• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:52
CEST 14:52
KST 21:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9154 users

Magic: The Gathering

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 663 664 665 Next
mishimaBeef
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada2259 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-14 02:06:42
September 22 2010 15:15 GMT
#1
Hey, I used to play magic a few years back and it was really fun. I just reviewed the magic online game which I remember came out several years ago.

Was wondering if anyone played magic (tournaments, casual, etc.) and what are your thoughts on the online version of play vs the paper version?

EDIT:

the rumor mill - information on upcoming products
http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

free and simple online drafting
http://draft.bestiaire.org/

free online tournament magic
http://www.magic-league.com/

high quality articles about magic (and strategy)
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Default.aspx
http://www.starcitygames.com/
http://www.channelfireball.com/
http://www.blackborder.com/

information on sets&rarities
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/

information on misprints
http://squt.tripod.com/MainError.html

official card database
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx
Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Glull
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Germany404 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-22 15:23:36
September 22 2010 15:22 GMT
#2
if you want to play recent sets and enjoy limited, mtgo is certainly an option - for constructed i wouldnt really recommend it. but limited is quite good there.

for me personally it was never that appealing since i like actually sitting across the table of the guy im playing against and playing with actual cards instead of paying similar amounts to just have their digital counterparts.
also, many old cards or funky formats are very much impossible to play/get on mtgo, and i do enjoy edh and highlander a lot.

if you just want a way to play magic on the internet, i suggest you check out www.magic-league.com , its essentially the iccup of magic
Glull
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Germany404 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-22 15:23:29
September 22 2010 15:23 GMT
#3
woops, wanted to edit ;s
clusen
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany8702 Posts
September 22 2010 15:26 GMT
#4
Magic was really great back in the days. But the fifth edition was the last one that was good, afterwards it became crap imo.

I was playing chess only because of Magic during that time because nearly everyone at tournaments was playing Magic aswell :p

I even had way more than 1k$ worth of cards, but they were stolen and then I stopped.

I don't know about the online edition, but there is a game for pc which is really really old, has all the old cards, is playable online and you can download it for free because it is abandonware, atleast home of the underdogs hosted it for quite some time.
Here's the link
You just need manalink to play online.

My brother always refused to play vs me though because I love builds involving stuff like Kismet, Library of Leng, Stasis and such. Much more fun to win that way!
Mogwai
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States13274 Posts
September 22 2010 15:33 GMT
#5
I was a tourney player. When I left CMU and no longer had access to a consistent competitive draft group I transitioned to Magic Online. If you're a draft junkie, it'll let you get your fix of drafting, but the convenience is a little dangerous. I was a lot better than the average joe online so I ended up not paying too much to keep drafting, but it was a reasonably large time sink. Then they announced that they were removing combat damage stacking and I quit the game for good.

Essentially, you get to play magic online... You'll miss futzing around with your cards and trying to read your opponent and the physical actions of tapping and untapping, but the core play is done very well and there are no awkward "JUDGE!" moments because the program simply knows how everything should work.
mogwaismusings.wordpress.com
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-22 15:42:27
September 22 2010 15:35 GMT
#6
On September 23 2010 00:33 Mogwai wrote:
I was a tourney player. When I left CMU and no longer had access to a consistent competitive draft group I transitioned to Magic Online. If you're a draft junkie, it'll let you get your fix of drafting, but the convenience is a little dangerous. I was a lot better than the average joe online so I ended up not paying too much to keep drafting, but it was a reasonably large time sink. Then they announced that they were removing combat damage stacking and I quit the game for good.

Essentially, you get to play magic online... You'll miss futzing around with your cards and trying to read your opponent and the physical actions of tapping and untapping, but the core play is done very well and there are no awkward "JUDGE!" moments because the program simply knows how everything should work.

That's around when I quit as well, but I've been playing a bit recently, and I've found it's surprisingly not as relevant as it sounds. It's barely relevant at all in constructed (since when do people block these days in constructed? ), and in limited, it largely ends up altering card evaluations as far as what can and can't 2-for-1.

