• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:34
CEST 10:34
KST 17:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9995 users

Blizzcon qualification probabilities simulation - Page 38

Forum Index > SC2 General
1549 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 78 Next
redpeople
Profile Joined July 2013
70 Posts
October 14 2013 14:31 GMT
#741
Revival is probably in some corner crying
The God of the stomach is at war with the God of kidneys
MLG John
Profile Joined January 2012
United States34 Posts
October 14 2013 14:49 GMT
#742
On October 14 2013 18:34 Prog455 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2013 12:49 MLG John wrote:
First, let me say that this is really impressive. I'm glad you're getting the credit you deserve for this.
That said, I believe that your program is somewhat flawed. Maybe this post will help you make it better. I think that when your program is saying that someone makes BlizzCon 3mm out of 3mm times, it is saying that they have clinched a spot. But that's not true in the case of MC and I don't think that's the case for sOs either.

MC is currently 10th in points with 3775. So if I can give you a possible outcome for the remainder of Season 3 where 7 Players pass him, who currently trail him, then something is wrong. Here's one such example.

First, MC finishes 13th-16th in the S3 Finals leaving him with 3775 Points
1. Maru finishes 9th-12th in the S3 Finals giving him 3925 Points
2. Duckdeok finishes 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
3. Soo wins the S3 Korea PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
4. Scarlett finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 NA PL and 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving her 3800 Points
5. Hyun finishes 2nd in the S3 NA PL and 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 4200 Points
6. Vortix wins the S3 Finals giving him 4650 Points
7. Oz wins the S3 NA PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals.

MC will probably make it, but this is definitely not the only possible outcome where he doesn't.
I can also provide examples where sOs ties for 16th, but I won't list that in the interest of keeping this post readable and I'm also not sure if Blizzard has said how ties would be handled.

I hope this helps.


Keep in mind though that 100% is not actually 100% but rather 100% +/- a certain margin of error. Also there is some external factors other than player statistics that can be deciding. There is for instance 25% chance that Oz is going to meet either Hyun or Scarlett in ro8 in NA, which would make this scenario impossible. At this point much can be decided by whether two potential candidates are going to meet in a single elimination match or not.

Also the chance of your scenario actually happening is 0% since it would require both SoO, Hyun and Oz to finish 4th or 3rd in S3.


Yeah, that scenario needs fixing. Oz finishes 2nd in the S3 Finals. Fixed.
The point I'm trying to make is simply that MC and sOs have not yet clinched a spot in BlizzCon.
This thread is on the TL homepage, being referenced by casters, etc.
Those who don't have a technical understanding of the program that's generating these probabilites, like me, see 100% BlizzCon probability and think those Players have clinched BlizzCon. While this is true for Innovation, Soulkey, Jaedong, Bomber, Taeja, Hero, Polt, and MMA, it's not true for MC and sOs.
ffadicted
Profile Joined January 2011
United States3545 Posts
October 14 2013 15:02 GMT
#743
On October 14 2013 23:49 MLG John wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2013 18:34 Prog455 wrote:
On October 14 2013 12:49 MLG John wrote:
First, let me say that this is really impressive. I'm glad you're getting the credit you deserve for this.
That said, I believe that your program is somewhat flawed. Maybe this post will help you make it better. I think that when your program is saying that someone makes BlizzCon 3mm out of 3mm times, it is saying that they have clinched a spot. But that's not true in the case of MC and I don't think that's the case for sOs either.

MC is currently 10th in points with 3775. So if I can give you a possible outcome for the remainder of Season 3 where 7 Players pass him, who currently trail him, then something is wrong. Here's one such example.

First, MC finishes 13th-16th in the S3 Finals leaving him with 3775 Points
1. Maru finishes 9th-12th in the S3 Finals giving him 3925 Points
2. Duckdeok finishes 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
3. Soo wins the S3 Korea PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
4. Scarlett finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 NA PL and 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving her 3800 Points
5. Hyun finishes 2nd in the S3 NA PL and 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 4200 Points
6. Vortix wins the S3 Finals giving him 4650 Points
7. Oz wins the S3 NA PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals.

MC will probably make it, but this is definitely not the only possible outcome where he doesn't.
I can also provide examples where sOs ties for 16th, but I won't list that in the interest of keeping this post readable and I'm also not sure if Blizzard has said how ties would be handled.

I hope this helps.


This is just a silly post. His scenario runs 3 MILLION times, and none of those times it manages to find a scenario where those two players mentioned don't make it.

