• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:46
CEST 11:46
KST 18:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9542 users

Pay to Play? - Page 9

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
January 31 2008 18:27 GMT
#161
On February 01 2008 02:36 JensOfSweden wrote:
Pay to play is nice.

If you can't pay like $10/month your a cheap bastard. I guess most of the people who don't wanna pay are the 14-year olds who don't have money


On May 21 2007 18:34 Monoxide wrote:
"Blizzard was silent on whether using Battle.net for StarCraft 2 would require a charge or subscription fee. The service will certainly have new features, Blizzard assured the press in the audience, but they weren't willing to get into pricing specifics."

Who will play this game if blizzard charges a monthly fee similar to WoW?
[image loading]

Poll: Will you pay to play?
(Vote): Hell Yes! SC2 kicks ass!!
(Vote): F*** No, this is bullshit!
(Vote): Maybe... i'll see if i win the lottery or something...



So it looks like 79°/o of people here are cheap bastards. I dont understand why i would have to pay $10/month, sorry.

fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
grobo
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Japan6199 Posts
January 31 2008 18:30 GMT
#162
Why should they require a monthly fee when pretty much no other game besides MMO's need it? Unless they come up with some new feature that will revolutionize RTS gaming as we know it i don't see a reason why they should need a monthly fee when other RTS games don't.

We all love Starcraft but it's just another RTS game only better then the rest and in my opinion that doesn't warrant a monthly fee.

And yes, i have the money to spend i just want a reason for it.
We make signature, then defense it.
parkin
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
1091 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-01-31 18:58:39
January 31 2008 18:58 GMT
#163
I hate to set up accounts with subsciptionplans, they all suck. Some months you want to play alot some you just want to play a few games without having to log in and activate and deactivate the paymant account.

I'd much rather see advertisments on b.net than having to pay for subscription.

My guess is that there will be more people playing on private servers instead if you will have to pay2play on b.net.
mostly harmless
Deleted User 31996
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
843 Posts
January 31 2008 19:02 GMT
#164
who gives a shit if its pay to play, aus-1
iccup
and many other online servers will rise up against this bullshit bureaucracy

Texas
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Germany2388 Posts
January 31 2008 19:03 GMT
#165
On February 01 2008 02:36 JensOfSweden wrote:
Pay to play is nice.

If you can't pay like $10/month your a cheap bastard. I guess most of the people who don't wanna pay are the 14-year olds who don't have money


shut up moron, ur prole-attitude is not needed nor its any cool or gives u any rep. or credit.

its not like 4/5 on this forum couldnt afford to pay $10/month or are the "14-year olds who dont have money". blizzard has shown with sc/wc3 and other games its possible to offer services without taking $ for it. lets hope they dont raid us with monthly fee's.
Num
Profile Joined October 2007
South Africa62 Posts
January 31 2008 19:17 GMT
#166
Being from a richer background and playing wow I can't say a pay system would effect me that much. However I don't think Blizzard would implement such a system.

B.net is not something based solely on one game. Players from sc can interact with players from war3 and I would guess the same would go for sc2. So making one of their games having to pay for the same b.net system while others enjoy it doesn't quite seem right. I would think Blizzard would have to make every game on b.net p2p if they did it.

Many people say gamers won't spend the same amount of time as they do on an MMO when they play sc2. However I cannot blindly say this statement is correct. I know from experience UMS maps on games such as war3 make you want to play everyday. You can spend hours playing and carry on the next day. The reason for this is that UMS maps make a different experience from the general RTS experience. I can see good UMS maps being played for hours at end by people who do not enjoy SC2 as much.

I am neither for nor against p2p. I just wanted to bring a few things to attention

Glider
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States1353 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-01-31 19:36:30
January 31 2008 19:30 GMT
#167
I don't get all the people who are saying "hell no" to pay to play. I mean common, its supply and demand. How much hours of fun does starcraft give you for a whole month?? u don't think thats worth 10 bucks?? Especially since a shitty 1 hour and half movie and two happy meals cost just as much. Just because its free in the past doesn't mean it should stay free, things generally should cost what they are worth. and 5 to 10 bucks a month to play an amazing game on a server with people around the world is well worth it. Stop comparing it to what it is like in past and consider what it is worth in the present.

