• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:35
CEST 05:35
KST 12:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7895 users

TL Climbing - Page 2

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 Next All
Culture
Profile Joined October 2007
Canada488 Posts
September 05 2013 20:04 GMT
#21
I typically go around 8pm-10pm to dogpatch, I'll see if I spot you one of these days, sob3k~
AirbladeOrange
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2574 Posts
September 05 2013 21:15 GMT
#22
Any advice or tips on how to get into the sport?
0x64
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Finland4647 Posts
September 05 2013 21:31 GMT
#23
Find closest climbing spot, use 50 bucks to get good climbing shoes. Really something that is easy to pick up with a friend.
Dump of assembler code from 0xffffffec to 0x64: End of assembler dump.
AeroGear
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada652 Posts
September 05 2013 22:42 GMT
#24
50$ for good climbing shoes? More like 120$.

Take an introduction course, usually they last the whole day wether inside in a gym or outside on a cliff. They will provide all the necessary: ropes, harness, shoes (sometimes) and most important of all the supervision of an experienced climber.

You'll know fast enough wether you like climbing or not. The last thing we need is more "climbers" with little or no experience...Any accident due to negligence risks removing access to outdoor routes so better do it right.
Driven by hate, fueled by rage
Epoxide
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Magic Woods9326 Posts
September 05 2013 22:56 GMT
#25
Solutions forever~~
LiquipediaSouma: EU MM is just Russian Roulette. Literally.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
September 05 2013 23:05 GMT
#26
On September 06 2013 07:42 AeroGear wrote:
50$ for good climbing shoes? More like 120$.

Take an introduction course, usually they last the whole day wether inside in a gym or outside on a cliff. They will provide all the necessary: ropes, harness, shoes (sometimes) and most important of all the supervision of an experienced climber.

You'll know fast enough wether you like climbing or not. The last thing we need is more "climbers" with little or no experience...Any accident due to negligence risks removing access to outdoor routes so better do it right.


Evolv Defy VTR or La Sportiva Tarantula(ce) are great for beginners honestly and can be found for around $60-80 depending on whether they're on sale or not. I also see a lot of Scarpa stuff on sale all the time on theclymb
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
September 05 2013 23:29 GMT
#27
Put me on the list! Even though I haven't climbed in a few months. t_t I used to go all the time with my friend at Bridges near Berkeley, got up to V4-V5 over about a year since starting.

Seems like there is a real opportunity for same bay area TL climbing community. XD

I really need to get back into it.



Btw I live in Davis, does anyone know any good outdoor locations around here? Like less than a half hour? I'd love to be able to bike out to a rock and hit it for an hour a couple times a week, but it's just flat around here and I hate driving to Sac to get to pipeworks.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
kerpal
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom2695 Posts
September 06 2013 00:11 GMT
#28
I've been climbing for a few months at the cheapest place imaginable here in newcastle, it's £2.40 to climb, 3-4 friends go most weeks. But I haven't even shelled out for shoes yet.

I enjoy it, but I also fence, so I don't need another sport that's going to cost me too much money!

fun story, the place we climb has automatic belay systems, which are great, but I was about 7-8m up a wall, realised I was too tired to make it to the top and then let go. Wasn't clipped in!

Thankfully I tangled in the wire on the way down, so got some bad friction burn on my leg, but landed flat on my back and wasn't injured at all.

CHECK YOUR KNOTS!
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
September 06 2013 01:37 GMT
#29
On September 06 2013 07:42 AeroGear wrote:
50$ for good climbing shoes? More like 120$.

Take an introduction course, usually they last the whole day wether inside in a gym or outside on a cliff. They will provide all the necessary: ropes, harness, shoes (sometimes) and most important of all the supervision of an experienced climber.

You'll know fast enough wether you like climbing or not. The last thing we need is more "climbers" with little or no experience...Any accident due to negligence risks removing access to outdoor routes so better do it right.


Beginners totally should go for cheap shoes. The size of the feet and the technicality on beginner routes dont need any of the expensive features or perfect fit that spendy shoes buy you, and its better that they are nice and comfortable. All the modern shoe companies make solid shoes now that are less than $90 or even $50-70.