EDIT: On topic, I agree with Mogwai that MTGO is best suited for drafting. Constructed magic is probably best practiced with someone you can play with in person, but MTGO helps get around the usual barrier for Limited, which is that unless you have a store or club nearby, getting the minimum number of people for a draft is sometimes difficult.
Moderator
myopia
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2928 Posts
September 22 2010 15:39 GMT
#7
Without the interaction with other people, MtG makes for a really boring video game. (My brother used to play it all the time though, so it must have some qualities that don't appeal to me.)
it's my first day
Yammiez
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada186 Posts
September 22 2010 15:48 GMT
#8
I played a bit of Magic Online back when I could just sit and trade all day and actually make a (not that great) profit. Comparing the old tournament experience with the online version, imagine that your playing while calling out every single rules step as you go along, no matter how simple. There are certainly convenience features to help out, but depending on the seriousness of your play, it can be pretty annoying.

What I'm trying to point out is.... If you're in a casual tournament with friends, or something small at the local store, you can always get away with stuff like... "I'm declaring blockers like this... Wait wait liek this (nearly a split second later)." Every acknowledgment you click is final, and misclicks can really ruin your day if you're bad with things like that.

Also, depending on your opponent, it might be a hassle running recursion decks because you have a turn clock (much like chess), and there is no verbal declaration like "I'm going to repeat this cycle 10000000 times, do you agree?"
Smash fear, learn anything; except for spiders
Mogwai
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States13274 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-22 15:49:21
September 22 2010 15:48 GMT
#9
On September 23 2010 00:35 TheYango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 23 2010 00:33 Mogwai wrote:
I was a tourney player. When I left CMU and no longer had access to a consistent competitive draft group I transitioned to Magic Online. If you're a draft junkie, it'll let you get your fix of drafting, but the convenience is a little dangerous. I was a lot better than the average joe online so I ended up not paying too much to keep drafting, but it was a reasonably large time sink. Then they announced that they were removing combat damage stacking and I quit the game for good.

Essentially, you get to play magic online... You'll miss futzing around with your cards and trying to read your opponent and the physical actions of tapping and untapping, but the core play is done very well and there are no awkward "JUDGE!" moments because the program simply knows how everything should work.

That's around when I quit as well, but I've been playing a bit recently, and I've found it's surprisingly not as relevant as it sounds. It's barely relevant at all in constructed (since when do people block these days in constructed? ), and in limited, it largely ends up altering card evaluations as far as what can and can't 2-for-1.

I really really hate how it changes the dynamics of bounce and pump in limited. I mean, it basically just took removal (already too strong in limited) and made it stronger. And then my housemates were dicking around with an 11th edition draft and they told me they brought lightning bolt back... Wow, great, bring back an already borderline OP card that's of a type that just got buffed in draft.

uhg whatever, I understand that it's not the end of the world, but I was already getting fed up with the game and the direction Wizards was taking with it. Those stupid giant guys who make you sacrifice X permanents when they attack and are indestructible, more retarded planeswalkers, meh, it's just not something I'm interested in. There's a difference between spicing stuff up and keeping the game interesting and changing it so much that it loses its identity. I feel like magic was moving towards the latter.

EDIT: and to be clear, the only balance I ever cared about was limited. constructed was really a terrible tournament scene IMO.
mogwaismusings.wordpress.com
kuresuti
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
1393 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-22 15:55:36
September 22 2010 15:49 GMT
#10
On September 23 2010 00:39 myopia wrote:
Without the interaction with other people, MtG makes for a really boring video game. (My brother used to play it all the time though, so it must have some qualities that don't appeal to me.)


Playing online is interacting.

EDIT: Magic Workstation is free to use and there are some people playing there. Perhaps not the greatest of opponents, but playable most of the time. Many online magic communities use Magic Workstation in the tourneys and stuff, so you can get some good competition there.

