• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:44
CEST 22:44
KST 05:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9275 users

IEM World Championship to be Winner Takes All for $100,000…

Forum Index > SC2 General
1003 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 51 Next
Shellshock
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States97277 Posts
January 27 2014 20:40 GMT
#281
On January 28 2014 05:39 NovaMB wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 05:38 Bagration wrote:
This is hilarious. Very very bold move by IEM, and certainly has people talking. I wondering how much backlash there will be though, if many players decide to drop out?

Why would anyone drop out though? They get flights and hotels paid.
To show a message? I dont see why anyone would deny a chance at 100k

especially with single elimination I feel like it really increases the chance of an underdog taking it. I don't see really anyone dropping out
Moderatorhttp://i.imgur.com/U4xwqmD.png
TL+ Member
MasterOfPuppets
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Romania6942 Posts
January 27 2014 20:40 GMT
#282
On January 28 2014 05:39 JustPassingBy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 05:36 boxerfred wrote:
On January 28 2014 04:31 Liquid`Nazgul wrote:
On January 28 2014 04:25 DinoMight wrote:
On January 28 2014 04:22 Liquid`Nazgul wrote:
It's hard to be negative about a $100k announcement but this is just bad.


For the players, maybe. But for the fans I don't think it's bad. I think it makes it a lot more tense and exciting to watch.

And the more peole watch esports the better it is for the players.. Even if that money was distributed among the top 3, you still have 13 guys going home with nothing. I think more viewers, sponsors etc. will benefit the scene better than prize money for the players since most get none anyway.

You're making all kinds of assumptions without properly valuing each part of what you say. An increase of viewers doesn't simply outweigh everything with no further questions asked. For example, for the players, an increase of 5% in viewers isn't worth such a ridiculous structure at all. However if viewers increase by 1000% then yes maybe it is good for the players. When it comes to players, there is just no way this is good.


Assumed that player that are qualified get a paid trip, I think it actually isn't such a bad idea. I'd love for a tournament where there's all or nothing. Though in the long term, I do not think it's a good idea :/


While I love this tournament as the crazy experiment it is, please, please ,please do not make this on a frequent basis!!!


There is absolutely no indication that they intend to run this kind of event this on a frequent basis.
"my shaft scares me too" - strenx 2014
gingerfluffmuff
Profile Joined January 2011
Austria4570 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-27 20:48:49
January 27 2014 20:40 GMT
#283
At least its something new :D.

Shouldnt matter too much for foreigners, cause i expect the top 8 to be korean.
Sao Paulo should be a matter between hero, bbyong and bomber.
From the other events we have also a load of very strong players.

I dont think P is gonna get to play unnerfed at the main event, so its gonna be interesting.

On January 28 2014 05:39 MasterOfPuppets wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 05:36 Blargh wrote:
On January 28 2014 05:27 shinobi112 wrote:
Again with the "I feel shitty mentality because I can not get first place and win the 100,000" I agree starcraft 2 is a flawed game and people may get "shit" luck but at the top levels you have to feel like you have a chance against anyone in the world otherwise you will get nowhere with a progamer career. The fact of it is the scene is very hard to make a living even when you are winning some smaller tournaments. This tournament can seriously give a person a life changing amount and is a brilliant idea.

The idea of top players splitting the money or "match fixing" even is a very bad mentality for e-sports and should be frowned upon greatly, people should not accept this. We must rely on the players to maintain the integrity of the game.

How about this... Why don't they just have a tournament where the top player can decide where to donate $100,000 to a selection of charities? Because I'm sure that'd be far more life changing for far more people than giving $100,000 to some SC2 player, who, honestly, will probably never do anything truly significant in their life.

And what should be frowned upon greatly is the $100k prize pool with winner-takes-all. If the winner of this tournament gave the top 16 all equal shares after the fact, he'd become my permanent favorite player.


Lol,

Why are you even here if you have such spite for competitive video game tournaments and their players? God forbid they should earn money for the effort they put in, jesus...

Yeah, i also dont get the obsession with charity (in the USA mostly, on TL). I guess its linked with imperialism and guilt.
・゚✧:・゚+..。✧・゚:・..。 ✧・゚ :・゚ ゜・:・ ✧・゚:・゚:.。 ✧・゚ SPARKULING *・゜・:・゚✧:・゚✧。゚+..。 ✧・゚: ✧・゚:・゜・:・゚✧::・・:・゚・゚
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
January 27 2014 20:41 GMT
#284
On January 28 2014 05:37 SixStrings wrote:
As a viewer:

This is the coolest thing ever.

