• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:45
CEST 23:45
KST 06:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5731 users

Starcraft 2 returns to MLG - Page 27

Forum Index > SC2 General
618 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 25 26 27 28 29 31 Next All
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
January 09 2014 20:15 GMT
#521
On January 10 2014 05:11 BronzeKnee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2014 05:10 MLG_Adam wrote:
On January 10 2014 05:06 BronzeKnee wrote:
On January 10 2014 05:05 Plansix wrote:
We can talk about MLG and beig excited by what is to come without going through a 4 year laundry list of grievances.


Sure, you want to talk about the future? Great, I'd be happy too.

But don't look at the past and call them invested in the SC2 community, or passionate cool gamers. They aren't. Perhaps in the future they will be, but as of right now, they aren't.

As I said, MLG is a business that sometimes produces high quality SC2 content when it makes business sense, nothing else. They are not part of the community, they are not passionate about SC2.



How do you know what I'm passionate about?


By your actions.

You do know that Adam helped the dota team, Speed gaming get plane tickets home after their manager had a full public melt down? And he went to bat for them on reddit when their manager decided to trash talk them after winning MLG. He didn't need to do either. How is that not passionate?
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Golgotha
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)8418 Posts
January 09 2014 20:23 GMT
#522
On January 10 2014 05:11 BronzeKnee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2014 05:10 MLG_Adam wrote:
On January 10 2014 05:06 BronzeKnee wrote:
On January 10 2014 05:05 Plansix wrote:
We can talk about MLG and beig excited by what is to come without going through a 4 year laundry list of grievances.


Sure, you want to talk about the future? Great, I'd be happy too.

But don't look at the past and call them invested in the SC2 community, or passionate cool gamers. They aren't. Perhaps in the future they will be, but as of right now, they aren't.

As I said, MLG is a business that sometimes produces high quality SC2 content when it makes business sense, nothing else. They are not part of the community, they are not passionate about SC2.



How do you know what I'm passionate about?


By your actions.


Dude lay off the dude's cock. Christ, you are so caught up looking at MLG in a bad light that you seem to forget all the GOOD actions MLG Adam and his staff have done for SC2. Remember how they fucked up in their first SC2 MLG? Then the next tournament they came back with a vengeance because they knew SC2 was important to the community. Sundance would always try to pull strings and do shit the SC2 community wanted. They always listened and did great work. Yeah, it sucks they dropped SC2 and they messed up that Gold membership stuff, but labeling them all as phony gamers with no passion? Where do you find such immature generalizations? How can someone who works in Esports on such a scale as MLG have no passion for gaming? More than most of us. So stop with the stupid judgments because it is embarrassing to see you hating on them when they are trying to bring SC2 back.

And, it is NOT their fault that SC2 was not bringing in numbers and was declining from the WoL era.
MLG_Adam
Profile Joined July 2010
United States994 Posts
January 09 2014 20:23 GMT
#523
Dallas 2013 was one of my favorite events. We designed it with the fans in mind. Every match was streamed, every player was flown in after qualifying, and it peaked at 135,000. The event was hailed as a massive success by fans, and we were thrilled. We announced that weekend via DJWheat on stage that every pro circuit for the rest of the year would be similar: high level, tightly produced, main stage only streamed matches.

However, things changed, things outside of our control. We tried to adapt and shift on a dime, but lead time, available resources, and the inability to achieve something that at the time was unachievable spelled our 'doom'. However, please don't say we were never passionate about the community. We might have fallen but that does not mean we didn't care.

When I put my name on something I like to do it right. Hopefully we can do a better job keeping you guys informed and involved moving forward as its obvious we did a horrific job previously.
Twitter: MrAdamAp
MLG_Adam
Profile Joined July 2010
United States994 Posts
January 09 2014 20:26 GMT
#524
On January 10 2014 05:23 Golgotha wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2014 05:11 BronzeKnee wrote:
On January 10 2014 05:10 MLG_Adam wrote:
On January 10 2014 05:06 BronzeKnee wrote:
On January 10 2014 05:05 Plansix wrote:
We can talk about MLG and beig excited by what is to come without going through a 4 year laundry list of grievances.


Sure, you want to talk about the future? Great, I'd be happy too.

But don't look at the past and call them invested in the SC2 community, or passionate cool gamers. They aren't. Perhaps in the future they will be, but as of right now, they aren't.

As I said, MLG is a business that sometimes produces high quality SC2 content when it makes business sense, nothing else. They are not part of the community, they are not passionate about SC2.



How do you know what I'm passionate about?


By your actions.


