• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:03
CEST 07:03
KST 14:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6212 users

TeamLiquid, meet Nal_rA

Forum Index > Articles
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-10-25 05:43:20
October 25 2004 04:03 GMT
#1
[image loading]

*Photo credit goes to Emlary's Photo Gallery

Again through the generosity of ujhoo, our resident insider in the Korean pro-gaming scene, teamliquid.net once again has been granted access to the best of the StarCraft world. This time the Sun God himself, Nal_rA, sat down with uhjoo and I for a chat about StarCraft and its current position in Korea.

Before I start, I have to once again express my gratitude to uhjoo for his time and work on this interview. Without him, none of this is possible. In addition, as I had exactly five minutes to prepare for this one, a thanks to FakeSteve is in order, as he helped me come up with some on the spot questions. Nal_rA was in the midst of practicing and it was very generous of him to spare some of his time to meet with us.

Manifesto7: Hi

Nal_rA: Hi ^^;

Manifesto7: To get started, can I get you age and name please?

Nal_rA: My name is KANG Min (last name first), and I will turn 23 this year. [A note: this is in Korean age, which is one year ahead of the British calendar, so he will be 22 soon.]

Manifesto7: To start off, the biggest characteristic of your game that people comment on is your creativity. Does this come from playing protoss?

Nal_rA: There is some truth to that. With protoss, it is not as easy to see high tech units being used often in the game, so when I use those units as central to my strategies, I think this is part of the reason I get those compliments.

Manifesto7: On our site, teamliquid.net, you have been called the “Boxer of Protoss”. You just finished playing him in KT-KTF, can you give me your comments?

Nal_rA: Well, I don’t usually concern myself with the nicknames and opinions of the fans, because it is fully their right as fans to make them. As for the game against Boxer, I did not play with enough mental control and I would have won if I had played with less emotion and a calm demeanor. However, Boxer also played well which was part of it. But I am sure there will be more chances in the future to play against him, and when we meet again, I am positive I will win.

Manifesto7: When you look back, what do you consider you favorite TV game?

Nal_rA: I have been asked that question many times, and it is hard for me to answer because I remember all my games very well, even games from two years ago. However, if I had to pick, my recent game against Lee Byung-Min (GoodFriend) on Parallel Lines was very memorable.

Manifesto7: That was a great game

Nal_rA: Thanks ^^;

Manifesto7: When you lose a game, how do you analyze the loss?

Nal_rA: Well I don’t look for anything specific. Instead, I watch the replay for my opponent’s build and overall gameplay for what I did wrong and how I lost. Once I know what I did wrong, I watch the game again keeping my mistakes in mind.

Manifesto7: Now that you have had success in StarCraft, what parts of your life have changed?

Nal_rA: I think it is too early to say that I have had success in StarCraft. But overall there haven’t been a lot of major changes in my life except that I have a salary now. Because of this, I have some more freedom and “breathing space” in various facets of my life and that’s probably the most important change.

[image loading]


Manifesto7: What about being noticed on the street, or when the girls in the studio yell to you?

Nal_rA: Well, in the studio, most of the girls yell “Kang Min Fighting” or “Kang Min is the best!” When I get noticed on the street, I definitely feel good. In the past, many people had a bad impression of the gaming culture in Korea, but now people are starting to see games in a more positive light. When people recognize me on the street, that shows that gaming is popular and more accepted, which makes me feel happy.

Manifesto7: What do you attribute this change in attitude towards gaming? Is it the increase of corporate sponsors or the longevity of the game?

Nal_rA: I think that the sponsors have had a big impact, and it really shows the power of advertising. At first, many people could not imagine that anyone could make a salary from gaming, but obviously now it is true they can. It is now up to the pro-gamers like myself to maintain and increase the popularity of gaming as a legitimate sport.

Manifesto7: How long do you see StarCraft lasting as a game in its current form?

Nal_rA: Well from a couple of years ago there was a lot of talk that it would die. However, it is even more popular than it was then. Even if there is an end to this game some day, it will be replaced by another game that will come along.

