• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:32
CEST 21:32
KST 04:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7621 users

AlphaStar AI goes 10-1 against human pros in demonstration…

Forum Index > SC2 General
374 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 17 18 19 Next All
outscar
Profile Joined September 2014
2832 Posts
January 24 2019 22:25 GMT
#21
Micro war? They needed put ByuN there, so score could be reverse.
sunbeams are never made like me...
bela.mervado
Profile Joined December 2008
Hungary417 Posts
January 24 2019 22:28 GMT
#22
giev that damn computer AI a real mouse to use and a camera to see with !!!111

seriously, amazing games, can we have these AIs in a future patch Blizz plz
Rodya
Profile Joined January 2018
546 Posts
January 24 2019 22:30 GMT
#23
On January 25 2019 07:17 No_Roo wrote:
As many others are pointing out, there's not much to be impressed with while the AI is playing a different game. We already know that a microbot using an API can outmicro a human using a mouse. I look forward to seeing what they come up with in the future, but what I saw today was no more interesting than if they had been feeding the AI bonus minerals.

Also looking forward to detailed replay analysis, I expect that will reveal that "APM" is a very misleading metric to be using.

Exactly; from what I've glanced at the games this isn't very interesting. Perfect orb-walking and dropship/blink micro. If humans could do that then all dropships would be heavily nerfed and blink would be removed from the game. I'm sorry Google - no one is shocked nor cares about this.

Sadly their marketing department will continue to push this bot down our throats while they tell themselves that they've revolutionized AI.

User was warned for this post
Banned for saying "zerg players are by far the biggest whiners in sc2 history" despite the fact that this forum is full of such posts about Terrans. Foreigner Elitists in control!
Heyoka
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Katowice25012 Posts
January 24 2019 22:31 GMT
#24
go humanity
@RealHeyoka | ESL / DreamHack StarCraft Lead
Shuffleblade
Profile Joined February 2012
Sweden1903 Posts
January 24 2019 22:33 GMT
#25
Sure micro was incredible but people aren't giving alphastar enough credit for its decision making. Sure it made a few mistakes like the warp prism harass but overall it was amazing. Clutch recalls, incredibly good targeting decisions and movement. Really cool to see.
Maru, Bomber, TY, Dear, Classic, DeParture and Rogue!
StormsInJuly
Profile Joined January 2009
Sweden165 Posts
January 24 2019 22:37 GMT
#26
I was hoping for something a little more outlandish coming out of it, I heard they trained it on pro replays initially, which would explain why it played so similar to human players. It certainly played a very high-micro aggressive style which it is obviously suited for, but I guess I was hoping for something that would really challenge what we know about SC2. Maybe the probe oversaturation is a thing like that?
Gianttt
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Netherlands194 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-24 22:39:02
January 24 2019 22:38 GMT
#27
I am more interested how the top 10-20 globally does against the AI. Still interesting to watch and see the decisions the AI makes. And also to see the better / worse qualities of the AI.
I'm also a bit sad that it wasn't smart enough to saturate his base better, which is one of the first things you learn playing Starcraft.
Winners: It is difficult, but it's possible.
FueledUpAndReadyToGo
Profile Blog Joined March 2013
Netherlands30548 Posts
January 24 2019 22:43 GMT
#28
Crazy... Never thought it would be this effective

Does this thing run on some supercomputer mainframe or just a regular i7?
Neosteel Enthusiast
pvsnp
Profile Joined January 2017
7676 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-24 22:49:24
January 24 2019 22:44 GMT
#29
On January 25 2019 07:30 Rodya wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2019 07:17 No_Roo wrote:
As many others are pointing out, there's not much to be impressed with while the AI is playing a different game. We already know that a microbot using an API can outmicro a human using a mouse. I look forward to seeing what they come up with in the future, but what I saw today was no more interesting than if they had been feeding the AI bonus minerals.

Also looking forward to detailed replay analysis, I expect that will reveal that "APM" is a very misleading metric to be using.

