• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:24
CEST 14:24
KST 21:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8761 users

Jan 2nd Balance Test Map - Page 27

Forum Index > SC2 General
757 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 25 26 27 28 29 38 Next All
Waise
Profile Joined June 2013
3165 Posts
January 04 2014 00:11 GMT
#521
On January 04 2014 09:11 Plansix wrote:
We should totally argue about personal opinion about which match up is best and most robust.

Ready? GO!

I think PvT is the best because I like the animation that marines make when the colossi burn them and zealots slice them. PROVE ME WRONG!

i'm not sure what the alternative to arguing about personal opinions is. should we close the forum? or are we supposed to be posting nothing but facts, which would mean the pool of data available to us is basically winrates and unit statistics?
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
January 04 2014 00:15 GMT
#522
On January 04 2014 09:11 Waise wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2014 09:11 Plansix wrote:
We should totally argue about personal opinion about which match up is best and most robust.

Ready? GO!

I think PvT is the best because I like the animation that marines make when the colossi burn them and zealots slice them. PROVE ME WRONG!

i'm not sure what the alternative to arguing about personal opinions is. should we close the forum? or are we supposed to be posting nothing but facts, which would mean the pool of data available to us is basically winrates and unit statistics?

I think we can discuss stuff without measuring which match up gave us the "best games" and "most amazing Esports moments" and other shit posts like that. There are smarter discussions to be had out there.

Like, with the the PO only lasting 40 seconds, does the terran have a window to attack early if they can bait it out? That is basically one warp in cycle, so can does it provide room to pressure the protoss? Show you work.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Deleted User 137586
Profile Joined January 2011
7859 Posts
January 04 2014 00:17 GMT
#523
On January 04 2014 09:15 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2014 09:11 Waise wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:11 Plansix wrote:
We should totally argue about personal opinion about which match up is best and most robust.

Ready? GO!

I think PvT is the best because I like the animation that marines make when the colossi burn them and zealots slice them. PROVE ME WRONG!

i'm not sure what the alternative to arguing about personal opinions is. should we close the forum? or are we supposed to be posting nothing but facts, which would mean the pool of data available to us is basically winrates and unit statistics?

I think we can discuss stuff without measuring which match up gave us the "best games" and "most amazing Esports moments" and other shit posts like that. There are smarter discussions to be had out there.

Like, with the the PO only lasting 40 seconds, does the terran have a window to attack early if they can bait it out? That is basically one warp in cycle, so can does it provide room to pressure the protoss? Show you work.


Better close the TL news section then Why else are we here if not to celebrate the best that StarCraft has brought us.
Cry 'havoc' and let slip the dogs of war
Squat
Profile Joined September 2013
Sweden7978 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-04 00:35:30
January 04 2014 00:17 GMT
#524
The whole thread is people posting their personal opinions on balance changes over which they have zero influence. That's usually what a forum is.

I never said that my choices of best match ups were somehow objectively true. But I do contend that with the way PvP is, it cannot be used a reason not to go through with this, because any dependence on PO to survive early aggression in PvP is a sign of far deeper issues that cannot be resolved in a balance patch. If even shittier PvP is the price we pay for better PvZ and specifically PvT, I am cool with that.
"Digital. They have digital. What is digital?" - Donald J Trump
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
January 04 2014 00:20 GMT
#525
On January 04 2014 09:17 Squat wrote:
The whole thread is people posting their personal opinions on balance changes over which they have zero influence. That's usually what a forum is.

I never said that my choices of best match ups were somehow objectively true. But I do contend that with the way PvP is, it cannot be used a season not to go through with this, because any dependence on PO to survive early aggression in PvP is a sign of far deeper issues that cannot be resolved in a balance patch. If even shittier PvP is the price we pay for better PvZ and specifically PvT, I am cool with that.


ok, make scan require an armory research. If you have trouble with banshees and mines, it's just a sign of deeper issues with Terran that cannot be resolved in a balance patch.

#stupidlogic
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
January 04 2014 00:20 GMT
#526
On January 04 2014 09:17 Ghanburighan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2014 09:15 Plansix wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:11 Waise wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:11 Plansix wrote:
We should totally argue about personal opinion about which match up is best and most robust.