Dude lay off the dude's cock. Christ, you are so caught up looking at MLG in a bad light that you seem to forget all the GOOD actions MLG Adam and his staff have done for SC2. Remember how they fucked up in their first SC2 MLG? Then the next tournament they came back with a vengeance because they knew SC2 was important to the community. Sundance would always try to pull strings and do shit the SC2 community wanted. They always listened and did great work. Yeah, it sucks they dropped SC2 and they messed up that Gold membership stuff, but labeling them all as phony gamers with no passion? Where do you find such immature generalizations? How can someone who works in Esports on such a scale as MLG have no passion for gaming? More than most of us. So stop with the stupid judgments because it is embarrassing to see you hating on them when they are trying to bring SC2 back.

And, it is NOT their fault that SC2 was not bringing in numbers and was declining from the WoL era.



I ran my own grassroots events before I ever met Sunny and Mike. I had a nearly full ride to law school waiting for me but I turned it down to roll the dice on a job offer from MLG...their first employee after the co founders. I care way more than I should about the brand we have built, the community we have helped create, and the product we put on.

I certainly want a profitable business, but I also want to create something that people enjoy. That is why I work 100+ hours during an event week. It is complete passion for what I do.
Twitter: MrAdamAp
tadL
Profile Joined September 2010
Croatia679 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-09 20:36:00
January 09 2014 20:31 GMT
#525
4 years + of burning venture capital and a lot of more years with making not even a dollar is factored? Serious, please Adam stop acting like MLG did something right with their product. Only thing MLG did right and I respect MLG a lot for it is finding people that just pumping money into a idea that failed for so long and just maybe now thx to PC gaming is making money. But that will be shown if MLG has to take venture capital to stay alive right...again?

BTW did you correct the statement. Or does MLG still claim to be "Only American Online Competition"? Because I kind of think the simple Starcraft 2 ladder by Blizzard is offering this already for example.

ps: Can I please get the contact ID´s of your venture capital people? I have a lot of Ideas that will never work but I would like to try it for at least 10 years. <3
MLG_Adam
Profile Joined July 2010
United States994 Posts
January 09 2014 20:35 GMT
#526
On January 10 2014 05:31 tadL wrote:
4 years + of burning venture capital and a lot of more years with making not even a dollar is factored? Serious, please Adam stop acting like MLG did something right with their product. Only thing MLG did right and I respect MLG a lot for it is finding people that just pumping money into a idea that failed for so long and just maybe now thx to PC gaming is making money. But that will be shown if MLG has again to take venture capital to stay alive right?

BTW did you correct the statement. Or does MLG still claim to be "Only American Online Competition"? Because I kind of think the simple Starcraft 2 ladder by Blizzard is offering this already.



This is a pretty rude post and grossly misinformed. Because we took venture capital money we were 'burning it' which denotes spending it unwisely. I'm sure our board of directors and investors would not appreciate that. When a company is 'not profitable' it does not mean hemorrhaging money. We have always been close on a P&L level to being profitable.

Twitter: MrAdamAp
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
January 09 2014 20:37 GMT
#527
On January 10 2014 05:31 tadL wrote:
4 years + of burning venture capital and a lot of more years with making not even a dollar is factored? Serious, please Adam stop acting like MLG did something right with their product. Only thing MLG did right and I respect MLG a lot for it is finding people that just pumping money into a idea that failed for so long and just maybe now thx to PC gaming is making money. But that will be shown if MLG has to take venture capital to stay alive right...again?

BTW did you correct the statement. Or does MLG still claim to be "Only American Online Competition"? Because I kind of think the simple Starcraft 2 ladder by Blizzard is offering this already for example.

We have a expert of venture capital on out hands here, folks. When people were saying that there are parts of the community that are fustrating to deal with, they were talking about this guy.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
GoSuChicken
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Germany1726 Posts
January 09 2014 20:39 GMT
#528
lets hope its gonna work out well!
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
January 09 2014 20:40 GMT
#529
On January 10 2014 05:31 tadL wrote:
4 years + of burning venture capital and a lot of more years with making not even a dollar is factored? Serious, please Adam stop acting like MLG did something right with their product. Only thing MLG did right and I respect MLG a lot for it is finding people that just pumping money into a idea that failed for so long and just maybe now thx to PC gaming is making money. But that will be shown if MLG has to take venture capital to stay alive right...again?