On September 06 2013 09:11 kerpal wrote:
I've been climbing for a few months at the cheapest place imaginable here in newcastle, it's £2.40 to climb, 3-4 friends go most weeks. But I haven't even shelled out for shoes yet.

I enjoy it, but I also fence, so I don't need another sport that's going to cost me too much money!

fun story, the place we climb has automatic belay systems, which are great, but I was about 7-8m up a wall, realised I was too tired to make it to the top and then let go. Wasn't clipped in!

Thankfully I tangled in the wire on the way down, so got some bad friction burn on my leg, but landed flat on my back and wasn't injured at all.

CHECK YOUR KNOTS!


I'm friends with the son of the owner of the Portland Rock Gym in Oregon. They installed autobelays and within the first month they had a guy doing laps at the end of his workout get on a route and climb it completely unclipped. He realized at the top but was so pumped out that he couldn't downclimb and fell the whole wall and broke his legs. There was also a second guy who did the same thing but was more experienced and was able to grab the autobelay they sent up to him and ride it down safely. Now they have big red panels attached to the rope at the bottom covering the starting feet so its pretty much impossible not to notice you aren't clipped before you start. Pay attention guys.
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
EpidemicSC
Profile Joined January 2012
United States70 Posts
September 06 2013 08:19 GMT
#30
Hey guys! Ive been climbing for about 4 months now at my local gym (Hangar 18 in Riverside, CA) and I do mostly bouldering lately (around the V3-V4 level) but i can do some of the top ropes in the 5.11s. I live in the inland empire right now, but I will be moving to San Luis Obispo fairly soon so I hope to find a gym or some outdoor climbers around the area. Let me know if you wanna go climbing sometime and live in SLO county area.

PS: La Sportiva Tarantulace are indeed great shoes for the beginner, not overly uncomfortable and pretty easy arch to adjust to. Any experienced climbers have a good bouldering shoe to recommend? Ive been looking at some of the evolv rock shoes but am not sure yet (my budget tops out around 120$ right now ^^).
Epoxide
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Magic Woods9326 Posts
September 06 2013 09:16 GMT
#31
I like La Sportiva Solution the best, great fit, great for having toes on small stuff, great for toe-hooking, I don't love the heel that much though. 5.10 Dragon is my second favourite shoe, has everything Solution has, but laces really suck The heel is better for hooking in my opinion, just remember to buy a big size, they are quite small.
LiquipediaSouma: EU MM is just Russian Roulette. Literally.
icystorage
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Jollibee19350 Posts
September 06 2013 09:27 GMT
#32
do you buy shoes that fits or tight? i head you should buy one shoe size smaller.
LiquidDota StaffAre you ready for a Miracle-? We are! The International 2017 Champions!
Spykiller
Profile Joined December 2010
Norway87 Posts
September 06 2013 09:35 GMT
#33
I went to my first climbing session last week. Was a 8 hour class, 4 hours inside and 4 hour outside. Was a lot of fun

Location for my climbing will be Elverum/Hamar

Have some problems getting gear tho as my size in shoes is 47(EU)

Id love some nerdy climbingpartners if you live nearby as I dont know anyone else who climbs
Dont worry about what you miss, be happy for what you experience
EpidemicSC
Profile Joined January 2012
United States70 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-06 09:39:41
September 06 2013 09:37 GMT
#34
On September 06 2013 18:27 icystorage wrote:
do you buy shoes that fits or tight? i head you should buy one shoe size smaller.


You really want your toes to go to the very end of your shoe and even "curl down" so to speak. So basically comfort is not your #1 priority, as most people (me included) find some degree of discomfort with their shoes, which is why you will often see climbers with their shoes off when they are not about to climb ^^

On September 06 2013 18:16 Epoxide wrote:
I like La Sportiva Solution the best, great fit, great for having toes on small stuff, great for toe-hooking, I don't love the heel that much though. 5.10 Dragon is my second favourite shoe, has everything Solution has, but laces really suck The heel is better for hooking in my opinion, just remember to buy a big size, they are quite small.


Thanks for the advice man, I've had a good experience with my current Sportivas so I will definitely give the Solution a look!
Epoxide
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Magic Woods9326 Posts
September 06 2013 09:38 GMT
#35
On September 06 2013 18:27 icystorage wrote:
do you buy shoes that fits or tight? i head you should buy one shoe size smaller.

