• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:57
CEST 04:57
KST 11:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8419 users

TL Learn Korean Thread - Page 12

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 20 Next All
stablol
Profile Joined July 2011
United States82 Posts
February 11 2012 17:21 GMT
#221
naver dictionary is really amazing
보아 사랑해요 짱
Phrujbaz
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Netherlands512 Posts
February 11 2012 18:13 GMT
#222
I'm from The Netherlands but I've been studying Korean for several years. My girlfriend and I talk mostly in Korean. I'm currently studying for TOPIK.

Send me a PM if you want to talk on MSN or w/e, regardless of your level. Sometimes it helps to talk with foreigners because they can explain grammar better than native speakers. Native speakers 'just know' it, so it's harder for them to explain.
Caution! Future approaching rapidly at a rate of about 60 seconds per minute.
KillerDucky
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States498 Posts
February 11 2012 19:50 GMT
#223
On February 12 2012 00:25 Hemula wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 11 2012 13:09 KillerDucky wrote:
On February 10 2012 22:53 Hemula wrote:
Didn't know that this thread exists until I searched it a minute ago. I have been learning korean for more than one and half a year now... The biggest 문제 so far for me is practice, I just don't know where to start. Tried reading Harry Potter in korean but it was a fail. Chatting is good and after a couple of days I learned how to write in 한글 almost as fast as I can in english and in russian, but while chatting is a good way to get you make actual sentences, it is not very good for learning purposes.
There are like only two korean dramas that have korean subs with them, and I don't like both of them.
I listen to talktomeinkorean on my mp3 player and do homework for the school where I am studying it, but it is only one day a week, so you know... It is not very effective. Naver 사전 is a great help, but I just don't know where to start. News sites? Tried that too, made me cringe... I have to start somewhere, but everything looks so hard...

한국어 문법 어렵고 한국어 단어 더 힘들지만 언제든지 공부하기 시작해야 됨... 도와주세요!

P.S. I found some links on the first page to be useful.


Well you are much further than me so I'm curious about your experience. Why was Harry Potter fail? I'm guessing too much unknown vocab? How about the grammar? What about news, why was it cringe-worthy? What about reading short articles/interviews on subjects you're interested in. Like to go to gomtv.com and read player interviews etc. I think it would be important for it to be short, so you can get through it. Also if you kept reading things in the same domain the vocab will repeat more.

Do you use an SRS flashcard program like Anki? For me I find it the best way to really drill things. I get new vocab/grammar from TTMIK and other places. Cut the sample sentences from the TTMIK mp3s, then put that, the Korean sentence, the English translation, and maybe some notes all into Anki. So then I drill myself on them.


Yes, too much unkown vocabulary is the main reason why everything is so hard for me. While my grammar is on a pretty good level, I severely lack in vocabulary... But that alone is not the reason why Harry Potter is hard. Because it is a translation, sometimes it has translation twists that are too hard to understand. Probability, that you will meet any of them in "real life" is very low. Of course as it is Harry Potter - a pretty simply-written book, it is not like that all the time. Mainly it is ok. Dialogues are easy, too.

News... Check them yourself. http://playforum.net/
Sometimes they are ok, sometimes you don't know a word in a sentence. Still fun, though.

I am usually too lazy to read more than a line or two in player interviews, again, because of lack of vocabulary.

I've never used flashcards, so I don't know. I just don't like it. My way is - when I read a new word, I look for the meaning in a dictionary and read all the sample sentences I can find for the word.
http://endic.naver.com/ works just great.
I hope that helps.

Sample sentences from TTIMK are too simple for me, so...
I think I need to pull myself together and start reading either interviews or news more often.


Reading all the sample sentences from the dictionary entry for a word sounds great. But after that, I would stick several of those example sentences into Anki, so that I get the repetitions needed to keep the word in long term memory. Maybe also blank out the target vocab word and force yourself to remember it. Do you find that you can remember the words you look up in the dictionary after a month? For me if I just read the dictionary entry sure I would remember it short term, but after just a couple days I would have to look up the same word in the dictionary again. That's just inefficient.

MarineKingPrime Forever!
FuRong
Profile Joined April 2010
New Zealand3089 Posts
February 14 2012 02:16 GMT
#224
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for Korean podcasts? I'm looking to improve my listening, but when I did a search on Itunes the content seems pretty disorganised, so I'm not sure where to start.

I don't want the typical "learn Korean" podcasts with English explanation, just something interesting with people talking about a topic (any topic, I don't really mind) that is aimed at native speakers.

Suggestions?
Don't hate the player, hate the game
mizU
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States12125 Posts
February 14 2012 03:45 GMT
#225
So podcasts in Korean, by natives, just on a topic?
if happy ever afters did exist <3 @watamizu_
mtvacuum
Profile Joined January 2010
United States979 Posts
February 14 2012 03:49 GMT
#226
On February 14 2012 11:16 FuRong wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for Korean podcasts? I'm looking to improve my listening, but when I did a search on Itunes the content seems pretty disorganised, so I'm not sure where to start.

I don't want the typical "learn Korean" podcasts with English explanation, just something interesting with people talking about a topic (any topic, I don't really mind) that is aimed at native speakers.

