• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:55
CEST 03:55
KST 10:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5536 users

[Help] General BW

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-11-09 12:26:21
November 09 2006 10:31 GMT
#1
Hi. I've recently gotten into StarCraft and there seems to be so many things to focus on! My micro is alright (for a newbie), but my macro is all over the place, mostly non-existent. I always forget to expand too.
So naturally, I turn to the Liquid community . Can you give me some tips on how to get better in general, how to remember to keep producing units, build production buildings, etc. other than to practice over and over?
Thanks in advance.

edit: Please don't just say "play lots of games". I realize that I have to do that. But, I was referring to tips on how to remember to macro, expand, etc. better because I always forget. There's got to be a better way than just play over and over, cause I know a lot of people who play a lot but don't know wth they're doing (hence they suck, and even I can beat them).

edit2: if you think that practice, practice, and practice is the only way to go (no shortcuts), please say so. I want to see how many people think that.

edit3: ok, so I posted 2 games that I've played today. Please don't comment on how crappy my friends are... I know they're not that good, but I honestly don't have a replay where I lose... Just try to look at the million things I'm doing wrong. I'm lotus.leaf, btw.

Game before I started practicing against the comp a little:
First Replay
Game after I practiced:
Second Replay

Any constructive criticism would be appreciated

edit4!: if you watched my replay, how was my build order? did I scout too late? what's the one thing I neglected to do during the game that you want to point out? (two's better)
Official Entusman #21
alffla
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Hong Kong20321 Posts
November 09 2006 10:35 GMT
#2
play lots of games
Graphicssavior[gm] : What is a “yawn” rape ;; Masumune - It was the year of the pig for those fucking defilers. Chill - A clinic you say? okum: SC without Korean yelling is like porn without sex. konamix: HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY!
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
November 09 2006 10:36 GMT
#3
On November 09 2006 19:35 alffla wrote:
play lots of games


Other than that. I know I have to do that, but I would like to make my practice sessions more efficient. So I need tips, advices. Thanks
Official Entusman #21
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
November 09 2006 10:44 GMT
#4
infinity21 you can start by not making shitty threads. Otherwise practice a lot, the way to make your practice sessions more efficient is if you know what you have to work on, so work on that. If you have a replay to post, post it in the strategy section.
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
November 09 2006 10:50 GMT
#5
Gee, thanks for the tip -___-;
Is anyone actually interested in helping me, or are you all going to flame me for asking for help?
Official Entusman #21
SCNewb
Profile Joined June 2006
Canada2210 Posts
November 09 2006 10:52 GMT
#6
infinity21 playing a lot of games is the answer. There isn't a shortcut or magic wand to make you good at BW automatically. You already know what your weakness is, so just focus more on it during games, and you will gradually get better. The only advice I'd give is to hotkey your troops and buildings so you can switch back and forth more easily
Huge iloveOov fan
teh leet newb
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States1999 Posts
November 09 2006 10:53 GMT
#7
Play games, watch your replays.
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill
BalloonFight
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
United States2007 Posts
November 09 2006 10:53 GMT
#8
On November 09 2006 19:50 infinity21 wrote:
Gee, thanks for the tip -___-;
Is anyone actually interested in helping me, or are you all going to flame me for asking for help?


Well this type of thread deserves a flame. Theres SO much information on this site, that a simple search should yield everything, or most everything, you need. Read up on the recommended threads, and read Chills (I believe?) general help thread for newbies. Practicing, watching your own reps, and watching reps of pros also is a huge help.
Silver
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
New Zealand379 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-11-09 10:56:47
November 09 2006 10:55 GMT
#9
zulu -__- its a fair question, don't jump on the bandwagon eh?

there are ways to make practice more effective, i'm still learning too, but I found doing one build over and over agaisnt the comuter to be good... i did 9 pool speedlings rush agaist computer protoss... thats good for getting practice with keeping you forces moving while keeping building back home.

good thing with the computer is you can save at the point where you start to have trouble... for me, say it was when my mutas came out and i go to attack... i forget about macroing. so save it before that point and go back and do it over and over untill you get it

another thing to do is to make a map in campain editor that create a huge army and attack moves it towards your base if you go over 500 mins. make it give you at text warning at 400mins. that really makes you keep spending your money

edit: wow, everyone here jumps too much
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-11-09 10:59:11
November 09 2006 10:57 GMT
#10
Thanks StarcraftNewb and teh leet newb. I do hotkey my troops and buildings, but I always forget to use them later on... maybe it's a concentration problem.

Edit: Yay people are responding~ Oh, and I did watch a lot of pro replays. It definitely helped me out.
Official Entusman #21
skyglow1
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
New Zealand3962 Posts
November 09 2006 10:57 GMT
#11
On November 09 2006 19:50 infinity21 wrote:
Gee, thanks for the tip -___-;
Is anyone actually interested in helping me, or are you all going to flame me for asking for help?