I like MWS very much for constructed since you can mass games and everyone seems to play the flavor of the month. You can get some good ideas what to watch out for if you're testing a deck. Like when Eldrazi came everyone seemed to play Show and Tell/Reanimator Legacy decks on MWS.
thundertoss
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1166 Posts
September 22 2010 15:56 GMT
#11
Haxorz was actually streaming MTGO and doing some tournaments....
Underneath David Kims banelings is another control group of banelings.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
September 22 2010 15:59 GMT
#12
On September 23 2010 00:48 Mogwai wrote:
I really really hate how it changes the dynamics of bounce and pump in limited. I mean, it basically just took removal (already too strong in limited) and made it stronger. And then my housemates were dicking around with an 11th edition draft and they told me they brought lightning bolt back... Wow, great, bring back an already borderline OP card that's of a type that just got buffed in draft.

Fair enough. Though, to be frank, who ever took core set drafts seriously?

On September 23 2010 00:48 Mogwai wrote:
uhg whatever, I understand that it's not the end of the world, but I was already getting fed up with the game and the direction Wizards was taking with it. Those stupid giant guys who make you sacrifice X permanents when they attack and are indestructible, more retarded planeswalkers, meh, it's just not something I'm interested in. There's a difference between spicing stuff up and keeping the game interesting and changing it so much that it loses its identity. I feel like magic was moving towards the latter.

EDIT: and to be clear, the only balance I ever cared about was limited. constructed was really a terrible tournament scene IMO.

I guess I do agree with all this as well, though, as silly as "those stupid giant guys who make you sacrifice X permanents when they attack" look, I'm told by people more experienced than I am that Rise of the Eldrazi draft is the best limited format in years.
Moderator
Zanzabar Haberdasher
Profile Joined July 2010
United States510 Posts
September 22 2010 15:59 GMT
#13
I play online every so often. It’s really great, as I’ve had a thing for drafting since I was very young. Fairly competitive, too. Standard, however is a drag. You end up spending a couple hundred dollars on fake cards only to be facerolled by the same deck over and over.
I have a very unique name.
Kitkatzy
Profile Joined May 2008
United States213 Posts
September 22 2010 16:05 GMT
#14
On September 23 2010 00:48 Mogwai wrote:

uhg whatever, I understand that it's not the end of the world, but I was already getting fed up with the game and the direction Wizards was taking with it. Those stupid giant guys who make you sacrifice X permanents when they attack and are indestructible, more retarded planeswalkers, meh, it's just not something I'm interested in. There's a difference between spicing stuff up and keeping the game interesting and changing it so much that it loses its identity. I feel like magic was moving towards the latter.

EDIT: and to be clear, the only balance I ever cared about was limited. constructed was really a terrible tournament scene IMO.


The limited balance is still fine in ROE and m11. Good players learn to adapt to a very different play style. Mediocre players make excuses...
I don't understand at all why you feel that constructed is a terrible tournament scene. Constructed is a much more difficult format than limited. I do agree that planeswalkers are a bit meh though.
Curse Kitkatz
Dyno.
Profile Joined August 2008
United States286 Posts
September 22 2010 16:11 GMT
#15
On September 23 2010 00:59 Zanzabar Haberdasher wrote:
I play online every so often. It’s really great, as I’ve had a thing for drafting since I was very young. Fairly competitive, too. Standard, however is a drag. You end up spending a couple hundred dollars on fake cards only to be facerolled by the same deck over and over.

To be fair, you can redeem online cards for real ones if you're doing an entire set at once.

And RoEx3 is an absolutely incredible draft format.
kuresuti
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
1393 Posts
September 22 2010 16:13 GMT
#16
On September 23 2010 01:05 Couvre wrote:
I do agree that planeswalkers are a bit meh though.


Proliferate won't help

Looking forward to some Planeswalker removal. I'd be surprised if they just keep ignoring them.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-22 16:21:58
September 22 2010 16:19 GMT
#17
On September 23 2010 01:13 kuresuti wrote:
Proliferate won't help

IMO none of the Proliferate cards are strong enough to be really relevant to PWs. A single loyalty counter isn't worth the cost for most of the Proliferate cards. It'll buy you a turn tops against beatdown, and getting you closer to the ult is rarely worth anything because the ult is so unlikely.

