• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:13
CEST 03:13
KST 10:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9989 users

Possible reason why Blizzard dropped LAN support - Also c…

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 All
CaptainPlatypus
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States852 Posts
July 18 2009 11:31 GMT
#281
On July 18 2009 04:14 Spawkuring wrote:
http://www.gamer-source.com/index.php?cmd=article&sec=news&act=view&id=213

Blizzard is going to a large LAN gathering in Spain to show off SC2. Either this is a huge case of irony, or Blizzard has a surprise in store.

The above post wins.
dhe95
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States1213 Posts
July 20 2009 10:14 GMT
#282
Chinese people won't buy SC2 since their parents won't let them/too cheap to buy it. I'm serious about this.

Also, no doubt that sc2 will be on torrents within hours of being released btw.

Doesn't matter because there's going to always be a way for private servers to be run. I bet there's an experienced hacker out there that's willing to hex edit some files to let SC2 connect to an IP, then packet sniff and suddenly you got another PvPGN.
DeCoup
Profile Joined September 2006
Australia1933 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-20 13:30:55
July 20 2009 13:29 GMT
#283
On July 20 2009 19:14 dhe95 wrote:
Chinese people won't buy SC2 since their parents won't let them/too cheap to buy it. I'm serious about this.
...
Doesn't matter because there's going to always be a way for private servers to be run. I bet there's an experienced hacker out there that's willing to hex edit some files to let SC2 connect to an IP, then packet sniff and suddenly you got another PvPGN.
Yes, but apart from the ability to pirate the game, why would you want to? Playing is free, theres features galore, a private server would still require logon to play LAN (it would just be a logon to the private server instead of b.net)... What would you gain from doing it?

This is the point that blizzard is trying to make with b.net 2.0. If they can make b.net good enough, what possible reason will you have to use a pirate server, except to play a pirate copy of the game? Why did people play iccup? (With the exception of piracy...) 1 reason. They could play at 'LAN latency'. Do you expect b.net 2.0 to have this flaw? Clearly it wont. Net coding has improved in the last 10 years.

Piracy is terrible and I hope to hell blizzard delivers such a good product in b.net 2.0 that the only reason to play on a pirate server is piracy. Because then I won't have to play with those kinds of people. I have no problem with iccup because it IS a superior product to battle.net. Blizzard could have quite easily seen that iccup had worked out how to produce LAN latency and incorporated it into battle.net, but they didn't. And that is their own mistake, and why iccup is still so popular.

If there is another reason to play on a pirate server that I have not considered here please tell me, so I can remove my bias on the subject

edit: Oh and the 'I am poor so I'll pirate it' argument is crap. I can't afford a BMW, and you don't see me jacking one.
"Poor guy. I really did not deserve that win. So this is what it's like to play Protoss..." - IdrA
Eury
Profile Joined December 2008
Sweden1126 Posts
July 20 2009 17:26 GMT
#284
On July 20 2009 19:14 dhe95 wrote:
Chinese people won't buy SC2 since their parents won't let them/too cheap to buy it. I'm serious about this.

Also, no doubt that sc2 will be on torrents within hours of being released btw.

Doesn't matter because there's going to always be a way for private servers to be run. I bet there's an experienced hacker out there that's willing to hex edit some files to let SC2 connect to an IP, then packet sniff and suddenly you got another PvPGN.


I'm not sure if you will be paying for the actual SC2 disc in China. Rob Pardo stated a month ago that BattleNet 2 was going to be free to play in Europe and North America, but he didn't say anything about Asia.

They might be charging SC2 per hour in China instead, something most Chinese gamers are used to, and can better afford than paying one big lump sum.
SpiritAshura
Profile Joined March 2007
United States1271 Posts
July 20 2009 20:08 GMT
#285
On July 20 2009 22:29 DeCoup wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 20 2009 19:14 dhe95 wrote:
Chinese people won't buy SC2 since their parents won't let them/too cheap to buy it. I'm serious about this.
...
Show nested quote +
Doesn't matter because there's going to always be a way for private servers to be run. I bet there's an experienced hacker out there that's willing to hex edit some files to let SC2 connect to an IP, then packet sniff and suddenly you got another PvPGN.
Yes, but apart from the ability to pirate the game, why would you want to? Playing is free, theres features galore, a private server would still require logon to play LAN (it would just be a logon to the private server instead of b.net)... What would you gain from doing it?

