• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:35
CEST 14:35
KST 21:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6412 users

[Guideline] SC2 Computers - Page 23

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 66 Next
fadeless
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
38 Posts
March 12 2010 02:36 GMT
#441
On March 12 2010 02:36 FragKrag wrote:
Sorry I couldn't help out yesterday! I had a huge headache the entire day T_T

About the 5850, that is something I can't do anything about other saying download latest drivers, and it looks like you already have them! Only way is to ask Blizzard at their tech support forum.

For the guy with the 1.86ghz core 2 duo, if you get the same performance after upgrading your graphics card to the 9800gt, and adding extra RAM, that means you have a bottleneck somewhere! Try running other games and seeing if you get the same results after running the two graphics cards.

The guy with the Q6600 should be able to run the game on medium fairly smoothly without any overclock on the cpu.



About the 5850,
I tested it again today. In Sc2 when 2 army fighting each other about 20 units vs 20units I get roughly 30 fps. But what I feel strange is that the score in 3d marks 06 is unusually low, which I get only 15000. Comparing the other people who are also using hd5850 have 20000+ score.

I have heard that using the resolution like 1400x900 will lower the 5850 performance is that true? Someone said that using a resolution like 1900x1200 the performance instead become higher
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-12 03:43:28
March 12 2010 03:40 GMT
#442
fadeless, 3dmark does indeed depend on the resolution, but the lower the resolution, the higher the 3dmark. I think most people who 3dmark their graphics cards use the lowest possible (or default) resolution for 3dmark! Like 1024x768 or something.

@ .Wilsh.: If you do not plan on doing too much encoding, you will not see a benefit from the Intel X58 platform. You should try to stretch your budget to the 5850 because it is an extremely powerful, power efficient, and cool running card. If your budget can't stretch to include it, get the 5830, but make sure your case can fit it because it is built on the 5870 PCB.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Savio
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1850 Posts
March 12 2010 04:04 GMT
#443
Wow. I have been playing the game this whole time using only on-board graphics with the graphics setting at lowest possible. Now, I just finally got around to installing my 4870 (then having to replace my power supply too cause the 1st one couldn't handle it).

And now I am playing everything on ultra at 1680 resolution and...wow...just wow.

It changed it from not only a fun game to the prettiest game I have ever seen. And ofc its still fun.
The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of the blessings. The inherent blessing of socialism is the equal sharing of misery. – Winston Churchill
Hasire
Profile Joined February 2010
United States125 Posts
March 12 2010 05:49 GMT
#444
Frag, just posting one last time to give you a massive thanks [as well as to the 2-3 other people that helped me out]. Parts arrived yesterday, and I am completely in love with it all.


Am a bit amazed how much things have changed in ~2 years, everything is so much easier to put together now [although getting a processor on the mobo is still a heartattack and a half].
ROOTCatZ
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
Peru1238 Posts
March 12 2010 07:02 GMT
#445
frag help plz. im a computer illiterate i tried everything... i got a 900 wats power supply today, everything is the same if not worse, and my computer keeps shutting down on itself too...

"For the guy with the 1.86ghz core 2 duo, if you get the same performance after upgrading your graphics card to the 9800gt, and adding extra RAM, that means you have a bottleneck somewhere! Try running other games and seeing if you get the same results after running the two graphics cards."

I don't really know what a bottle neck is... and yeah other games are also lagged from before i got sc2beta i played sc1 and dota with sc there was no problem but dota lagged me in team fights and so on... so yeah i don't know what to do!!! I don't know what a bottleneck is so please be as specific as possible I really im a complete moron when i comes to computers
Progamerwww.root-gaming.com
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
March 12 2010 07:09 GMT
#446
A bottleneck is when all of your components are capable of performing at high except one which is only capable of performing at low. In that case, the computer will perform at low until the part which is performing at low is upgraded.

What I want you to do is take out your 9800gt and put your old graphics card back in. See how much of a difference there is when you run the two setups by measuring the FPS you get with the 9800gt and the FPS you get with the older card.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Nevius
Profile Joined February 2010
Switzerland72 Posts
March 12 2010 10:04 GMT
#447
Anyone knows agood notebook for me to buy? I will use it for study but it should run sc2 at medium settings too.

It must have:
< 16" Size
Should run SC2 in medium settings
Should have WLAN
not overpriced
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
March 12 2010 15:52 GMT
#448
please refrain from using words like "overpriced", "cheap", and "not expensive"

they are all completely relative, and I have no idea what is "cheap" or "overpriced" to you. Give me an acceptable price and I will do what I can
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
HwiiyiG
Profile Joined March 2010
United States25 Posts
March 12 2010 17:21 GMT
#449
I'm thinking about buying a gaming laptop to replace the one I currently have, but I have to look on the low end price-wise. I'm going to wait until SC2 comes out to buy, so that hopefully prices have gone down or I can get a laptop that is out now instead of a newer one released in the future. I know very little about specs (except that higher is usually better) but because of the difference between graphics cards on laptops and desktops, I'm really confused there... How would any of these work with SC2?

