• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:44
CEST 22:44
KST 05:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9381 users

IEM World Championship to be Winner Takes All for $100,000…

Forum Index > SC2 General
1003 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 51 Next
Fjodorov
Profile Joined December 2011
5007 Posts
January 28 2014 00:53 GMT
#661
On January 28 2014 09:51 Verror wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 09:44 ivancype wrote:
Thats why I don't get why SC2 outside KR/Proleague have "pro" teams. Teams are supposed to pay a salary to players but because teams are not emphasized enough in SC2 they cant get good sponsorships and without those many players don't earn a good salary or get money at all. Then players rely on prizes to live, but there is not enough money in the scene to sustain these "pro" players. It wouldn't be a big deal to have a prize pool like these if players got paid well by their teams.

Maybe if SC2 worked more like tennis (no teams/individual sponsors/different levels of tournaments)... Or WCS go full team league...


I'm more confused why people who play a sport as a living expect to earn a living if they can't compete.

If I'm a hockey player who can't make it into a decent league, why should anyone be paying me for this? Am I not just doing this for fun?

Same thing with Starcraft players, If you can't play at the level where the money is, why are you expecting to earn money?


top16 IEM isnt good enough for you? Guess you have to have standards but...
Cheren
Profile Blog Joined September 2013
United States2911 Posts
January 28 2014 00:55 GMT
#662
On January 28 2014 09:51 Verror wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 09:44 ivancype wrote:
Thats why I don't get why SC2 outside KR/Proleague have "pro" teams. Teams are supposed to pay a salary to players but because teams are not emphasized enough in SC2 they cant get good sponsorships and without those many players don't earn a good salary or get money at all. Then players rely on prizes to live, but there is not enough money in the scene to sustain these "pro" players. It wouldn't be a big deal to have a prize pool like these if players got paid well by their teams.

Maybe if SC2 worked more like tennis (no teams/individual sponsors/different levels of tournaments)... Or WCS go full team league...


I'm more confused why people who play a sport as a living expect to earn a living if they can't compete.

If I'm a hockey player who can't make it into a decent league, why should anyone be paying me for this? Am I not just doing this for fun?

Same thing with Starcraft players, If you can't play at the level where the money is, why are you expecting to earn money?


SC2 at the current state is more like if you don't make it into the Stanley cup finals, you get paid little to no salary.
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
January 28 2014 00:55 GMT
#663
On January 28 2014 09:42 Orcasgt24 wrote:
I get the feeling this tourney will produce the best games of the year. The finals will probably be the best series. Lookin forward to it!

Also it is just one tourney out of thousands. Not sure what the big deal is. Like the IEM guys said, if you don't think you can win maybe you shouldn't try and save the travel money.

Believe it or not the prize pool isn't what makes the games good, and the finals doesn't mean the games will be good.

Case in point the Taeja vs. Innovation series at the WCS Season 2 finals was incredible and the finals between Bomber and Jaedong kinda sucked.
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
Verror
Profile Joined March 2011
261 Posts
January 28 2014 00:55 GMT
#664
On January 28 2014 09:48 Fjodorov wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 09:43 Verror wrote:
If the players are -GOING TO- split this, as a fair number of people, esports personalities included, have suggested then that is just sad. I'm with IEM at this point, having Katowice as a fun, one off, intense tournament FOR THE FANS seems like a great idea. There are no players who depended on 14th place at an IEM event to pay the bills (or any position tbh). If I'm wrong about that, it's a fault of the player, not the tournament.

This will be fun to watch. I haven't followed a SC2 tourney intently in 6 months or so, but I will for this one. Mission accomplished IEM.

Edit: to clarify, I have faith in the sc2 pros that they won't match fix for 25-50k... I hope I am proven right.


Match fixing is if they decide who is going to win before they even play the games. Thats not what ppl are talking about. Its entirely possible, and not even anything wrong with, the final two players splitting so that lets say first place gets 70k and second 30k. They will both play their best to win, just making sure they both get a good amount of money.


There is no way that I personally would play as hard (not necessarily well) if I knew that I was going to receive $50k win or lose.