You go out and drink with few buddies and it can easily cost 20 dollars and the fun lasts just a few hours. Bowling for few hours, another 20 dollars. And you wouldn't pay 5 to 10 for a game that can easily give u 30+ hours of enjoyment per month?

Besides, even if they do ask for subscription fee it wouldn't be much at all. considering wow costs 15 per month, and the the MMORPG servers requires much much more expensive startup and upkeep fees.
noobienoob
Profile Joined July 2007
United States1173 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-01-31 20:31:59
January 31 2008 19:55 GMT
#168
Starcraft is a casual thing for me. Sometimes I feel like playing it, sometimes I don't feel like playing it. If I have to pay <amount of money per month here>, I'd rather go spend it on something IRL. Keep in mind I've never played WoW, just not my kind of game, but then again, Starcraft and WoW are nothing alike in terms of gameplay.

WoW you're paying to play and level/whatever the character you made online, dedicating your time to raising that character. Paying monthly for Starcraft is just like paying just for access to play the game online. I think that's just going too far and I don't want to waste my money on paying monthly for a casual game, only to force me to play it even more just because I'm trying to get the most out of what I paid for. I'm sure at least some people feel the same as me. I'd still buy the game for the single player campaign/story, but if I have to pay to play online, forget that. I'd probably wait for private servers to go up or something to play online, or connect directly with my friends (if they'd even allow that anymore).

Paying monthly for the game isn't going to help with sales either; it's just going to lessen the total amount of people who buy the game because the majority of people who are going to buy the game and play online are younger people who probably don't have access to that kind of money/credit cards and what not. Those kids in turn won't go around telling their friends about this cool new game they bought that they can easily pay for free online, and cause their friends to go buy the game to play it with them. Then there are people (like me) who just don't want to deal with all the paying monthly bullshit.

It's just going to end up for serious gamers who want to dedicate their time into playing SCII, and the game won't really pick up in popularity that way, or at least that's what I think. It doesn't help that they're making the game easier to master mechanically (auto-mine, MBS, blah blah etc.) so you probably won't have to train nearly as much to become/stay competitive, therefore the game will most likely just end up dying out in a few years.

Then again, I really doubt they are going to make people pay monthly to play online anyway.
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
January 31 2008 20:01 GMT
#169
On February 01 2008 02:36 JensOfSweden wrote:
Pay to play is nice.

If you can't pay like $10/month your a cheap bastard. I guess most of the people who don't wanna pay are the 14-year olds who don't have money


No. I just don't like getting totally buttraped by companies. The 50 or 60$ that it will cost for the game alone more than covers their costs.
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
TheTyranid
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
Russian Federation4333 Posts
January 31 2008 20:09 GMT
#170
On February 01 2008 04:30 Glider wrote:
I don't get all the people who are saying "hell no" to pay to play. I mean common, its supply and demand. How much hours of fun does starcraft give you for a whole month?? u don't think thats worth 10 bucks?? Especially since a shitty 1 hour and half movie and two happy meals cost just as much. Just because its free in the past doesn't mean it should stay free, things generally should cost what they are worth. and 5 to 10 bucks a month to play an amazing game on a server with people around the world is well worth it. Stop comparing it to what it is like in past and consider what it is worth in the present.

You go out and drink with few buddies and it can easily cost 20 dollars and the fun lasts just a few hours. Bowling for few hours, another 20 dollars. And you wouldn't pay 5 to 10 for a game that can easily give u 30+ hours of enjoyment per month?

Besides, even if they do ask for subscription fee it wouldn't be much at all. considering wow costs 15 per month, and the the MMORPG servers requires much much more expensive startup and upkeep fees.

