• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:09
CEST 13:09
KST 20:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11747 users

IEM World Championship to be Winner Takes All for $100,000…

Forum Index > SC2 General
1003 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 43 44 45 46 47 51 Next
Frex
Profile Joined March 2012
Finland888 Posts
January 28 2014 19:49 GMT
#881
Capitalism at its best I guess, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
fishjie
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1519 Posts
January 28 2014 19:51 GMT
#882
omfg duck duck should come out of retirement for this one so he can cheese everyone for the epic win. he's got nothing to lose.

no foreigner is gonna compete because they have 0% chance to win it. whereas the top koreans have some chance, but not a guaranteed chance. the past few years have proven sc2 is too volatile and involves too much random chance and not enough skill, hence there will never be a "best" player for longer than a few months. so it'll be interesting to see who decides to attend. the whole thing is like one giant series of coin flips
Neonico
Profile Joined May 2013
France24 Posts
January 28 2014 20:19 GMT
#883
I just don't get how people can think it's bad. Howis it different than the olympics for example ? where only the gold medal is important for a career, media coverage, etc....
xuanzue
Profile Joined October 2010
Colombia1747 Posts
January 28 2014 20:22 GMT
#884
On January 29 2014 03:39 Lorch wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 29 2014 03:24 Lazzi wrote:
On January 29 2014 03:04 Wingblade wrote:
On January 29 2014 03:01 Noobity wrote:
On January 28 2014 04:38 shinobi112 wrote:
On January 28 2014 04:35 Qwyn wrote:
This is really, really stupid. Thanks for giving all the other competitors in this thing no reward for their efforts whatsoever...

Honestly, what the fuck? This seems like more of the thing where a lot of talent would STAY AWAY just because there's no fucking point if they're just going to lose to a Korean...


Really, you believe any foreigner just says well I am going to lose a Korean, I might as well not go… If you are going to lose to a korean mentality and there are 10 koreans you are not going to participate anyways because you will be knocked out first round before any money anyways… They all are INVITED to this tournament after getting other prize money earlier in the year… THIS is like a BONUS tournament… with a BONUS prize of 100,000 so… All these players already got paid for their efforts.


I believe there are plenty of pretty good foreign pros that are going to pass on this invite or not. If I were scarlett and had to choose between traveling to IEM or staying home and practicing for an upcoming premiere league match, for instance, I'd be damned sure to practice for premiere league over a small chance for $100k, and more likely $0. There's not a single pro gamer, Korean or otherwise, that has a great chance at winning such a large event.

I don't tend to watch IEMs, I don't enjoy them as much as the other tournaments. A $100k prize to first place is not going to increase my likelihood of watching it. I respect the idea behind it and the goal, but I can't help but feel this is going to be a negative all things considered. I think it's just the wrong way to go about it.

But good luck, IEM. I hope I'm wrong


Practice? Playing in a live high pressure tournament setting against the worlds best is better than any practice one can get sitting at their home computer laddering or even in-team custom games.

I second that. The best practice for tournaments is actually playing in tournament.


Oh god you guys have obviously never ever competed in anything. No the best practice is sitting at home practicing. It's 10+ hours in a comfortable environment with no pressure and the ability to simply practice whatever build you want vs being in a high pressure situation, having to wait between series and having to play mindgames build order wise. A lot of pros have said in the past that their play has suffered due to them not being able to practice decently while traveling all the time.


...

sarcasm?

or you are simply trolling?
Dominions 4: "Thrones of Ascension".
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-28 20:39:11
January 28 2014 20:29 GMT
#885
On January 29 2014 05:22 xuanzue wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 29 2014 03:39 Lorch wrote:
On January 29 2014 03:24 Lazzi wrote:
On January 29 2014 03:04 Wingblade wrote:
On January 29 2014 03:01 Noobity wrote:
On January 28 2014 04:38 shinobi112 wrote:
On January 28 2014 04:35 Qwyn wrote:
This is really, really stupid. Thanks for giving all the other competitors in this thing no reward for their efforts whatsoever...

