives and I just don’t personally (sorry) respect them. I would consider that TL has a right to moderate any over the top invective, given this is not a partisan space, but there will always be tension with such a moderation policy. That can’t be helped and is intrinsic to the topic of politics.

But what’s really the point of having “good faith” arguments with someone whose beliefs you don’t respect? I can agree there should be standards for civil debate, and you ( Introvert) do meet those, because your posts are coherent and reasoned. But it just strikes me as something different.

Anyway, I don’t mind this terminology that much, and I would concede it can be usefully applied in this situation, but I just had some worries it would obscure the fact that there are very serious disagreements which can’t be breached.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Tachion
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada8573 Posts
September 29 2018 13:15 GMT
#3948
On September 29 2018 14:44 Introvert wrote:
I saw the reference to the blog thread in the ABL and took a look, but who has time for two threads? I'm not ready to give up on this one yet. Although the mods might give up before I do.

This statement right here though,

Show nested quote +
My personal view is that since the conservative PoV is flawed, not based on empirical data, generally reactionary and even evil etc. that it’s really impossible for a conservative poster to post in “good faith”.


is very concerning and I think I've seen something similar, though not exactly like that, from Neb. I suspect there are a lot of posters who share this feeling, even if they know they aren't supposed to say it. I do appreciate the honesty, however (but no, it doesn't make me more inclined to engage with that person). There is a saying in conservative circles that i don't use because it's reductive, but it fits in right here, and im sure you've all heard it-

"The right thinks the left is wrong, and the left thinks the right is evil."

And while now is not the most civil time in our country with respect to right or left, the above quoted sentiment fits perfectly into this saying.

Is this the origin of that quote?
i was driving down the road this november eve and spotted a hitchhiker walking down the street. i pulled over and saw that it was only a tree. i uprooted it and put it in my trunk. do trees like marshmallow peeps? cause that's all i have and will have.
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28904 Posts
September 29 2018 13:21 GMT
#3949
I've seen versions of that quote in the norwegian political climate too, especially with regard to immigration/ handling of the refugee crisis. The right wing accuses the left of stupidity and naivete, the left wing accuses the right wing of stupidity and being evil (or greedy, or selfish, or inconsiderate, or morally bankrupt).
Moderator
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
September 29 2018 14:19 GMT
#3950
--- Nuked ---
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12559 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-09-29 14:32:45
September 29 2018 14:29 GMT
#3951
On September 29 2018 14:44 Introvert wrote:
is very concerning and I think I've seen something similar, though not exactly like that, from Neb.


Yeah I wouldn't entirely agree with the statement. I think the republican party is "evil", and by evil I mean ideologically and morally bankrupt - I also believe a lot of what they stand for is reactionary/regressive rather than conservative. But I wouldn't describe all conservative individuals like that. For example in Switzerland the conservatives are much more centrist and starkly contrasted with the far right, in a different party; I have a lot fewer problems with them here.

I guess my main point of contention with conservatism is that I don't think tradition has any value, and that just because things are some way doesn't mean that's the way they should be. But I suspect a lot of conservatives agree, and they believe things should be that way because they've thought about it and they think that's the correct way, rather than just because things happen to be like that right now.

In general I'm not a big fan of the term conservative because it's a little vague regarding policy, I'd rather describe people by what they believe than by a general attitude about reality that requires a context to have meaning. I'm a progressive but I don't think that tells you a lot about me, I'd much rather say I'm a socialist.
No will to live, no wish to die
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
September 29 2018 14:56 GMT
#3952
European conservatives are much different from US conservatives. It’s abit like comparing European and American liberals. The German CDU e.g. is ideologically close to the centrists parts of the Democratic party.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Introvert
Profile Joined April 2011
United States5029 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-09-29 18:50:20
September 29 2018 18:42 GMT
#3953
On September 29 2018 23:29 Nebuchad wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 29 2018 14:44 Introvert wrote:
is very concerning and I think I've seen something similar, though not exactly like that, from Neb.