As a Korean Pro (I imagine):

This is the biggest chance of my life.

As a white 'Pro' (I how many of those are left, really?):

This is terrible.

So far the only people complaining are the caucasian semipros who have been getting by with the occasional lucky Ro16 charity.


Please don't generalize, there are Koreans who find this terrible and there are non-Koreans who, well I wouldn't say love it, but at least they don't hate it.
SHOOG
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States1639 Posts
January 27 2014 20:41 GMT
#285
I have no issues with this. I think it will add an interesting entertainment factor to it.
Xoronius
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany6362 Posts
January 27 2014 20:41 GMT
#286
On January 28 2014 05:39 NovaMB wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 05:38 Bagration wrote:
This is hilarious. Very very bold move by IEM, and certainly has people talking. I wondering how much backlash there will be though, if many players decide to drop out?

Why would anyone drop out though? They get flights and hotels paid.
To show a message? I dont see why anyone would deny a chance at 100k

I think to show a message the best thing would be getting into the finals and then demand a certain distribution (40/20/10/5 or whatever) or refuse to play it.
Musicus
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany23580 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-27 20:41:52
January 27 2014 20:41 GMT
#287
I guess this guy won't split though :D.

Maru and Serral are probably top 5.
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
January 27 2014 20:41 GMT
#288
On January 28 2014 05:40 MasterOfPuppets wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 05:39 JustPassingBy wrote:
On January 28 2014 05:36 boxerfred wrote:
On January 28 2014 04:31 Liquid`Nazgul wrote:
On January 28 2014 04:25 DinoMight wrote:
On January 28 2014 04:22 Liquid`Nazgul wrote:
It's hard to be negative about a $100k announcement but this is just bad.


For the players, maybe. But for the fans I don't think it's bad. I think it makes it a lot more tense and exciting to watch.

And the more peole watch esports the better it is for the players.. Even if that money was distributed among the top 3, you still have 13 guys going home with nothing. I think more viewers, sponsors etc. will benefit the scene better than prize money for the players since most get none anyway.

You're making all kinds of assumptions without properly valuing each part of what you say. An increase of viewers doesn't simply outweigh everything with no further questions asked. For example, for the players, an increase of 5% in viewers isn't worth such a ridiculous structure at all. However if viewers increase by 1000% then yes maybe it is good for the players. When it comes to players, there is just no way this is good.


Assumed that player that are qualified get a paid trip, I think it actually isn't such a bad idea. I'd love for a tournament where there's all or nothing. Though in the long term, I do not think it's a good idea :/


While I love this tournament as the crazy experiment it is, please, please ,please do not make this on a frequent basis!!!


There is absolutely no indication that they intend to run this kind of event this on a frequent basis.


Sry, I misread Boxerfred's post, I thougth he would like to see this more often. :-/
shinobi112
Profile Joined May 2005
19 Posts
January 27 2014 20:42 GMT
#289
On January 28 2014 05:36 Blargh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 05:27 shinobi112 wrote:
Again with the "I feel shitty mentality because I can not get first place and win the 100,000" I agree starcraft 2 is a flawed game and people may get "shit" luck but at the top levels you have to feel like you have a chance against anyone in the world otherwise you will get nowhere with a progamer career. The fact of it is the scene is very hard to make a living even when you are winning some smaller tournaments. This tournament can seriously give a person a life changing amount and is a brilliant idea.

The idea of top players splitting the money or "match fixing" even is a very bad mentality for e-sports and should be frowned upon greatly, people should not accept this. We must rely on the players to maintain the integrity of the game.

How about this... Why don't they just have a tournament where the top player can decide where to donate $100,000 to a selection of charities? Because I'm sure that'd be far more life changing for far more people than giving $100,000 to some SC2 player, who, honestly, will probably never do anything truly significant in their life.

And what should be frowned upon greatly is the $100k prize pool with winner-takes-all. If the winner of this tournament gave the top 16 all equal shares after the fact, he'd become my permanent favorite player.


Really you are going to try this argument? Money can ALWAYS go to someplace better, to someone in MORE need. Do not even try to debate that.