Honestly, what the fuck? This seems like more of the thing where a lot of talent would STAY AWAY just because there's no fucking point if they're just going to lose to a Korean...


Really, you believe any foreigner just says well I am going to lose a Korean, I might as well not go… If you are going to lose to a korean mentality and there are 10 koreans you are not going to participate anyways because you will be knocked out first round before any money anyways… They all are INVITED to this tournament after getting other prize money earlier in the year… THIS is like a BONUS tournament… with a BONUS prize of 100,000 so… All these players already got paid for their efforts.


I believe there are plenty of pretty good foreign pros that are going to pass on this invite or not. If I were scarlett and had to choose between traveling to IEM or staying home and practicing for an upcoming premiere league match, for instance, I'd be damned sure to practice for premiere league over a small chance for $100k, and more likely $0. There's not a single pro gamer, Korean or otherwise, that has a great chance at winning such a large event.

I don't tend to watch IEMs, I don't enjoy them as much as the other tournaments. A $100k prize to first place is not going to increase my likelihood of watching it. I respect the idea behind it and the goal, but I can't help but feel this is going to be a negative all things considered. I think it's just the wrong way to go about it.

But good luck, IEM. I hope I'm wrong


Practice? Playing in a live high pressure tournament setting against the worlds best is better than any practice one can get sitting at their home computer laddering or even in-team custom games.

I second that. The best practice for tournaments is actually playing in tournament.


Oh god you guys have obviously never ever competed in anything. No the best practice is sitting at home practicing. It's 10+ hours in a comfortable environment with no pressure and the ability to simply practice whatever build you want vs being in a high pressure situation, having to wait between series and having to play mindgames build order wise. A lot of pros have said in the past that their play has suffered due to them not being able to practice decently while traveling all the time.


...

sarcasm?

or you are simply trolling?

No, he is simply right.
There is a difference between constructive practice and gaining experience
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
Complete
Profile Joined October 2009
United States1864 Posts
January 28 2014 20:30 GMT
#886
I don't like this. But it's going to make me watch my first SC tournament in a long time because holy shit the finals are going to be epic (unless there is collusion).

Hmm :p
Black Gun
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Germany4482 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-28 20:36:31
January 28 2014 20:34 GMT
#887
this is total bullshit. in particular because the grand final is destined to be some lame, cheesy, stinky, coinflippy pvp between super and myungsik or something like that.


what i also dont like is the extreme importance it places on the finals. if the finals is lame, the tournament as a whole will be emotionally unsatisfactory. no one will care about great ro8 or ro4 series in a winner takes all tournament.
"What am I supposed to do against this?" - "Lose!" :-]
Cheren
Profile Blog Joined September 2013
United States2911 Posts
January 28 2014 20:35 GMT
#888
On January 29 2014 04:38 FilthyRake wrote:
I have never watched an IEM tournament before, but you better believe I am going to watch the HELL out of this one.

$100k winner-take-all? Yes please! Sounds epic to me. I want to see MC cheese the ever-living-crap out of people repeatedly in a bid to win the whole thing. I want to see scrappy, crazy, seriously non-standard StarCraft here.

I also think it is really valuable for other tournaments/tournament organizers to see the community reaction to this. Thinking about taking a risk? Thinking about changing it up? Get ready for some serious hate. I've personally sponsored a few $k for tournaments, and was planning on a $10k tournament in the next year, and things like this really make me think twice about what exactly my plans/goals were and how they would be received by everyone.


you're worried that if you have bad ideas someone might call you out on them? on the internet? oh my god.
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
January 28 2014 20:44 GMT
#889
I see a lot of people saying that the prize distribution will make the games better and different. I honestly don't think this will have much affect on gameplay...
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
Black Gun
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Germany4482 Posts
January 28 2014 20:47 GMT
#890
On January 29 2014 05:44 Darkhoarse wrote:
I see a lot of people saying that the prize distribution will make the games better and different. I honestly don't think this will have much affect on gameplay...