As a fan, I want to see 2 people playing as hard as they can, knowing one will get everything, and one will walk away with nothing.
TBO
Profile Joined September 2009
Germany1350 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-28 00:59:23
January 28 2014 00:57 GMT
#665
On January 28 2014 09:55 Verror wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 09:48 Fjodorov wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:43 Verror wrote:
If the players are -GOING TO- split this, as a fair number of people, esports personalities included, have suggested then that is just sad. I'm with IEM at this point, having Katowice as a fun, one off, intense tournament FOR THE FANS seems like a great idea. There are no players who depended on 14th place at an IEM event to pay the bills (or any position tbh). If I'm wrong about that, it's a fault of the player, not the tournament.

This will be fun to watch. I haven't followed a SC2 tourney intently in 6 months or so, but I will for this one. Mission accomplished IEM.

Edit: to clarify, I have faith in the sc2 pros that they won't match fix for 25-50k... I hope I am proven right.


Match fixing is if they decide who is going to win before they even play the games. Thats not what ppl are talking about. Its entirely possible, and not even anything wrong with, the final two players splitting so that lets say first place gets 70k and second 30k. They will both play their best to win, just making sure they both get a good amount of money.


There is no way that I personally would play as hard (not necessarily well) if I knew that I was going to receive $50k win or lose.

As a fan, I want to see 2 people playing as hard as they can, knowing one will get everything, and one will walk away with nothing.


players would obviously not split 50/50 but 70/30 or something, so there would be still a huge incentive to win. You are one hell of a fan if you enjoy seeing a guy who got 2 at a GLOBAL FINALS events get nothing. Imagine only the winner of Wimbledon get anything.
Cheren
Profile Blog Joined September 2013
United States2911 Posts
January 28 2014 00:58 GMT
#666
On January 28 2014 09:36 sd_andeh wrote:
You guys do realize how much hype IEM has gotten already, only a couple of hours after their announcement? ^^
I think everyone whining about their decision is playing right into their hands. This is like already the most talked about tournament for like years.

Well played IEM, well played.


Most people in this thread and reddit would be watching the IEM world finals regardless.
Verror
Profile Joined March 2011
261 Posts
January 28 2014 00:59 GMT
#667
On January 28 2014 09:53 Fjodorov wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 09:51 Verror wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:44 ivancype wrote:
Thats why I don't get why SC2 outside KR/Proleague have "pro" teams. Teams are supposed to pay a salary to players but because teams are not emphasized enough in SC2 they cant get good sponsorships and without those many players don't earn a good salary or get money at all. Then players rely on prizes to live, but there is not enough money in the scene to sustain these "pro" players. It wouldn't be a big deal to have a prize pool like these if players got paid well by their teams.

Maybe if SC2 worked more like tennis (no teams/individual sponsors/different levels of tournaments)... Or WCS go full team league...


I'm more confused why people who play a sport as a living expect to earn a living if they can't compete.

If I'm a hockey player who can't make it into a decent league, why should anyone be paying me for this? Am I not just doing this for fun?

Same thing with Starcraft players, If you can't play at the level where the money is, why are you expecting to earn money?


top16 IEM isnt good enough for you? Guess you have to have standards but...


Certainly good enough for me, but the fact that 1 tournament having an irregular prize pool structure is going to "make or break" you? IMO this event is superb for fans, and /slightly annoying/ for the players (other than the winner, who'll be jumping for joy). IEM is getting a lot of undeserved hate for a cool idea.
Shyndashu
Profile Joined September 2011
United States136 Posts
January 28 2014 01:00 GMT
#668
Whoever loses in this tournament is going to be so demoralized, it just might actually be self inflicted career suicide...
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
January 28 2014 01:00 GMT
#669
On January 28 2014 09:55 Verror wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 09:48 Fjodorov wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:43 Verror wrote:
If the players are -GOING TO- split this, as a fair number of people, esports personalities included, have suggested then that is just sad. I'm with IEM at this point, having Katowice as a fun, one off, intense tournament FOR THE FANS seems like a great idea. There are no players who depended on 14th place at an IEM event to pay the bills (or any position tbh). If I'm wrong about that, it's a fault of the player, not the tournament.