Exactly; from what I've glanced at the games this isn't very interesting. Perfect orb-walking and dropship/blink micro. If humans could do that then all dropships would be heavily nerfed and blink would be removed from the game. I'm sorry Google - no one is shocked nor cares about this.

Sadly their marketing department will continue to push this bot down our throats while they tell themselves that they've revolutionized AI.

User was warned for this post


Do you have any technical understanding whatsoever of AI? Or are you just talking out of your ass?

This is an impressive technical achievement. I wouldn't call it revolutionary, since the algorithms Deepmind is working off of are fairly mainstream, but this was still a great first showing.
Denominator of the Universe
TL+ Member
Poopi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France13021 Posts
January 24 2019 22:45 GMT
#30
On January 25 2019 07:43 FueledUpAndReadyToGo wrote:
Crazy... Never thought it would be this effective

Does this thing run on some supercomputer mainframe or just a regular i7?

The training is done on 16TPU if I recall correctly (<=> optimized GPU for machine learning computations) but the agent that plays against humans is made to be able to run on a single desktop GPU (probably a powerful one tho, latest most powerful nvidia would be my guess)
WriterMaru
yep
Profile Joined February 2012
Canada9 Posts
January 24 2019 22:46 GMT
#31
Wow, I wasn't expecting people bashing on the A.I by saying it is only a good microbot and that "no one is shocked nor cares about this".

I was really impressed and I think it is much more than a simple microbot. It knew when to push and when to back off, meaning he could size its opponents' army size, he targetted a warp prisms with phoenixes while not over-committing them because he knew the strength of warp prisms in an attack. He also knew when to expand by seeing its opponent army in the final showmatch. The A.I. also improved quite significantly in between the games vs TLO and the one versus Mana. He clearly learned that blocking its entrance was useful and that ramps were also dangerous. While the A.I didn't know how to deal with Mana double immortal drop, it might be simply because he did not practice against this situation before. However, I'm pretty sure it is something it can learn since he clearly knew how to deal with mineral line harassment by leaving stalker in its mineral line.
Un pour tous et tous pour un
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12133 Posts
January 24 2019 22:52 GMT
#32
On January 25 2019 07:46 yep wrote:
Wow, I wasn't expecting people bashing on the A.I by saying it is only a good microbot and that "no one is shocked nor cares about this".

I was really impressed and I think it is much more than a simple microbot. It knew when to push and when to back off, meaning he could size its opponents' army size, he targetted a warp prisms with phoenixes while not over-committing them because he knew the strength of warp prisms in an attack. He also knew when to expand by seeing its opponent army in the final showmatch. The A.I. also improved quite significantly in between the games vs TLO and the one versus Mana. He clearly learned that blocking its entrance was useful and that ramps were also dangerous. While the A.I didn't know how to deal with Mana double immortal drop, it might be simply because he did not practice against this situation before. However, I'm pretty sure it is something it can learn since he clearly knew how to deal with mineral line harassment by leaving stalker in its mineral line.

I believe it all comes down to not understanding the technology behind it and how the program operates.

I am very amazed and I hope they already learned that there are people on the internet which won't like what they do. I liked it, very much. We need a company, which will build the Skynet and kill the humanity! Learning it Go and Starcraft seems like a plausible start.
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
Xain0n
Profile Joined November 2018
Italy3963 Posts
January 24 2019 22:53 GMT
#33
Oversaturating bases is the future of Starcraft and brute forcing ramps is the future of Starcraft!

Seriously speaking, AlphaStar was indeed impressive but I wasn't satisfied with it inhumanly microing blink stalkers during the most convincing victory and falling to immortal drops when it eventually lost; however, it's already way, way better than any AI in terms of decision making.

I actually don't get why didn't they let a single agent play more than one game to show its capability of learning from its mistakes; is it still to a point where it needs thousand of games to develop and effective change in strategy?
pvsnp
Profile Joined January 2017
7676 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-24 23:02:32
January 24 2019 22:55 GMT
#34
On January 25 2019 07:52 deacon.frost wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2019 07:46 yep wrote:
Wow, I wasn't expecting people bashing on the A.I by saying it is only a good microbot and that "no one is shocked nor cares about this".