Manifesto7: So what is your favorite and least favorite match-up to play?

Nal_rA: It really depends on the map, I don’t have a favorite.

Manifesto7: Well what match-up makes you the most satisfied or happy when you win?

Nal_rA: Haha, I don’t have any preferences like that. I am just happy to win. I get the same enjoyment whether I am killing a Zerg or a Terran. ^^;

Manifesto7: Who in the scene do you think has the best macro/micro?

Nal_rA: It is a really tough question, because everyone now is very good at both, so it is difficult to measure. The main difference between progamers is their mental fortitude. There are many factors in this, but I think that inner confidence and determination are the most important.

Manifeto7: Do you know much about gamers outside Korea?

Nal_rA: I hardly know any foreign players, just the ones like Elky or Grr… that played here.

Manifesto7: What makes you different from other protoss players?

Nal_rA: Well… I think that because I use builds and plays that are not common to other protoss players, people make that kind of judgment about me.

Manifesto7: Of all the maps that you play on, which television map would you like to see gone from a league?

Nal_rA: Haha, if I thought that way there would be too many maps to choose from. But because we are professionals, we are responsible for adjusting to whatever maps we have to play on. There are a lot of maps that I might think have some bad points, but I have never thought that any of them should be removed, or that maps that favor my style of play should be added. We are professionals, after all.

Manifesto7: Some people have observed that your hand speed has gotten much faster than in the past. Was this a conscious decision or just a result of play and practice?

Nal_rA: It was not really a conscious decision, but I think that through practicing I became much faster. Even in the past, my hand speed was much faster in important moments because naturally there was more micro to perform. However, in the end I don’t think hand speed is so important.

Manifesto7: Any advice for people that want to be progamers?

Nal_rA: For those people who want to be pros, don’t trust only what you see on the outside. This is a really difficult profession, and I have seen many people quit halfway through. Everytime I see that I really feel bad for those people. But, if you are confident, and you don’t think you will regret your decision, then you should go for it.

Manifesto7: Thank you very much Nal_Ra

Nal_rA: Thanks Manifesto7 Bye~^^;

Manifesto7: Bye~

As well as the thanks above, another should go out to the GO team coach who managed to rip Nal_rA away from his practice over at KTF. My impression of Nal_rA compared to ForU was that he was much more polished with his answers and it was harder to get him to be candid. I attribute this to a couple things; firstly my lack of preparation, and secondly the fact that he has done so many interviews in the past, so it is hard to ask something he doesn’t already have an answer for. Additionally our method of interviewing was pretty clumsy, so hopefully it is something we can improve on.

Lastly, as this forum is the primary populace that the interview was written for, I want you to have some input, so check out this thread.

Cheers,
Mani~
ModeratorGodfather
KiLLme1st
Profile Joined December 2003
United States1824 Posts
October 25 2004 04:10 GMT
#2
Mani, Fakesteve, uhjoo much <3! Great interview guys glad to see things like this developing for TL.net!
CAPSLOCK IS AUTOPILOT FOR COOL
Orome
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Switzerland11984 Posts
October 25 2004 04:11 GMT
#3
Wow O_O Tl.net is crazy lately. First ForU, now Nal_Ra, next Boxer ?

Great interview, thx
On a purely personal note, I'd like to show Yellow the beauty of infinitely repeating Starcraft 2 bunkers. -Boxer
Yksethni
Profile Joined July 2004
United States220 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-10-25 04:18:57
October 25 2004 04:18 GMT
#4
Excellent job


Manifesto7: Now that you have had success in StarCraft, what parts of your life have changed?

Nal_Ra: I think it is too early to say that I have had success in StarCraft.