Keep in mind though that 100% is not actually 100% but rather 100% +/- a certain margin of error. Also there is some external factors other than player statistics that can be deciding. There is for instance 25% chance that Oz is going to meet either Hyun or Scarlett in ro8 in NA, which would make this scenario impossible. At this point much can be decided by whether two potential candidates are going to meet in a single elimination match or not.

Also the chance of your scenario actually happening is 0% since it would require both SoO, Hyun and Oz to finish 4th or 3rd in S3.


Yeah, that scenario needs fixing. Oz finishes 2nd in the S3 Finals. Fixed.
The point I'm trying to make is simply that MC and sOs have not yet clinched a spot in BlizzCon.
This thread is on the TL homepage, being referenced by casters, etc.
Those who don't have a technical understanding of the program that's generating these probabilites, like me, see 100% BlizzCon probability and think those Players have clinched BlizzCon. While this is true for Innovation, Soulkey, Jaedong, Bomber, Taeja, Hero, Polt, and MMA, it's not true for MC and sOs.


This is a silly post tbh... His scenario runs 3 MILLION times and none of those times those players make it, it's ridiculous to nitpick at this... What do you want 3 trillion simulations?

Also if you take some time to go through the whole thread, you'll see that in the section where all players are equal, both of those have scenarios where they are not 100%, which is exactly what he runs those simul for, so you just have to take some time and actually read the whole thing to know that it's working quite fine as is!
SooYoung-Noona!
Grovbolle
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Denmark3815 Posts
October 14 2013 15:13 GMT
#744
On October 14 2013 23:49 MLG John wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2013 18:34 Prog455 wrote:
On October 14 2013 12:49 MLG John wrote:
First, let me say that this is really impressive. I'm glad you're getting the credit you deserve for this.
That said, I believe that your program is somewhat flawed. Maybe this post will help you make it better. I think that when your program is saying that someone makes BlizzCon 3mm out of 3mm times, it is saying that they have clinched a spot. But that's not true in the case of MC and I don't think that's the case for sOs either.

MC is currently 10th in points with 3775. So if I can give you a possible outcome for the remainder of Season 3 where 7 Players pass him, who currently trail him, then something is wrong. Here's one such example.

First, MC finishes 13th-16th in the S3 Finals leaving him with 3775 Points
1. Maru finishes 9th-12th in the S3 Finals giving him 3925 Points
2. Duckdeok finishes 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
3. Soo wins the S3 Korea PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
4. Scarlett finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 NA PL and 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving her 3800 Points
5. Hyun finishes 2nd in the S3 NA PL and 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 4200 Points
6. Vortix wins the S3 Finals giving him 4650 Points
7. Oz wins the S3 NA PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals.

MC will probably make it, but this is definitely not the only possible outcome where he doesn't.
I can also provide examples where sOs ties for 16th, but I won't list that in the interest of keeping this post readable and I'm also not sure if Blizzard has said how ties would be handled.

I hope this helps.


Keep in mind though that 100% is not actually 100% but rather 100% +/- a certain margin of error. Also there is some external factors other than player statistics that can be deciding. There is for instance 25% chance that Oz is going to meet either Hyun or Scarlett in ro8 in NA, which would make this scenario impossible. At this point much can be decided by whether two potential candidates are going to meet in a single elimination match or not.

Also the chance of your scenario actually happening is 0% since it would require both SoO, Hyun and Oz to finish 4th or 3rd in S3.


Yeah, that scenario needs fixing. Oz finishes 2nd in the S3 Finals. Fixed.
The point I'm trying to make is simply that MC and sOs have not yet clinched a spot in BlizzCon.
This thread is on the TL homepage, being referenced by casters, etc.
Those who don't have a technical understanding of the program that's generating these probabilites, like me, see 100% BlizzCon probability and think those Players have clinched BlizzCon. While this is true for Innovation, Soulkey, Jaedong, Bomber, Taeja, Hero, Polt, and MMA, it's not true for MC and sOs.

It is not the OP's fault that people can't read.
Lies, damned lies and statistics: http://aligulac.com
1Dhalism
Profile Joined June 2012
862 Posts
October 14 2013 15:17 GMT
#745
oh man sc2 blizzcon without sen just wouldnt be blizzcon. Sen to win WCS am and Globals one time!~
xN.07)MaK
Profile Joined January 2006
Spain1159 Posts
October 14 2013 15:21 GMT
#746
On October 14 2013 23:49 MLG John wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2013 18:34 Prog455 wrote:
On October 14 2013 12:49 MLG John wrote:
First, let me say that this is really impressive. I'm glad you're getting the credit you deserve for this.
That said, I believe that your program is somewhat flawed. Maybe this post will help you make it better. I think that when your program is saying that someone makes BlizzCon 3mm out of 3mm times, it is saying that they have clinched a spot. But that's not true in the case of MC and I don't think that's the case for sOs either.