I was really impressed and I think it is much more than a simple microbot. It knew when to push and when to back off, meaning he could size its opponents' army size, he targetted a warp prisms with phoenixes while not over-committing them because he knew the strength of warp prisms in an attack. He also knew when to expand by seeing its opponent army in the final showmatch. The A.I. also improved quite significantly in between the games vs TLO and the one versus Mana. He clearly learned that blocking its entrance was useful and that ramps were also dangerous. While the A.I didn't know how to deal with Mana double immortal drop, it might be simply because he did not practice against this situation before. However, I'm pretty sure it is something it can learn since he clearly knew how to deal with mineral line harassment by leaving stalker in its mineral line.

I believe it all comes down to not understanding the technology behind it and how the program operates.

I am very amazed and I hope they already learned that there are people on the internet which won't like what they do. I liked it, very much. We need a company, which will build the Skynet and kill the humanity! Learning it Go and Starcraft seems like a plausible start.


Well said. The only people unimpressed by this are those too ignorant of computer science to understand what it means.

Reminds me of:

"Congressman, the iPhone is made by a different company."

- Sundar Pichai, Google CEO
Denominator of the Universe
TL+ Member
geokilla
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada8255 Posts
January 24 2019 22:59 GMT
#35
They had TLO off race and then didn't get any good pros to face against. I don't mean TLO or Mana aren't good pros, but it would have been cool to see AlphaStar vs Gumiho or Scarlett or Elazer for example.
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12133 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-24 23:04:17
January 24 2019 22:59 GMT
#36
On January 25 2019 07:55 pvsnp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2019 07:52 deacon.frost wrote:
On January 25 2019 07:46 yep wrote:
Wow, I wasn't expecting people bashing on the A.I by saying it is only a good microbot and that "no one is shocked nor cares about this".

I was really impressed and I think it is much more than a simple microbot. It knew when to push and when to back off, meaning he could size its opponents' army size, he targetted a warp prisms with phoenixes while not over-committing them because he knew the strength of warp prisms in an attack. He also knew when to expand by seeing its opponent army in the final showmatch. The A.I. also improved quite significantly in between the games vs TLO and the one versus Mana. He clearly learned that blocking its entrance was useful and that ramps were also dangerous. While the A.I didn't know how to deal with Mana double immortal drop, it might be simply because he did not practice against this situation before. However, I'm pretty sure it is something it can learn since he clearly knew how to deal with mineral line harassment by leaving stalker in its mineral line.

I believe it all comes down to not understanding the technology behind it and how the program operates.

I am very amazed and I hope they already learned that there are people on the internet which won't like what they do. I liked it, very much. We need a company, which will build the Skynet and kill the humanity! Learning it Go and Starcraft seems like a plausible start.


Well said. The only people unimpressed by this are those too ignorant of computer science to understand what it means.

Reminds me of the US Congress trying to ask Sundar Pichai about Google making iPhones.

I wouldn't be so harsh on them. In the end, we may be in their position in other science fields

On January 25 2019 07:59 geokilla wrote:
They had TLO off race and then didn't get any good pros to face against. I don't mean TLO or Mana aren't good pros, but it would have been cool to see AlphaStar vs Gumiho or Scarlett or Elazer for example.

MaNa got 2nd place in the last year at some WCS I believe. Where was Scarlett at that time?

No offense to anyone, but MaNa is a very strong WCS player, maybe even stronger than SCarlett(don't take my word for it, I am an ignorant of WCS after all ). I take MaNa and TLO. I would rather saw sOs, Stats or Classic but they won't speak that much English(show) and it would be costly to fly them there
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-24 23:03:08
January 24 2019 23:02 GMT
#37
On January 25 2019 06:52 Waxangel wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2019 06:48 ArtyK wrote:
I'd like to know epms and not worthless apms for this, considering the AI was capable of microing stalkers in 3 different places at once and win vs mass immortals.


