• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:02
CEST 12:02
KST 19:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War615.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6410 users

[Guideline] SC2 Computers - Page 25

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 27 66 Next
Prozen
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States338 Posts
March 13 2010 23:53 GMT
#481
Yeah, the links don't work.
To transcend beyond greatness, you must become greatness itself.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-14 00:29:26
March 14 2010 00:28 GMT
#482
On March 14 2010 08:16 PaleMan wrote:
so guys I've read through the thread but still undecided
could you please recommend me what should I buy in order to run SC2 smoothly at high settings if I have $1000 budget (desktop comp)

I just need Case, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Video Card, fast HDD and Windows 7 (64 bit or not)?

I hope this comp will be able to run Diablo III on high settings too when it will be released


I would advise you to wait for the release of the Nvidia 4xx cards on March 26 before making any purchases unless you need the computer right away.

You can either go AMD or Intel with that budget at the moment, and the AMD will probably be a bit stronger in graphics.

but are you in Russia and if so would that be $1000 in Rubles?
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Slunk
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Germany768 Posts
March 14 2010 01:20 GMT
#483
Hi guys. I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask, but i'll try it anyway.
I am using a laptop to play Starcraft 2 and it worked perfectly in the beginning, but now, after a week or so, I only can play 2 games in a row before my framerate starts dropping doen into the one-digit-range making the game unplayable. I am really clueless about what could cause those FPS drops. It does not even happen during a battle, it seems more like random.
Here is some information ob my laptop:

CPU: Pentium Dualcore T4300 @ 2,1 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA G210M
Resolution: 1600x900
RAM: 4GB

I am playing on low settings.
AtoMcroms
Profile Joined May 2009
Spain10 Posts
March 14 2010 01:56 GMT
#484
On March 14 2010 10:20 Slunk wrote:
Hi guys. I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask, but i'll try it anyway.
I am using a laptop to play Starcraft 2 and it worked perfectly in the beginning, but now, after a week or so, I only can play 2 games in a row before my framerate starts dropping doen into the one-digit-range making the game unplayable. I am really clueless about what could cause those FPS drops. It does not even happen during a battle, it seems more like random.
Here is some information ob my laptop:

CPU: Pentium Dualcore T4300 @ 2,1 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA G210M
Resolution: 1600x900
RAM: 4GB

I am playing on low settings.


Can be a driver issue...

NVIDIA is aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues after installing 196.75 drivers from NVIDIA's website. These drivers have been removed from NVIDIA's website due to these customer reports. We have also asked all partners to remove this driver. We recommend that all customers immediately discontinue the use of 196.75 drivers and roll back to their previous driver. Driver roll back help can be found here.

While most customers did not experience fan speed issues with 196.75, NVIDIA is taking reports of fan speed issues very seriously. This feedback site is specifically for customers that experienced fan speed issues. For all other feedback with this driver or other drivers, please provide feedback here.


nvidia forum
Slunk
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Germany768 Posts
March 14 2010 02:10 GMT
#485
On March 14 2010 10:56 AtoMcroms wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 14 2010 10:20 Slunk wrote:
Hi guys. I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask, but i'll try it anyway.
I am using a laptop to play Starcraft 2 and it worked perfectly in the beginning, but now, after a week or so, I only can play 2 games in a row before my framerate starts dropping doen into the one-digit-range making the game unplayable. I am really clueless about what could cause those FPS drops. It does not even happen during a battle, it seems more like random.
Here is some information ob my laptop:

CPU: Pentium Dualcore T4300 @ 2,1 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA G210M
Resolution: 1600x900
RAM: 4GB

I am playing on low settings.


Can be a driver issue...

Show nested quote +
NVIDIA is aware that some customers have reported fan speed issues after installing 196.75 drivers from NVIDIA's website. These drivers have been removed from NVIDIA's website due to these customer reports. We have also asked all partners to remove this driver. We recommend that all customers immediately discontinue the use of 196.75 drivers and roll back to their previous driver. Driver roll back help can be found here.

While most customers did not experience fan speed issues with 196.75, NVIDIA is taking reports of fan speed issues very seriously. This feedback site is specifically for customers that experienced fan speed issues. For all other feedback with this driver or other drivers, please provide feedback here.


nvidia forum


Does not seem to be it. My driver is from 2009 and is sccording to nvidia still the newest for my graphic card.
DanceDance
Profile Joined November 2008
226 Posts
March 14 2010 04:51 GMT
#486
On March 14 2010 10:20 Slunk wrote:
Hi guys. I don't know if this is the correct thread to ask, but i'll try it anyway.
I am using a laptop to play Starcraft 2 and it worked perfectly in the beginning, but now, after a week or so, I only can play 2 games in a row before my framerate starts dropping doen into the one-digit-range making the game unplayable. I am really clueless about what could cause those FPS drops. It does not even happen during a battle, it seems more like random.
Here is some information ob my laptop:

CPU: Pentium Dualcore T4300 @ 2,1 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA G210M
Resolution: 1600x900
RAM: 4GB

I am playing on low settings.