Yeah I wouldn't entirely agree with the statement. I think the republican party is "evil", and by evil I mean ideologically and morally bankrupt - I also believe a lot of what they stand for is reactionary/regressive rather than conservative. But I wouldn't describe all conservative individuals like that. For example in Switzerland the conservatives are much more centrist and starkly contrasted with the far right, in a different party; I have a lot fewer problems with them here.

I guess my main point of contention with conservatism is that I don't think tradition has any value, and that just because things are some way doesn't mean that's the way they should be. But I suspect a lot of conservatives agree, and they believe things should be that way because they've thought about it and they think that's the correct way, rather than just because things happen to be like that right now.

In general I'm not a big fan of the term conservative because it's a little vague regarding policy, I'd rather describe people by what they believe than by a general attitude about reality that requires a context to have meaning. I'm a progressive but I don't think that tells you a lot about me, I'd much rather say I'm a socialist.


Are you familiar with the idea of Chesterton's Fence? There's a lot of conservatism in that. It's neither a blind acceptance of tradition nor a appeal made to cover an argument. The idea is that maybe certain traditions and norms exist and have persisted all these years for a good reason, and we should be hesitant to throw them out. There is no contradiction, as I've seen you say before. It's purely misunderstanding to say that (American) conservatism is somehow internally inconsistent. Thinking of it as being an attitude however, could very well have some truth to it.

In fact depending on who you ask conservatism isn't an ideology at all. But that's in the weeds. I am more concerned that the feeling that one's opponents either cannot argue in good faith or whose staring point is somehow logically incoherent isn't going to allow one to even hold a conversation.

On September 29 2018 22:21 Liquid`Drone wrote:
I've seen versions of that quote in the norwegian political climate too, especially with regard to immigration/ handling of the refugee crisis. The right wing accuses the left of stupidity and naivete, the left wing accuses the right wing of stupidity and being evil (or greedy, or selfish, or inconsiderate, or morally bankrupt).


And as Tachion reminds us, there was a lot of that "incivility" way before our current moment and way before Donald Trump. Krugman was a respected figure at one time, to certain people.
"But, as the conservative understands it, modification of the rules should always reflect, and never impose, a change in the activities and beliefs of those who are subject to them, and should never on any occasion be so great as to destroy the ensemble."
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
September 29 2018 19:35 GMT
#3954
These political views are not just interpretions of an ambiguous movie or book, they impact people’s lives. The current administration and conservatives are actively trying to screw me and my wife over. And the conservatives I know have always responded to that fact by treating it likes it’s an attack on them, rather than a statement of fact. Or called me hysterical or say im over reacting. It’s haed to have a political discussion when that is so often the default response.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24376 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-09-29 22:09:10
September 29 2018 21:39 GMT
#3955
On September 29 2018 14:10 ChristianS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 29 2018 12:07 GreenHorizons wrote:
On September 29 2018 11:46 ChristianS wrote:
I mean, we've literally got a second politics thread where the most inflammatory posters do most of their posting. Partitioning groups that strongly disagree with each other into separate discussion spaces is basically the definition of an echo chamber.

Just to be clear, by "inflammatory" I don't necessarily mean they post badly, just that their posts tend to literally inflame the thread. Also for the record, I'm not overall opposed to the second thread existing - I think it's allowed some interesting discussion that probably wouldn't take place otherwise - but if you're wondering why things have felt more like echo chamber lately, I think the answer's pretty clear.


It's kinda hard to call the second one an echo chamber when the primary posters have almost entirely different political perspectives (from each other). Besides the posters that the main thread would prefer didn't post, that simply isn't the case there (or won't be once introvert loses interest in entertaining the arguments he gets).