Honestly I feel that StarCraft II is much more of a mechanics game than 'strategy' game than most people think, (it's more real-time connect-four than chess), so I also felt this demonstration wasn't quite as impressive as it could have been.

At least for my personal taste, the truly impressive way to hold his exhibition would be to have an AI that's actually considerably BAD mechanically but still crushes human opponents based on strategies and tactics (and, I guess, EXTREME efficiency of actions).


This was both awesome since the decisions weren't that bad but the whole thing looked staged due to the micro the IA had.
Zest fanboy.
pvsnp
Profile Joined January 2017
7676 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-24 23:08:28
January 24 2019 23:08 GMT
#38
On January 25 2019 07:59 deacon.frost wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2019 07:55 pvsnp wrote:
On January 25 2019 07:52 deacon.frost wrote:
On January 25 2019 07:46 yep wrote:
Wow, I wasn't expecting people bashing on the A.I by saying it is only a good microbot and that "no one is shocked nor cares about this".

I was really impressed and I think it is much more than a simple microbot. It knew when to push and when to back off, meaning he could size its opponents' army size, he targetted a warp prisms with phoenixes while not over-committing them because he knew the strength of warp prisms in an attack. He also knew when to expand by seeing its opponent army in the final showmatch. The A.I. also improved quite significantly in between the games vs TLO and the one versus Mana. He clearly learned that blocking its entrance was useful and that ramps were also dangerous. While the A.I didn't know how to deal with Mana double immortal drop, it might be simply because he did not practice against this situation before. However, I'm pretty sure it is something it can learn since he clearly knew how to deal with mineral line harassment by leaving stalker in its mineral line.

I believe it all comes down to not understanding the technology behind it and how the program operates.

I am very amazed and I hope they already learned that there are people on the internet which won't like what they do. I liked it, very much. We need a company, which will build the Skynet and kill the humanity! Learning it Go and Starcraft seems like a plausible start.


Well said. The only people unimpressed by this are those too ignorant of computer science to understand what it means.

Reminds me of the US Congress trying to ask Sundar Pichai about Google making iPhones.

I wouldn't be so harsh on them. In the end, we may be in their position in other science fields


Well, when I start spewing bs from ignorance, feel free to correct me.
Denominator of the Universe
TL+ Member
TheDougler
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada8323 Posts
January 24 2019 23:13 GMT
#39
I really wonder what AlphaStar's Zerg macro is going to look like, it has the potential to be VERY different than human Zerg macro in terms of when it drones and when it doesn't.

ZvT from AlphaStar will be especially fascinating to watch.
I root for Euro Zergs, NA Protoss* and Korean Terrans. (Any North American who has beat a Korean Pro as Protoss counts as NA Toss)
9Dimitri
Profile Blog Joined June 2016
Hungary14 Posts
January 24 2019 23:18 GMT
#40
Why was there only one live match? Could have been a BO3 or BO5
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 17 18 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM1030
TaKeTV 338
TKL 330
IndyStarCraft 201
BRAT_OK 103
ZombieGrub74
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1030
TKL 330
IndyStarCraft 201
MaxPax 193
BRAT_OK 103
ZombieGrub74
JuggernautJason43
Nathanias 32
EmSc Tv 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 667
ggaemo 162
White-Ra 134
firebathero 80
Barracks 60
910 49
Killer 28
Shine 27
Trap 26
yabsab 7
Counter-Strike
Fnx 804
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0166
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby8876
crisheroes1702
Liquid`Hasu1553
Trikslyr66
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi4652
summit1g3853
singsing1372
Beastyqt835
shahzam440
B2W.Neo349
ArmadaUGS137
KnowMe132
UpATreeSC84
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream432
Other Games
BasetradeTV213
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 17
EmSc2Tv 17
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 195
• Reevou 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 23
• Azhi_Dahaki21
• FirePhoenix13
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade879
Other Games
• Shiphtur319
• imaqtpie7
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 28m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 28m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 4h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.