A tight shoe that fits well around your foot is the best I have 43-44 EU on normal, and 42.5 EU on La Sportiva Solution.
LiquipediaSouma: EU MM is just Russian Roulette. Literally.
nojok
Profile Joined May 2011
France15846 Posts
September 06 2013 09:57 GMT
#36
I climbed last year, 6, near the Seine in Normandy + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


However I will visit a friend soon and will climb a bit in the Alpes, he has just moved there because he's really fund of climbing, so I should have a good time.+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


On September 06 2013 18:27 icystorage wrote:
do you buy shoes that fits or tight? i head you should buy one shoe size smaller.

You want tight shoes once you've deformed them, so very tight when you buy them, so you have to know before if the shoes you buy deform a lot or not.
"Back then teams that won were credited, now it's called throw. I think it's sad." - Kuroky - Flap Flap Wings!
schaf
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany1326 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-06 11:18:24
September 06 2013 11:13 GMT
#37
I've been climbing for years now, but with getting my first girlfriend I got lazier and lazier and now I'm struggling with the easiest routes in my boulder hall - bronze league so to say. I'm aiming for gold for now

I'm currently bouldering in my town of Aachen, Germany @ Moove (German site)

If you don't know, there is an organization called IFSC who organizes boulder cups all around the world, streams it on youtube (also lead climbing and speed climbing, sometimes even paraclimbing!) -> check this out <-
I'm quite sure they are also trying to get climbing into the olympics.

closer: inspiring video
http://www.planetmountain.com/webtv/eng/scheda.php?idFilm=332&bck=1

edit: for shoes, I'm really cursed. I have extra-broad feet so trying out shoes in the stores usually results in me buying them 1 or 2 sizes too large for my foot length... any suggestions on that?
Axiom wins more than it loses. Most viewers don't. - <3 TB
0x64
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Finland4647 Posts
September 06 2013 11:59 GMT
#38
here is a random video from where I go in Finland:
Dump of assembler code from 0xffffffec to 0x64: End of assembler dump.
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-06 20:04:56
September 06 2013 20:03 GMT
#39
if you are starting climber around V3 and below then just go for a shoe thats cheap and fits comfortably but snug.

Once you start getting advanced and want a technical shoe, fit will depend on material. A leather shoe will stretch considerably to the shape of your foot after a few sessions and sweating inside it. So you will want to buy an extremely tight shoe when trying it on at the store. You want something that you is difficult to cram your foot in. It should be quite painful the first few times you climb in it, you will wonder if you have made a terrible mistake. Just try to keep it on as long as possible and by the third or fourth time out it should start feeling actually comfortable and fitted to your foot. I recommend leather shoes because of this stretching leads them to a very custom close fit. If you buy synthetic it will stretch much less, so go for something as tight as you can but without causing pain.

for shoe width on wide feet you just are going to have to try on several models. If you can't get your foot in then you cant get your foot in. The most important part is that your big toe is positioned snugly against the inner tip of the shoe. This is what you will be standing on on small footholds. If your big toe can wiggle sideways the "edge" of the shoe can fold and deform during a climb and slide you right off of your feet.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
CatNzHat
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1599 Posts
September 06 2013 20:47 GMT
#40
On September 06 2013 06:15 AirbladeOrange wrote:
Any advice or tips on how to get into the sport?

head down to your local climbing gym and take their intro to climbing class (the all have one). You'll learn how to tie in as a climber and belayer and get some very basic pointers on technique. If you enjoy it, then keep climbing, invest in a pair of shoes and maybe a chalk bag and some chalk, and then keep on climbing.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 25m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 208
ProTech133
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17584
Rain 1465
GuemChi 625
sSak 36
NaDa 28
Bale 16
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm199
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 470
minikerr35
Coldzera 32
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1022
Mew2King84
Other Games
summit1g6223
JimRising 628
WinterStarcraft571
C9.Mang0139
ViBE118
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1036
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream42
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Light_VIP 17
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo676
• Stunt330
Other Games
• Scarra905
• Shiphtur573
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
6h 25m
INu's Battles
7h 25m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
9h 25m
OSC
18h 40m
Replay Cast
19h 25m
OSC
1d 19h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.