• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:59
CEST 08:59
KST 15:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6445 users

AlphaStar released: Deepmind Research on Ladder - Page 7

Forum Index > SC2 General
214 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 11 Next All
alexanderzero
Profile Joined June 2008
United States659 Posts
July 24 2019 16:12 GMT
#121
Ahhh 11 replays so far!! I can't wait to watch these when I get home from work!
I am a tournament organizazer.
Ronski
Profile Joined February 2011
Finland266 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-24 17:28:02
July 24 2019 17:25 GMT
#122
After checking the replays I just feel like its either very disappointing if its actual Alphastar, or that it's just some random NA player laddering on EU.

1 ZVZ, it loses its hatch vs 13/12, then camps on 2 bases building roaches while it sees the opponent taking a 3rd and building 5th/6th gas before the hatch even finishes and never accounts for mutalisks untill it A-moves across the map with a ball of roaches, ignoring all injects from that point forward trying to micro its way to victory. Once it realizes it cant end the game it goes back to injecting but never built any spores / Hydra tech and just loses to mass mutas. Seems like a very "human" way to lose a game.

Edit: After this game I stopped paying too much attention because I was pretty sure its just some random NA player.

2nd ZvZ, it does the "Vibe bronze to GM" Roach speed +1attack build and manages to snipe the opponents 3rd. then it just expands and wins with roach / ravager vs Roach / ravager.

ZvT, loses drones to hellion runby / Liberator harass, then attacks with Roach / ravager / Queen +1 carapace and wins. Builds blind spores at 4mins.

ZvP Just a roach / Ravager ling / Queen all in. Never builds blind spores.

In all the games, it never scouted anything. the camera movement feels very human since its like scrolling the screen by draggin mouse around for small movements and using location hotkeys to jump between hatcheries. Has very poor creep spread, just a single tumor going in 1 or 2 directions and spreading it whenever it remembers to do it.

The bot says GL HF at different times in all the games. in 1 ZvZ it comes at 22seconds, 2nd it comes as a response to the opponent saying gl hf, in ZvT 15 seconds and ZvP 8 seconds into the games. Could be a human controlling the chat function while the AI is just playing the game.

Just overall it feels like an average human player. I only checked the Zerg replays because I play zerg myself but didnt find anything impressive I or anything outside of normal I wouldn't find watching a random streamer.
I am a tank. I am covered head to toe in solid plate mail. I carry a block of metal the size of a 4 door sedan to hide behind. If you see me running - you should too.
NinjaNight
Profile Joined January 2018
428 Posts
July 24 2019 17:41 GMT
#123
On July 25 2019 02:25 Ronski wrote:
After checking the replays I just feel like its either very disappointing if its actual Alphastar, or that it's just some random NA player laddering on EU.

1 ZVZ, it loses its hatch vs 13/12, then camps on 2 bases building roaches while it sees the opponent taking a 3rd and building 5th/6th gas before the hatch even finishes and never accounts for mutalisks untill it A-moves across the map with a ball of roaches, ignoring all injects from that point forward trying to micro its way to victory. Once it realizes it cant end the game it goes back to injecting but never built any spores / Hydra tech and just loses to mass mutas. Seems like a very "human" way to lose a game.

Edit: After this game I stopped paying too much attention because I was pretty sure its just some random NA player.

2nd ZvZ, it does the "Vibe bronze to GM" Roach speed +1attack build and manages to snipe the opponents 3rd. then it just expands and wins with roach / ravager vs Roach / ravager.

ZvT, loses drones to hellion runby / Liberator harass, then attacks with Roach / ravager / Queen +1 carapace and wins. Builds blind spores at 4mins.

ZvP Just a roach / Ravager ling / Queen all in. Never builds blind spores.

In all the games, it never scouted anything. the camera movement feels very human since its like scrolling the screen by draggin mouse around for small movements and using location hotkeys to jump between hatcheries. Has very poor creep spread, just a single tumor going in 1 or 2 directions and spreading it whenever it remembers to do it.

The bot says GL HF at different times in all the games. in 1 ZvZ it comes at 22seconds, 2nd it comes as a response to the opponent saying gl hf, in ZvT 15 seconds and ZvP 8 seconds into the games. Could be a human controlling the chat function while the AI is just playing the game.

Just overall it feels like an average human player. I only checked the Zerg replays because I play zerg myself but didnt find anything impressive I or anything outside of normal I wouldn't find watching a random streamer.