This will be fun to watch. I haven't followed a SC2 tourney intently in 6 months or so, but I will for this one. Mission accomplished IEM.

Edit: to clarify, I have faith in the sc2 pros that they won't match fix for 25-50k... I hope I am proven right.


Match fixing is if they decide who is going to win before they even play the games. Thats not what ppl are talking about. Its entirely possible, and not even anything wrong with, the final two players splitting so that lets say first place gets 70k and second 30k. They will both play their best to win, just making sure they both get a good amount of money.


There is no way that I personally would play as hard (not necessarily well) if I knew that I was going to receive $50k win or lose.

As a fan, I want to see 2 people playing as hard as they can, knowing one will get everything, and one will walk away with nothing.

By that logic every final that has given prize money to the runner up has been a farce where they didn't play as hard as they could.
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
January 28 2014 01:03 GMT
#670
On January 28 2014 09:59 Verror wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 09:53 Fjodorov wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:51 Verror wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:44 ivancype wrote:
Thats why I don't get why SC2 outside KR/Proleague have "pro" teams. Teams are supposed to pay a salary to players but because teams are not emphasized enough in SC2 they cant get good sponsorships and without those many players don't earn a good salary or get money at all. Then players rely on prizes to live, but there is not enough money in the scene to sustain these "pro" players. It wouldn't be a big deal to have a prize pool like these if players got paid well by their teams.

Maybe if SC2 worked more like tennis (no teams/individual sponsors/different levels of tournaments)... Or WCS go full team league...


I'm more confused why people who play a sport as a living expect to earn a living if they can't compete.

If I'm a hockey player who can't make it into a decent league, why should anyone be paying me for this? Am I not just doing this for fun?

Same thing with Starcraft players, If you can't play at the level where the money is, why are you expecting to earn money?


top16 IEM isnt good enough for you? Guess you have to have standards but...


Certainly good enough for me, but the fact that 1 tournament having an irregular prize pool structure is going to "make or break" you? IMO this event is superb for fans, and /slightly annoying/ for the players (other than the winner, who'll be jumping for joy). IEM is getting a lot of undeserved hate for a cool idea.


Again, slightly annoying is a massive understatement. $15,000 is a massive deal for the runner up, and a lot more than an "annoyance".

$7,500 is also a very big deal for 3 and 4. And $3,750 is still very meaningful for 5 to 8.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
Verror
Profile Joined March 2011
261 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-28 01:13:31
January 28 2014 01:06 GMT
#671
On January 28 2014 09:57 TBO wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 09:55 Verror wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:48 Fjodorov wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:43 Verror wrote:
If the players are -GOING TO- split this, as a fair number of people, esports personalities included, have suggested then that is just sad. I'm with IEM at this point, having Katowice as a fun, one off, intense tournament FOR THE FANS seems like a great idea. There are no players who depended on 14th place at an IEM event to pay the bills (or any position tbh). If I'm wrong about that, it's a fault of the player, not the tournament.

This will be fun to watch. I haven't followed a SC2 tourney intently in 6 months or so, but I will for this one. Mission accomplished IEM.

Edit: to clarify, I have faith in the sc2 pros that they won't match fix for 25-50k... I hope I am proven right.


Match fixing is if they decide who is going to win before they even play the games. Thats not what ppl are talking about. Its entirely possible, and not even anything wrong with, the final two players splitting so that lets say first place gets 70k and second 30k. They will both play their best to win, just making sure they both get a good amount of money.


There is no way that I personally would play as hard (not necessarily well) if I knew that I was going to receive $50k win or lose.

As a fan, I want to see 2 people playing as hard as they can, knowing one will get everything, and one will walk away with nothing.


players would obviously not split 50/50 but 70/30 or something, so there would be still a huge incentive to win. You are one hell of a fan if you enjoy seeing a guy who got 2 at a GLOBAL FINALS events get nothing. Imagine only the winner of Wimbledon get anything.