BTW did you correct the statement. Or does MLG still claim to be "Only American Online Competition"? Because I kind of think the simple Starcraft 2 ladder by Blizzard is offering this already for example.

ps: Can I please get the contact ID´s of your venture capital people? I have a lot of Ideas that will never work but I would like to try it for at least 10 years. <3

So you've had a look at MLG's financials yourself or is this more of your now infamous random uninformed bashing of a company trying to help the scene?
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-09 20:43:56
January 09 2014 20:42 GMT
#530
On January 10 2014 05:11 BronzeKnee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2014 05:10 MLG_Adam wrote:
On January 10 2014 05:06 BronzeKnee wrote:
On January 10 2014 05:05 Plansix wrote:
We can talk about MLG and beig excited by what is to come without going through a 4 year laundry list of grievances.


Sure, you want to talk about the future? Great, I'd be happy too.

But don't look at the past and call them invested in the SC2 community, or passionate cool gamers. They aren't. Perhaps in the future they will be, but as of right now, they aren't.

As I said, MLG is a business that sometimes produces high quality SC2 content when it makes business sense, nothing else. They are not part of the community, they are not passionate about SC2.



How do you know what I'm passionate about?


By your actions.


Erm, do you know anyone else who has been responding to so many stupid and many insulting questions as Adam in the community? And do you know long he has been doing this?

Maybe the entire MLG isn't like him, but it is clear that there are people at MLG who are really passionate, and Adam is one of them. MLG has made mistakes in the past, but they have also revolutionized the esports scene in many games. Yes, MLG do try and push you to buy/pay for their content, but I mean in this industry it's necessary. They have tried different models, try a PPV, etc. But in the end, there aren't any scams MLG has tried to do, probably some complications that didn't turn out the way they had hoped, in where they didn't respond correctly.

Surely you are also not including all the good MLG has done. They have the best crowds, they treat players very well with nice hotels, they pay winnings right away. And offer a very complete package. They do offer a premium esport product, and some people want that premium esport content... I suppose they do charge a decent amount for their content opposed to others. But all this stuff costs a lot to make, and some people want to watch premium tournaments and not mediocre production etc. I want that, and I'm willing to pay for it. Hockey, football, tennis would not have very good production if there weren't people that would spend $150 to see games live. People who pay to watch UFC, etc. MLG always tries to set the bar, and actually monetize it, just like how conventional sports are monetized. I would say out of any western company, MLG does the best job to bringing games to the way many sports operate. It's more costly, but I think it's better. Brings more legitimacy as well as more entertainment.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
Wuster
Profile Joined May 2011
1974 Posts
January 09 2014 20:43 GMT
#531
On January 10 2014 05:40 Darkhoarse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2014 05:31 tadL wrote:
4 years + of burning venture capital and a lot of more years with making not even a dollar is factored? Serious, please Adam stop acting like MLG did something right with their product. Only thing MLG did right and I respect MLG a lot for it is finding people that just pumping money into a idea that failed for so long and just maybe now thx to PC gaming is making money. But that will be shown if MLG has to take venture capital to stay alive right...again?

BTW did you correct the statement. Or does MLG still claim to be "Only American Online Competition"? Because I kind of think the simple Starcraft 2 ladder by Blizzard is offering this already for example.

ps: Can I please get the contact ID´s of your venture capital people? I have a lot of Ideas that will never work but I would like to try it for at least 10 years. <3

So you've had a look at MLG's financials yourself or is this more of your now infamous random uninformed bashing of a company trying to help the scene?


Earnings hardly tell the whole story for why people invest in a company. Amazon's basically negative as often as it is positive these days (after what? ~10 years post-IPO of being negative?).

So ya, it's just a random uninformed bash.

In any case, this thread is turning into a really strange flame war...
TotalBiscuit
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom5437 Posts
January 09 2014 20:44 GMT
#532
You know what I love? People who have never spent a dime improving the scene criticizing the passion of people who have. How brave of you, how noble. No risk, no consequences and no balls.

Fuck those kind of people.
CommentatorHost of SHOUTcraft Clan Wars- http://www.mlg.tv/shoutcraft
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
January 09 2014 20:49 GMT
#533
On January 10 2014 05:44 TotalBiscuit wrote:
You know what I love? People who have never spent a dime improving the scene criticizing the passion of people who have. How brave of you, how noble. No risk, no consequences and no balls.

Fuck those kind of people.

But TB, they are so horrible misinformed it's funny. Just think what it is like to wake up every day and be that dumb. It's almost tragic if they weren't such assholes.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
TotalBiscuit
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom5437 Posts
January 09 2014 20:51 GMT
#534
On January 10 2014 05:49 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2014 05:44 TotalBiscuit wrote:
You know what I love? People who have never spent a dime improving the scene criticizing the passion of people who have. How brave of you, how noble. No risk, no consequences and no balls.

