• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:45
CEST 16:45
KST 23:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)46Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8600 users

teach me your ways

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 Next All
imjorman
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States580 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-28 20:52:54
October 28 2011 16:57 GMT
#1
So there is all this talk about how "the new sc2 fans dont understand our history"

Well teach me.

Tell me why this game you all love is so amazing, teach me why flash/bisu/jaedong/boxer were all so amazing.

Show me our favorite vods, tell me why I need to be appreciative. I want to learn.

I've played a few matches on iccup and omg is it hard, and I want to hear about these experiences from a hardened fan.

I want to at least have an understanding of broodwar so I can fully appreciate how far esports has come, so I can understand why a boxer/idea match is amazing, and why flash possibly coming to sc2 is a big deal.

Teach me, as a young sc2 fan who only knows StarCraft as sc2, please teach us all.

edit: Watching these now. OMG OMG OMG OMG is the passion amazing. the casters are awesome, and even though I don't really understand the game, I can kinda begin to understand why you guys care so much.
People who want power shouldn't have it.
BLinD-RawR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
ALLEYCAT BLUES51543 Posts
October 28 2011 16:59 GMT
#2
be specific in what you want to know,I will help you as much as I can.
Brood War EICWoo Jung Ho, never forget.| Twitter: @BLinDRawR
rift
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
1819 Posts
October 28 2011 17:01 GMT
#3
Liquipedia is a good start.
imjorman
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States580 Posts
October 28 2011 17:03 GMT
#4
On October 29 2011 01:59 BLinD-RawR wrote:
be specific in what you want to know,I will help you as much as I can.


In short, everything.

What should a sc2 fan know about the broodwar scene in order to fully apprecciate this great series of games?

If I wanted to learn about flash and jaedong, where should I go?

I really wanted to cleave this thread up to the broodwar community - what do you think a new sc2 fan needs to know.
People who want power shouldn't have it.
LegaCy_
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada75 Posts
October 28 2011 17:09 GMT
#5
Here are some of my favorite VODs on youtube for broodwar. See how much enthusiasm the commentators put into the game, the unparalleled suspense and excitement a certain comeback, rush or moment can give. Anyways I'm not a skilled forum poster but here are some of the moments of broodwar that I loved in the broodwar scene.

PLAGUUU
Boxer's Comeback
Boxer's SCV Rush
STORMUUU
REAVAAAAAA
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
October 28 2011 17:10 GMT
#6
Honestly, my first suggestion is to get your hands on a copy of SC BW and play a few games against the computer, see how hard controlling things is, realize that without automine making workers is even more of a chore, etc. That will give you an appreciation of how difficult BW is on a mechanical level. Then I suggest digging up some english casts of great past games from youtube (I suggest klazart because I enjoyed his casting, but there are others such as cholera and diggity), and watch them. I'm at work so I can't exactly link any VODs/casts right now, but I'm sure someone can. Having English commentary helps in understanding what the heck is going on if you aren't familiar with the game.

You can always read liquipedia for additional information, and IIRC there is a thread with the best game/series ever somewhere in the BW section, I'm sure you could find it with a quick search.
Moderator
Djagulingu
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany3605 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-28 17:19:28
October 28 2011 17:10 GMT
#7
Do you think ZvT is the best matchup in SC2?

Do you like DongRaeGu's ZvT style? Crisp Mutalisk control, fantastic engagements, terran armies disappearing in miliseconds, even the best of the best representatives of Terran race getting trashed? Do you think he's the first to reach the horizon of the matchup?

HELL NO!!!

Meet the guy who created that horizon: Lee Jae Dong



Entertaining cheese? Evil Genius in action? Creativity? Innovation?

Watch this rookie doing all of these on the best ZvTer alive:



Marine micro? Let me serve you:

"windows bash is a steaming heap of shit" tofucake
GeckoVOD
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
Germany814 Posts
October 28 2011 17:18 GMT
#8
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Pimpest_Plays
@DonGeckone on Twitterstuff // JOIN THE YODA FANCLUB OR YOU'RE REALLY REALLY UNCOOL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=398220
Stipulation
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States587 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-28 17:23:01
October 28 2011 17:21 GMT
#9
On October 29 2011 01:57 imjorman wrote:
teach me why flash/bisu/jaedong/boxer were all so amazing.

Were? WERE? I've transitioned to SC2 but that still gets on my nerves like crazy.

