• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:27
CEST 05:27
KST 12:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8027 users

users opinion on options and mods during casts - Page 2

Forum Index > TSL4 Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Zenatsu
Profile Joined February 2011
100 Posts
July 06 2012 09:46 GMT
#21
With both the Stronger colors and health bars, there are the up sides and the down sides.

Note: These are vastly opinionated, but I try to be unbiased.
The up side of Stronger Colors:
-Things tend to look somewhat nicer around the low to medium settings **(Like with pro gamers or in Day[9] casts)
-For those with visual disabilities it helps distinguish one team from the other during large engagements, while the casters are going nuts about the force fields and pretty lights exploding.
-Banelings look FREAKING AMAZING. Just admit it.

The down side of Stronger Colors:
-Things tend to look over bloomed and a tad horrible around High-Extreme settings **(Like in Major tournament and some pro game casts)
-Its very user dependent on if they like seeing enhanced colors as opposed to the original way of the game. You can go in depth in saying that players tend to have the game look like their own, or the way things are intended to keep an even basis. Like some pros don't use max settings even if their comps can handle it. Where as others go all out and don't care.
**Example is for the actual setting of the game, not with stronger colors enabled.

Personally, I don't mind which ever one. As long as the casters are entertaining, I'm fine with however they have their settings.


Now with The health bars, it as well is user dependent with ups and downs. However, I feel the major disadvantage of having health bars is "too much information". There are quite a bit of pro gamers that do not have all bars enabled, for the same reason. Personally when I play SC2, I have it all enabled. I do not feel it is giving me too much information, but gives me all the information I need without having to select units. Its helpful in fights knowing caster unit's energy and knowing how close that big-bad unit is to being dead.

For casters, It can go either way. But I generally would rather see it be based on selection and the casters select the relevant units to what they are explaining, or looking at. The issue of 'Too much information' is a very touchy subject as a seasoned player wants to know it all and see outside of what the caster is saying, to where a novice would be looking around wondering "What is he talking about? I see 100 things on the screen!"

It boils down to personal taste. So If one tournament cast uses 1 set-up, and another uses another, I think it would either fall down to what the majority of the viewership wants to see, or what the tournament wants to showcase for their streams.

I apologies for any grammar and spelling mistakes. Best not to write walls of text at 5:00 in the morning.

TL;DR:
It depends on the set-up of the tournament/casters. They can either abide to the majority of viewers on what they want to see, or they can just do what they do and show it as they want. It'll make different streams unique, and show off their own characteristics.
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
July 06 2012 09:57 GMT
#22
just a quick question: are the casters controling the camera or do they have a dedicated observer?
EnE
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
417 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-06 10:12:27
July 06 2012 10:07 GMT
#23
On July 06 2012 17:28 canucks12 wrote:
I enjoy being able to see what's going on when banelings enter a fight. Also I find that the default zealots are nearly impossible to differentiate when they are in a battle. It's a good mod, I was thinking of downloading it for myself.


What are you talking about? With the mod on means you CAN'T see whats going on if banelings are involved.

Actually, how banelings look with stronger team colours enabled is why I didn't watch TSL. Please stop this shit for TSL 5 because I can't bear it. If all tournaments use it, I'll actually quit sc2 since viewing will no longer be enjoyable for me.
I'm embarrased by my past actions and even more ashamed of my present thoughts and future endeavors to clear my name.
corumjhaelen
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
France6884 Posts
July 06 2012 10:24 GMT
#24
I like stronger color mod. I want health bar only on relevant units because the oversaturation of irrelevant information is tiring, and because it worsen how bad the ball looks like, but I fear that's a lost fight...
‎numquam se plus agere quam nihil cum ageret, numquam minus solum esse quam cum solus esset
LovE-
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1963 Posts
July 06 2012 15:34 GMT
#25
I really do not like the color mod. Looks too weird to me.. IDK. But I don't really watch streams/tournaments that have it on.
LovE.311 (NA) || @LovE_Sc2
Zenatsu
Profile Joined February 2011
100 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-07 05:30:52
July 07 2012 00:17 GMT
#26
On July 06 2012 19:07 EnE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 06 2012 17:28 canucks12 wrote:
I enjoy being able to see what's going on when banelings enter a fight. Also I find that the default zealots are nearly impossible to differentiate when they are in a battle. It's a good mod, I was thinking of downloading it for myself.


What are you talking about? With the mod on means you CAN'T see whats going on if banelings are involved.

Actually, how banelings look with stronger team colours enabled is why I didn't watch TSL. Please stop this shit for TSL 5 because I can't bear it. If all tournaments use it, I'll actually quit sc2 since viewing will no longer be enjoyable for me.


What are YOU talking about?