It's not supposed to be great yet. The deepmind guy (Timo) hanging out in the SC2AI discord said don't expect too much of it right now.
Ronski
Profile Joined February 2011
Finland266 Posts
July 24 2019 17:53 GMT
#124
I'm not disappointed because its playing poorly, just because everything about it feels like a human player doing human mistakes. I would be really surprised if this was the actual alphastar.
I am a tank. I am covered head to toe in solid plate mail. I carry a block of metal the size of a 4 door sedan to hide behind. If you see me running - you should too.
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-24 18:02:07
July 24 2019 18:01 GMT
#125
When she gets good enough, maybe google will submit her to GSL group stages so we can have some NA representation :p
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
Ronski
Profile Joined February 2011
Finland266 Posts
July 24 2019 18:04 GMT
#126
Also people seem to think its Alphastar because it uses "no control groups", but simply selecting your control groups as (Hidden) in the options menu makes them invisible in the replays as well. So I would say its definitely some random player playing on an alt barcode with hidden hotkeys.
I am a tank. I am covered head to toe in solid plate mail. I carry a block of metal the size of a 4 door sedan to hide behind. If you see me running - you should too.
-HuShang-
Profile Joined December 2012
Canada393 Posts
July 24 2019 19:17 GMT
#127
It's one hundred percent alpha star @ronski
Professional Starcraft 2 Coach & Caster | Message me for more info or business proposals
Ronski
Profile Joined February 2011
Finland266 Posts
July 24 2019 19:37 GMT
#128
On July 25 2019 04:17 -HuShang- wrote:
It's one hundred percent alpha star @ronski


Watching the games themselves I don't see any reason to believe its Alphastar?
I am a tank. I am covered head to toe in solid plate mail. I carry a block of metal the size of a 4 door sedan to hide behind. If you see me running - you should too.
alexanderzero
Profile Joined June 2008
United States659 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-24 20:56:21
July 24 2019 20:55 GMT
#129
This is turning out just like last time. AlphaStar plays godlike, but also human-like Starcraft and everyone shits on it. Oh well, what are you gonna do?

Watching the games themselves I don't see any reason to believe its Alphastar?


The biggest tell is that it doesn't use control groups and also the profiles which are playing all have the exact same number of games played at basically the same time (one profile for each race).
I am a tournament organizazer.
Kalera
Profile Joined January 2018
United States338 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-25 01:57:24
July 25 2019 01:40 GMT
#130
The Zerg one plays with the least flexibility. You might want to check out the Protoss one.
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
July 25 2019 03:41 GMT
#131
HuShang is casting reps. Seems like its an idiot savant that doesn't know how to pull workers or build anti-air.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_2FZDFti08MI5WRaZUZSIQ
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
Ronski
Profile Joined February 2011
Finland266 Posts
July 25 2019 04:44 GMT
#132
On July 25 2019 05:55 alexanderzero wrote:
This is turning out just like last time. AlphaStar plays godlike, but also human-like Starcraft and everyone shits on it. Oh well, what are you gonna do?

Show nested quote +
Watching the games themselves I don't see any reason to believe its Alphastar?


The biggest tell is that it doesn't use control groups and also the profiles which are playing all have the exact same number of games played at basically the same time (one profile for each race).


Like I said before, simply choosing (hide control groups) in strarcraft options is enough to achieve this. Everyone who has this option selected appears to be playing without any control groups.

The only proof that it is Alphastar is the 3 accounts all playing at the same time and the same amount of games, analyzing any ingame material simply shows an average player who over prioritizes micro and forgets to macro.
I am a tank. I am covered head to toe in solid plate mail. I carry a block of metal the size of a 4 door sedan to hide behind. If you see me running - you should too.
naughtDE
Profile Blog Joined May 2019
158 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-25 05:21:03
July 25 2019 05:04 GMT
#133
On July 25 2019 13:44 Ronski wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 25 2019 05:55 alexanderzero wrote:
This is turning out just like last time. AlphaStar plays godlike, but also human-like Starcraft and everyone shits on it. Oh well, what are you gonna do?

Watching the games themselves I don't see any reason to believe its Alphastar?


The biggest tell is that it doesn't use control groups and also the profiles which are playing all have the exact same number of games played at basically the same time (one profile for each race).


Like I said before, simply choosing (hide control groups) in strarcraft options is enough to achieve this. Everyone who has this option selected appears to be playing without any control groups.

The only proof that it is Alphastar is the 3 accounts all playing at the same time and the same amount of games, analyzing any ingame material simply shows an average player who over prioritizes micro and forgets to macro.