This is the point that blizzard is trying to make with b.net 2.0. If they can make b.net good enough, what possible reason will you have to use a pirate server, except to play a pirate copy of the game? Why did people play iccup? (With the exception of piracy...) 1 reason. They could play at 'LAN latency'. Do you expect b.net 2.0 to have this flaw? Clearly it wont. Net coding has improved in the last 10 years.

Piracy is terrible and I hope to hell blizzard delivers such a good product in b.net 2.0 that the only reason to play on a pirate server is piracy. Because then I won't have to play with those kinds of people. I have no problem with iccup because it IS a superior product to battle.net. Blizzard could have quite easily seen that iccup had worked out how to produce LAN latency and incorporated it into battle.net, but they didn't. And that is their own mistake, and why iccup is still so popular.

If there is another reason to play on a pirate server that I have not considered here please tell me, so I can remove my bias on the subject

edit: Oh and the 'I am poor so I'll pirate it' argument is crap. I can't afford a BMW, and you don't see me jacking one.

Chances are you jacking a BMW has more repercussions than stealing a video game since you know, basically nothing happens when you steal a game these days online, but if you steal a car......
Zzoram
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada7115 Posts
July 20 2009 20:52 GMT
#286
On July 21 2009 05:08 SpiritAshura wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 20 2009 22:29 DeCoup wrote:
On July 20 2009 19:14 dhe95 wrote:
Chinese people won't buy SC2 since their parents won't let them/too cheap to buy it. I'm serious about this.
...
Doesn't matter because there's going to always be a way for private servers to be run. I bet there's an experienced hacker out there that's willing to hex edit some files to let SC2 connect to an IP, then packet sniff and suddenly you got another PvPGN.
Yes, but apart from the ability to pirate the game, why would you want to? Playing is free, theres features galore, a private server would still require logon to play LAN (it would just be a logon to the private server instead of b.net)... What would you gain from doing it?

This is the point that blizzard is trying to make with b.net 2.0. If they can make b.net good enough, what possible reason will you have to use a pirate server, except to play a pirate copy of the game? Why did people play iccup? (With the exception of piracy...) 1 reason. They could play at 'LAN latency'. Do you expect b.net 2.0 to have this flaw? Clearly it wont. Net coding has improved in the last 10 years.

Piracy is terrible and I hope to hell blizzard delivers such a good product in b.net 2.0 that the only reason to play on a pirate server is piracy. Because then I won't have to play with those kinds of people. I have no problem with iccup because it IS a superior product to battle.net. Blizzard could have quite easily seen that iccup had worked out how to produce LAN latency and incorporated it into battle.net, but they didn't. And that is their own mistake, and why iccup is still so popular.

If there is another reason to play on a pirate server that I have not considered here please tell me, so I can remove my bias on the subject

edit: Oh and the 'I am poor so I'll pirate it' argument is crap. I can't afford a BMW, and you don't see me jacking one.

Chances are you jacking a BMW has more repercussions than stealing a video game since you know, basically nothing happens when you steal a game these days online, but if you steal a car......


Just because you don't get caught as easily, doesn't make stealing games morally acceptable when stealing anything else isn't. It's also still technically illegal.
Shade692003
Profile Joined August 2005
Canada702 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-20 22:06:54
July 20 2009 22:06 GMT
#287
On July 20 2009 22:29 DeCoup wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 20 2009 19:14 dhe95 wrote:
Chinese people won't buy SC2 since their parents won't let them/too cheap to buy it. I'm serious about this.
...
Show nested quote +
Doesn't matter because there's going to always be a way for private servers to be run. I bet there's an experienced hacker out there that's willing to hex edit some files to let SC2 connect to an IP, then packet sniff and suddenly you got another PvPGN.
Yes, but apart from the ability to pirate the game, why would you want to? Playing is free, theres features galore, a private server would still require logon to play LAN (it would just be a logon to the private server instead of b.net)... What would you gain from doing it?

