• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:57
CEST 04:57
KST 11:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8419 users

TL Learn Korean Thread - Page 11

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 20 Next All
Suc
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Australia1569 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-24 14:59:40
January 24 2012 14:52 GMT
#201
On January 23 2012 21:52 Escoffier wrote:
so, I was told that은/는 and 이/가 are subject particles. How do I know when to use either of them? Are they both appropriate in each others' place?

for example
가방은 침대 위에 있습니다
and
가방이 침대 위에 있습니다

is the 2nd one incorrect? maybe I picked a bad example that doesn't show the difference between 은/는 and 이/가.
thanks for any answers

I would say the first one is more correct than the second one, but that's not to say the second one is incorrect.

은/는 are topic particles, whereas 이/가 are subject particles. I'm not fluent or anything, so I'm not super qualified to answer, but a tip that may help you that I've heard is usually new information about something is introduced after a topic particle and if you use a subject particle, that information comes before it.

Also, the topic particles have a rough translation of "as for..." that may help. e.g. 저는 대학교에 다녀요, which means "As for me, I go to university". Although the 저는 is redundant since it can be inferred from the context that it is I who go to university... you'll find this a lot in Korean, where you can infer, words are dropped.

Or if someone asks you 나이가 어떻게 돼요? = How old are you? and you respond with with your age, you can reframe the question back at them by simply saying [person's name]씨는 요? = What about you/As for you? That 씨 there is kinda like Mr, but is used with people you are not familiar/close with generally (unless they're younger).

If you've done Chinese, French, Italian or Japanese, this x는 요? is basically equated to 你呢?(Ni ne? [fuck tones lol]), et toi/et vous?, e tu/e Lei? and [person's name]さんは?

Hope I somewhat helped you and didn't confuse you too much :S

edit: I'm guessing you probably wouldn't have done Japanese before since you're asking about subject and topic particles.. heh.


On January 22 2012 20:50 mizU wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 19 2012 10:35 Suc wrote:
On January 18 2012 12:39 Sansai wrote:
On January 18 2012 00:29 kestry wrote:
On January 17 2012 13:28 greenmarine wrote:
On January 16 2012 10:45 Suc wrote:
tl;dr: You find some helpful similarities and will probably have an easier time than others picking up the basics.


Thanks. Knowing that there are so many similarities makes it easier for me to motivate myself to study.

That and Kanji was always the thing I hated most about Japanese. To have to memorize over a thousand characters just to read a newspaper is just ridiculous to me. In hindsight, I probably would've done alot better taking Korean in college instead, or maybe both like you.


Even the Kanji can be helpful because the majority of the Korean vocabulary is based on Chinese. Korea also has some Japanese borrowed words too, like promise and ready.

thats why you have to do hanja, exam on friday T.T

I heard that nowadays less and less hanja is being used in Korea. I'm not sure 100%, but a Korean guy at uni told me that hanja is no longer compulsory to learn in school in Korea.

That's not to say you shouldn't learn it though.

On January 19 2012 02:22 greenelve wrote:
i dont know how many out there willing to learn korean..but i am know

tl/iccup: greenelve
skype: greenelve2
knowledge: almost able to read "jinro" in korean ^^x so not much yet..

Technically 진로 would be Jil-lo, just to confuse you even more ^^


How is that Jillo?

My roommate from KU took a hanja test. I'm sure it helps you get into a better college if you do have that hanja certification, but I'm not sure if it's mandatory.

Another relevant one that you might have heard on streams is 완료, wallyo = complete. I think I've heard 유닛 완료 heaps (I'll leave it to you to decipher the complex translation here ;D). It was so hard before I knew other pronunciations trying to pronounce it quickly, wanryo.
FuRong
Profile Joined April 2010
New Zealand3089 Posts
January 24 2012 15:31 GMT
#202
The above me's post is really good, Korean uses a lot more topic-->comment type sentences than English so it can he hard to get used to the difference, but if you think of it in that way then it's easier. I have some more information about 은/는 and 이/가 that I got from my teacher last semester, I'll post it here when I have time.
Don't hate the player, hate the game
lungic
Profile Joined January 2012
Sweden123 Posts
January 24 2012 16:18 GMT
#203
Hi. First post, long time lurker.

I've been studying japanese on and off for the last two years or so. I'm no language wiz and I'm in no rush to learn. One (paid) resource site I really loved so far is japanesepod101.com. Not really because I learn so much from it, but rather how one get's exposure to translated content each day.

I have a wish to learn korean one day, though I really must get a better at Japanese first. Have anyone tried korean101.com?
)Messer(
Profile Joined March 2011
Poland95 Posts
January 24 2012 18:29 GMT
#204
On January 18 2012 12:24 Froadac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 17 2012 01:50 )Messer( wrote:
I haven't read everything. Is this still running or will be? Or just everyone learn individually?