What are your temperatures like? Google and download HWmonitor to see what your temperatures are when playing Starcraft 2 for a while. Also, a lot of people are reporting low fps and choppiness after downloading the new beta patch.They made some graphical changes and apparently it's having a big effect on performance. So it might not be your problem at all, rather Blizzards.
mrdx
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Vietnam1555 Posts
March 14 2010 05:30 GMT
#487
I just ordered a new desktop after 7 years of using laptops, and this thread was really helpful - mad thanks to FragKrag
BoxerForever.com - the one and only international Boxer fansite since 2006 :)
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
March 14 2010 06:18 GMT
#488
Yeah, you definitely want to check your temps (especially on laptops since they lack cooling). However, you're running a fairly low power card, so I wouldn't expect the temps to cause too much trouble...

Is the FPS drop sudden? Like will it drop from 30 to 2 instantly, or will it descend consistently?

np mrdx
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
.Wilsh.
Profile Joined January 2010
United States133 Posts
March 16 2010 05:20 GMT
#489
Just ordered all the parts for my computer! Decided to go all out and get the 5850, which I'm very excited about.

Thanks for the help Frag!
Zinfandel
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada115 Posts
March 16 2010 23:07 GMT
#490
Hey, I'm looking into building a computer for SC2. This is my first time building a computer, and the last computer I bought in 2001. So I'm just learning about what's involved. My starting point is ars technica's computer guide; I checked the pricing on the parts (in Canada) for their 'Hot Rod', and it came up to around $1,900 after shipping and tax. I'd like to play SC2 on max or around max settings. Can knowledgeable person check out the guide (link below) and let me know whether they think that I can get by with buying lesser parts, or something like that? (I'm thinking maybe a lesser graphics card, since the monitor only supports 1900x1200 max, I think, so i won't be able to play on the highest resolution anyway).

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/guides/2009/10/the-hot-rod-october-2009-edition.ars
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
March 16 2010 23:20 GMT
#491
Well, prices have inflated a bit since that guide was posted. 5870 has gone up by around $40 in some places, and RAM has increased by a lot as well.

The motherboard supports 2 8x lanes of PCIe 2.0, but with your GPU and PSU, you can only support 1 dedicated GPU anyways, so the motherboard is a waste. Go with this instead:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131620

The 5870 costs and arm and a leg, but won't really offer too much over the HD 5850 at any resolution (other than the highest possible ones). Go with this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102884

Really the monitor isn't set in stone, and you should juts buy whatever monitor you want. $300 seems a little steep for a monitor anyways :<
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Pplusad
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany9 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-16 23:58:03
March 16 2010 23:41 GMT
#492
On March 14 2010 08:16 PaleMan wrote:
so guys I've read through the thread but still undecided
could you please recommend me what should I buy in order to run SC2 smoothly at high settings if I have $1000 budget (desktop comp)

I just need Case, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, Video Card, fast HDD and Windows 7 (64 bit or not)?

I hope this comp will be able to run Diablo III on high settings too when it will be released



I have Dual Core E 7400 Pentium 2,8Ghz
4GB ram
Radeon 4870 1GB
Windows Vista 64

did run several tests with a program called "fraps"
I average 33fps
on 1680x1050 all ingame details ultra all driver details maximum quality.(AA and stuff) in a game vs 2 StarCrack Ai 6.1
l
owest fps at a single point in a match vs 2 Starcrack 6.1 AI = 27fps

feels perfectly fine.

I also did test with Warcraft 3TFT and NFS Carbon all maxed details and 1680x1050 where i averaged 61FPS(WC3 seems to constantly have 61fps with my system) and 82FPS in NFS

I honestly could not tell a difference in smoothness between 33fps 61fps and 82fps ...
all felt fine.

meh

EDIT:

ALso here is a list of all recent CPU and GPUs considering there pure gaming performance:

http://www.bilder-space.de/bilder/91333e-1268783793.jpg


http://www.bilder-space.de/bilder/7fcede-1268783863.jpg

All results are percentage avergae fps meassured in a bunch of recent games
Zinfandel
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada115 Posts
March 17 2010 02:45 GMT
#493
On March 17 2010 08:20 FragKrag wrote:
Well, prices have inflated a bit since that guide was posted. 5870 has gone up by around $40 in some places, and RAM has increased by a lot as well.