I feel like a total as****e having to constantly defend my opinion, but this is just one tourney. I'll keep saying that If any player NEEDED IEM as an income source... well I hope no players planned their life around that.

And yes, I DO think that for every dollar earned that they players will play better, especially if its 20k+

If I was in that position I would NEVER agree to some prize split, It would feel as bad as match-fixing. I hope that the majority of pro's feel the same. Although I'm now not sure if that's the case.


Edit: I should have said played "harder" the finals will (imo) likely be awful, because the players will be SO nervous, but that's the essence of competition
TBO
Profile Joined September 2009
Germany1350 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-28 01:11:49
January 28 2014 01:09 GMT
#672
On January 28 2014 10:06 Verror wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 09:57 TBO wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:55 Verror wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:48 Fjodorov wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:43 Verror wrote:
If the players are -GOING TO- split this, as a fair number of people, esports personalities included, have suggested then that is just sad. I'm with IEM at this point, having Katowice as a fun, one off, intense tournament FOR THE FANS seems like a great idea. There are no players who depended on 14th place at an IEM event to pay the bills (or any position tbh). If I'm wrong about that, it's a fault of the player, not the tournament.

This will be fun to watch. I haven't followed a SC2 tourney intently in 6 months or so, but I will for this one. Mission accomplished IEM.

Edit: to clarify, I have faith in the sc2 pros that they won't match fix for 25-50k... I hope I am proven right.


Match fixing is if they decide who is going to win before they even play the games. Thats not what ppl are talking about. Its entirely possible, and not even anything wrong with, the final two players splitting so that lets say first place gets 70k and second 30k. They will both play their best to win, just making sure they both get a good amount of money.


There is no way that I personally would play as hard (not necessarily well) if I knew that I was going to receive $50k win or lose.

As a fan, I want to see 2 people playing as hard as they can, knowing one will get everything, and one will walk away with nothing.


players would obviously not split 50/50 but 70/30 or something, so there would be still a huge incentive to win. You are one hell of a fan if you enjoy seeing a guy who got 2 at a GLOBAL FINALS events get nothing. Imagine only the winner of Wimbledon get anything.


I feel like a total as****e having to constantly defend my opinion, but this is just one tourney. I'll keep saying that If any player NEEDED IEM as an income source... well I hope no players planned their life around that.

And yes, I DO think that for every dollar earned that they players will play better, especially if its 20k+

If I was in that position I would NEVER agree to some prize split, It would feel as bad as match-fixing. I hope that the majority of pro's feel the same. Although I'm now not sure if that's the case.


I am quite sure most players will play worse if they know that they will get nothing if they lose. That is some gigantic pressure you put on them. Imagine what it does to 18-25 years old person to be the guy who nearly won 100k and got nothing. Imagine that's the first time they are even in a final - of a tournament of the best of the best. And then you get no reward at all.
ivancype
Profile Joined December 2012
Brazil485 Posts
January 28 2014 01:09 GMT
#673
On January 28 2014 09:51 Verror wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 09:44 ivancype wrote:
Thats why I don't get why SC2 outside KR/Proleague have "pro" teams. Teams are supposed to pay a salary to players but because teams are not emphasized enough in SC2 they cant get good sponsorships and without those many players don't earn a good salary or get money at all. Then players rely on prizes to live, but there is not enough money in the scene to sustain these "pro" players. It wouldn't be a big deal to have a prize pool like these if players got paid well by their teams.

Maybe if SC2 worked more like tennis (no teams/individual sponsors/different levels of tournaments)... Or WCS go full team league...


I'm more confused why people who play a sport as a living expect to earn a living if they can't compete.

If I'm a hockey player who can't make it into a decent league, why should anyone be paying me for this? Am I not just doing this for fun?

Same thing with Starcraft players, If you can't play at the level where the money is, why are you expecting to earn money?