A normal Banleling will be depicted as such:
[image loading]

Banelings with stronger colors are depicted as such:
[image loading]

Are you seriously saying that Banelings without Stronger Colors are easier to depict than With Stronger Colors? Or are you saying that because banelings are all bright and pretty that its too distracting. If you choose the latter, you're seriously opinionated in that regard (which is okay but pretty pompous).

Which brings the points I've made about Team Colors in my previous post.

Edit: Let me clarify. Stronger color can be distracting, no argument there, but if your point is based solely on that, then it's pretty moot.
avenmarine
Profile Joined May 2012
United Arab Emirates9 Posts
July 07 2012 03:27 GMT
#27
as a spectator I find it disgusting. It's like I'm not even watching starcraft 2 anymore, its like some deformed game. I don't want to watch a modded game. I want to watch starcraft 2, I want players to play starcraft 2. I don't really care if it makes seeing things easier or not, it's not the same game.
Azera
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
3800 Posts
July 07 2012 07:07 GMT
#28
I love the colour mod!
Check out some great music made by TLers - http://bit.ly/QXYhdb , by intrigue. http://bit.ly/RTjpOR , by ohsea.toc.
AveranceEU
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany23 Posts
July 07 2012 09:57 GMT
#29
I personally don't like the color mod and don't think it's necessary most of the time (only when players pick similar colors in mirror match-ups). It makes the game look less pretty and will definitely not attract more viewers.
WigglingSquid
Profile Joined August 2011
5194 Posts
July 07 2012 10:39 GMT
#30
The only real use for colour mod is to provide better visibility for colorblind users. It can also help everyone in certain messy situations, e.g. fungaled roaches, but it is very situational in this sense.
According to Wikipedia, about 7-10% of the male population is red-green colorblind. Your call.
Silencioseu
Profile Joined June 2011
Cyprus493 Posts
July 07 2012 11:21 GMT
#31
There are so many butthurt people here, saying that stronger color mod is harder to differentiate, which is completely insane and untrue.

Though i prefer normal colours and forcing Players to simply pick blue and red team colours.
i kno i r badass no need to repeat
Silencioseu
Profile Joined June 2011
Cyprus493 Posts
July 07 2012 11:27 GMT
#32
On July 06 2012 19:07 EnE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 06 2012 17:28 canucks12 wrote:
I enjoy being able to see what's going on when banelings enter a fight. Also I find that the default zealots are nearly impossible to differentiate when they are in a battle. It's a good mod, I was thinking of downloading it for myself.


What are you talking about? With the mod on means you CAN'T see whats going on if banelings are involved.

Actually, how banelings look with stronger team colours enabled is why I didn't watch TSL. Please stop this shit for TSL 5 because I can't bear it. If all tournaments use it, I'll actually quit sc2 since viewing will no longer be enjoyable for me.


Having you, and people like you quit SC2 will make good to the community.
i kno i r badass no need to repeat
Serelitz
Profile Joined April 2011
Netherlands2895 Posts
July 07 2012 12:04 GMT
#33
I like the stronger colour mod though it does overdo some things. I think it should be used for mirror matchups only.
althaz
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia1001 Posts
July 07 2012 14:59 GMT
#34
I hate watching games with the stronger colour mod, except for banelings. Banelings look fantastic!
The first rule we don't talk about race conditions. of race conditions is
EnE
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
417 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-07 16:56:36
July 07 2012 16:53 GMT
#35
On July 07 2012 09:17 Zenatsu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 06 2012 19:07 EnE wrote:
On July 06 2012 17:28 canucks12 wrote:
I enjoy being able to see what's going on when banelings enter a fight. Also I find that the default zealots are nearly impossible to differentiate when they are in a battle. It's a good mod, I was thinking of downloading it for myself.


What are you talking about? With the mod on means you CAN'T see whats going on if banelings are involved.

Actually, how banelings look with stronger team colours enabled is why I didn't watch TSL. Please stop this shit for TSL 5 because I can't bear it. If all tournaments use it, I'll actually quit sc2 since viewing will no longer be enjoyable for me.


What are YOU talking about?

A normal Banleling will be depicted as such:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Banelings with stronger colors are depicted as such:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Are you seriously saying that Banelings without Stronger Colors are easier to depict than With Stronger Colors? Or are you saying that because banelings are all bright and pretty that its too distracting. If you choose the latter, you're seriously opinionated in that regard (which is okay but pretty pompous).

Which brings the points I've made about Team Colors in my previous post.

Edit: Let me clarify. Stronger color can be distracting, no argument there, but if your point is based solely on that, then it's pretty moot.



I'm saying that when you have 20 banelings, all with speed, you can't see anything but the bright blurry colours and the stream looks like league of legends and hardly worth watching. I play on a 720p monitor and I've never had the slightest problem in a battle like (OMG WHICH TEAM IS WHICH?!?!?! WHERE ARE THE BANELINGS I CAN'T FIND THEM?!)