On the other hand, it'll keep Pyromancer combo playable in Extended, which I support because Pyromancer is one of the few combos that isn't completely noninteractive.

On September 23 2010 01:13 kuresuti wrote:
Looking forward to some Planeswalker removal. I'd be surprised if they just keep ignoring them.

Ratchet Bomb

On September 23 2010 01:19 Crushgroove wrote:
Main problem with mtgo is no vintage play. For some of us older kids, that's the only format we play.

If you allow vintage on MTGO, don't you get into shady territory whether virtual copies of those cards violates the reprint policy?
Moderator
Crushgroove
Profile Joined July 2010
United States793 Posts
September 22 2010 16:19 GMT
#18
Main problem with mtgo is no vintage play. For some of us older kids, that's the only format we play.
[In Korea on Vaca] "Why would I go to the park and climb a mountain? There are video games on f*cking TV!" - Kazuke
kuresuti
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
1393 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-22 16:36:27
September 22 2010 16:35 GMT
#19
On September 23 2010 01:19 TheYango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 23 2010 01:13 kuresuti wrote:
Proliferate won't help

IMO none of the Proliferate cards are strong enough to be really relevant to PWs. A single loyalty counter isn't worth the cost for most of the Proliferate cards. It'll buy you a turn tops against beatdown, and getting you closer to the ult is rarely worth anything because the ult is so unlikely.

On the other hand, it'll keep Pyromancer combo playable in Extended, which I support because Pyromancer is one of the few combos that isn't completely noninteractive.

Show nested quote +
On September 23 2010 01:13 kuresuti wrote:
Looking forward to some Planeswalker removal. I'd be surprised if they just keep ignoring them.

Ratchet Bomb

Show nested quote +
On September 23 2010 01:19 Crushgroove wrote:
Main problem with mtgo is no vintage play. For some of us older kids, that's the only format we play.

If you allow vintage on MTGO, don't you get into shady territory whether virtual copies of those cards violates the reprint policy?


Proliferate still doesn't help. It can either stay the same or make PWs more powerful, that's all.

Ratchet bomb works, but it's kinda slow, and it doesn't have "Planeswalker removal" stamped on it's forehead.

EDIT: I play almost exclusively the eternal formats, so my views on cards might be a bit skewed :/
Zapperkhan
Profile Joined October 2008
United States437 Posts
September 22 2010 16:41 GMT
#20
OCTGN is an amazing alternative to MTGO, can download card packs construct all the decks you want or do a sealed deck tourney and choose as many boosters as you want. Takes a bit to set up but been using it with the roomies and so local friends and it's a lot of fun. There's also an irc channel and everyone is pretty helpful. Usually there is a few people who want to play at all hours. Should check it out.

http://www.octgn.net/
1 2 3 4 5 663 664 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
herO vs Rogue
Classic vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 989
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs KrystianerLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings270
CranKy Ducklings SOOP20
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech118
CosmosSc2 8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45203
Shuttle 12242
FanTaSy 1441
Hyuk 974
BeSt 492
Horang2 484
EffOrt 253
Stork 221
Last 173
Zeus 145
[ Show more ]
Pusan 132
Soma 94
Mind 87
Killer 86
Hyun 73
ggaemo 67
sorry 67
hero 66
Snow 49
PianO 45
Hm[arnc] 40
ToSsGirL 37
Bale 29
Aegong 26
zelot 19
JYJ 18
NaDa 15
Sacsri 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
Noble 9
Dota 2
qojqva1152
Dendi1101
XcaliburYe337
Counter-Strike
fl0m3009
byalli1052
x6flipin319
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu463
Khaldor25
Other Games
gofns36362
B2W.Neo1007
Hui .159
Livibee157
Beastyqt150
ArmadaUGS99
Mew2King58
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick708
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream61
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2235
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
2h 8m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 8m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 8m
Replay Cast
10h 8m
Afreeca Starleague
21h 8m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
22h 8m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 21h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 22h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.