• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:15
CEST 16:15
KST 23:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7377 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 125

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 123 124 125 126 127 653 Next
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
May 07 2012 02:49 GMT
#2481
On May 07 2012 11:16 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 07 2012 11:10 JingleHell wrote:
I was trying to go off the second paragraph, where he tried to explain what he was asking in more uncertain terms, and it looked like he wanted a RAMdisk without the dangers of using one on a lappy.

Volatile storage + installed software + battery = a new thread waiting to happen.

Oh, and let's not forget that even without that, it wouldn't actually help with the issue he wanted to avoid, since at shutdown all that data has to goto the SSD anyways.

Unless RAMdisk works a lot better than I think it does, it wouldn't really do what he was wanting.


His second paragraph was asking the exact same question as the first: "I was wondering whether for games like Diablo 3 the OS would attempt to move as many game files as possible into the RAM for faster level loading times?"

The answer to that is exactly the same: yes. No where did he ask about a RAM disk, that was SkyR who brought it up.

And if anything, the fact that a laptop has a built in battery backup actually makes is a safer platform for using a RAMdisk as a power outage won't result in instant data loss.


Ok, so clearly you've pwned me at understanding that question. Am I supposed to butter you up now?
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
May 07 2012 03:17 GMT
#2482
On May 07 2012 11:12 boon2537 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 07 2012 10:06 Myrmidon wrote:
Why not just keep running Windows off of the old hard drive?

Do you need a laptop now? If you can wait a month or two, it may be worth waiting for laptops with a 3rd-gen (Ivy Bridge) Core i5 or i3. Those would be great for gaming on low and at a decent price, size, and weight.


Well, the old hard drive is about 4 years old, so I'm a bit afraid that it might die someday.
Thanks for the head up on the Ivy Bridge. Those laptops sure look sexy. But from what I've seen they're mostly above $1000. Is there any specific model I should look forward to?

I'd consider just a cheaper smaller 7200 rpm drive now and more storage later in several months or whenever necessary, hopefully after prices have dropped back down again. Though really, 2TB 7200 rpm drives aren't that much more expensive than 2TB Caviar Greens.

Ivy Bridge laptops should be around the same price points as current Intel laptops. The issue now is that only expensive Core i7 model laptops are currently available. I'd look for any kind of reasonably-sturdy small-business type of laptop (e.g. Thinkpad Edge?), so it hopefully won't fall apart immediately.
Leetley
Profile Joined October 2010
1796 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-07 10:28:53
May 07 2012 10:28 GMT
#2483
I have PII X3 3.2 Ghz (B50, 555 with 3 cores unlocked) and Ati 5770. There's good deal for me to buy 560 Ti 448. Would my CPU be a huge bottleneck or would I still get the most performance out of the GPU?
Wabbit
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1028 Posts
May 07 2012 16:09 GMT
#2484
On May 07 2012 19:28 Leetley wrote:
I have PII X3 3.2 Ghz (B50, 555 with 3 cores unlocked) and Ati 5770. There's good deal for me to buy 560 Ti 448. Would my CPU be a huge bottleneck or would I still get the most performance out of the GPU?


Take notice everyone else, this question is asked properly.

Yes, you will get most of the performance out of that GPU upgrade in most games. There are, of course, exceptions (like SC2 and Skyrim), but even in games like Skyrim it would be a noticeable upgrade (in SC2 not really at all but that's more the exception rather than the norm). Phenom II x3 is still fine for gaming.
The answers to most of your Tech Support questions are in the OP. That's why you're not getting a reply. It's been answered before. Read the OP.
Amestir
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands2126 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-07 18:05:27
May 07 2012 18:02 GMT
#2485
So uhm, I hope this is simple. Last night I defragged my PC like normal with defragger, http://www.piriform.com/defraggler. Has worked fine for me untill now. When I returned I had an error, but stupidly enough I didn't really pay attention and just closed it and turned off my pc.

Now when I turn my pc on it says my Hard drive disk is failling and that I should back up my files right now and get a new hard disk. I assume this is bad.

The strange thing is, my pc works 100% fine.

Any tips / help?