Ready? GO!

I think PvT is the best because I like the animation that marines make when the colossi burn them and zealots slice them. PROVE ME WRONG!

i'm not sure what the alternative to arguing about personal opinions is. should we close the forum? or are we supposed to be posting nothing but facts, which would mean the pool of data available to us is basically winrates and unit statistics?

I think we can discuss stuff without measuring which match up gave us the "best games" and "most amazing Esports moments" and other shit posts like that. There are smarter discussions to be had out there.

Like, with the the PO only lasting 40 seconds, does the terran have a window to attack early if they can bait it out? That is basically one warp in cycle, so can does it provide room to pressure the protoss? Show you work.


Better close the TL news section then Why else are we here if not to celebrate the best that StarCraft has brought us.

I'm all for celbrating SC2, but I think we can do better than:

"No TvT is the best mirror match, noob"
"No, scrub, TvZ is the best match up period. Must beautiful games of all time".

But I have high standards sometimes.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
January 04 2014 00:26 GMT
#527
On January 04 2014 09:20 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2014 09:17 Ghanburighan wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:15 Plansix wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:11 Waise wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:11 Plansix wrote:
We should totally argue about personal opinion about which match up is best and most robust.

Ready? GO!

I think PvT is the best because I like the animation that marines make when the colossi burn them and zealots slice them. PROVE ME WRONG!

i'm not sure what the alternative to arguing about personal opinions is. should we close the forum? or are we supposed to be posting nothing but facts, which would mean the pool of data available to us is basically winrates and unit statistics?

I think we can discuss stuff without measuring which match up gave us the "best games" and "most amazing Esports moments" and other shit posts like that. There are smarter discussions to be had out there.

Like, with the the PO only lasting 40 seconds, does the terran have a window to attack early if they can bait it out? That is basically one warp in cycle, so can does it provide room to pressure the protoss? Show you work.


Better close the TL news section then Why else are we here if not to celebrate the best that StarCraft has brought us.

I'm all for celbrating SC2, but I think we can do better than:

"No TvT is the best mirror match, noob"
"No, scrub, TvZ is the best match up period. Must beautiful games of all time".

But I have high standards sometimes.


Hey, I would even be OK with that, if people would
a) realize it's personal taste and not up for discussion
b) do so without shitting on all other races/matchups ("TvT is the best matchup, because PvP is shit and...")
Deleted User 137586
Profile Joined January 2011
7859 Posts
January 04 2014 00:26 GMT
#528
On January 04 2014 09:20 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2014 09:17 Ghanburighan wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:15 Plansix wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:11 Waise wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:11 Plansix wrote:
We should totally argue about personal opinion about which match up is best and most robust.

Ready? GO!

I think PvT is the best because I like the animation that marines make when the colossi burn them and zealots slice them. PROVE ME WRONG!

i'm not sure what the alternative to arguing about personal opinions is. should we close the forum? or are we supposed to be posting nothing but facts, which would mean the pool of data available to us is basically winrates and unit statistics?

I think we can discuss stuff without measuring which match up gave us the "best games" and "most amazing Esports moments" and other shit posts like that. There are smarter discussions to be had out there.

Like, with the the PO only lasting 40 seconds, does the terran have a window to attack early if they can bait it out? That is basically one warp in cycle, so can does it provide room to pressure the protoss? Show you work.


Better close the TL news section then Why else are we here if not to celebrate the best that StarCraft has brought us.

I'm all for celbrating SC2, but I think we can do better than:

"No TvT is the best mirror match, noob"
"No, scrub, TvZ is the best match up period. Must beautiful games of all time".

But I have high standards sometimes.


If you have high standards for posting, lead the way. Be a role model. Knowing your posting habits, I'd say that requires a wee bit of elevation on your part
Cry 'havoc' and let slip the dogs of war
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
January 04 2014 00:31 GMT
#529
On January 04 2014 09:26 Ghanburighan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2014 09:20 Plansix wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:17 Ghanburighan wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:15 Plansix wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:11 Waise wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:11 Plansix wrote:
We should totally argue about personal opinion about which match up is best and most robust.

Ready? GO!

