• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:09
CEST 23:09
KST 06:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War335.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7860 users

Harry Potter Mafia! - Page 76

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 74 75 76
Node
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States2159 Posts
December 23 2010 04:00 GMT
#1501
Despite being inactive for the entire game, I'm glad I could help town to the first victory that I've seen by essentially stopping both hits on the last night.

As such, I take full credit for this victory.
whole lies with a half smile
CubEdIn
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Romania5359 Posts
December 23 2010 09:27 GMT
#1502
There was no way mafia would win. It was 9v6, which would inevitably turn into 9v5. Even with two correct hits, it would then be 7v4, where our kp would drop to one, so it would go 6v4 -> 6v3, 5v3 -> 5v2... 4v2 -> 4v1 -> over. There was no need for town to keep blocking hits. And there was no way for them to miss-lynch. We realized that when kita said that hits have been accounted for. ALL town was working together (well we weren't sure about deconduo but other than him...).

Not to mention that if they were to lynch one of the malfoys, it would go from 6v4 to 5v2 (skipping two steps), which was likely anyway.

Im not a n00b, I just play like one.
annul
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2841 Posts
December 23 2010 13:51 GMT
#1503
it was 9-6 AT NIGHT.

if both hits went through, it was 7-6.

if you lost a non-malfoy, it would be 7-5. then 5-5, game over.

so the analysis was correct: town HAD to block a hit to survive. they did, so they won.

it literally came down to town needing to block a hit -- this seems like excellent balance to me. notice how many roles i wrote that involved night protection... this was intentionally part of the balance makeup. i expected missed hits.
Incognito
Profile Joined November 2008
United States2071 Posts
December 23 2010 21:01 GMT
#1504
Lol are you serious?
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy
kitaman27 *
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9245 Posts
December 23 2010 21:05 GMT
#1505
On December 23 2010 18:27 CubEdIn wrote:
We realized that when kita said that hits have been accounted for. ALL town was working together (well we weren't sure about deconduo but other than him...)



The second hit actually wasn't accounted for, but I wasn't going to give Barundar a chance to escape the lynch. It probably would have turned up eventually though.

P.S. Awesome day/night posts from annul. They were definitely fun to read. Thanks for hosting ^_^
I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff.
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
December 23 2010 21:19 GMT
#1506
Wait a minute, what the fuck?
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
annul
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2841 Posts
December 23 2010 21:35 GMT
#1507
On December 24 2010 06:05 kitaman27 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 23 2010 18:27 CubEdIn wrote:
We realized that when kita said that hits have been accounted for. ALL town was working together (well we weren't sure about deconduo but other than him...)



The second hit actually wasn't accounted for, but I wasn't going to give Barundar a chance to escape the lynch. It probably would have turned up eventually though.

P.S. Awesome day/night posts from annul. They were definitely fun to read. Thanks for hosting ^_^



the two blocked kills: meapak under medic and node was a veteran

and ty =D
CubEdIn
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Romania5359 Posts
December 23 2010 23:53 GMT
#1508
Yes, annul, but someone said that we still had a chance to win this, and we should not have FFed. I explained how we did not have a chance. We only stood a chance IF we got all hits in, and with the amount of protection available, there was almost no chance of doing that (the house ability, the prison guard ability, the medic, the invisible cloak, etc.).

I'm NOT saying the game was imba. We would have a fair fighting chance IF the town didn't know who we all were. But due to claims and matching said claims to names, the town was too well informed. I never said the hosting was flawed, just that there were too many role-claims that were easily matched to names in PM land.
Perhaps an extra 10 roles or so that may/may not be in the game would have turned the tables. That was a good suggestion.

Anyway, gg, looking forward to the next one. Especially to getting back at kita.
Im not a n00b, I just play like one.
gryffindor
Profile Joined November 2009
United States524 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-15 10:40:53
December 26 2010 08:12 GMT
#1509
i got blisters on me fingers
annul
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2841 Posts
December 26 2010 08:46 GMT
#1510
your harry potter mafia was just a random mafia game with "harry potter" thrown onto it

my harry potter mafia took it to heart with flavor that actually mattered what game it was

ps grats on evasion?
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-26 09:37:57
December 26 2010 09:36 GMT
#1511
On December 23 2010 11:56 Mr.Zergling wrote:
Well gg all, Due to Mod confirmed town circles, the mafia were going to have a hard time bandwagonning us into lynching town on the last few days.

Yeah, I think that was the biggest design flaw in this game. Mason circles have to be handled carefully and a full house claim early ends up with 12 confirmed townies and gives the mafia zero room to counterclaim. Once everyone was pressured into revealing their role to some extent, I think it was a nearly impossible situation for scum to hide in.