Edit: might be important to note: I do not have a back up, don't own a large enough extrenal hard drive to save it on :/
We know nothing.
Nabutso
Profile Joined April 2011
351 Posts
May 07 2012 18:18 GMT
#2486
On May 08 2012 03:02 Amestir wrote:
So uhm, I hope this is simple. Last night I defragged my PC like normal with defragger, http://www.piriform.com/defraggler. Has worked fine for me untill now. When I returned I had an error, but stupidly enough I didn't really pay attention and just closed it and turned off my pc.

Now when I turn my pc on it says my Hard drive disk is failling and that I should back up my files right now and get a new hard disk. I assume this is bad.

The strange thing is, my pc works 100% fine.

Any tips / help?

Edit: might be important to note: I do not have a back up, don't own a large enough extrenal hard drive to save it on :/

This may be a virus, with the defragger from earlier being just a coincidence. This happened to my friend, it looks like real errors and all, but it's just a virus. Can you take a screenshot of the actual errors that appear to confirm this?
Amestir
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands2126 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-07 18:32:48
May 07 2012 18:21 GMT
#2487
On May 08 2012 03:18 Nabutso wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 08 2012 03:02 Amestir wrote:
So uhm, I hope this is simple. Last night I defragged my PC like normal with defragger, http://www.piriform.com/defraggler. Has worked fine for me untill now. When I returned I had an error, but stupidly enough I didn't really pay attention and just closed it and turned off my pc.

Now when I turn my pc on it says my Hard drive disk is failling and that I should back up my files right now and get a new hard disk. I assume this is bad.

The strange thing is, my pc works 100% fine.

Any tips / help?

Edit: might be important to note: I do not have a back up, don't own a large enough extrenal hard drive to save it on :/

This may be a virus, with the defragger from earlier being just a coincidence. This happened to my friend, it looks like real errors and all, but it's just a virus. Can you take a screenshot of the actual errors that appear to confirm this?


Tyvm for your reply, Printscreen wouldn't help since the errors are in dutch However they are very basic. As soon as I put my pc on I get a screen which says some details about my system with hard drive status: bad, then it goes to motherboard screen and loads as normal. As soon as I log in on my account it says "hard disk failing, back up your files and get a new hard disk"

Edit: Added an image just in case.

[image loading]
We know nothing.
Amestir
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands2126 Posts
May 07 2012 18:48 GMT
#2488
So, pc just froze. Turned it off :/

I'm scared :o
We know nothing.
EdenPLusDucky
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
571 Posts
May 07 2012 19:05 GMT
#2489
If it only happened once, it usually isn't a big deal
Amestir
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands2126 Posts
May 07 2012 19:17 GMT
#2490
Screen freezes have been happening more then once, for quite sometime. Have called a friend with an external hdd to make a back up. Hdd is probably dead :/
We know nothing.
Nabutso
Profile Joined April 2011
351 Posts
May 07 2012 20:00 GMT
#2491
Yeah that looks like a real error message, sounds like the defrag uncovered some issues and your HDD is slowly dieing, sorry.
Thezftw
Profile Joined June 2011
Finland116 Posts
May 07 2012 20:48 GMT
#2492
On May 07 2012 10:50 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 06 2012 08:50 JingleHell wrote:
On May 06 2012 08:42 moltenlead wrote:
I have a pretty noobish question.

Does the OS attempt to store entire programs into the RAM to access the files more quickly if there was sufficient space free in the RAM?

The more specific scenario that I'm looking at: I have just ordered a laptop with 16gb of RAM (It was a $20 upgrade over the 8gb, so I decided to grab it since I wouldn't find it cheaper elsewhere) and I was wondering whether for games like Diablo 3 the OS would attempt to move as many game files as possible into the RAM for faster level loading times? I don't want to put it on my SSD because a 128gb drive gets eaten up very quickly with 12gb installs, but I would still like some decent loading times.


Your initial question and your final question are almost unrelated. To a point, yes, the PC can load more to RAM once you start the program. You can NOT, however, install things to RAM. Which I think is what you were asking towards the end?

16GB RAM is likely to massively exceed your ability to gain any increased load times.