I think PvT is the best because I like the animation that marines make when the colossi burn them and zealots slice them. PROVE ME WRONG!

i'm not sure what the alternative to arguing about personal opinions is. should we close the forum? or are we supposed to be posting nothing but facts, which would mean the pool of data available to us is basically winrates and unit statistics?

I think we can discuss stuff without measuring which match up gave us the "best games" and "most amazing Esports moments" and other shit posts like that. There are smarter discussions to be had out there.

Like, with the the PO only lasting 40 seconds, does the terran have a window to attack early if they can bait it out? That is basically one warp in cycle, so can does it provide room to pressure the protoss? Show you work.


Better close the TL news section then Why else are we here if not to celebrate the best that StarCraft has brought us.

I'm all for celbrating SC2, but I think we can do better than:

"No TvT is the best mirror match, noob"
"No, scrub, TvZ is the best match up period. Must beautiful games of all time".

But I have high standards sometimes.


If you have high standards for posting, lead the way. Be a role model. Knowing your posting habits, I'd say that requires a wee bit of elevation on your part

You're turn, I already did. See example from above:

"Like, with the the PO only lasting 40 seconds, does the terran have a window to attack early if they can bait it out? That is basically one warp in cycle, so can does it provide room to pressure the protoss? Show you work."

See, I wanted to discuss a real, early game timing and not ether and theory craft.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
-HuShang-
Profile Joined December 2012
Canada393 Posts
January 04 2014 00:40 GMT
#530
On January 04 2014 09:31 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2014 09:26 Ghanburighan wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:20 Plansix wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:17 Ghanburighan wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:15 Plansix wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:11 Waise wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:11 Plansix wrote:
We should totally argue about personal opinion about which match up is best and most robust.

Ready? GO!

I think PvT is the best because I like the animation that marines make when the colossi burn them and zealots slice them. PROVE ME WRONG!

i'm not sure what the alternative to arguing about personal opinions is. should we close the forum? or are we supposed to be posting nothing but facts, which would mean the pool of data available to us is basically winrates and unit statistics?

I think we can discuss stuff without measuring which match up gave us the "best games" and "most amazing Esports moments" and other shit posts like that. There are smarter discussions to be had out there.

Like, with the the PO only lasting 40 seconds, does the terran have a window to attack early if they can bait it out? That is basically one warp in cycle, so can does it provide room to pressure the protoss? Show you work.


Better close the TL news section then Why else are we here if not to celebrate the best that StarCraft has brought us.

I'm all for celbrating SC2, but I think we can do better than:

"No TvT is the best mirror match, noob"
"No, scrub, TvZ is the best match up period. Must beautiful games of all time".

But I have high standards sometimes.


If you have high standards for posting, lead the way. Be a role model. Knowing your posting habits, I'd say that requires a wee bit of elevation on your part

You're turn, I already did. See example from above:

"Like, with the the PO only lasting 40 seconds, does the terran have a window to attack early if they can bait it out? That is basically one warp in cycle, so can does it provide room to pressure the protoss? Show you work."

See, I wanted to discuss a real, early game timing and not ether and theory craft.


Considering there are already timing windows with the 60s PO...
Professional Starcraft 2 Coach & Caster | Message me for more info or business proposals
Squat
Profile Joined September 2013
Sweden7978 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-04 00:41:43
January 04 2014 00:41 GMT
#531
On January 04 2014 09:20 Big J wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2014 09:17 Squat wrote:
The whole thread is people posting their personal opinions on balance changes over which they have zero influence. That's usually what a forum is.

I never said that my choices of best match ups were somehow objectively true. But I do contend that with the way PvP is, it cannot be used a season not to go through with this, because any dependence on PO to survive early aggression in PvP is a sign of far deeper issues that cannot be resolved in a balance patch. If even shittier PvP is the price we pay for better PvZ and specifically PvT, I am cool with that.


ok, make scan require an armory research. If you have trouble with banshees and mines, it's just a sign of deeper issues with Terran that cannot be resolved in a balance patch.