After I saw the SC2 graphics and animations, especially for the thor and siege tank, I came to a conclusion that if the graphics don't get a drastic makeover, SC2 won't even be worth bying.
DwmC_Foefen
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
Belgium2186 Posts
January 31 2008 21:34 GMT
#171
FUCK NO!!
NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONOOONONONONONONONONONONOOOONONONONONOO

(mature right?:D)

No seriously, pay to play will kill SCII even at launch.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
January 31 2008 22:01 GMT
#172
Isnt starcraft client side anyways?
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
omgbnetsux
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States3749 Posts
January 31 2008 22:06 GMT
#173
$10 a month for matchmaking for a single game is silly. I'd pay maybe $1-2.
AcrossFiveJulys
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
United States3612 Posts
January 31 2008 22:23 GMT
#174
On February 01 2008 07:01 decafchicken wrote:
Isnt starcraft client side anyways?


There is definitely a server involved that facilitates battle.net... what do you think

"connecting to battle.net..." means?


omgbnetsux
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States3749 Posts
January 31 2008 22:28 GMT
#175
On February 01 2008 07:23 AcrossFiveJulys wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 01 2008 07:01 decafchicken wrote:
Isnt starcraft client side anyways?


There is definitely a server involved that facilitates battle.net... what do you think

"connecting to battle.net..." means?

Yes, but once the game is going he's implying its client to client. I'm not sure how it works, but I'm guessing very little game data actually goes through the battle.net servers themselves. Essentially Battle.net works as a matchmaking service similar to Xbox Live or something like that.
useLess
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States4781 Posts
January 31 2008 22:58 GMT
#176
P2P wont work on an RTS. It does wonders for MMO games, because those usually require grinding and time, but thats simply not the case for SC2
Moonlight Shadow
gNs.I-Great
Profile Joined December 2007
23 Posts
January 31 2008 23:23 GMT
#177
f*** that shit nigga
Its a bakery in here.. just tryin ta get dough
SK.Testie
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Canada11084 Posts
January 31 2008 23:54 GMT
#178
Paying a monthly fee might mean marginally less laggers due to less poor people.
Thus, it is worth it.
Social Justice is a fools errand. May all the adherents at its church be thwarted. Of all the religions I have come across, it is by far the most detestable.
Simplistik
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
2173 Posts
February 01 2008 00:04 GMT
#179
I would have no problem whatsoever with paying a small monthly fee. I work, so I can afford it. Hell every child can afford 10$ a month. Of course it would depend on wether or not I like SC2 and on wether or not it's worthwhile playing over bnet.
Dear BW Gods, it IS now autumn, so...
Krohm
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Canada1857 Posts
February 01 2008 00:55 GMT
#180
On February 01 2008 08:54 MYM.Testie wrote:
Paying a monthly fee might mean marginally less laggers due to less poor people.
Thus, it is worth it.

Oh that made me laugh... You're so right though.

Anyways, I would pay to play Sc2. However, if I played it like I play Sc, it would get pretty annoying. Since I tend to play Sc in monthly bursts. (Like play it for a couple months, then don't play it for a couple and so and so fourth)

I could see that getting really annoying. But $10 isn't really much to pay. I also think it would help in reducing hackers to a very slight degree.
Not bad for a cat toy.
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 15m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech99
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 741
Soma 435
910 359
BeSt 330
Hyuk 302
Light 274
Horang2 250
Pusan 117
Dewaltoss 95
EffOrt 89
[ Show more ]
Jaedong 66
Shinee 56
Stork 55
Killer 48
ZerO 43
Mong 41
Yoon 38
Rush 32
Mind 30
Bale 27
Sharp 23
NotJumperer 23
yabsab 18
ZergMaN 18
sorry 17
hero 11
Noble 7
Terrorterran 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe294
League of Legends
JimRising 389
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1344
pashabiceps781
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2389
Khaldor614
Other Games
gofns31368
singsing1351
ceh9644
XBOCT361
DeMusliM175
Pyrionflax137
Mew2King137
ArmadaUGS43
ZerO(Twitch)1
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick626
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream246
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH246
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2245
League of Legends
• Jankos1508
• Stunt459
Other Games
• WagamamaTV150
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
1h 15m
Stellar Fest
3h 15m
The PondCast
1d
OSC
1d 3h
Stellar Fest
1d 3h
OSC
1d 14h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.