Fuck those kind of people.

But TB, they are so horrible misinformed it's funny. Just think what it is like to wake up every day and be that dumb. It's almost tragic if they weren't such assholes.


And most of us are just through trying to inform them because we get witchhunted by the community when we do, so hey.
CommentatorHost of SHOUTcraft Clan Wars- http://www.mlg.tv/shoutcraft
BronzeKnee
Profile Joined March 2011
United States5226 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-09 21:00:38
January 09 2014 20:54 GMT
#535
On January 10 2014 05:44 TotalBiscuit wrote:
You know what I love? People who have never spent a dime improving the scene criticizing the passion of people who have. How brave of you, how noble. No risk, no consequences and no balls.

Fuck those kind of people.


Well I hope your post wasn't directed at me, because I've spent many, many dimes on the scene. I put my hard earned money into SC2, and then I got ripped off because of a bait and switch scheme... if MLG was seriously passionate about the SC2 community, they wouldn't have done that. Even Alex Garfield called them out for it ( http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=311778 ). And that isn't the only incident.

So yeah, fuck me, fuck those people who expect to get what they pay for. Fuck them for being mad MLG ripped em off...

This isn't a joke TB. This is people's money, and this is the credibility of E-Sports.

Listen, I'm excited about MLG returning, read at my posts, look at my post history. But as I said, let's not pretend this is the second coming of Christ.

Let's be happy, and wary.
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
January 09 2014 20:54 GMT
#536
On January 10 2014 05:51 TotalBiscuit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2014 05:49 Plansix wrote:
On January 10 2014 05:44 TotalBiscuit wrote:
You know what I love? People who have never spent a dime improving the scene criticizing the passion of people who have. How brave of you, how noble. No risk, no consequences and no balls.

Fuck those kind of people.

But TB, they are so horrible misinformed it's funny. Just think what it is like to wake up every day and be that dumb. It's almost tragic if they weren't such assholes.


And most of us are just through trying to inform them because we get witchhunted by the community when we do, so hey.


I think the problem is that forums are just really really good at finding the vocal minority. Even if you have a thread of 10 pages about people complaining about you, that's likely 100 people that are not happy with what you do, 50 saying good things, and 50 trying to tell the 100 that they are wrong. Then the rest of the tens of thousands are likely pretty satisfied.

I guess it's just an interesting dynamic, since those few negative people can really turn off people from a tournament, or really make someone start disliking a certain group, because people who are not very informed read the comment and make their opinion. Hard to really know what to do ...
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
MLG_Adam
Profile Joined July 2010
United States994 Posts
January 09 2014 21:02 GMT
#537
On January 10 2014 05:54 BronzeKnee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2014 05:44 TotalBiscuit wrote:
You know what I love? People who have never spent a dime improving the scene criticizing the passion of people who have. How brave of you, how noble. No risk, no consequences and no balls.

Fuck those kind of people.


Well I hope your post wasn't directed at me, because I've spent many, many dimes on the scene. I put my hard earned money into SC2, and then I got ripped off because of a bait and switch scheme... if MLG was seriously passionate about the SC2 community, they wouldn't have done that. Even Alex Garfield called them out for it. And that isn't the only incident.

So yeah, fuck me, fuck those people who expect to get what they pay for. Fuck them for being mad MLG ripped em off...

Listen, I'm excited about MLG returning, read at my posts, look at my post history. But as I said, let's not pretend this is the second coming of Christ.

Let's be happy, and wary.



Alex did not say it was a bait and switch, he was mad that his players would be behind a pay wall; he has sponsors to worry about (rightly so)

As to the bait and switch thing, that is not accurate. We sold gold membership with X amount of events announced. We rolled in arenas later creating a new product. We can debate this all day and we would both make good points, but at the end of the day I doubt we'll ever agree. My only point was it was not an intentional f you to customers.

Have a great day.
Twitter: MrAdamAp
tadL
Profile Joined September 2010
Croatia679 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-09 21:05:49
January 09 2014 21:04 GMT
#538
Close to means what? You never reached it, you barely reached it, you made 1 dollar? Or does it just mean nothing but you have to say something without really answering to a question?

I know you have to do this and I am not angry its your job. The only reason MLG still exists is because you have someone in your company that can rise venture capital over and over again. This I respect. But it also shows that you never understood how to make money with eSport like other companies in this industry. Ofc being an US company sucks in terms of esport for many reasons. Infrastructure to just take one example. I get it.