Also Check out Day[9]'s earliest dailies. Gives you an idea of where he has come from in two years, and He'll explain the game.
deafhobbit
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States828 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-28 17:34:04
October 28 2011 17:21 GMT
#10
Frankly, I'm pretty new to the BW scene, as i only started watching vods in late 2009. As such, I'm not well equipped to discuss the game's history, but i can point you to some great series that were recently played, in each non-mirror matchup, since just like in Sc2 these tend to be the most interesting. All vods have commentary, and you can find links to the later vods in the series on Youtube.

Jin Air OSL Finals - Fantasy v Jangbi - In the previous OSL, Fantasy won by defeating Jangbi's teammate and fellow Protoss player Stork. Jangbi, after having been in a persistent slump for almost a year, started playing very well toward the end of Proleague, and advanced to the finals of this OSL with a Ro8 win against Flash and a Ro4 win against young ZvP specialist Soo.

Game 1, with commentary from Nukethestars -


Bacchus OSL Semi Finals - Calm vs Fantasy - Another crazy series involving Fantasy, wherein he faces off against solid STX zerg player Calm. Technically speaking, this series sees both players play rather poorly, but it is still tremendously entertaining. The highlight occurs in game 4, where Fantasy goes fast gas, gets 4 pooled, defends, and goes for a unique response.

Game 1, with commentary from Nukethestars -


Bigfile MSL Ro8 - Snow v Jaedong - Jaedong, the reigning king of the zerg, faces off against young CJ protoss Snow, who up to this point had shown amazing PvT and not much else in the other matchups. In game one, Jaedong rolls over him, and everyone expects a 3-0. However, a week later when they return to finish the series, Snow plays the best PvZ of his life, and gives us one of the best series of the season.

Game 2 (skipping game 1, since it's basically a walkover), with commentary from RanshinDA -
I cheer for underdogs and Flash
Condor Hero
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2931 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-28 17:25:09
October 28 2011 17:24 GMT
#11
On October 29 2011 02:03 imjorman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 29 2011 01:59 BLinD-RawR wrote:
be specific in what you want to know,I will help you as much as I can.


In short, everything.

What should a sc2 fan know about the broodwar scene in order to fully apprecciate this great series of games?

If I wanted to learn about flash and jaedong, where should I go?

I really wanted to cleave this thread up to the broodwar community - what do you think a new sc2 fan needs to know.

I don't know if you actually played BW yet, but if you really want to enjoy the VODs you watch, you should try playing it first.
SC2BW (on appropriate settings of course) even if you don't have BW, once you've played a few games I think you can appreciate watching the pros more.
GTR
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
51694 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-28 17:26:40
October 28 2011 17:24 GMT
#12


i actually have subs for this game, but i don't know where i've put them.
Commentator
deafhobbit
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States828 Posts
October 28 2011 17:26 GMT
#13
Guys, when were posting vods for people who haven't watched BW, we really should post them with english commentary. Remember, in all likelihood they've never watched games without it.
I cheer for underdogs and Flash
imjorman
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States580 Posts
October 28 2011 17:30 GMT
#14
On October 29 2011 02:24 Condor Hero wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 29 2011 02:03 imjorman wrote:
On October 29 2011 01:59 BLinD-RawR wrote:
be specific in what you want to know,I will help you as much as I can.


In short, everything.

What should a sc2 fan know about the broodwar scene in order to fully apprecciate this great series of games?

If I wanted to learn about flash and jaedong, where should I go?

I really wanted to cleave this thread up to the broodwar community - what do you think a new sc2 fan needs to know.

I don't know if you actually played BW yet, but if you really want to enjoy the VODs you watch, you should try playing it first.
SC2BW (on appropriate settings of course) even if you don't have BW, once you've played a few games I think you can appreciate watching the pros more.


I have played a few games against the computer. It was hard
People who want power shouldn't have it.
Djagulingu
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany3605 Posts
October 28 2011 17:32 GMT
#15
On October 29 2011 02:24 GTR wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G4xGsbETKU#t=16m0s

i actually have subs for this game, but i don't know where i've put them.

http://www.teamliquid.net/staff/Carnac/Boxer_vs_Joyo_Paradoxxx.smi

I found this when I was looking for subbed BW games.
"windows bash is a steaming heap of shit" tofucake
TheGlassface
Profile Joined November 2010
United States612 Posts
October 28 2011 17:33 GMT
#16
On October 29 2011 02:26 deafhobbit wrote:
Guys, when were posting vods for people who haven't watched BW, we really should post them with english commentary. Remember, in all likelihood they've never watched games without it.