Well, I'll try to get some sort of skype/practice group set up. Apart from that I'm not sure.

Ok, count me in when you try and 'make it happen'. I'll PM you with my skype and everything.
thx bye
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
January 25 2012 04:12 GMT
#205
Sure thing. I'm probably going to make a skype group and we can set up regular meetings.
KnowYenemy
Profile Joined January 2012
Germany45 Posts
January 25 2012 15:07 GMT
#206
I am trying to learn korean right now at the EWHA University in Seoul. Right now I am taking the regular courses level 2.
Would really like to join the Skype practice group though.
Escoffier
Profile Joined May 2010
United States120 Posts
January 29 2012 14:51 GMT
#207
I found a great website to help me memorize vocab/verbs/other stuff in korean. I was using flash cards before, but this website is more interactive and I've seen a huge difference in my retention.
If anyone's learning korean through seemile.com I have the verbs lesson uploaded here. If anyone is interested in other lessons I can do the rest of the lessons as I go through seemile.com's videos.
Left4Cookies
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Denmark803 Posts
January 29 2012 18:53 GMT
#208
I've been lurking in this thread for a while. First post incoming!!

What if you are at a Korean restaurant/café with your friends (who don't speak Korean). Do you say 잘 먹겠습니다/잘 먹었습니다 to the waiter when he/she brings/takes out the food?
Engineering's like math. But LOUDER!
Chill
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
Calgary26003 Posts
January 29 2012 19:08 GMT
#209
No. The waiter didn't cook the food.
Moderator
Left4Cookies
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Denmark803 Posts
January 30 2012 16:06 GMT
#210
On January 30 2012 04:08 Chill wrote:
No. The waiter didn't cook the food.


Makes sense. Thanks!
Engineering's like math. But LOUDER!
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
February 02 2012 05:45 GMT
#211
So weird. White girl next to me in calculus speaks korean. Has had stepmom since she was 2 who was korean, isn't fluent, but is pretty good. So random.
mizU
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States12125 Posts
February 02 2012 12:09 GMT
#212
Anyone have twitters? We can practice on twitter ^^
if happy ever afters did exist <3 @watamizu_
shublar
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Korea (South)264 Posts
February 02 2012 15:38 GMT
#213
@eugmak! learning now!! will be in korea for exchange in 6 months from now!
@eugmak - www.twitch.tv/shublar - www.ausproleague.com
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
February 03 2012 00:48 GMT
#214
haha. I do

@Froadac
stablol
Profile Joined July 2011
United States82 Posts
February 07 2012 13:19 GMT
#215
아직 스카이프 있어요? 아이ㅆ
보아 사랑해요 짱
Escoffier
Profile Joined May 2010
United States120 Posts
February 07 2012 19:09 GMT
#216
I have trouble listening to korean and writing down the hangul. I think it's because the written language has redundancies where 3 or 4 different ways of writing out the words can produce the exact same pronunciation. what are some tips to help my listening skills? things like 애 and 에 sound exactly the same, and I don't know if when listening to something, the way to write some syllables is for example 합아 or 하바.
anyone know what I'm talking about? lol
Spekulatius
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany2413 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-08 22:49:19
February 07 2012 19:20 GMT
#217
On February 08 2012 04:09 Escoffier wrote:
I have trouble listening to korean and writing down the hangul. I think it's because the written language has redundancies where 3 or 4 different ways of writing out the words can produce the exact same pronunciation. what are some tips to help my listening skills? things like 애 and 에 sound exactly the same, and I don't know if when listening to something, the way to write some syllables is for example 합아 or 하바.
anyone know what I'm talking about? lol

I asked the same question earlier in this thread. Seems like there is no difference in enunciation, just gotta learn it by heart.

edit: nvm
Always smile~
Hemula
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Russian Federation1849 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-10 14:53:31
February 10 2012 13:53 GMT
#218
Didn't know that this thread exists until I searched it a minute ago. I have been learning korean for more than one and half a year now... The biggest 문제 so far for me is practice, I just don't know where to start. Tried reading Harry Potter in korean but it was a fail. Chatting is good and after a couple of days I learned how to write in 한글 almost as fast as I can in english and in russian, but while chatting is a good way to get you make actual sentences, it is not very good for learning purposes.
There are like only two korean dramas that have korean subs with them, and I don't like both of them.
I listen to talktomeinkorean on my mp3 player and do homework for the school where I am studying it, but it is only one day a week, so you know... It is not very effective. Naver 사전 is a great help, but I just don't know where to start. News sites? Tried that too, made me cringe... I have to start somewhere, but everything looks so hard...

한국어 문법 어렵고 한국어 단어 더 힘들지만 언제든지 공부하기 시작해야 됨... 도와주세요!