This is the point that blizzard is trying to make with b.net 2.0. If they can make b.net good enough, what possible reason will you have to use a pirate server, except to play a pirate copy of the game? Why did people play iccup? (With the exception of piracy...) 1 reason. They could play at 'LAN latency'. Do you expect b.net 2.0 to have this flaw? Clearly it wont. Net coding has improved in the last 10 years.

Piracy is terrible and I hope to hell blizzard delivers such a good product in b.net 2.0 that the only reason to play on a pirate server is piracy. Because then I won't have to play with those kinds of people. I have no problem with iccup because it IS a superior product to battle.net. Blizzard could have quite easily seen that iccup had worked out how to produce LAN latency and incorporated it into battle.net, but they didn't. And that is their own mistake, and why iccup is still so popular.

If there is another reason to play on a pirate server that I have not considered here please tell me, so I can remove my bias on the subject

edit: Oh and the 'I am poor so I'll pirate it' argument is crap. I can't afford a BMW, and you don't see me jacking one.



Exactly. It is ridiculously easy to play on a private server on WoW. It's a matter of editing a single file. You can play WoW for free instead of 15$ a month. Yet people don't do it. Why? Because Blizzard's service is that much better. Same thing will happen in Bnet 2.0.

Edit: Zomg marine icon.
I hate the post below mine because it feels War3-ish.
Tonyoh
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
France218 Posts
July 20 2009 23:51 GMT
#288
he doesnt give a shit of that news, he wants to play LAN. :D (sorry if it offense someone)
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Liquid-Jinro/174837579208018?ref=ts
Felby
Profile Joined February 2009
Norway81 Posts
July 21 2009 00:45 GMT
#289
there must be some kind of "LAN" capability WITHIN bnet in the way karune spells it out
closed
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Vatican City State491 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-21 01:34:16
July 21 2009 01:33 GMT
#290
I dont understand what is the difference between this haofang and a pirated server. Of course, technically they could sue a pirated server, but they failed to kill ICCUP, so how thay can kill a similar community?
Of course ICCUP is not prepared to be playable by 5 million players, but it does not die with 5000 logged in, right?

On July 01 2009 03:26 B1nary wrote:
Not to encourage pirating, but I heard (from a friend) that the players on HaoFang are generally really really good, like >250apm even in 1v1 noob games. Can anyone verify/refute this?


The average players are probably as crappy as everywhere else.
ghermination
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States2851 Posts
July 21 2009 01:43 GMT
#291
I think Blizzard, while it does have a great sc2 department that is trying to care for gamers, is starting to care more about its profit margins and less about its customers. They associate LAN with piracy, so they remove it, regardless of the effect it will have on game quality.
U Gotta Skate.
Skew
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States1020 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-07-21 02:22:51
July 21 2009 02:21 GMT
#292
Forgive me for not being up to date on this LAN situation, but what happens to countries that aren't near any Blizzard servers (almost all of them)? They can't take part in eSports for this title because practicing in 200+ ping is unrealistic?
TW WiNNinG 54
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States250 Posts
July 21 2009 03:31 GMT
#293
Maybe its to take you online to Bnet to verify the game, then u can go find games on local connections or networks.
Keep Fighting Savior!!! U can do it!
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
July 22 2009 17:43 GMT
#294
What I think is most silly about all of this is that they even came out and said "There will be no LAN" before they explained the BENEFITS to Bnet2.0.

I mean, even from just a PR perspective. Why mention the BAD before the good? It just seems silly.
Prev 1 13 14 15 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
davetesta44
CranKy Ducklings9
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ByuN 246
CosmosSc2 77
RuFF_SC2 48
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1922
GuemChi 1323
Artosis 637
910 46
Bale 20
MaD[AoV]20
Dota 2
monkeys_forever405
LuMiX0
League of Legends
JimRising 891
Counter-Strike
taco 341
minikerr14
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox855
Other Games
summit1g9000
Day[9].tv742
shahzam679
C9.Mang0329
Trikslyr45
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick784
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream19
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter147
• Hinosc 6
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv742
• Shiphtur476
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
14h 47m
The PondCast
1d 8h
INu's Battles
1d 9h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 21h
Replay Cast
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.