Suggestions?


try the audio blogs in the advanced section of KoreanClass101 or the TTMIK Iyagi series here http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/category/shows/iyagi-intermediate/
stablol
Profile Joined July 2011
United States82 Posts
February 14 2012 11:47 GMT
#227
yes i was gonna say
just listen to the ttmik 100% korean talks
보아 사랑해요 짱
DKR
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom622 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-16 15:37:13
February 16 2012 15:22 GMT
#228
TL Name - DKR
Real name - Wil Martin
Skype - wil.martin
What you know - am most of the way through TalkToMeInKorean Level 1 so very basic
Goals - Would like to speak fluently one day, intend to teach in korea for at least a year

Learner
"1 base. Cheese man." - MKP. "[MVP] is not stylistic, his style is winning, which is the style you want to have." - Artosis
FuRong
Profile Joined April 2010
New Zealand3089 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-16 15:40:15
February 16 2012 15:38 GMT
#229
Thanks guys, I looked into the TTMIK talks and they're not bad, I didn't actually realise they had this kind of stuff.

My friend also recommended a radio program called 컬투쇼, you can find it on iTunes. It seems pretty good so far if anyone wants to check it out.
Don't hate the player, hate the game
Zaros
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom3692 Posts
February 16 2012 17:24 GMT
#230
Might try to learn some korean whenever i have nothing to do, thx for the information.
DKR
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom622 Posts
February 17 2012 02:08 GMT
#231
When learning to speak, is the learning to read hangul just as important or is this something more important to a more advanced learner.

Some resources seem to differ in opinion!
"1 base. Cheese man." - MKP. "[MVP] is not stylistic, his style is winning, which is the style you want to have." - Artosis
SoraLimit
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada747 Posts
February 17 2012 02:24 GMT
#232
On February 17 2012 11:08 DKR wrote:
When learning to speak, is the learning to read hangul just as important or is this something more important to a more advanced learner.

Some resources seem to differ in opinion!

I don't see why you shouldn't learn Hangeul when you want to speak. There's a bunch of resources out there, but some don't exactly follow the same romanization, and some with different dialects, if you're learning from podcasts. At least with hangeul, it's mostly consistent, assuming that you already memorize hangeul, and not reliant on romanization.
mtvacuum
Profile Joined January 2010
United States979 Posts
February 17 2012 02:37 GMT
#233
On February 17 2012 11:08 DKR wrote:
When learning to speak, is the learning to read hangul just as important or is this something more important to a more advanced learner.

Some resources seem to differ in opinion!


Hangul should be the very first thing you learn, and it takes a couple hours at most. Romanization is a joke, don't ever look at it since it will just confuse you and mess up your pronunciation.
greenmarine
Profile Joined January 2012
19 Posts
February 17 2012 06:14 GMT
#234
I'm guessing this comes from experience but I often have trouble hearing a word and being able to spell it so I can look it up in a dictionary. Mostly this comes from misplacing consonants.

For example, I hear "han-gu-geo" so I try to look up 한구거 but get nothing of course because it's spelled 한국어 even though the pronunciation would be the same as far as I can tell. Does this ever get easier? Besides having more experience and an expanded vocabulary, are there actually things I should be listening for?
SoraLimit
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada747 Posts
February 17 2012 07:16 GMT
#235
On February 17 2012 15:14 greenmarine wrote:
I'm guessing this comes from experience but I often have trouble hearing a word and being able to spell it so I can look it up in a dictionary. Mostly this comes from misplacing consonants.

For example, I hear "han-gu-geo" so I try to look up 한구거 but get nothing of course because it's spelled 한국어 even though the pronunciation would be the same as far as I can tell. Does this ever get easier? Besides having more experience and an expanded vocabulary, are there actually things I should be listening for?


It's all from experience, and trial and error. Can't get away with it. It helps though, if you already know rules to what you're looking for. For example, 어 (eo) in 한국어 (han-gu-geo) usually denotes language, if its followed by a country.

It's hard at first, but it's not uncommon in the opposite situation as well, when someone is learning English, since they have the same common problem. (Like the silent "P" in Pneumatized Carapace)
HeavOnEarth
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States7087 Posts
February 17 2012 07:37 GMT
#236
i could care les about speaking korean cuz ill never maintain it . but u guys know some funny shit to say to koreans on ladder?
"come korea next time... FXO house... 10 korean, 10 korean"
brainox
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany292 Posts
February 17 2012 08:19 GMT
#237
On February 17 2012 16:37 HeavOnEarth wrote:
i could care les about speaking korean cuz ill never maintain it . but u guys know some funny shit to say to koreans on ladder?

so you can bm them or just something funny^^
brainox
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany292 Posts
February 17 2012 08:20 GMT
#238
anyone else heard about the show Happy together season 3? Cause in march there will be a progamer guests i think. At least Boxer and his girlfriend were there and i think yellow and nada too
qzlsecret
Profile Joined February 2011
Mexico126 Posts
February 17 2012 08:22 GMT
#239
i was looking for somethign like these thanks
Suc
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Australia1569 Posts
February 17 2012 14:32 GMT
#240
On February 17 2012 16:37 HeavOnEarth wrote:
i could care les about speaking korean cuz ill never maintain it . but u guys know some funny shit to say to koreans on ladder?

As Boxer said to Yellow in their showmatch ages ago:
테란 사기
terran sagi
(basically: terran is bs)
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 20 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 200
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 564
NaDa 50
TT1 1
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm196
LuMiX0
Other Games
summit1g10181
JimRising 738
WinterStarcraft325
Mew2King93
ViBE93
ArmadaUGS44
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1354
BasetradeTV255
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream151
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 91
• davetesta42
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush613
• Lourlo425
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7h 3m
INu's Battles
9h 3m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
12h 3m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
16h 3m
Replay Cast
20h 3m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 8h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.