And I also get why MLG is trying to sell everything positive and as a gift. Saying it in a way that is also true but not as positive is bad marketing (?), I get it. And I bet helping streamers to get a shedule out to maximase "their" profit is such a thing. Ofc its just for the best of the "streamer" right?

But dont try this PR nonsense with me please. Lets better hope the investors or venture capital people dont just do the usual thing. Cut a company in parts to sell as much of it and get some money back. And I hope you have a business running and you are not relaying on Riot to pay a lot of your bills.

And lets hope you make a good job for the next event to improve the streaming viewer experience if no game is running.
MLG_Adam
Profile Joined July 2010
United States994 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-09 21:25:51
January 09 2014 21:25 GMT
#539
On January 10 2014 06:04 tadL wrote:
Close to means what? You never reached it, you barely reached it, you made 1 dollar? Or does it just mean nothing but you have to say something without really answering to a question?

I know you have to do this and I am not angry its your job. The only reason MLG still exists is because you have someone in your company that can rise venture capital over and over again. This I respect. But it also shows that you never understood how to make money with eSport like other companies in this industry. Ofc being an US company sucks in terms of esport for many reasons. Infrastructure to just take one example. I get it.

And I also get why MLG is trying to sell everything positive and as a gift. Saying it in a way that is also true but not as positive is bad marketing (?), I get it. And I bet helping streamers to get a shedule out to maximase "their" profit is such a thing. Ofc its just for the best of the "streamer" right?

But dont try this PR nonsense with me please. Lets better hope the investors or venture capital people dont just do the usual thing. Cut a company in parts to sell as much of it and get some money back. And I hope you have a business running and you are not relaying on Riot to pay a lot of your bills.

And lets hope you make a good job for the next event to improve the streaming viewer experience if no game is running.


Are you serious? We received investment money because what were doing was profitable and had potential for exponential growth. The model is difficult to predict when you take something smaller, infuse capital into it, and hope the ROI is there. We are still figuring it out, but to say that we're only alive because we received venture capital is wrong. We received venture capital because we saw potential to grow our successful business into something else.
Twitter: MrAdamAp
Wuster
Profile Joined May 2011
1974 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-09 21:28:13
January 09 2014 21:26 GMT
#540
On January 10 2014 05:54 FiWiFaKi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 10 2014 05:51 TotalBiscuit wrote:
On January 10 2014 05:49 Plansix wrote:
On January 10 2014 05:44 TotalBiscuit wrote:
You know what I love? People who have never spent a dime improving the scene criticizing the passion of people who have. How brave of you, how noble. No risk, no consequences and no balls.

Fuck those kind of people.

But TB, they are so horrible misinformed it's funny. Just think what it is like to wake up every day and be that dumb. It's almost tragic if they weren't such assholes.


And most of us are just through trying to inform them because we get witchhunted by the community when we do, so hey.


I think the problem is that forums are just really really good at finding the vocal minority. Even if you have a thread of 10 pages about people complaining about you, that's likely 100 people that are not happy with what you do, 50 saying good things, and 50 trying to tell the 100 that they are wrong. Then the rest of the tens of thousands are likely pretty satisfied.

I guess it's just an interesting dynamic, since those few negative people can really turn off people from a tournament, or really make someone start disliking a certain group, because people who are not very informed read the comment and make their opinion. Hard to really know what to do ...


Anyone who's done statistical work knows that it's crucial to get opinions from people whether they want to give them or not rather than just relying on people opt-ing in. And that's because people with strong-feelings are much, much more likely to opt-in. This isn't just pop-psychology, but something study after study has proven how voluntary feedback can lead to skewed results.

So ya, forums aren't just good at finding the vocal minority, they basically *are* the vocal minority.

Now, I'm not sure if there's a reason or bias towards unhappy/negativity when it comes to having strong feelings since the key word is 'strong' feelings.

Edit: Of course forums aren't exactly surveys, but similar concept I think for people who decide to post / those who lurk.
Prev 1 25 26 27 28 29 31 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12h 15m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 171
Nina 115
SpeCial 74
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 148
firebathero 68
910 39
NaDa 29
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm2
Counter-Strike
Fnx 784
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0170
PPMD52
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby8800
Liquid`Hasu1696
Trikslyr87
Other Games
summit1g6829
Liquid`RaSZi5755
shahzam513
B2W.Neo217
JimRising 181
Pyrionflax176
KnowMe134
ArmadaUGS113
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream319
Other Games
BasetradeTV218
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 60
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 31
• Eskiya23 23
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1032
Other Games
• imaqtpie1174
• Shiphtur259
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12h 15m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 15m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 2h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 13h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.