if anything, it will lead to more defensive play because no one wants to get caught by stupid cheese; and only inferior players will risk going for cheese or aggressive tactics either. so i expect a lot of snorefests in the nonmirrors and cheesefests in mirrors....
"What am I supposed to do against this?" - "Lose!" :-]
Kimb3r
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany744 Posts
January 28 2014 21:03 GMT
#891
http://mbcarmac.tumblr.com/post/35729479257/five-problems-of-starcraft-ii

Nothing to add, lol!
Maru | Dark | Zest | Reynor | Scarlett
WightyCity
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada887 Posts
January 28 2014 21:16 GMT
#892
I think they should spread it out a little more
90% watching it 8% talking about it and 2% playing it - sc2
Frankon
Profile Joined May 2010
3054 Posts
January 28 2014 21:25 GMT
#893
On January 29 2014 06:16 WightyCity wrote:
I think they should spread it out a little more

99.999$ for 1st and 1$ for 2nd?

I think the winner takes all is good if you consider its a tournament to sum up 2013/2014 IEM season in which only top players from regular IEM take part.
TeslasPigeon
Profile Joined March 2012
464 Posts
January 28 2014 21:42 GMT
#894
On January 29 2014 05:47 Black Gun wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 29 2014 05:44 Darkhoarse wrote:
I see a lot of people saying that the prize distribution will make the games better and different. I honestly don't think this will have much affect on gameplay...

if anything, it will lead to more defensive play because no one wants to get caught by stupid cheese; and only inferior players will risk going for cheese or aggressive tactics either. so i expect a lot of snorefests in the nonmirrors and cheesefests in mirrors....


Players aren't stupid. If they know someone is going to play it safe they will use that to work against them. Teching up or taking more bases you can't just sit at home the entire game and expect to win. Rarely does it happen amongst professional games.
Cheren
Profile Blog Joined September 2013
United States2911 Posts
January 28 2014 21:51 GMT
#895
On January 29 2014 06:42 TeslasPigeon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 29 2014 05:47 Black Gun wrote:
On January 29 2014 05:44 Darkhoarse wrote:
I see a lot of people saying that the prize distribution will make the games better and different. I honestly don't think this will have much affect on gameplay...

if anything, it will lead to more defensive play because no one wants to get caught by stupid cheese; and only inferior players will risk going for cheese or aggressive tactics either. so i expect a lot of snorefests in the nonmirrors and cheesefests in mirrors....


Players aren't stupid. If they know someone is going to play it safe they will use that to work against them. Teching up or taking more bases you can't just sit at home the entire game and expect to win. Rarely does it happen amongst professional games.


Yeah, people will play this out just like any other tournament. It'll have average viewer numbers, the players will show their usual strategies, the games will be as good as they always are, the only difference is 15 players will go home with nothing.
Epamynondas
Profile Joined September 2012
387 Posts
January 28 2014 21:54 GMT
#896
On January 29 2014 05:29 The_Red_Viper wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 29 2014 05:22 xuanzue wrote:
On January 29 2014 03:39 Lorch wrote:
On January 29 2014 03:24 Lazzi wrote:
On January 29 2014 03:04 Wingblade wrote:
On January 29 2014 03:01 Noobity wrote:
On January 28 2014 04:38 shinobi112 wrote:
On January 28 2014 04:35 Qwyn wrote:
This is really, really stupid. Thanks for giving all the other competitors in this thing no reward for their efforts whatsoever...

Honestly, what the fuck? This seems like more of the thing where a lot of talent would STAY AWAY just because there's no fucking point if they're just going to lose to a Korean...


Really, you believe any foreigner just says well I am going to lose a Korean, I might as well not go… If you are going to lose to a korean mentality and there are 10 koreans you are not going to participate anyways because you will be knocked out first round before any money anyways… They all are INVITED to this tournament after getting other prize money earlier in the year… THIS is like a BONUS tournament… with a BONUS prize of 100,000 so… All these players already got paid for their efforts.