P.S. I found some links on the first page to be useful.
KillerDucky
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States498 Posts
February 11 2012 04:09 GMT
#219
On February 10 2012 22:53 Hemula wrote:
Didn't know that this thread exists until I searched it a minute ago. I have been learning korean for more than one and half a year now... The biggest 문제 so far for me is practice, I just don't know where to start. Tried reading Harry Potter in korean but it was a fail. Chatting is good and after a couple of days I learned how to write in 한글 almost as fast as I can in english and in russian, but while chatting is a good way to get you make actual sentences, it is not very good for learning purposes.
There are like only two korean dramas that have korean subs with them, and I don't like both of them.
I listen to talktomeinkorean on my mp3 player and do homework for the school where I am studying it, but it is only one day a week, so you know... It is not very effective. Naver 사전 is a great help, but I just don't know where to start. News sites? Tried that too, made me cringe... I have to start somewhere, but everything looks so hard...

한국어 문법 어렵고 한국어 단어 더 힘들지만 언제든지 공부하기 시작해야 됨... 도와주세요!

P.S. I found some links on the first page to be useful.


Well you are much further than me so I'm curious about your experience. Why was Harry Potter fail? I'm guessing too much unknown vocab? How about the grammar? What about news, why was it cringe-worthy? What about reading short articles/interviews on subjects you're interested in. Like to go to gomtv.com and read player interviews etc. I think it would be important for it to be short, so you can get through it. Also if you kept reading things in the same domain the vocab will repeat more.

Do you use an SRS flashcard program like Anki? For me I find it the best way to really drill things. I get new vocab/grammar from TTMIK and other places. Cut the sample sentences from the TTMIK mp3s, then put that, the Korean sentence, the English translation, and maybe some notes all into Anki. So then I drill myself on them.

MarineKingPrime Forever!
Hemula
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Russian Federation1849 Posts
February 11 2012 15:25 GMT
#220
On February 11 2012 13:09 KillerDucky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 10 2012 22:53 Hemula wrote:
Didn't know that this thread exists until I searched it a minute ago. I have been learning korean for more than one and half a year now... The biggest 문제 so far for me is practice, I just don't know where to start. Tried reading Harry Potter in korean but it was a fail. Chatting is good and after a couple of days I learned how to write in 한글 almost as fast as I can in english and in russian, but while chatting is a good way to get you make actual sentences, it is not very good for learning purposes.
There are like only two korean dramas that have korean subs with them, and I don't like both of them.
I listen to talktomeinkorean on my mp3 player and do homework for the school where I am studying it, but it is only one day a week, so you know... It is not very effective. Naver 사전 is a great help, but I just don't know where to start. News sites? Tried that too, made me cringe... I have to start somewhere, but everything looks so hard...

한국어 문법 어렵고 한국어 단어 더 힘들지만 언제든지 공부하기 시작해야 됨... 도와주세요!

P.S. I found some links on the first page to be useful.


Well you are much further than me so I'm curious about your experience. Why was Harry Potter fail? I'm guessing too much unknown vocab? How about the grammar? What about news, why was it cringe-worthy? What about reading short articles/interviews on subjects you're interested in. Like to go to gomtv.com and read player interviews etc. I think it would be important for it to be short, so you can get through it. Also if you kept reading things in the same domain the vocab will repeat more.

Do you use an SRS flashcard program like Anki? For me I find it the best way to really drill things. I get new vocab/grammar from TTMIK and other places. Cut the sample sentences from the TTMIK mp3s, then put that, the Korean sentence, the English translation, and maybe some notes all into Anki. So then I drill myself on them.


Yes, too much unkown vocabulary is the main reason why everything is so hard for me. While my grammar is on a pretty good level, I severely lack in vocabulary... But that alone is not the reason why Harry Potter is hard. Because it is a translation, sometimes it has translation twists that are too hard to understand. Probability, that you will meet any of them in "real life" is very low. Of course as it is Harry Potter - a pretty simply-written book, it is not like that all the time. Mainly it is ok. Dialogues are easy, too.

News... Check them yourself. http://playforum.net/
Sometimes they are ok, sometimes you don't know a word in a sentence. Still fun, though.

I am usually too lazy to read more than a line or two in player interviews, again, because of lack of vocabulary.

I've never used flashcards, so I don't know. I just don't like it. My way is - when I read a new word, I look for the meaning in a dictionary and read all the sample sentences I can find for the word.
http://endic.naver.com/ works just great.
I hope that helps.

Sample sentences from TTIMK are too simple for me, so...
I think I need to pull myself together and start reading either interviews or news more often.
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 20 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 200
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 564
NaDa 50
TT1 1
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm196
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g10181
JimRising 738
WinterStarcraft325
Mew2King93
ViBE93
ArmadaUGS44
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1354
BasetradeTV255
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream151
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 91
• davetesta42
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush613
• Lourlo425
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 3m
INu's Battles
9h 3m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
12h 3m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 3m
Replay Cast
20h 3m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 8h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.