MC is currently 10th in points with 3775. So if I can give you a possible outcome for the remainder of Season 3 where 7 Players pass him, who currently trail him, then something is wrong. Here's one such example.

First, MC finishes 13th-16th in the S3 Finals leaving him with 3775 Points
1. Maru finishes 9th-12th in the S3 Finals giving him 3925 Points
2. Duckdeok finishes 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
3. Soo wins the S3 Korea PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
4. Scarlett finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 NA PL and 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving her 3800 Points
5. Hyun finishes 2nd in the S3 NA PL and 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 4200 Points
6. Vortix wins the S3 Finals giving him 4650 Points
7. Oz wins the S3 NA PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals.

MC will probably make it, but this is definitely not the only possible outcome where he doesn't.
I can also provide examples where sOs ties for 16th, but I won't list that in the interest of keeping this post readable and I'm also not sure if Blizzard has said how ties would be handled.

I hope this helps.


Keep in mind though that 100% is not actually 100% but rather 100% +/- a certain margin of error. Also there is some external factors other than player statistics that can be deciding. There is for instance 25% chance that Oz is going to meet either Hyun or Scarlett in ro8 in NA, which would make this scenario impossible. At this point much can be decided by whether two potential candidates are going to meet in a single elimination match or not.

Also the chance of your scenario actually happening is 0% since it would require both SoO, Hyun and Oz to finish 4th or 3rd in S3.


Yeah, that scenario needs fixing. Oz finishes 2nd in the S3 Finals. Fixed.
The point I'm trying to make is simply that MC and sOs have not yet clinched a spot in BlizzCon.
This thread is on the TL homepage, being referenced by casters, etc.
Those who don't have a technical understanding of the program that's generating these probabilites, like me, see 100% BlizzCon probability and think those Players have clinched BlizzCon. While this is true for Innovation, Soulkey, Jaedong, Bomber, Taeja, Hero, Polt, and MMA, it's not true for MC and sOs.


It's not OPs fault people don't take the time to understand what they are reading. He's just simulating possible outcomes given the uncertainty, both giving the players aligulac estimates and equal probabilities. But yes, it would be a simple exercise to distinguish the 'true' 100% to the rest.
El micro es el último recurso que les queda a los que no producen lo suficiente
FluoCrazyKenny
Profile Joined July 2011
France90 Posts
October 14 2013 15:22 GMT
#747
Stupid question but, what happens if a player cannot attend the Blizzcon ? for example, Bomber cannot attend because of his health issue ? Does the 17th is picked ?
Fjodorov
Profile Joined December 2011
5007 Posts
October 14 2013 15:25 GMT
#748
On October 15 2013 00:22 FluoCrazyKenny wrote:
Stupid question but, what happens if a player cannot attend the Blizzcon ? for example, Bomber cannot attend because of his health issue ? Does the 17th is picked ?


Would be the only fair thing to do yeah so I think thats what would happen. Unless they do it the IEM way and just pick who ever they want >_<
Grovbolle
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Denmark3815 Posts
October 14 2013 15:37 GMT
#749
On October 15 2013 00:22 FluoCrazyKenny wrote:
Stupid question but, what happens if a player cannot attend the Blizzcon ? for example, Bomber cannot attend because of his health issue ? Does the 17th is picked ?

17th is picked, no doubt.
Lies, damned lies and statistics: http://aligulac.com
Die4Ever
Profile Joined August 2010
United States17750 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-14 16:01:58
October 14 2013 16:01 GMT
#750
I could replace 100% with ~100% instead. Or I could just put ~ in front of every number lol.
"Expert" mods4ever.com
Deleted User 137586
Profile Joined January 2011
7859 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-14 16:09:29
October 14 2013 16:08 GMT
#751
Don't do that, ~100% means nothing. In the end, what you should clearly say in the OP (although I find it clear already) is that the percentages are the result of 3 million simulations. So, e.g., 3 million attempts result in no times where MC and sOs don't make it.

Finding out whether MMA can make it or not is done via a completely different method: by calculating how many points are maximally available to which players. While that's nice, it's nearly useless considering the interdependence of player results and provides a worse picture of the situation.