I played this game very sloppily and didn't pay much attention and I slipped up a lot. Killing jcarlsoniv on the first night should have been our move. Switching to my main was a big mistake, I thought I could goad newer players into trusting me and going along with what I said and I was able to railroad meapak just a little bit but Kitaman27 hounded me too far.

I don't like the way Kitaman played though. Lying to get someone who you think is scum lynched is never a good idea, because you need to account for the fact that you just might maybe be wrong. There was a lot of lying on the town side. Remember: mafia is the only faction that needs to lie. If town is ok with using lies to achieve goals, they can't take advantage of that. This game was set-up perfectly for town to destroy death eaters by catching them in lies.

All of the stuff that went down in this game is the prime reason I'm starting to really dislike themed games.
RIP Aaliyah
annul
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2841 Posts
December 26 2010 09:52 GMT
#1512
there was a fatal assumption that there were 12 confirmed townies, considering there were only 6. i never said all houses existed in the game.

i think 1. if the original balance at 41 was intact it wouldve been better, and 2. i should have added more than 31 names to the list, to give mafia the room to fake claim with more safety.
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
December 26 2010 09:56 GMT
#1513
On December 26 2010 18:52 annul wrote:
there was a fatal assumption that there were 12 confirmed townies, considering there were only 6. i never said all houses existed in the game.

i think 1. if the original balance at 41 was intact it wouldve been better, and 2. i should have added more than 31 names to the list, to give mafia the room to fake claim with more safety.

Honestly, even in a game of that number having just 1 or 2 confirmed townies can be a huge problem for mafia especially if PM's are involved.

One thing that can give the mafia an advantage is spinning focus on to "worshipping confirmed townies" rather than scumhunting but because there was zero room for mafia to really lie effectively in this game (which mafia need to do to survive) it didn't really work out. I basically felt that I needed to keep the town focused on scumhunting to win and that was a bothersome idea.
RIP Aaliyah
kitaman27 *
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States9245 Posts
December 26 2010 15:47 GMT
#1514
On December 26 2010 18:36 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 23 2010 11:56 Mr.Zergling wrote:
Well gg all, Due to Mod confirmed town circles, the mafia were going to have a hard time bandwagonning us into lynching town on the last few days.

I don't like the way Kitaman played though. Lying to get someone who you think is scum lynched is never a good idea, because you need to account for the fact that you just might maybe be wrong.


Well in that situation I knew I wasn't wrong since there couldn't be two Pomfreys, but I get what you are saying. The dt story was true since jcarl did check the real pomfrey, but I agree I should have went about it better. At the time, I had thought I was the only protection ability still alive and the numbers looked like we would to have to stop a hit or two so I didn't claim medic, but perhaps I should have.
I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I... I can't compete with that stuff.
~OpZ~
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
United States3652 Posts
December 26 2010 16:19 GMT
#1515
On December 23 2010 22:51 annul wrote:
it was 9-6 AT NIGHT.

if both hits went through, it was 7-6.

if you lost a non-malfoy, it would be 7-5. then 5-5, game over.

so the analysis was correct: town HAD to block a hit to survive. they did, so they won.

it literally came down to town needing to block a hit -- this seems like excellent balance to me. notice how many roles i wrote that involved night protection... this was intentionally part of the balance makeup. i expected missed hits.

....What....They we're lynching Narcissa already during the beginning of the day. Check the vote thread. We were fucked.
Maybe I could teach Osama that using a plane as a wraith or dropship would be 10x better than using it as a scourge..... ^^; -Flex
CubEdIn
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Romania5359 Posts
December 26 2010 17:15 GMT
#1516
Annul clearly meant "before tonight". Not now. We can all agree the game was over after fail-night.

But, again, the chances of us missing one hit were extremely high anyway. Like half the people were protected or something.

It doesn't really matter, the roles were cool, the claiming was less cool. May the next one be better.

Oh and Happy Holidays.
Im not a n00b, I just play like one.
Prev 1 74 75 76
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 52m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 605
ProTech165
UpATreeSC 88
Nina 63
NeuroSwarm 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14927
910 71
soO 37
NaDa 11
Dota 2
monkeys_forever181
canceldota89
League of Legends
Doublelift2436
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4203
Other Games
summit1g2597
fl0m1400
FrodaN851
olofmeister818
Liquid`Hasu330
C9.Mang0218
Livibee190
ToD75
PPMD22
Organizations
StarCraft 2
angryscii 20
[ Show 20 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 16
• Adnapsc2 11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 67
• FirePhoenix7
• Michael_bg 4
• niya90s 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21291
• WagamamaTV514
League of Legends
• Scarra715
Other Games
• imaqtpie1012
• Shiphtur682
• tFFMrPink 12
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 52m
Big Brain Bouts
12h 52m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
19h 52m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
21h 52m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 12h
Patches Events
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 21h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.