You are completely and totally wrong here.

Yes, windows does pre-load applications into memory when there is sufficient free RAM to do so, it's called Superfetch. Wikipedia that shit. I don't know how much of an improvement in application start-up times would be seen with 16 versus 8 GB of RAM. Though it is entirely possible that he would see an improvement. Also, you can install things to RAM, as SkyR pointed out, so you're wrong again.
Superfetch may decrease the time it takes to actually launch the game itself (altho I doubt anyone has issues with Blizz games starting up as they all are very barebone until you actually enter the game world (WoW) or you're past the loading screens (SC). Same applies to Diablo of course.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
May 07 2012 23:59 GMT
#2493
I'm annoyed by my friends overclock, I have no problem getting it to 4.3, but the voltage keeps being on auto, and I can't find the voltage control in his BIOS. Its a P67LE, and I found it earlier but I must have hit something to get rid of voltage. It is always running a bit high - right now the voltage is at like 1.32 and I would like to lower it, but I can't find the setting. Any help? I can find out a way to post basic pictures if need be, but does anybody know if there's a setting that I stupidly toggled off? Only voltage controls I saw were the VCCIO voltage and PLL voltage I think. (Second one might be wrong, but they are both set at 1.05V) and DRAM, but that's not important.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
May 08 2012 00:03 GMT
#2494
Voltage control on ASUS's 8 series boards are all under AI Tweaker.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-08 00:10:09
May 08 2012 00:08 GMT
#2495
I swear I looked under there already, I feel like I must have disabled something? I will reboot one more time and doublecheck. To clarify, the "manual voltage" setting appears to be missing.

I've been seeing a couple threads around the internetz that say it's missing a manual Vcore setting, which sounds stupid... is there anything to that? (specifically the p8p67le)
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
May 08 2012 00:10 GMT
#2496
Only offset is available for LE.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
May 08 2012 00:12 GMT
#2497
Is there any way to get around being stuck on auto voltage then? Or is it stuck? And as far as I know, at least 1.328 (max I've seen it at) should still be plenty safe for the processor correct?
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
May 08 2012 00:13 GMT
#2498
You're stuck with offset, 1.328 is fine.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
May 08 2012 00:14 GMT
#2499
Alright, thanks much!
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
HotCookies
Profile Joined January 2011
Greece149 Posts
May 08 2012 07:26 GMT
#2500
Will an SSD increase framerate in Starcraft2?
Prev 1 123 124 125 126 127 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1105
RotterdaM632
SteadfastSC290
TKL 229
Rex134
CosmosSc2 37
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 632
SteadfastSC 290
TKL 229
Rex 134
CosmosSc2 37
ProTech33
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 42686
Calm 2840
Shuttle 2376
Jaedong 1594
Horang2 932
actioN 641
Mini 586
Soma 512
EffOrt 446
Soulkey 442
[ Show more ]
Stork 331
Rush 304
Larva 243
ZerO 223
BeSt 223
Snow 188
Mong 138
firebathero 132
Zeus 94
Mind 82
hero 70
910 69
Free 62
sorry 59
Hyun 47
Yoon 45
Sharp 45
Shine 37
Shinee 36
PianO 35
Pusan 31
JYJ 29
ToSsGirL 26
Bale 23
Aegong 22
Sexy 22
Terrorterran 20
HiyA 17
Hm[arnc] 16
Killer 13
Rock 12
Sacsri 12
scan(afreeca) 12
Noble 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5476
Dendi1284
Counter-Strike
fl0m2218
Fnx 596
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King175
ChuDatz19
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko371
Other Games
singsing2199
hiko702
crisheroes613
B2W.Neo306
DeMusliM227
Khaldor188
Livibee183
Pyrionflax174
Liquid`VortiX147
Liquid`RaSZi111
Trikslyr69
QueenE60
dupreeh43
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1403
Other Games
BasetradeTV192
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH231
• mYiSmile15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2077
• Jankos1586
• TFBlade593
• Noizen108
Other Games
• Shiphtur625
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 45m
The PondCast
19h 45m
INu's Battles
20h 45m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.