#stupidlogic

No, because that would be purposefully making the match up worse in order to create problems where there previously were none. In the case with PO, it was a giant band aid applied because of the myriad problems that were already there. It also had a deleterious effect on PvT and PvZ, which is why I consider any issues the nerf might cause in PvP a worthwhile sacrifice for a chance to improve the protoss non mirror match ups. I'm starting to suspect you are being intentionally fatuous.

The whole #stupid thing is kind of played out. If you disagree, then do so, but contrary to what you may believe, saying that everything someone who disagrees with you is saying is stupid doesn't actually make it so.
"Digital. They have digital. What is digital?" - Donald J Trump
BadBorz
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada61 Posts
January 04 2014 00:58 GMT
#532
When a patch against maphack?...
Wingblade
Profile Joined April 2012
United States1806 Posts
January 04 2014 01:00 GMT
#533
On January 04 2014 09:41 Squat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2014 09:20 Big J wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:17 Squat wrote:
The whole thread is people posting their personal opinions on balance changes over which they have zero influence. That's usually what a forum is.

I never said that my choices of best match ups were somehow objectively true. But I do contend that with the way PvP is, it cannot be used a season not to go through with this, because any dependence on PO to survive early aggression in PvP is a sign of far deeper issues that cannot be resolved in a balance patch. If even shittier PvP is the price we pay for better PvZ and specifically PvT, I am cool with that.


ok, make scan require an armory research. If you have trouble with banshees and mines, it's just a sign of deeper issues with Terran that cannot be resolved in a balance patch.

#stupidlogic

No, because that would be purposefully making the match up worse in order to create problems where there previously were none. In the case with PO, it was a giant band aid applied because of the myriad problems that were already there. It also had a deleterious effect on PvT and PvZ, which is why I consider any issues the nerf might cause in PvP a worthwhile sacrifice for a chance to improve the protoss non mirror match ups. I'm starting to suspect you are being intentionally fatuous.

The whole #stupid thing is kind of played out. If you disagree, then do so, but contrary to what you may believe, saying that everything someone who disagrees with you is saying is stupid doesn't actually make it so.


I'm blown away that you're of the opinion that PvP is bad and we should sacrifice it for other matchups. That's just lazy. Do something that makes all the matchups better. PvP is a far better matchup right now than the community gives it, spearheaded by the amount of hate it gets even in articles by writers who still talk about PvP like were in 2011 saying it's a coin flip and boring buildup. Just read the best games of 2013 for what I'm talking about. There's 3 PvP games I remember and none inside the top 30 when in fact several of them deserved much higher places on the list.
PartinG fanboy to the max, Rain/Squirtle/Dear/Scarlett/Bbyong are cool too. I don't always watch Dota2 but when I do I have no clue what's going on. GOGO POWER RANGERS
Edogaa
Profile Joined January 2012
United States10 Posts
January 04 2014 01:02 GMT
#534
On behalf of tigerSC2 he suggests tanks fire two shots after researching. The first shot to catch act as a shield damage shell and the second the current tank shot. Both acting in aoe.
Secondly thors need their air weapons to be changed. They should retain their splash attack but the unit targeted should take additional impact damage. This way magic box will still have its place, but its effectiveness will reduce as muta numbers reduce.

Again, not my suggestions, but someone wanted me to post this to talk about it for some reason. :/ So I figured, "Why not?" Though, to be honest I disagree with the EMP tank idea.

Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
January 04 2014 01:03 GMT
#535
On January 04 2014 09:41 Squat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2014 09:20 Big J wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:17 Squat wrote:
The whole thread is people posting their personal opinions on balance changes over which they have zero influence. That's usually what a forum is.

I never said that my choices of best match ups were somehow objectively true. But I do contend that with the way PvP is, it cannot be used a season not to go through with this, because any dependence on PO to survive early aggression in PvP is a sign of far deeper issues that cannot be resolved in a balance patch. If even shittier PvP is the price we pay for better PvZ and specifically PvT, I am cool with that.


ok, make scan require an armory research. If you have trouble with banshees and mines, it's just a sign of deeper issues with Terran that cannot be resolved in a balance patch.