The motherboard supports 2 8x lanes of PCIe 2.0, but with your GPU and PSU, you can only support 1 dedicated GPU anyways, so the motherboard is a waste. Go with this instead:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131620

The 5870 costs and arm and a leg, but won't really offer too much over the HD 5850 at any resolution (other than the highest possible ones). Go with this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102884

Really the monitor isn't set in stone, and you should juts buy whatever monitor you want. $300 seems a little steep for a monitor anyways :<


Thanks FragKrag. Your suggestions save me around $250! I have one more question: how do I choose a power supply? Like, how do I determine how much wattage my system requires? ... if I get a power supply that's 750W and my system requires much less, would I just be wasting electricity? (thanks)
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
March 17 2010 02:58 GMT
#494
No, your power supply on sucks away how much your system wants at that time.

Power supplies are fairly easy to determine because every graphics cards manufacturer and every cpu manufacturer will tell you how large of a PSU they recommend!

If you have more time, you can look for benchmarks of the components that you want to buy. Most benchmarks (like Tom's Hardware, Anandtech, Guru3d, Hardware Canucks... etc) will show you the total system power consumption that includes the certain part. Usually for higher end parts, they use high power parts like overclocked core i7s and stuff, so you can use it as an upper bound.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
RaiZ
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
2813 Posts
March 17 2010 20:31 GMT
#495
I've bought a 525E comp, got it but not the graphic card yet. I'll let you know how it will perform.
AMD phenom II x2 550 (yeah i know this is like the cheapest proc out there for AMD however it has possible quadcore unlocking possibility, and even without that it should run sc2 perfectly fine imo. If not i can always change later for a x4)
Ati Radeon 5750 1GB
4GB ram
1280 x 1024 resolution (dual view, no point having higher resolution unless you absolutely want to have the highest settings...)
I'm expecting to get like 50+ fps with everything on ultra.
Right now my graphic card is a 7300 LE (lol but hey it can support dual view... No complain ! ) > fps sux :p (about 30 fps avg with low settings)
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. Oscar Wilde
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
March 17 2010 22:49 GMT
#496
ATi 5750 could get like 60+ FPS on 1280x1024
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
RaiZ
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
2813 Posts
March 18 2010 01:27 GMT
#497
That's good to know then. Can't wait to try it out... >_<
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. Oscar Wilde
baubo
Profile Joined September 2008
China3370 Posts
March 18 2010 10:55 GMT
#498
I have a question. My old computer has the following specs that I obtained using CPU-Z.

Intel Celeron 331 2.66GHz
1g RAM
GeForce 8500 GT 128 memory

When I run SC2 beta, it just goes really slow, even on the lowest settings. My question is, what is the cheapest method for upgrading the computer enough to run the game smoothly? I don't really want to spend too much money given that I don't really play PC games.
Meh
FaCE_1
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Canada6185 Posts
March 18 2010 11:01 GMT
#499
My PC probably won't even be able to run the installer T_T and I need to wait until end of summer to buy myself a new comp =[

n_n
Xaanix
Profile Joined October 2009
United States109 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-18 18:20:35
March 18 2010 16:39 GMT
#500
i7-980X sc2 benchmarks please!!!

I'm really interested in this chip as I believe i'm currently CPU bottlenecked with a E8500.. It seems from what i've read (legionhardware review) that the extra cores, cache and even clock (when overclocked) of the i7-980x would really benefit sc2 alot.

I'm not saying that sc2 would actually use all 6 cores, but from their review it seems clear that more cores DOES make a difference, even though it doesnt full utilize all the cores.
our deeds have traveled far what we have been is what we are - Dream Theater - SFAM
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 27 66 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings31
CranKy Ducklings SOOP17
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 174
SHIN 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 10177
Rain 3264
soO 599
Stork 415
Soulkey 382
BeSt 358
Soma 346
Rush 288
firebathero 227
Britney 192
[ Show more ]
Barracks 120
Sexy 58
Shinee 55
Mind 47
FanTaSy 43
Killer 33
Sharp 26
Shine 21
HiyA 21
sorry 21
Sacsri 17
Hm[arnc] 16
hero 14
yabsab 12
Terrorterran 10
zelot 10
Noble 8
scan(afreeca) 3
Dota 2
Gorgc5789
League of Legends
JimRising 430
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King130
Other Games
gofns37002
singsing1257
Pyrionflax206
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV226
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 56
• Sammyuel 43
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV174
League of Legends
• Jankos2807
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
4h 58m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 58m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 58m
OSC
12h 58m
OSC
1d 1h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.