It was perfectly good advice, many people follow that method. If you're asking for advice, at least come with an open mind and not reject anything which you don't liek so quickly.
SCNewb
Profile Joined June 2006
Canada2210 Posts
November 09 2006 10:58 GMT
#12
On November 09 2006 19:57 infinity21 wrote:
Thanks StarcraftNewb and teh leet newb. I do hotkey my troops and buildings, but I always forget to use them later on... maybe it's a concentration problem. I might offend some people, but Americans seem a lot nicer than Chinese people... .
Don't flame me for that. It's just a limited and biased observation within this thread.

haha......I am Chinese though........lol
Huge iloveOov fan
Chef
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
10810 Posts
November 09 2006 10:58 GMT
#13
CONSTANT PEON PRODUCTION! =D Make it your only goal for the whole game, the rest will follow. Also, try to accomplish one thing every game, like proper scouting, or proper expanding, good building placement etc, so that you're only focusing on one thing and it's on the tip of your mind. Then, when you've done it successfully, make a new goal, the old goal should still be achieved, without you even thinking much about it.

Try to tap into your cognitive thought all the time though. If you're going through the motions, you're a less active minded player, just hoping your first plan will work.

Good luck, and have fun with this amazing game ^^
LEGEND!! LEGEND!!
lawl mart
Profile Joined April 2006
United States1289 Posts
November 09 2006 11:00 GMT
#14
infinity21 if you want some more on-the-spot help, pm me and i can help ^^
14cc... whats next? women voting?
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
November 09 2006 11:00 GMT
#15
On November 09 2006 19:57 skyglow1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2006 19:50 infinity21 wrote:
Gee, thanks for the tip -___-;
Is anyone actually interested in helping me, or are you all going to flame me for asking for help?


It was perfectly good advice, many people follow that method. If you're asking for advice, at least come with an open mind and not reject anything which you don't liek so quickly.


I'm not rejecting the idea. I recall saying asking for advice "other than to practice over and over".
Official Entusman #21
Sadist
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States7328 Posts
November 09 2006 11:01 GMT
#16
On November 09 2006 19:44 zulu_nation8 wrote:
infinity21 you can start by not making shitty threads. Otherwise practice a lot, the way to make your practice sessions more efficient is if you know what you have to work on, so work on that. If you have a replay to post, post it in the strategy section.


stfu ;d
How do you go from where you are to where you want to be? I think you have to have an enthusiasm for life. You have to have a dream, a goal and you have to be willing to work for it. Jim Valvano
nemY
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States3119 Posts
November 09 2006 11:01 GMT
#17
I'd be happy if I were you, it took me about 1.5 years of playin SC before I realized how bad I actually sucked at it.
Myxomatosis
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States2392 Posts
November 09 2006 11:02 GMT
#18
On November 09 2006 19:50 infinity21 wrote:
Gee, thanks for the tip -___-;
Is anyone actually interested in helping me, or are you all going to flame me for asking for help?

Do you honestly expect anything else when you say: "I am a newb, and I want to get better, what should I do?"

Answer: Play more

Next time at least provide a replay.
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
Last Edited: 2006-11-09 11:07:40
November 09 2006 11:02 GMT
#19
On November 09 2006 20:01 Sadist wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2006 19:44 zulu_nation8 wrote:
infinity21 you can start by not making shitty threads. Otherwise practice a lot, the way to make your practice sessions more efficient is if you know what you have to work on, so work on that. If you have a replay to post, post it in the strategy section.


stfu ;d


you stfu ;D
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
November 09 2006 11:03 GMT
#20
On November 09 2006 19:55 Silver wrote:
zulu -__- its a fair question, don't jump on the bandwagon eh?

there are ways to make practice more effective, i'm still learning too, but I found doing one build over and over agaisnt the comuter to be good... i did 9 pool speedlings rush agaist computer protoss... thats good for getting practice with keeping you forces moving while keeping building back home.

good thing with the computer is you can save at the point where you start to have trouble... for me, say it was when my mutas came out and i go to attack... i forget about macroing. so save it before that point and go back and do it over and over untill you get it

another thing to do is to make a map in campain editor that create a huge army and attack moves it towards your base if you go over 500 mins. make it give you at text warning at 400mins. that really makes you keep spending your money

edit: wow, everyone here jumps too much


dont play vs the computer please
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 5m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 175
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2558
Dota 2
monkeys_forever785
NeuroSwarm188
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe188
Other Games
summit1g7303
Day[9].tv728
Coldzera 620
JimRising 575
C9.Mang0342
PiGStarcraft176
ArmadaUGS48
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick855
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream339
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 117
• davetesta21
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv728
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 5m
Afreeca Starleague
8h 5m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
22h 5m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.