I mostly agree, although obviously moving the inflammatory posts away from the people who are inflamed by them also means those posters aren't getting as much pushback. You can easily get, for instance, an xDaunt post about how corrupt and evil the Obama Justice Department was, followed by a Danglars post mostly in agreement, and maybe a post from you saying it's been a corrupt and evil institution since its inception, which xDaunt mostly treats as agreement. In a case like that the second thread is insulating the conversation from the posters who would defend the Obama Justice Department, or the FBI in general, or at least argue xDaunt's allegations are just unsubstantiated rumor and conspiracy theory.

The absence of liberal posters challenging the claim allows the conversation to progress to, say, you and xDaunt discussing the merits of an advocacy system, which is an interesting discussion that probably wouldn't have happened in the main thread. But I do think the second thread can be insulated from confrontation in the way that we associate with echo chambers.

Again, I don't want this to sound like criticism of the Mega-Blog's existence - I continue to be amazed that the mods allowed it and that it is working as well as it is. It's a very interesting experiment, and as it stands now if I was only going to read one thread it'd probably be the Mega-Blog.


Point taken. My disappointment in the Obama administration overrides any motivation I have left to defend them, which does leave space to discuss/challenge each other on the issues rather than defend politicians and their cynicism.

Technically there's nothing stopping people from objecting to their characterizations of the Obama administration (or whatever else), they just prefer to have the discussions they're having in the mega-thread.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12559 Posts
October 01 2018 14:46 GMT
#3956
On September 30 2018 03:42 Introvert wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 29 2018 23:29 Nebuchad wrote:
On September 29 2018 14:44 Introvert wrote:
is very concerning and I think I've seen something similar, though not exactly like that, from Neb.


Yeah I wouldn't entirely agree with the statement. I think the republican party is "evil", and by evil I mean ideologically and morally bankrupt - I also believe a lot of what they stand for is reactionary/regressive rather than conservative. But I wouldn't describe all conservative individuals like that. For example in Switzerland the conservatives are much more centrist and starkly contrasted with the far right, in a different party; I have a lot fewer problems with them here.

I guess my main point of contention with conservatism is that I don't think tradition has any value, and that just because things are some way doesn't mean that's the way they should be. But I suspect a lot of conservatives agree, and they believe things should be that way because they've thought about it and they think that's the correct way, rather than just because things happen to be like that right now.

In general I'm not a big fan of the term conservative because it's a little vague regarding policy, I'd rather describe people by what they believe than by a general attitude about reality that requires a context to have meaning. I'm a progressive but I don't think that tells you a lot about me, I'd much rather say I'm a socialist.


Are you familiar with the idea of Chesterton's Fence? There's a lot of conservatism in that. It's neither a blind acceptance of tradition nor a appeal made to cover an argument. The idea is that maybe certain traditions and norms exist and have persisted all these years for a good reason, and we should be hesitant to throw them out. There is no contradiction, as I've seen you say before. It's purely misunderstanding to say that (American) conservatism is somehow internally inconsistent. Thinking of it as being an attitude however, could very well have some truth to it.


I mean, I don't think this is incompatible with a progressive approach. The goal isn't to destroy stuff for the sake of it, there's a deconstructive element for sure but you can end up siding with the way things are if that's where your analysis leads you to. "For a good reason" is a bit of a reach in my view on some of the main topics, mainly pertaining to religion and early liberalism (especially the latter).

I don't exactly remember what you're refering to with this contradiction, I'm sorry.
No will to live, no wish to die
iamthedave
Profile Joined February 2011
England2814 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-10-02 11:49:02
October 02 2018 11:05 GMT
#3957
I think it's very possible for Conservative posters to post in good faith.

I simultaneously believe many of the posters in that particular thread deliberately don't do that, and then when called out on it protest vociferously about an echo chamber. I don't think it's an accident that while many people disagree with introvert he doesn't get half the shit other conservative posters do. I've disagreed with some of his assertions re: Kavanaugh but by and large he's stuck to clear, honest arguments based on the fact that not much evidence has turned up yet.