I agree with you and I think what you are saying adds to my point. SC2 needs a more coherent system so whoever enters this career path knows when they need to find something else for a living.
The other race is OP
templar rage
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2509 Posts
January 28 2014 01:10 GMT
#674
On January 28 2014 10:00 Darkhoarse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 09:55 Verror wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:48 Fjodorov wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:43 Verror wrote:
If the players are -GOING TO- split this, as a fair number of people, esports personalities included, have suggested then that is just sad. I'm with IEM at this point, having Katowice as a fun, one off, intense tournament FOR THE FANS seems like a great idea. There are no players who depended on 14th place at an IEM event to pay the bills (or any position tbh). If I'm wrong about that, it's a fault of the player, not the tournament.

This will be fun to watch. I haven't followed a SC2 tourney intently in 6 months or so, but I will for this one. Mission accomplished IEM.

Edit: to clarify, I have faith in the sc2 pros that they won't match fix for 25-50k... I hope I am proven right.


Match fixing is if they decide who is going to win before they even play the games. Thats not what ppl are talking about. Its entirely possible, and not even anything wrong with, the final two players splitting so that lets say first place gets 70k and second 30k. They will both play their best to win, just making sure they both get a good amount of money.


There is no way that I personally would play as hard (not necessarily well) if I knew that I was going to receive $50k win or lose.

As a fan, I want to see 2 people playing as hard as they can, knowing one will get everything, and one will walk away with nothing.

By that logic every final that has given prize money to the runner up has been a farce where they didn't play as hard as they could.


Pretty much. I get the feeling that people who can't see past the money just aren't very competitive (which is fine, not everyone is). I doubt Jaedong gives a shit how much money he won from all his 2nd places last year. All he sees is a bunch of 2nds and no titles. When you're as competitive as most of these pros are, you just want to win. Chopping a prizepool won't change this. Doing so is extremely common in poker tournaments and I cannot recall a single time in a major tournament where two people chopped heads-up and proceeded to shove every hand until the tournament was over (aka not trying to win).
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
January 28 2014 01:11 GMT
#675
On January 28 2014 10:06 Verror wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 09:57 TBO wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:55 Verror wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:48 Fjodorov wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:43 Verror wrote:
If the players are -GOING TO- split this, as a fair number of people, esports personalities included, have suggested then that is just sad. I'm with IEM at this point, having Katowice as a fun, one off, intense tournament FOR THE FANS seems like a great idea. There are no players who depended on 14th place at an IEM event to pay the bills (or any position tbh). If I'm wrong about that, it's a fault of the player, not the tournament.

This will be fun to watch. I haven't followed a SC2 tourney intently in 6 months or so, but I will for this one. Mission accomplished IEM.

Edit: to clarify, I have faith in the sc2 pros that they won't match fix for 25-50k... I hope I am proven right.


Match fixing is if they decide who is going to win before they even play the games. Thats not what ppl are talking about. Its entirely possible, and not even anything wrong with, the final two players splitting so that lets say first place gets 70k and second 30k. They will both play their best to win, just making sure they both get a good amount of money.


There is no way that I personally would play as hard (not necessarily well) if I knew that I was going to receive $50k win or lose.

As a fan, I want to see 2 people playing as hard as they can, knowing one will get everything, and one will walk away with nothing.


players would obviously not split 50/50 but 70/30 or something, so there would be still a huge incentive to win. You are one hell of a fan if you enjoy seeing a guy who got 2 at a GLOBAL FINALS events get nothing. Imagine only the winner of Wimbledon get anything.


I feel like a total as****e having to constantly defend my opinion,

You aren't an "as****e" for having and defending your opinion. That's allowed.
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
plogamer
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
Canada3132 Posts
January 28 2014 01:12 GMT
#676
Take Teamliquid's first commandment for example:

1. This is our house.

This is our house and you are our guests. We will do everything in our power to treat everyone with respect and accommodate everyone's wishes, but this is a private site, so when you're here, you abide by our rules. We're not obligated to observe anyone's notions of free speech or fairness, but we will try to. Feel free to open a dialogue with staff or moderators or give suggestions in the Website Feedback Forum.

I don't see why IEM is obligated either, excepting downright illegal and/or immoral behaviour - like not paying the winners, etc.