I believe there are plenty of pretty good foreign pros that are going to pass on this invite or not. If I were scarlett and had to choose between traveling to IEM or staying home and practicing for an upcoming premiere league match, for instance, I'd be damned sure to practice for premiere league over a small chance for $100k, and more likely $0. There's not a single pro gamer, Korean or otherwise, that has a great chance at winning such a large event.

I don't tend to watch IEMs, I don't enjoy them as much as the other tournaments. A $100k prize to first place is not going to increase my likelihood of watching it. I respect the idea behind it and the goal, but I can't help but feel this is going to be a negative all things considered. I think it's just the wrong way to go about it.

But good luck, IEM. I hope I'm wrong


Practice? Playing in a live high pressure tournament setting against the worlds best is better than any practice one can get sitting at their home computer laddering or even in-team custom games.

I second that. The best practice for tournaments is actually playing in tournament.


Oh god you guys have obviously never ever competed in anything. No the best practice is sitting at home practicing. It's 10+ hours in a comfortable environment with no pressure and the ability to simply practice whatever build you want vs being in a high pressure situation, having to wait between series and having to play mindgames build order wise. A lot of pros have said in the past that their play has suffered due to them not being able to practice decently while traveling all the time.


...

sarcasm?

or you are simply trolling?

No, he is simply right.
There is a difference between constructive practice and gaining experience

Yeah, experience caps at level 35.
FilthyRake
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States473 Posts
January 28 2014 22:15 GMT
#897
On January 29 2014 05:35 Cheren wrote:
you're worried that if you have bad ideas someone might call you out on them? on the internet? oh my god.


The point is: If everyone is just going to shit on you for putting hard work/time/money into the community, why should you bother?

I contribute to the SC2 community because I love StarCraft and eSports, and want to give back. But if I thought I would be treated the way IEM is being treated here... why would I do it? I could just save myself the hassle and a lot of money.

Now, its slightly different for IEM. I am a person, they are a company. They cant just take their ball and go home, because it would sort of defeat the purpose of their business model. But if I were getting into the scene, this sort of thing would definitely make me think twice.
Co-owner of PSISTORM Gaming
Extenz
Profile Joined October 2011
Italy822 Posts
January 28 2014 22:25 GMT
#898
watching chanman show talking about this and I agree 100% with Kennigit... this tournament will have only people who are sure to win and people will prepare amazing stuff for this, even more efforts for blizzcon cause you want to WIN.
mostevil
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom611 Posts
January 28 2014 22:31 GMT
#899
Nice. Everything on the line, to the death. Can't hurt, unless you're one of the guys gunning for top 8...
我的媽和她的瘋狂的外甥都
Xinzoe
Profile Joined January 2014
Korea (South)2373 Posts
January 28 2014 22:47 GMT
#900
Will be interesting but the runner up will probably uninstall SC2 after losing Kappa

User was warned for this post
Prev 1 43 44 45 46 47 51 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings99
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko207
ProTech132
SHIN 55
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 3759
Hyuk 1175
Mind 954
Shuttle 862
Bisu 786
Larva 631
Mini 178
Soma 130
EffOrt 118
Leta 106
[ Show more ]
Last 105
firebathero 94
Zeus 88
Hyun 74
ZerO 63
Pusan 60
sorry 42
PianO 41
Sexy 38
Hm[arnc] 37
Trap 35
ToSsGirL 33
Killer 31
Bale 31
Aegong 22
yabsab 15
hero 13
JulyZerg 8
Sacsri 7
Noble 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe654
XaKoH 450
Dendi5
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1624
Other Games
gofns29871
singsing2245
B2W.Neo306
crisheroes293
OGKoka 164
Mew2King125
ArmadaUGS60
Livibee51
DeMusliM24
ZerO(Twitch)4
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream159
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 69
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP24
• Gemini_19 23
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7530
League of Legends
• Jankos1508
Other Games
• WagamamaTV9
Upcoming Events
FEL
4h 51m
AI Arena Tournament
5h 51m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
7h 51m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
22h 51m
INu's Battles
1d
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 12h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 22h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.