I've no complaints there, and I don't think anyone else can, either.

Danglars swinging in like Errol Flynn with 'this third accusation is bullshit ergo we should ignore the other two' on the other hand, deserves all the approbrium it's getting.

On September 29 2018 14:44 Introvert wrote:
This statement right here though,

Show nested quote +
My personal view is that since the conservative PoV is flawed, not based on empirical data, generally reactionary and even evil etc. that it’s really impossible for a conservative poster to post in “good faith”.


is very concerning and I think I've seen something similar, though not exactly like that, from Neb. I suspect there are a lot of posters who share this feeling, even if they know they aren't supposed to say it. I do appreciate the honesty, however (but no, it doesn't make me more inclined to engage with that person). There is a saying in conservative circles that i don't use because it's reductive, but it fits in right here, and im sure you've all heard it-

"The right thinks the left is wrong, and the left thinks the right is evil."


For the record I don't feel that way, not that I imagine anyone cares. And the quote you finish off with is weird given that the right very clearly thinks that the left is evil as well. I've seen liberalism referred to as a disease, I've heard that all liberals should be killed, and when my stomach has been especially fortified I've even listened to Alex Jones once or twice. I have no patience for the sort of argument that tries to ignore all of the factual behaviour of conservatives in government saying and doing despicable things going back nearly a decade of obstructionist behaviour (that bizarrely has continued even into an administration where they have all the cards).

I mean... kids in camps. You seriously going to tell me that if Obama did that he wouldn't be decried as evil by American conservatives? And if he wasn't, he sure should have been.

The tendency do defend one's own party is overly strong, I think. The only way things are going to get better is if both sides hold their leaders accountable. That may be more pronounced among Conservatives right now because they need to support their party but often don't like Trump, and it's kind of a package deal. I imagine things would be considerably less divisive if Pence were in charge because he's just more defensible as a person.
I'm not bad at Starcraft; I just think winning's rude.
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-10-07 17:43:24
October 07 2018 17:41 GMT
#3958
Just learned of the second politics thread from this one. Cant see how that's a good idea. Theres basically two threads serving the same purpose. If it was restricted to banned people that would make sense and would actually be kind of fun.
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-10-07 18:08:55
October 07 2018 18:08 GMT
#3959
On October 08 2018 02:41 Doodsmack wrote:
Just learned of the second politics thread from this one. Cant see how that's a good idea. Theres basically two threads serving the same purpose. If it was restricted to banned people that would make sense and would actually be kind of fun.


They serve two different purposes. This thread is for discussions which would only serve to further muck up the other thread: Ban discussions, mod discussions, post history, if certain subjects are ok, etc. While the other thread is for the actual political discussions.

For instance: Your post is ok here where you're allowed to discuss other subjects than just strictly politics, but would not have been ok in the other thread.
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12021 Posts
October 07 2018 18:10 GMT
#3960
I think Doodsmack is talking about GreenHorizons blog.
Prev 1 196 197 198 199 200 345 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 58m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 425
ProTech151
UpATreeSC 114
BRAT_OK 104
Railgan 45
MindelVK 23
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 1913
Shuttle 500
Dewaltoss 125
Trap 33
Bale 23
scan(afreeca) 15
Dota 2
XaKoH 577
420jenkins440
Counter-Strike
fl0m3958
Fnx 665
kRYSTAL_27
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3572
Liquid`Hasu507
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1842
FrodaN976
summit1g562
B2W.Neo420
Livibee202
C9.Mang0144
TKL 92
RotterdaM85
ToD79
QueenE77
Mew2King30
JuggernautJason15
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV225
BasetradeTV169
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 9
• Adnapsc2 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 33
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2981
• TFBlade783
Other Games
• Shiphtur1310
• imaqtpie700
• WagamamaTV327
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
4h 58m
Patches Events
20h 58m
The PondCast
1d 14h
INu's Battles
1d 15h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.