The Zerg one selects Larva without looking or selecting hatcheries first, definite ingame tell. Also slight offscreen micro here and there since what it sees appears to be in an unusual aspect ratio (very obvious when dealing with early game worker shinanigans).

My favourite thing so far was the PvP(random) against Beasty, where Beasty attemps a half-assed cannonrush and Alphastar went lowground Pylon + Gate, which means free win for the canon rushing gm (and beasty immidiatly says GG upon scouting this (as in he is sure of his victory)), what follows is the most insane, clean and calm probe defend I ever seen in Sc2. Like, if a human could develop that level of confidence in it's control, lowground walls in PvP might actually open up as a viable strategy.

Also Alphastar's TvP approach here is entertaining:
It goes Marine, Tank, Speed Banshee.
It gets Stim for Marines first, yet not a single medivac is being build all game.

"I'll take [LET IT SNOW] for 800" - Sean Connery (Darrell Hammond)
fLyiNgDroNe
Profile Joined September 2005
Belgium4130 Posts
July 25 2019 06:20 GMT
#134
can you give a direct link to that pvp vs Beasty?
Drone is a way of living
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
July 25 2019 07:07 GMT
#135


Almost....
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
jimminy_kriket
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Canada5542 Posts
July 25 2019 08:33 GMT
#136
On July 25 2019 15:20 fLyiNgDroNe wrote:
can you give a direct link to that pvp vs Beasty?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/457238012?t=05h51m35s
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
naughtDE
Profile Blog Joined May 2019
158 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-07-25 13:18:51
July 25 2019 11:48 GMT
#137
On July 25 2019 15:20 fLyiNgDroNe wrote:
can you give a direct link to that pvp vs Beasty?

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/456819625?t=01h58m37s

The one Jimmy posted is also enlightening.

Edit:
I also have a theory, why the protoss version performs best.
If you want to micro marines you have to use up lots of focus and actions (splitting/stutterstepping), but if you want to place a forcefield there is only one action counted. The thing that balances that out for humans is that you also have to concentrate and find the correct moment to do it, if Alphastar just has to worry to stay under a threshold for counted actions, then Protoss without things like injects and creepspread will have the most left over.
"I'll take [LET IT SNOW] for 800" - Sean Connery (Darrell Hammond)
dbRic1203
Profile Joined July 2019
Germany2655 Posts
July 25 2019 19:40 GMT
#138
Beasty also explains the differenz between APM and EAPM in a recent video and how only Alphastar can pull that off, so these Replays are 100% Deepmind Agents.
MaxPax
Ronski
Profile Joined February 2011
Finland266 Posts
July 25 2019 19:44 GMT
#139
Yeah I watched Beastyqt stream analyzing the alphastar replays and I have changed my mind that it is real Alphastar. It still feels very disappointing watching it play zerg doing a blind build without any scouting or real decision making.
I am a tank. I am covered head to toe in solid plate mail. I carry a block of metal the size of a 4 door sedan to hide behind. If you see me running - you should too.
Fecalfeast
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada11355 Posts
July 26 2019 00:42 GMT
#140
On July 25 2019 05:55 alexanderzero wrote:
This is turning out just like last time. AlphaStar plays godlike, but also human-like Starcraft and everyone shits on it. Oh well, what are you gonna do?

Show nested quote +
Watching the games themselves I don't see any reason to believe its Alphastar?


The biggest tell is that it doesn't use control groups and also the profiles which are playing all have the exact same number of games played at basically the same time (one profile for each race).

I count one person who did anything close to 'shitting' on alphastar so what do you mean by everyone?

On July 26 2019 04:44 Ronski wrote:
Yeah I watched Beastyqt stream analyzing the alphastar replays and I have changed my mind that it is real Alphastar. It still feels very disappointing watching it play zerg doing a blind build without any scouting or real decision making.

What are you disappointed by?

I'm glad that an AI wasn't able to immediately solve my favourite game even if it is playing at quite a high level in many aspects already.
ModeratorINFLATE YOUR POST COUNT; PLAY TL MAFIA
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 1m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyun 64
NotJumperer 56
sorry 56
Bale 35
Noble 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto193
League of Legends
JimRising 555
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King114
Other Games
summit1g7972
Coldzera 728
WinterStarcraft414
ceh9402
C9.Mang0296
Sick117
NeuroSwarm103
ViBE26
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick608
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream41
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2279
League of Legends
• Rush1101
• Lourlo884
• Stunt390
• Jankos291
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 1m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4h 1m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
17h 1m
Patches Events
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.