#stupidlogic

No, because that would be purposefully making the match up worse in order to create problems where there previously were none. In the case with PO, it was a giant band aid applied because of the myriad problems that were already there. It also had a deleterious effect on PvT and PvZ, which is why I consider any issues the nerf might cause in PvP a worthwhile sacrifice for a chance to improve the protoss non mirror match ups. I'm starting to suspect you are being intentionally fatuous.

The whole #stupid thing is kind of played out. If you disagree, then do so, but contrary to what you may believe, saying that everything someone who disagrees with you is saying is stupid doesn't actually make it so.


PvP early game was in pretty good shape before HotS came in with cheaper DTs, oracles and a MsC that can be used for blink and gateway rushes. If you disagree, I advise you to watch PvP form late 2012 and 2013, which had hardly any problems with early game rushes being too strong. HotS MsC is a fix to HotS introductions to this matchup.

So if you break PvP with a nerf to PO you are
purposefully making the match up worse in order to create problems where there previously were none.
, just as in the scan example.

And I'm not #stupidthinging anything I disagree with. I'm stupidthinging anything that is either a matter of personal taste or a matter of logically wrong, as your example of "when you break PvP it's not because you broke it".
Squat
Profile Joined September 2013
Sweden7978 Posts
January 04 2014 01:08 GMT
#536
On January 04 2014 10:00 Wingblade wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2014 09:41 Squat wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:20 Big J wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:17 Squat wrote:
The whole thread is people posting their personal opinions on balance changes over which they have zero influence. That's usually what a forum is.

I never said that my choices of best match ups were somehow objectively true. But I do contend that with the way PvP is, it cannot be used a season not to go through with this, because any dependence on PO to survive early aggression in PvP is a sign of far deeper issues that cannot be resolved in a balance patch. If even shittier PvP is the price we pay for better PvZ and specifically PvT, I am cool with that.


ok, make scan require an armory research. If you have trouble with banshees and mines, it's just a sign of deeper issues with Terran that cannot be resolved in a balance patch.

#stupidlogic

No, because that would be purposefully making the match up worse in order to create problems where there previously were none. In the case with PO, it was a giant band aid applied because of the myriad problems that were already there. It also had a deleterious effect on PvT and PvZ, which is why I consider any issues the nerf might cause in PvP a worthwhile sacrifice for a chance to improve the protoss non mirror match ups. I'm starting to suspect you are being intentionally fatuous.

The whole #stupid thing is kind of played out. If you disagree, then do so, but contrary to what you may believe, saying that everything someone who disagrees with you is saying is stupid doesn't actually make it so.


I'm blown away that you're of the opinion that PvP is bad and we should sacrifice it for other matchups. That's just lazy. Do something that makes all the matchups better. PvP is a far better matchup right now than the community gives it, spearheaded by the amount of hate it gets even in articles by writers who still talk about PvP like were in 2011 saying it's a coin flip and boring buildup. Just read the best games of 2013 for what I'm talking about. There's 3 PvP games I remember and none inside the top 30 when in fact several of them deserved much higher places on the list.

Well I'm a pragmatist, and I do not believe there is anything that can plausibly be done in a small patch that can make PvP good or at least decent. If the choice is between not nerfing something that is hurting other match ups and keeping it because it's needed due to the slightly absurd nature of PvP, I say it's gone in an instant. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and focus on what can realistically be done.

As for lazy, maybe, but after four years of feedback and essay long posts by dozens, if not hundreds of people...I think our expectations for what can actually be done need to be a little more grounded. This seems like a solution blizzard would be willing to do, and it will have to suffice. Much like everything in this game, it's about what we can do to make it suffice. Trying to fix PvP is a pipe dream.
"Digital. They have digital. What is digital?" - Donald J Trump
Squat
Profile Joined September 2013
Sweden7978 Posts
January 04 2014 01:17 GMT
#537
On January 04 2014 10:03 Big J wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2014 09:41 Squat wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:20 Big J wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:17 Squat wrote:
The whole thread is people posting their personal opinions on balance changes over which they have zero influence. That's usually what a forum is.

I never said that my choices of best match ups were somehow objectively true. But I do contend that with the way PvP is, it cannot be used a season not to go through with this, because any dependence on PO to survive early aggression in PvP is a sign of far deeper issues that cannot be resolved in a balance patch. If even shittier PvP is the price we pay for better PvZ and specifically PvT, I am cool with that.


ok, make scan require an armory research. If you have trouble with banshees and mines, it's just a sign of deeper issues with Terran that cannot be resolved in a balance patch.