Asus + Show Spoiler +
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz processor
1366X768 Resolution
4GB DDR2 RAM
GPU - NVDIDIA GeForce GTX 260M (Video Memory: 1GB DDR3 VRAM)


Samsung + Show Spoiler +
CPU - Intel Core i5 (2.26GHz)
1600X900 Resolution
4GB DDR3 RAM
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M


Toshiba + Show Spoiler +
CPU: Intel Core i7 1.8GHz (up to 2.8GHz with Turbo Boost Technology)
1366X768 Resolution
4GB DDR3 RAM
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 310M


From what I understand so far, the Asus and Samsung should both run SC2 at high/ultra settings fine, but I may be mistaken. If it helps for recommending, the Asus is only $50US more than the samsung. Thanks for your help guys!
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
March 12 2010 23:25 GMT
#450
I'm not sure the Samsung can run SC2 at ultra, but the Asus should be able to run at ultra. The weakest one is the Toshiba, and the oldest one is the Asus, but the Asus should perform the best.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
HwiiyiG
Profile Joined March 2010
United States25 Posts
March 12 2010 23:36 GMT
#451
On March 13 2010 08:25 FragKrag wrote:
I'm not sure the Samsung can run SC2 at ultra, but the Asus should be able to run at ultra. The weakest one is the Toshiba, and the oldest one is the Asus, but the Asus should perform the best.


Thanks FragKrag. The differences between the desktop and laptop GPUs really confuses me. Now I guess I'm reduced to waiting for my computer to go kaput so I can justify buying a new one... =D
Prozen
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States338 Posts
March 13 2010 03:44 GMT
#452
Wait, could you explain to me why the Samsung Laptop probably couldn't run SC2 at Ultra but the Asus could? It seems every spec of the Samsung Laptop completely outclasses the Asus. 2.26 GHz i5 > 2.13 GHz Core 2 Duo, GTX 260M < GT 330 M, and 4GB DDR3 RAM > 4GB DDR2 RAM.
@ ReMaDe, could you provide links to those 3 laptops? I am in need of a new machine so I may be interested in buying one of those.
To transcend beyond greatness, you must become greatness itself.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
March 13 2010 04:10 GMT
#453
Nvidia naming scheme is a gigantic bitch.

The 260M is a high performance laptop card from the 2xx series, while the 330M is a mid power/mid level card that barely improves upon the performance of the 230M. What is important about Nvidia cards is not necessarily the first number, which only indicates generation, but the second number, which indicates its power level in that generation.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Prozen
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States338 Posts
March 13 2010 04:19 GMT
#454
Ah, I see. But doesn't the other specification advantages that the Samsung Laptop has over the Asus Laptop make up for its lack of a better graphics card?
To transcend beyond greatness, you must become greatness itself.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
March 13 2010 04:21 GMT
#455
No, because the difference between the 260M and the 330M is quite large, and most games are more GPU bound than CPU bound. His CPU should be fine for Ultra based on what others have submitted. The RAM shouldn't make a difference at all.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Prozen
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States338 Posts
March 13 2010 04:26 GMT
#456
I haven't seen much talk about the possibilities of upgrading components in a Laptop. Is it possible to upgrade the Video card in a notebook? What I would do is buy the Samsung then buy a better Graphics card and upgrade.
To transcend beyond greatness, you must become greatness itself.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
March 13 2010 04:49 GMT
#457
Not possible at the moment :p
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Igottheil
Profile Joined March 2010
Argentina21 Posts
March 13 2010 04:51 GMT
#458
Laptops are extremely difficult to upgrade, usually the only things that can be upgraded is ram, hard drive, and batter. other than that it becomes very difficult to upgrade, your better off buying a new laptop.
Fear the reaper man
Nevius
Profile Joined February 2010
Switzerland72 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-13 08:26:38
March 13 2010 08:26 GMT
#459
On March 13 2010 00:52 FragKrag wrote:
please refrain from using words like "overpriced", "cheap", and "not expensive"

they are all completely relative, and I have no idea what is "cheap" or "overpriced" to you. Give me an acceptable price and I will do what I can


Sorry about that, by not overpriced i mean that the price is relative to what is inside it.

I think about 1500$ max.

But if its not possible to find a laptop for sc2 in that range i would pay more.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
March 13 2010 08:32 GMT
#460
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220696
Core i7 @ 1.6GHz (TurboBoosts to 2.5GHz on 2 cores), 4GB DDR3, ATi 5730M

Should run SC2 very well at high.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146613
Core i7 @ 1.6GHz (TurboBoosts to 2.5GHz on 2 cores), 4GB DDR3, Nvidia 240M

Should run SC2 very well at medium

The ASUS seems a bit better when it comes to value, but both are good buys at their price points imo.

I would go for the
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 66 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs ByuNLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings243
SHIN 153
CranKy Ducklings SOOP48
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 422
ByuN 354
SHIN 153
Railgan 48
MindelVK 25
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 71934
Calm 11052
Rain 2456
Bisu 1523
FanTaSy 806
Shuttle 575
soO 558
Stork 543
Rush 274
Soma 241
[ Show more ]
firebathero 209
Snow 207
Last 177
Light 102
Mind 94
Pusan 75
ToSsGirL 51
Sharp 49
Killer 46
hero 42
Bale 40
Free 39
sorry 36
Trap 36
Mong 30
Hm[arnc] 27
Aegong 26
zelot 22
yabsab 16
HiyA 14
Sacsri 13
Shine 12
Noble 12
Sexy 11
IntoTheRainbow 9
scan(afreeca) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9010
Dendi627
Counter-Strike
fl0m1636
byalli864
x6flipin381
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King99
Other Games
gofns33954
singsing2280
B2W.Neo599
Pyrionflax249
Trikslyr31
Chillindude10
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV231
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 92
• Gemini_19 13
• Dystopia_ 4
• Response 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV525
League of Legends
• Jankos3045
• Nemesis1719
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1270
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 25m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 25m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 25m
OSC
10h 25m
Replay Cast
10h 25m
OSC
23h 25m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 22h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.