As a Ra fan, the above comment gives me hope that his best is yet to come
Every heart to love will come, but like a refugee.
Ghardo
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
Germany1685 Posts
October 25 2004 04:21 GMT
#5
great interview guys and special thanks to uhjoo. man, I could almost be jealous that you got such good connections to the pro-gaming world, hope you'll continue to let us have an insight into it.
ApollyoN
Profile Joined April 2003
United States1297 Posts
October 25 2004 04:24 GMT
#6
cool =]
Caterpiller
Profile Joined June 2003
Sweden119 Posts
October 25 2004 04:24 GMT
#7
awesome work!
cRAp!!!!
Twitt
Profile Joined December 2003
United States733 Posts
October 25 2004 04:24 GMT
#8
I'm going ot change my favorite 5 non staff members and nominate uhjoo for all 5.
MAN CLAN FIGHTING INDEED!~
juSblazin
Profile Joined August 2004
United States691 Posts
October 25 2004 04:25 GMT
#9
Kang Min Fighting~
Refrain[FriZ]
Profile Joined June 2003
Canada4337 Posts
October 25 2004 04:28 GMT
#10
nice but nal_ra didn't say anything very specific!! dodger!
ChApFoU
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
France2984 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-10-25 04:28:34
October 25 2004 04:28 GMT
#11
wow, interview with Ra !! nice job, TLnet is definitely going the right way, thx and keep up the good work ! Ra looks very mature and the way he sees the game shows he is truly a pro, always kind of weird for us amateur ^_^ but indeed a very interesting point of view.
"I honestly think that whoever invented toilet paper in a genius" Kang Min
-DaJ-
Profile Joined April 2004
Switzerland539 Posts
October 25 2004 04:34 GMT
#12
very good work.^0^;;
but the interview with foru was def. better. nal_ra is very professional doesnt give away any secrets or make any statements. he didnt answer best micro/macro player, map removal wasnt answered..... hes a real professional!
Dear God, my brilliance is becoming a bit of a burden.
FakeSteve[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Valhalla18444 Posts
October 25 2004 04:37 GMT
#13
Keep your pants on kids... More to come in the future
Moderatormy tatsu loops r fuckin nice
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
October 25 2004 04:38 GMT
#14
nal ra my hero go
Veigh
Profile Joined November 2003
Netherlands300 Posts
October 25 2004 04:44 GMT
#15
Wow, hot shit!
And you can't blame him for giving superficial answers....when I was in his position, I would be more interested in screaming Korean fans then a bunch of foreigners that don't really matter in his opinion
Mirror matchups are imbalanced by definition
cYaN
Profile Joined May 2004
Norway3322 Posts
October 25 2004 04:49 GMT
#16
great work.
i also found ra's answers to be kind of vague and neutral.
maybe he just don't want to offend anyone...
SweeTLemonS[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
11739 Posts
October 25 2004 05:07 GMT
#17
So, what's the score between TL and SCG? It's gotta be like 10-0, by now.

Nice interview. It's always interesting to see into the progaming world a little bit. Many thanks to Uhjoo for translating, and to Manifesto, and Nal_rA for doing this all.
I'm never gonna know you now \ But I'm gonna love you anyhow.
IcedEarth
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States3661 Posts
October 25 2004 05:12 GMT
#18
MANI
Guardian guardian guardian of the blind
karelen
Profile Joined October 2003
Sweden2407 Posts
October 25 2004 05:14 GMT
#19
very nice read, i did like the foru interview a bit more though, mostly because he was more open in his answers. shame you didnt have time to prepare a bit more. still a classic
zzzzzz
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
October 25 2004 05:24 GMT
#20
Good Job guys (especially Uhjoo for translations).

Ra Ra Ra
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 57m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft401
RuFF_SC2 184
Nina 93
-ZergGirl 69
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2038
sorry 42
Bale 23
910 20
yabsab 14
ZergMaN 9
Icarus 8
NotJumperer 7
Dota 2
LuMiX1
League of Legends
JimRising 659
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1122
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox814
Other Games
summit1g7971
WinterStarcraft353
C9.Mang0265
Livibee161
Sick141
Maynarde124
ViBE81
ArmadaUGS36
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick683
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream183
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2242
League of Legends
• Stunt400
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
5h 57m
Stellar Fest
7h 57m
The PondCast
1d 4h
OSC
1d 7h
Stellar Fest
1d 7h
OSC
1d 18h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.