#stupidlogic

No, because that would be purposefully making the match up worse in order to create problems where there previously were none. In the case with PO, it was a giant band aid applied because of the myriad problems that were already there. It also had a deleterious effect on PvT and PvZ, which is why I consider any issues the nerf might cause in PvP a worthwhile sacrifice for a chance to improve the protoss non mirror match ups. I'm starting to suspect you are being intentionally fatuous.

The whole #stupid thing is kind of played out. If you disagree, then do so, but contrary to what you may believe, saying that everything someone who disagrees with you is saying is stupid doesn't actually make it so.


PvP early game was in pretty good shape before HotS came in with cheaper DTs, oracles and a MsC that can be used for blink and gateway rushes. If you disagree, I advise you to watch PvP form late 2012 and 2013, which had hardly any problems with early game rushes being too strong. HotS MsC is a fix to HotS introductions to this matchup.

So if you break PvP with a nerf to PO you are
Show nested quote +
purposefully making the match up worse in order to create problems where there previously were none.
, just as in the scan example.

And I'm not #stupidthinging anything I disagree with. I'm stupidthinging anything that is either a matter of personal taste or a matter of logically wrong, as your example of "when you break PvP it's not because you broke it".

But then the problems are with oracles, cheap DTs and the MSC as a whole, basically the whole HotS package made PvP bad. It can't be helped or reversed at this point, it is what is. Avoiding a minor nerf to MSC that can help PvT and PvZ because PvP ended up being shit in HotS is not a good reason. The nerf to PO isn't what is making it bad, HotS made it bad, and PO has just swept the problems under rug for a while. My logic is fine, and frankly your puerile "ur stupid" is becoming irritating.

Should worse come to worst, it's still a mirror so it's still balanced even if the gameplay is bad. The none mirror match ups take precedence, balance is more important that gameplay. Saying we should not nerf PO because it helps mitigate the underlying issues of PvP is a terrible argument.
"Digital. They have digital. What is digital?" - Donald J Trump
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
January 04 2014 01:25 GMT
#538
Honestly, I don't really like the nerf approach. If PO gets nerfed, how about some buff for protoss to compensate? For example.. -10 sec to warpgate research? I've never understood why this thing got nerfed so hard in WoL. Yes, 4 gate all-in but it was overnerfed at some point.
Fission
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada1184 Posts
January 04 2014 01:44 GMT
#539
I really wish Blizz would release hard data about the matchup balance for every level of skill. We know they have an enormous wealth of statistical data, but they are stubbornly refusing to share it, which has resulted in hyperbole and murky anecdotal evidence being all we have. Is random reddit poster #324242 correct when they assert that PvT seems broken at X skill level? We have no way of knowing.

Perhaps the game really and truly is fairly well balanced at all skill levels and current opinion is just a run-away train of discontent. Perhaps it's utterly and completely broken at some or all skill levels. How are we supposed to give feedback on whether or not changes seem appropriate when we have no idea if there's anything truly wrong? I can't trust my own experience. I thought terran was underpowered at the start of WoL, for fucks' sake. Of course my opinion is going to be skewed by my own inadequacy. We need objectivity if things are going to get better.
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-04 01:49:39
January 04 2014 01:45 GMT
#540
On January 04 2014 10:17 Squat wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2014 10:03 Big J wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:41 Squat wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:20 Big J wrote:
On January 04 2014 09:17 Squat wrote:
The whole thread is people posting their personal opinions on balance changes over which they have zero influence. That's usually what a forum is.

I never said that my choices of best match ups were somehow objectively true. But I do contend that with the way PvP is, it cannot be used a season not to go through with this, because any dependence on PO to survive early aggression in PvP is a sign of far deeper issues that cannot be resolved in a balance patch. If even shittier PvP is the price we pay for better PvZ and specifically PvT, I am cool with that.


ok, make scan require an armory research. If you have trouble with banshees and mines, it's just a sign of deeper issues with Terran that cannot be resolved in a balance patch.