Banelings don't look "amazing", they look like normal banelings but someone put lights all over them in photoshop and turned all the brightness, gamma, hue, contrast to max.
I'm embarrased by my past actions and even more ashamed of my present thoughts and future endeavors to clear my name.
EnE
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
417 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-07 16:59:17
July 07 2012 16:59 GMT
#36
On July 07 2012 20:27 Silencioseu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 06 2012 19:07 EnE wrote:
On July 06 2012 17:28 canucks12 wrote:
I enjoy being able to see what's going on when banelings enter a fight. Also I find that the default zealots are nearly impossible to differentiate when they are in a battle. It's a good mod, I was thinking of downloading it for myself.


What are you talking about? With the mod on means you CAN'T see whats going on if banelings are involved.

Actually, how banelings look with stronger team colours enabled is why I didn't watch TSL. Please stop this shit for TSL 5 because I can't bear it. If all tournaments use it, I'll actually quit sc2 since viewing will no longer be enjoyable for me.


Having you, and people like you quit SC2 will make good to the community.


You don't know me. I spend more time helping, coaching newer players than I do playing myself. You're just saying that based on the fact that I like watching sc2 instead of a fucking light filled mess and I stated my opinion.


EDIT: Oops, double post, I'm sorry
I'm embarrased by my past actions and even more ashamed of my present thoughts and future endeavors to clear my name.
speknek
Profile Joined February 2012
758 Posts
July 07 2012 20:27 GMT
#37
Wow, didn't expect so many people to prefer some slight graphical difference over a very clear visibility advantage.
The mod is great and I hope everyone will start using it. Blizzard should even make it an option in menu.
EnE
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
417 Posts
July 07 2012 20:50 GMT
#38
On July 08 2012 05:27 speknek wrote:
Wow, didn't expect so many people to prefer some slight graphical difference over a very clear visibility advantage.
The mod is great and I hope everyone will start using it. Blizzard should even make it an option in menu.


What the fuck are you talking about? Is this entire forum trolling me?!??!?! How does having all the banelings randomly attacked by a weirdo with glitter all over his fingers give a very clear visibility advantage? It just destroys the atmosphere and realism and makes seeing all the units very hard.

Why am I the only person in the bloody world who never had a problem seeing the units on the screen?! If you're in favor of the mod, I strongly, strongly suggest you at least get your Eyes checked out at an Optician because there's quite a heavy chance that you need some minor vision correction.
I'm embarrased by my past actions and even more ashamed of my present thoughts and future endeavors to clear my name.
Zenatsu
Profile Joined February 2011
100 Posts
July 07 2012 22:43 GMT
#39
On July 08 2012 01:53 EnE wrote:
I'm saying that when you have 20 banelings, all with speed, you can't see anything but the bright blurry colours and the stream looks like league of legends and hardly worth watching. I play on a 720p monitor and I've never had the slightest problem in a battle like (OMG WHICH TEAM IS WHICH?!?!?! WHERE ARE THE BANELINGS I CAN'T FIND THEM?!)

Banelings don't look "amazing", they look like normal banelings but someone put lights all over them in photoshop and turned all the brightness, gamma, hue, contrast to max.


In a personal game, sure, I agree that stronger colors is not for everyone. I don't like them either (but banelings still look cool).

In the long run, we both agree that stronger colors is not for a commentating, but on a personal level its up to the player (obvisouly).

I guess the only last and final point I can make, is that it is worth trying out. If the general mass rejects it, then sure, it was a bad idea, but it was tried.

If the idea works, and the general mass likes it, then it may be a good change. However both you and I do not like this change, and would rather see Starcraft be shown as vanilla as possible. Overlays are tolerable and have not been abused yet, but nothing is stopping some streams from trying.

As long as everyone can understand the advantages and disadvantages, and avoids making stupid arguments that are baseless and unproductive, can we move forward. I mean no disrespect, but you fell under that category.

All in all. I vote no, take Stronger colors out. and keep the heath bars selective. TMI is an issue.
MichaelDonovan
Profile Joined June 2011
United States1453 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-07 23:25:19
July 07 2012 23:24 GMT
#40
Ruins the aesthetics of the game. Makes everything seem less cool. I agree with EnE on this.
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 245
ProTech134
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17191
Rain 1479
GuemChi 611
sSak 31
NaDa 28
Bale 18
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm206
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 574
minikerr49
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1057
Mew2King96
Other Games
summit1g7005
JimRising 620
WinterStarcraft561
C9.Mang0173
ViBE135
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1009
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream43
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 157
• Light_VIP 24
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo741
• Stunt313
Other Games
• Scarra922
• Shiphtur770
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
6h 33m
INu's Battles
7h 33m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
9h 33m
OSC
18h 48m
Replay Cast
19h 33m
OSC
1d 19h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.