MC isn't getting a place because he has a ton of points, he's getting a seat because there aren't enough people with marginally fewer points in a position to surpass him.
Cry 'havoc' and let slip the dogs of war
sharkie
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Austria18752 Posts
October 14 2013 16:08 GMT
#752
On October 15 2013 01:01 Die4Ever wrote:
I could replace 100% with ~100% instead. Or I could just put ~ in front of every number lol.


do the ~ in front of every number XD then no one can ever complain again! ^^
Grovbolle
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Denmark3815 Posts
October 14 2013 16:08 GMT
#753
On October 15 2013 01:01 Die4Ever wrote:
I could replace 100% with ~100% instead. Or I could just put ~ in front of every number lol.

I say keep it. People who venture into this thread should keep a somewhat critical mindset (as with all statistics) and hopefully they end up learning something about the limitations of simulations.
Lies, damned lies and statistics: http://aligulac.com
MLG John
Profile Joined January 2012
United States34 Posts
October 14 2013 16:39 GMT
#754
On October 15 2013 00:02 ffadicted wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2013 23:49 MLG John wrote:
On October 14 2013 18:34 Prog455 wrote:
On October 14 2013 12:49 MLG John wrote:
First, let me say that this is really impressive. I'm glad you're getting the credit you deserve for this.
That said, I believe that your program is somewhat flawed. Maybe this post will help you make it better. I think that when your program is saying that someone makes BlizzCon 3mm out of 3mm times, it is saying that they have clinched a spot. But that's not true in the case of MC and I don't think that's the case for sOs either.

MC is currently 10th in points with 3775. So if I can give you a possible outcome for the remainder of Season 3 where 7 Players pass him, who currently trail him, then something is wrong. Here's one such example.

First, MC finishes 13th-16th in the S3 Finals leaving him with 3775 Points
1. Maru finishes 9th-12th in the S3 Finals giving him 3925 Points
2. Duckdeok finishes 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
3. Soo wins the S3 Korea PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
4. Scarlett finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 NA PL and 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving her 3800 Points
5. Hyun finishes 2nd in the S3 NA PL and 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 4200 Points
6. Vortix wins the S3 Finals giving him 4650 Points
7. Oz wins the S3 NA PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals.

MC will probably make it, but this is definitely not the only possible outcome where he doesn't.
I can also provide examples where sOs ties for 16th, but I won't list that in the interest of keeping this post readable and I'm also not sure if Blizzard has said how ties would be handled.

I hope this helps.


This is just a silly post. His scenario runs 3 MILLION times, and none of those times it manages to find a scenario where those two players mentioned don't make it.

Keep in mind though that 100% is not actually 100% but rather 100% +/- a certain margin of error. Also there is some external factors other than player statistics that can be deciding. There is for instance 25% chance that Oz is going to meet either Hyun or Scarlett in ro8 in NA, which would make this scenario impossible. At this point much can be decided by whether two potential candidates are going to meet in a single elimination match or not.

Also the chance of your scenario actually happening is 0% since it would require both SoO, Hyun and Oz to finish 4th or 3rd in S3.


Yeah, that scenario needs fixing. Oz finishes 2nd in the S3 Finals. Fixed.
The point I'm trying to make is simply that MC and sOs have not yet clinched a spot in BlizzCon.
This thread is on the TL homepage, being referenced by casters, etc.
Those who don't have a technical understanding of the program that's generating these probabilites, like me, see 100% BlizzCon probability and think those Players have clinched BlizzCon. While this is true for Innovation, Soulkey, Jaedong, Bomber, Taeja, Hero, Polt, and MMA, it's not true for MC and sOs.


This is a silly post tbh... His scenario runs 3 MILLION times and none of those times those players make it, it's ridiculous to nitpick at this... What do you want 3 trillion simulations?

Also if you take some time to go through the whole thread, you'll see that in the section where all players are equal, both of those have scenarios where they are not 100%, which is exactly what he runs those simul for, so you just have to take some time and actually read the whole thing to know that it's working quite fine as is!


It makes no difference to me how many simulations are performed. Trust me, I took the time to look through the entire thread before my 1st post. Die4Ever didn't adjust the percentages for MC or sOs, in the all-players-considered-equal section, to be lower than 100% until after I brought up the fact that those Players haven't clinched BlizzCon.