#stupidlogic

No, because that would be purposefully making the match up worse in order to create problems where there previously were none. In the case with PO, it was a giant band aid applied because of the myriad problems that were already there. It also had a deleterious effect on PvT and PvZ, which is why I consider any issues the nerf might cause in PvP a worthwhile sacrifice for a chance to improve the protoss non mirror match ups. I'm starting to suspect you are being intentionally fatuous.

The whole #stupid thing is kind of played out. If you disagree, then do so, but contrary to what you may believe, saying that everything someone who disagrees with you is saying is stupid doesn't actually make it so.


PvP early game was in pretty good shape before HotS came in with cheaper DTs, oracles and a MsC that can be used for blink and gateway rushes. If you disagree, I advise you to watch PvP form late 2012 and 2013, which had hardly any problems with early game rushes being too strong. HotS MsC is a fix to HotS introductions to this matchup.

So if you break PvP with a nerf to PO you are
purposefully making the match up worse in order to create problems where there previously were none.
, just as in the scan example.

And I'm not #stupidthinging anything I disagree with. I'm stupidthinging anything that is either a matter of personal taste or a matter of logically wrong, as your example of "when you break PvP it's not because you broke it".

But then the problems are with oracles, cheap DTs and the MSC as a whole, basically the whole HotS package made PvP bad. It can't be helped or reversed at this point, it is what is. Avoiding a minor nerf to MSC that can help PvT and PvZ because PvP ended up being shit in HotS is not a good reason. The nerf to PO isn't what is making it bad, HotS made it bad, and PO has just swept the problems under rug for a while. My logic is fine, and frankly your puerile "ur stupid" is becoming irritating.

Should worse come to worst, it's still a mirror so it's still balanced even if the gameplay is bad. The none mirror match ups take precedence, balance is more important that gameplay. Saying we should not nerf PO because it helps mitigate the underlying issues of PvP is a terrible argument.


No, it did not make it bad, because there is a Mothership Core in HotS. It's a fact that it is here and that the gameplay has been figured/balanced as it is because it has been here.
It's the scan example all over again, the scan is required as it is, because gameplay has been figured/balanced around it.

It's an interactive game, you can't remove some screws and then say that the apparate has been broken all along, despite it working before.


And I can partly agree that if it is 2nonmirrors vs 1mirror that can be improved/worsened, I would usually take the 2nonmirrors. Just that I think that it rather makes PvZ worse (is there any problem with PO currently? not really... but if Gateway expands become unavailable because of nerfs to the PO, jokes on you because it makes the matchup much worse and less diverse). Also I don't believe we should buff tanks eternally until only Mech is viable in TvT, if it is required to make Mech playable in TvZ and TvP. There are borders how much you want to sacrifice of a matchup for another one...
Prev 1 25 26 27 28 29 38 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 1009
WardiTV538
OGKoka 261
Rex147
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko386
mouzHeroMarine 348
OGKoka 261
Rex 147
ProTech136
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2174
Larva 1495
Horang2 1444
Shuttle 986
EffOrt 702
BeSt 514
Soma 495
Mini 279
Hyuk 255
Stork 202
[ Show more ]
Light 186
ZerO 184
Rush 126
ggaemo 125
Zeus 120
Killer 83
Barracks 71
Hyun 69
Sea.KH 46
ToSsGirL 30
Shinee 28
Bale 27
Mong 24
PianO 20
Aegong 19
Shine 17
Sexy 15
sorry 15
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
soO 14
Sacsri 14
zelot 12
Noble 10
HiyA 10
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Dendi1739
qojqva762
BananaSlamJamma167
LuMiX1
League of Legends
KnowMe34
Counter-Strike
x6flipin1097
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes272
Other Games
singsing2192
olofmeister1693
B2W.Neo534
hiko261
Sick228
XaKoH 228
Pyrionflax200
ArmadaUGS78
Mew2King36
ZerO(Twitch)4
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream570
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 11
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH302
• StrangeGG 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2087
Other Games
• WagamamaTV209
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
3h 36m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 36m
Afreeca Starleague
21h 36m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 11h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 22h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.