The only alternative is an organized front from a majority of the players (like a players' guild/union or something) - who can then leverage IEM to suit the prize structure to the players' needs. If enough people are upset, and don't watch the tournament or enough prominent players don't attend, then IEM will find it in its interest to make necessary changes. Until then, there's not much to say about this.
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
January 28 2014 01:14 GMT
#677
This looks like a job for Huk's player's union that never really happened.
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
January 28 2014 01:17 GMT
#678
On January 28 2014 10:06 Verror wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 09:57 TBO wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:55 Verror wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:48 Fjodorov wrote:
On January 28 2014 09:43 Verror wrote:
If the players are -GOING TO- split this, as a fair number of people, esports personalities included, have suggested then that is just sad. I'm with IEM at this point, having Katowice as a fun, one off, intense tournament FOR THE FANS seems like a great idea. There are no players who depended on 14th place at an IEM event to pay the bills (or any position tbh). If I'm wrong about that, it's a fault of the player, not the tournament.

This will be fun to watch. I haven't followed a SC2 tourney intently in 6 months or so, but I will for this one. Mission accomplished IEM.

Edit: to clarify, I have faith in the sc2 pros that they won't match fix for 25-50k... I hope I am proven right.


Match fixing is if they decide who is going to win before they even play the games. Thats not what ppl are talking about. Its entirely possible, and not even anything wrong with, the final two players splitting so that lets say first place gets 70k and second 30k. They will both play their best to win, just making sure they both get a good amount of money.


There is no way that I personally would play as hard (not necessarily well) if I knew that I was going to receive $50k win or lose.

As a fan, I want to see 2 people playing as hard as they can, knowing one will get everything, and one will walk away with nothing.


players would obviously not split 50/50 but 70/30 or something, so there would be still a huge incentive to win. You are one hell of a fan if you enjoy seeing a guy who got 2 at a GLOBAL FINALS events get nothing. Imagine only the winner of Wimbledon get anything.


I feel like a total as****e having to constantly defend my opinion, but this is just one tourney. I'll keep saying that If any player NEEDED IEM as an income source... well I hope no players planned their life around that.

And yes, I DO think that for every dollar earned that they players will play better, especially if its 20k+

If I was in that position I would NEVER agree to some prize split, It would feel as bad as match-fixing. I hope that the majority of pro's feel the same. Although I'm now not sure if that's the case.


Hate to break it to you, but a lot of SC2 players are piss-poor.

Second place at last year's IEM WC was $15,000. It was also more than a quarter of First's all-time earnings in SC2.

No one plans around getting second, or third/fourth, at IEM WC, but that kind of money could really be make-or-break cash for a lot of the players.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
Laryleprakon
Profile Joined May 2011
New Zealand9496 Posts
January 28 2014 01:24 GMT
#679
Not a big fan of winner take all but it should still be awesome to watch.
Sabu113
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States11110 Posts
January 28 2014 01:26 GMT
#680
This sounds pretty epic. If every tournament did it, yeah ok that could be unsustainable.

A one off? Yeah woo woo IEM!
Biomine is a drunken chick who is on industrial strength amphetamines and would just grab your dick and jerk it as hard and violently as she could while screaming 'OMG FUCK ME', because she saw it in a Sasha Grey video ...-Wombat_Ni
Prev 1 32 33 34 35 36 51 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O92
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason167
BRAT_OK 57
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16240
Artosis 913
ZZZero.O 92
Hyun 39
NaDa 26
Bale 25
League of Legends
Doublelift3472
JimRising 382
Counter-Strike
Fnx 791
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby7431
Other Games
summit1g8156
FrodaN2915
B2W.Neo658
ToD258
KnowMe171
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1478
BasetradeTV256
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 44
• StrangeGG 39
• Adnapsc2 23
• musti20045 10
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki31
• blackmanpl 3
• FirePhoenix3
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1313
• Shiphtur209
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
2h 16m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 16m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
14h 16m
Monday Night Weeklies
19h 16m
Replay Cast
1d 2h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 13h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 14h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.