• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:36
CEST 22:36
KST 05:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8261 users

Pay to Play? - Page 11

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 All
Sanity.
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States704 Posts
February 17 2008 23:29 GMT
#201
depends on how much it is for me. I wouldn't pay the 15$ for like most mmo's but i'd pay 5$ or something lol. I dont think it will be p2p though.
aeronexus
Profile Joined June 2007
United States392 Posts
February 18 2008 04:18 GMT
#202
pay to play pisses me the fuck off... just letting Blizzard know. I would be happy to boycott SC2 if they slap a monthly fee on bnet. fifty or sixty bucks a copy isn't enough?!?!? go to hell.
10 points!
D10
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Brazil3409 Posts
February 18 2008 06:30 GMT
#203
On February 18 2008 13:18 aeronexus wrote:
pay to play pisses me the fuck off... just letting Blizzard know. I would be happy to boycott SC2 if they slap a monthly fee on bnet. fifty or sixty bucks a copy isn't enough?!?!? go to hell.


If you think how you will enjoy the long term services of bnet ...
" We are not humans having spiritual experiences. - We are spirits having human experiences." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
February 18 2008 09:46 GMT
#204
On February 18 2008 15:30 D10 wrote:
If you think how you will enjoy the long term services of bnet ...

Do you even play broodwar ? Oh wait ... Bnet is free for 10 years.
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
Funchucks
Profile Joined June 2007
Canada2113 Posts
February 18 2008 14:35 GMT
#205
If people paid every month for Starcraft the way they do for WoW, Blizzard would probably have released an upgrade on the level of Brood War every year to keep people interested and subscribing.

How little is your time worth compared to your money, if you spend hours playing Starcraft every day, but wouldn't pay $15/month for it?

I don't think that a subscription model suits the general market (who will play SC2 casually for a couple of weeks or months, then shelf it), but the hardcore community should be begging Blizzard to take some of their money each month, so Blizzard has an ongoing commercial incentive to serve their long-term interests, and not just the interests of the far more numerous casual players.
I serve my houseguests slices of butter.
Snet *
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States3573 Posts
February 18 2008 16:08 GMT
#206
If $15.00 a month would give me a hack-free Bnet, with ongoing built-in ladders, and server upgrades, I would gladly pay it.

But the fact that Broodwar, and video games in general, are still played by a large amount of minors who still think $15.00 is an insanely unfair amount of money, it might not be a wise choice for Blizzard.

Anyway, RTS games aren't really suited for P2P, so I wouldn't stress over it. They don't charge for WC3, and that's the style of BNET I think they are aiming for in SC2, with auto match making and built in ladders and ranking systems, etc...

Also, with such a highly anticipated game, I think they will avoid anything that could bring a negative vibe to the release of Starcraft 2. They already bank enough off of WoW, I think Starcraft is more of a passion project for the Blizzard team.
scunite
Profile Joined January 2008
Canada6 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-02-18 18:24:41
February 18 2008 18:22 GMT
#207
A Pay To Play RTS Has Never Been Done Starcraft Makes It Money Of Advertising And Marketing. Not From Users.The Only Money They Get From Us Is When We Buy The Game.
Its Very Simple More People More People Want To Advertise.
Also MMORPG's Never End So They Users Are Always Coming Back To Do Quest. Starcraft Is So Popular Because No Other RTS Is Like It SC1 Is The Most Balanced Game Ive Ever Played.

http://www.scunite.co.nr/
CubEdIn
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Romania5359 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-02-18 18:24:57
February 18 2008 18:24 GMT
#208
On February 19 2008 01:08 Snet wrote:
If $15.00 a month would give me a hack-free Bnet, with ongoing built-in ladders, and server upgrades, I would gladly pay it.

But the fact that Broodwar, and video games in general, are still played by a large amount of minors who still think $15.00 is an insanely unfair amount of money, it might not be a wise choice for Blizzard.

Anyway, RTS games aren't really suited for P2P, so I wouldn't stress over it. They don't charge for WC3, and that's the style of BNET I think they are aiming for in SC2, with auto match making and built in ladders and ranking systems, etc...

Also, with such a highly anticipated game, I think they will avoid anything that could bring a negative vibe to the release of Starcraft 2. They already bank enough off of WoW, I think Starcraft is more of a passion project for the Blizzard team.


$15 IS an insanely unfair amount of money. Why?

Well, take Valve for example. They update games/steam all the time, and don't charge anything. I get the monthly fee in WoW or mmorpgs where they CONSTANTLY program more levels, expand the game further and further, and have to support HUGE servers.

But an RTS server? Are you serious? I pay $12 on my internet bill per month. I'm not going to pay $15 just for SC2. Besides, it's harder to pay for some people, we don't all have a monthly salary/credit cards. I do, but most of the kids who play will be under 18, and in Romania you can't have a cc if you're not over 18 and have an income.

And so on. I'm not saying it's impossible to pay on a monthly basis, but it IS annoying and if they're going to do it, I expect new units every 2 months or so.
Im not a n00b, I just play like one.
scunite
Profile Joined January 2008
Canada6 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-02-18 18:26:45
February 18 2008 18:26 GMT
#209
Its True Several Of My Friends Are Like 12-16 On Starcraft I Myself Are Only 13
http://www.scunite.co.nr/
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
February 18 2008 18:39 GMT
#210
On February 19 2008 01:08 Snet wrote:
If $15.00 a month would give me a hack-free Bnet, with ongoing built-in ladders, and server upgrades, I would gladly pay it.

But the fact that Broodwar, and video games in general, are still played by a large amount of minors who still think $15.00 is an insanely unfair amount of money, it might not be a wise choice for Blizzard.

Anyway, RTS games aren't really suited for P2P, so I wouldn't stress over it. They don't charge for WC3, and that's the style of BNET I think they are aiming for in SC2, with auto match making and built in ladders and ranking systems, etc...

Also, with such a highly anticipated game, I think they will avoid anything that could bring a negative vibe to the release of Starcraft 2. They already bank enough off of WoW, I think Starcraft is more of a passion project for the Blizzard team.


It's not the money. I could easily afford it. It's the principal. There's no need for them to charge for it.
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
CubEdIn
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Romania5359 Posts
February 18 2008 18:50 GMT
#211
Well I wasn't talking about anybody in particular. It's just that even those who can afford it, will probably want something for their 15 bucks. And that something should be way more than "hack free battle net". Not to mention the annoyance issue.
Im not a n00b, I just play like one.
Vin{MBL}
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
5185 Posts
February 18 2008 20:00 GMT
#212
if it's pay to play i would just play single player/lan games and only take the online for about 2 months per year or so. seriously, i already paid $50 for the game why should I pay more to get full functionality out of it?
Prev 1 9 10 11 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 544
UpATreeSC 106
JuggernautJason23
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 694
Dewaltoss 114
firebathero 94
Zeus 69
Trap 39
910 30
Bale 25
ToSsGirL 24
NaDa 23
Dota 2
monkeys_forever232
Counter-Strike
edward432
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS130
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4096
Liquid`Hasu2130
Other Games
summit1g5946
B2W.Neo580
byalli512
shahzam418
ToD219
C9.Mang0166
KnowMe149
Railgan17
Chillindude14
Trikslyr9
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV235
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream161
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 60
• Adnapsc2 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 30
• Azhi_Dahaki27
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur338
• WagamamaTV265
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 24m
Kung Fu Cup
14h 24m
Stellar Fest
16h 24m
Stellar Fest
16h 24m
Stellar Fest
16h 24m
The PondCast
1d 13h
OSC
1d 16h
Stellar Fest
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.