• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:19
CEST 00:19
KST 07:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9200 users

Shogun: Total War 2

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 26 27 28 Next All
Gryffindor_us
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
United States5606 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-26 02:21:34
November 19 2010 11:48 GMT
#1
Shogun: Total War 2

[image loading]

So, I didn't see anything yet about this so I decided we needed a thread!

I actually just recently heard about this from my friend. I've been a fan of Creative Assembly's TW series since the original Shogun and I have to say it played a large part in the formation of my RTS years growing up along with Brood War. I used to go to my friends house who had a computer that could play it and I would just play away when he was done! I've always thought that Shogun was my favorite if it had Rome's engine and now it's going to be even better. Unfortunately, I did not like Empire as much as I anticipated. Though, not because it's not a good game, but because I dislike gunpowder warfare. In Shogun you had gunpowder units but they could be utterly destroyed by warrior monks and they were fairly late and carried their own religious penalty typically. Anyway, enough of my rant about TW.

Honestly, the graphical update is nice but what I'm actually the most excited about is the integration of Rome+ MTW + Empire mechanics.

Without further ado, a litany of videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlMkME4bSeM&feature=fvst


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1jeeA3ahcg&feature=fvst


Cool assassination video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ld8xfDWv74


And the most important:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtsX3bXLEGE

At this point it's officially set to release on 15 March 2011.

Demo download page

Demo mod with several different clans unlocked + other goodies


Remember 11-12-04. 이윤열 ~. |||| ZerO, IriS, JangBi, Stork, BackHo! Mah Jae Yoon is no longer a feared entity.
jtype
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
England2167 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-19 12:29:01
November 19 2010 11:57 GMT
#2
Yea, I'm really looking forward to this as Shogun is easily my favourite of the Total War series. I'm hoping this will be somewhat of a return to forum for CA as their recent releases didn't quite engage me as much as I hoped.

I always enjoyed the simplicity of the Shogun map and environment, I feel that was the games strength that the subsequent games lost in some ways.

Always loved the little cut-scenes they had for the assassinations (both failed and successful) and I'm really glad to see them return.
DannyJ
Profile Joined March 2010
United States5110 Posts
November 19 2010 12:05 GMT
#3
I just hope this game doesn't melt my comp like Empire did.
Runsta
Profile Joined March 2008
United States161 Posts
November 19 2010 12:07 GMT
#4
Wow, after watching these trailers I'm pumped. This game is going to be awesome. Never played shogun, but Rome was awesome, and i hated empire, so glad to see a return to melee. Can't wait.
Latham
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
9592 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-19 13:24:21
November 19 2010 13:23 GMT
#5
Yeah, I'm gonna keep my eye on this. I'm still playing Medieval II to this very day (although modded ;d Stainless Steel 6.3 FTW~!).
The videos don't reveal much, so I'll keep my judgement reserved for now. I didn't get Empire and Napoleon (because I didn't like the time line), but I heard their games are becoming less and less mod-able.
For the curse of life is the curse of want. PC = https://be.pcpartpicker.com/user/LathamTK/builds/#view=CrqmP6
Selemender
Profile Joined May 2010
Netherlands54 Posts
November 19 2010 13:40 GMT
#6
One on the few games I'm really looking forward to! Played RTW a lot and I hope this game can at least be just as good. Haven't really tried the mods tbh, spent to much time in one campaign play through.
DannyJ
Profile Joined March 2010
United States5110 Posts
November 19 2010 13:47 GMT
#7
Does RTW even have mods?
Latham
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
9592 Posts
November 19 2010 13:51 GMT
#8
On November 19 2010 22:47 DannyJ wrote:
Does RTW even have mods?


Yeah Rome has mods. I didn't personally try out any of them, but I heard some of them are great.
For the curse of life is the curse of want. PC = https://be.pcpartpicker.com/user/LathamTK/builds/#view=CrqmP6
Lucumo
Profile Joined January 2010
6850 Posts
November 19 2010 14:12 GMT
#9
On November 19 2010 20:57 jtype wrote:
Yea, I'm really looking forward to this as Shogun is easily my favourite of the Total War series. I'm hoping this will be somewhat of a return to forum for CA as their recent releases didn't quite engage me as much as I hoped.

I always enjoyed the simplicity of the Shogun map and environment, I feel that was the games strength that the subsequent games lost in some ways.

Always loved the little cut-scenes they had for the assassinations (both failed and successful) and I'm really glad to see them return.

Pretty much this, but I wonder why the map looks this weird. And why are units unnecessary animated on the map?

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

^ Was good enough in my opinion.

The cutscenes were awesome, that's why I wondered why this one looked so bad. I mean, why would a ninja take that way...through the whole camp?