If the player wants to split his money in 16 equal shares then that is fine but it SHOULD NOT be encouraged IF it lowers the level of performance by the other players.
one day one life
ptbl
Profile Joined January 2011
United States6074 Posts
January 27 2014 20:42 GMT
#290
I am definitely going to watch the tournament. So much tension and excitement. This is one tournament out of many. It's unique and something different. Kudos to ESL/IEM.
Don't mind me
Ventris
Profile Joined December 2011
Germany1226 Posts
January 27 2014 20:42 GMT
#291
On January 28 2014 05:41 Musicus wrote:
I guess this guy won't split though :D.

https://twitter.com/MCtoss2/status/427904035405176832


At least he will buy the right car and contribute to the German economy! ;D
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
January 27 2014 20:43 GMT
#292
On January 28 2014 05:41 Musicus wrote:
I guess this guy won't split though :D.

https://twitter.com/MCtoss2/status/427904035405176832
hahaha, awesome, gotta love mc.^^
Die4Ever
Profile Joined August 2010
United States17750 Posts
January 27 2014 20:43 GMT
#293
On January 28 2014 05:43 Yorbon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 05:41 Musicus wrote:
I guess this guy won't split though :D.

https://twitter.com/MCtoss2/status/427904035405176832
hahaha, awesome, gotta love mc.^^

loooool MC
"Expert" mods4ever.com
shinobi112
Profile Joined May 2005
19 Posts
January 27 2014 20:44 GMT
#294
On January 28 2014 05:41 Xoronius wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 05:39 NovaMB wrote:
On January 28 2014 05:38 Bagration wrote:
This is hilarious. Very very bold move by IEM, and certainly has people talking. I wondering how much backlash there will be though, if many players decide to drop out?

Why would anyone drop out though? They get flights and hotels paid.
To show a message? I dont see why anyone would deny a chance at 100k

I think to show a message the best thing would be getting into the finals and then demand a certain distribution (40/20/10/5 or whatever) or refuse to play it.


If you got to the finals with a chance to win 100,000 you would probably think differently… Everything seems easy until its YOUR money your talking about
one day one life
DinoMight
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States3725 Posts
January 27 2014 20:44 GMT
#295
I take back what I said earlier, It's actually a lot more spread out than I thought. Winner takes home a very small % age of the total.


http://2013.usopen.org/en_US/about/history/prizemoney.html

But the problem is in SC2 the money is less so you can't make a living off of 1 third round appearance a year.
"Wtf I come back and find myself in camp DinoMight all of a sudden, feels weird man." -Wombat_NI
SamuraiX-
Profile Joined January 2013
United States52 Posts
January 27 2014 20:44 GMT
#296
On January 28 2014 05:41 Musicus wrote:
I guess this guy won't split though :D.

https://twitter.com/MCtoss2/status/427904035405176832


MC is the fucking best ahahahaha
Bomber | Mvp | MMA – Life | Jaedong | Soulkey – Rain | Creator | Seed
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19391 Posts
January 27 2014 20:44 GMT
#297
On January 28 2014 05:41 Musicus wrote:
I guess this guy won't split though :D.

https://twitter.com/MCtoss2/status/427904035405176832

oGs pride. I can't wait to see him play. He better bring the ceremonies.
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
DinoMight
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States3725 Posts
January 27 2014 20:45 GMT
#298
On January 28 2014 05:43 Die4Ever wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 28 2014 05:43 Yorbon wrote:
On January 28 2014 05:41 Musicus wrote:
I guess this guy won't split though :D.

https://twitter.com/MCtoss2/status/427904035405176832
hahaha, awesome, gotta love mc.^^

loooool MC


ROFL MC.
"Wtf I come back and find myself in camp DinoMight all of a sudden, feels weird man." -Wombat_NI
oo_Wonderful_oo
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
The land of freedom23126 Posts
January 27 2014 20:45 GMT
#299
It will be ridiculous tense.
Imagine final where someone loses 3-4 and fall from the chair crying when winner is jumping around.

But it's still disgusting.
They could do % difference like GSL or other Korean leagues did and will do in future, but not 100-0.
LiquidLegends StaffFPL 25 #1 | tfw I cast games on-air | back-to-back Liquibet winner
TBone-
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2309 Posts
January 27 2014 20:45 GMT
#300
Thats ballsy as fuck.
Eve online FC, lover of all competition
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 51 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O92
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason167
BRAT_OK 57
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16240
Artosis 913
ZZZero.O 92
Hyun 39
NaDa 26
Bale 25
League of Legends
Doublelift3472
JimRising 382
Counter-Strike
Fnx 791
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby7431
Other Games
summit1g8156
FrodaN2915
B2W.Neo658
ToD258
KnowMe171
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1478
BasetradeTV256
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 44
• StrangeGG 39
• Adnapsc2 23
• musti20045 10
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki31
• blackmanpl 3
• FirePhoenix3
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1313
• Shiphtur209
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
2h 16m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 16m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
14h 16m
Monday Night Weeklies
19h 16m
Replay Cast
1d 2h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 13h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 14h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.