F that noise.
Korean commentary or go home!
The mystery of life is not a problem to solve, but a reality to experience. **Hang in there STX fans!! Kal Hwaiting!**
Djagulingu
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany3605 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-28 17:37:37
October 28 2011 17:36 GMT
#17








Some english subbed games. BW without korean commentary just doesn't satisfy me.
"windows bash is a steaming heap of shit" tofucake
BLinD-RawR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
ALLEYCAT BLUES51543 Posts
October 28 2011 17:37 GMT
#18
TSL 1 and 2 would be a good place for you to start watching vods for BW. TSL2 playlist is on the YouTube channel nevake along with most vods in BW history.
Brood War EICWoo Jung Ho, never forget.| Twitter: @BLinDRawR
stevewch
Profile Joined February 2006
Hong Kong216 Posts
October 28 2011 17:39 GMT
#19
i dont know what i can tell you but i'll share some of my favourite vods and see if u are amazed by them...



though it has such a bad quality, it think it is the best SC video i have seen
it clearly demonstrates why starcraft is an art, why it is superior to other games.



goon vs vul + tank, this is a must in bw pvt, and sometimes it can be so epic, just like this one.



my idol reach great storm against flash, nice storm+nice flank



an of cuz this one is probably the most epic moment in foreign sc scene... nony vs idra. great storm
SC forever!
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
October 28 2011 17:40 GMT
#20
On October 29 2011 02:30 imjorman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 29 2011 02:24 Condor Hero wrote:
On October 29 2011 02:03 imjorman wrote:
On October 29 2011 01:59 BLinD-RawR wrote:
be specific in what you want to know,I will help you as much as I can.


In short, everything.

What should a sc2 fan know about the broodwar scene in order to fully apprecciate this great series of games?

If I wanted to learn about flash and jaedong, where should I go?

I really wanted to cleave this thread up to the broodwar community - what do you think a new sc2 fan needs to know.

I don't know if you actually played BW yet, but if you really want to enjoy the VODs you watch, you should try playing it first.
SC2BW (on appropriate settings of course) even if you don't have BW, once you've played a few games I think you can appreciate watching the pros more.


I have played a few games against the computer. It was hard

Maybe try the campaign before. I's nice, and more progressive. The computer is not that hard, but you need to know what you're doing to beat him. He also only has two strat per race, except for terran, just one.
It's almost impossible to go play 1v1 on iCCup without having watched progames/replays/read liquipedia though.
For watching, it all depends on your tastes. BW has inspired cheese, long macro games, epic comebacks, odd strat not making sense, micro moments, harass heavy games, well, you name it, it exists.
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
1 2 3 4 5 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
IntoTheiNu 1333
ComeBackTV 502
SteadfastSC431
TaKeTV 354
LamboSC2280
IndyStarCraft 142
Rex136
EnkiAlexander 56
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy26
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 431
LamboSC2 280
ProTech145
IndyStarCraft 142
Rex 136
BRAT_OK 64
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 40662
Shuttle 2525
Horang2 923
EffOrt 908
Light 874
Mini 789
Soma 397
BeSt 330
Stork 325
firebathero 317
[ Show more ]
Rush 266
Hyuk 241
Snow 240
ZerO 217
ggaemo 175
Leta 102
Pusan 84
hero 80
Killer 62
Sea.KH 60
Sharp 47
sorry 39
Shinee 35
Mind 35
ToSsGirL 31
Mong 29
Bale 28
Shine 27
Aegong 25
soO 23
Sexy 23
Trap 22
Terrorterran 19
Free 15
NotJumperer 11
Sacsri 9
JulyZerg 9
zelot 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc8899
Dendi904
qojqva789
Fuzer 178
420jenkins146
Counter-Strike
markeloff166
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2005
crisheroes1227
XaKoH 194
Other Games
singsing1962
B2W.Neo951
Hui .193
Liquid`VortiX179
ArmadaUGS149
QueenE104
Mew2King101
ZerO(Twitch)20
Railgan17
Trikslyr2
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream98
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 5
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Gemini_19 10
• mYiSmile18
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• intothetv
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• HerbMon 3
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 2049
League of Legends
• Nemesis2885
• Jankos2419
• TFBlade901
Other Games
• WagamamaTV182
Upcoming Events
OSC
9h 15m
Stellar Fest
22h 15m
OSC
1d 7h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 19h
Online Event
1d 20h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.