+ Show Spoiler +

That's the way it's supposed to be, no useless comedy -.-
Sm3agol
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States2055 Posts
November 19 2010 14:21 GMT
#10
I loved Rome total war, bot none of the ones after that were engaging to me in any way whatsoever....mostly because of the AI. Rome could be annoying too in that respect, but it still felt mildly realistic. The medieval tws and empire, etc, just had horrific campaign AI, plus it was needlessly complicated. And by complicated, i don't mean hard, or deep. I just mean stupid crap. All the dumb diplomacy "options" you had that were useless 95% of the time anyways, because the fighting AI was so terrid you could rape any army you faced with the same setups, making peaceful diplomacy worthless. Not that you could go the peaceful route even if you tried, thanks once again to the terrible campaign AI.
GGTeMpLaR
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States7226 Posts
November 19 2010 14:24 GMT
#11
been excited for this game ever since they announced it

Rome was my favorite, Medieval 2 and Empire were ok, but I didn't even bother getting Napoleon

this however, has potential to be the best game in the series
DannyJ
Profile Joined March 2010
United States5110 Posts
November 19 2010 22:00 GMT
#12
On November 19 2010 22:51 Latham wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2010 22:47 DannyJ wrote:
Does RTW even have mods?


Yeah Rome has mods. I didn't personally try out any of them, but I heard some of them are great.



Er, crap, I meant to say ETW
Celadan
Profile Joined September 2010
Norway471 Posts
November 19 2010 22:08 GMT
#13
hmm this looks fairly interesting, might even top the total war series.
Time will show
спеціальна Тактика
andrewlt
Profile Joined August 2009
United States7702 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-19 22:28:44
November 19 2010 22:25 GMT
#14
The first Shogun was the best. Then they started adding more and more features they couldn't balance nor implement properly nor get the AI to properly use. The series also became more and more buggy and had too many technical issues. Not to mention they started making really gross historical errors starting with Rome (completely anachronistic Egyptians, overpowered cavalry and underpowered phalanx units).

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game because it seems like they're going back to their roots and cutting out a lot of extraneous features. I heard they're also going back to handcrafted maps for tactical battles. The randomly generated ones starting from Rome sucked because they were mostly flatland. Shogun was the best game in terms of having to use terrain advantages.

I'm also hoping for better diplomacy this time around. CA artificially made previous games harder by making the AIs gang up on the player to hide their weaknesses. I believe the AI were hard-coded to have someone declare war on the player if the player was at peace with everybody. So no matter how peaceful and friendly you were, somebody is bound to declare war on you if you're not at way with anybody at the time.
GGTeMpLaR
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States7226 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-13 14:56:00
January 13 2011 14:55 GMT
#15
new video



also, here's a leaked cinematic that is pretty amazing that is probably going to be the main cinematic for starting up the game

http://www.wat.tv/video/total-war-shogun-duel-sous-neige-3983l_3981x_.html
matko5
Profile Joined April 2010
Croatia385 Posts
January 13 2011 15:15 GMT
#16
i'm hoping for a Shogun: Total War with better graphics

actually, i'd still be playing the original if the camera we're so iritating to me right now
Disi gazda
jtype
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
England2167 Posts
January 13 2011 17:40 GMT
#17
Thanks for posting up those vids GGTeMpLaR! Very nice.

Although, I'm pretty sure they got the labels for "Real-Time Battles" and "Turn-Based Campaign Map" the wrong way round.
Divine-Sneaker
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark1225 Posts
January 21 2011 11:12 GMT
#18
Looking a lot forward to this game.
I was so young I didn't jack shit about what I was doing when playing the original Shogun:TW, but regardless I still found it fun as my first timebased RTS(apart from HMM, which really is less of an RTS).
Haemonculus
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States6980 Posts
January 21 2011 21:04 GMT
#19
i'm crazy psyched for this game, though I would have preferred Rome II simply because I'm more fond of the era/culture.

That being said, all the new features in this game look awesome!
I admire your commitment to being *very* oily
TigerKarl
Profile Joined November 2010
1757 Posts
February 06 2011 21:29 GMT
#20
This will make me play less Starcraft 2! It's going to be so mindfucking nice. I thin probably playable even without mods this time! NICE
1 2 3 4 5 26 27 28 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O145
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason113
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 1003
ZZZero.O 145
Bale 21
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm72
League of Legends
Doublelift4632
JimRising 600
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6061
Other Games
summit1g8952
FrodaN3145
KnowMe228
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1225
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 31
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1143
• Shiphtur196
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
41m
Afreeca Starleague
11h 41m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
12h 41m
Monday Night Weeklies
17h 41m
Replay Cast
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d 11h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 12h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.