Like I've said already, this is amazing work and I'm glad it's getting the attention that it deserves. But there's a responsibility that comes with this much attention, and perhaps that responsibility is more on TL than Die4Ever, to not spread misinformation. Like it or not, when a thread on the TL homepage says that it's a 100% probability that MC and sOs will reach BlizzCon, that is currently misinforming the SC2 community.
Prog455
Profile Joined April 2012
Denmark970 Posts
October 14 2013 16:41 GMT
#755
On October 14 2013 23:49 MLG John wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 14 2013 18:34 Prog455 wrote:
On October 14 2013 12:49 MLG John wrote:
First, let me say that this is really impressive. I'm glad you're getting the credit you deserve for this.
That said, I believe that your program is somewhat flawed. Maybe this post will help you make it better. I think that when your program is saying that someone makes BlizzCon 3mm out of 3mm times, it is saying that they have clinched a spot. But that's not true in the case of MC and I don't think that's the case for sOs either.

MC is currently 10th in points with 3775. So if I can give you a possible outcome for the remainder of Season 3 where 7 Players pass him, who currently trail him, then something is wrong. Here's one such example.

First, MC finishes 13th-16th in the S3 Finals leaving him with 3775 Points
1. Maru finishes 9th-12th in the S3 Finals giving him 3925 Points
2. Duckdeok finishes 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
3. Soo wins the S3 Korea PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
4. Scarlett finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 NA PL and 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving her 3800 Points
5. Hyun finishes 2nd in the S3 NA PL and 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 4200 Points
6. Vortix wins the S3 Finals giving him 4650 Points
7. Oz wins the S3 NA PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals.

MC will probably make it, but this is definitely not the only possible outcome where he doesn't.
I can also provide examples where sOs ties for 16th, but I won't list that in the interest of keeping this post readable and I'm also not sure if Blizzard has said how ties would be handled.

I hope this helps.


Keep in mind though that 100% is not actually 100% but rather 100% +/- a certain margin of error. Also there is some external factors other than player statistics that can be deciding. There is for instance 25% chance that Oz is going to meet either Hyun or Scarlett in ro8 in NA, which would make this scenario impossible. At this point much can be decided by whether two potential candidates are going to meet in a single elimination match or not.

Also the chance of your scenario actually happening is 0% since it would require both SoO, Hyun and Oz to finish 4th or 3rd in S3.


Yeah, that scenario needs fixing. Oz finishes 2nd in the S3 Finals. Fixed.
The point I'm trying to make is simply that MC and sOs have not yet clinched a spot in BlizzCon.
This thread is on the TL homepage, being referenced by casters, etc.
Those who don't have a technical understanding of the program that's generating these probabilites, like me, see 100% BlizzCon probability and think those Players have clinched BlizzCon. While this is true for Innovation, Soulkey, Jaedong, Bomber, Taeja, Hero, Polt, and MMA, it's not true for MC and sOs.


The thing is that there exists a thing called margin of error, which has been explained time and time again in this thread. Your scenario could very well be within this margin of error. Vortix alone having to win S3 is currently at 5.5%. Furthermore your scenario would require that Hyun, Vortix, Oz and SoO end up in each their group, and finishing first in that group aswell.

While your scenario is only mildly unrealistic in terms of player statistics, there is an extremely low chance that it will actually happen.
Die4Ever
Profile Joined August 2010
United States17750 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-14 16:47:09
October 14 2013 16:41 GMT
#756
On October 15 2013 01:39 MLG John wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 00:02 ffadicted wrote:
On October 14 2013 23:49 MLG John wrote:
On October 14 2013 18:34 Prog455 wrote:
On October 14 2013 12:49 MLG John wrote:
First, let me say that this is really impressive. I'm glad you're getting the credit you deserve for this.
That said, I believe that your program is somewhat flawed. Maybe this post will help you make it better. I think that when your program is saying that someone makes BlizzCon 3mm out of 3mm times, it is saying that they have clinched a spot. But that's not true in the case of MC and I don't think that's the case for sOs either.

MC is currently 10th in points with 3775. So if I can give you a possible outcome for the remainder of Season 3 where 7 Players pass him, who currently trail him, then something is wrong. Here's one such example.

First, MC finishes 13th-16th in the S3 Finals leaving him with 3775 Points
1. Maru finishes 9th-12th in the S3 Finals giving him 3925 Points
2. Duckdeok finishes 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
3. Soo wins the S3 Korea PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
4. Scarlett finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 NA PL and 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving her 3800 Points
5. Hyun finishes 2nd in the S3 NA PL and 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 4200 Points
6. Vortix wins the S3 Finals giving him 4650 Points
7. Oz wins the S3 NA PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals.

MC will probably make it, but this is definitely not the only possible outcome where he doesn't.
I can also provide examples where sOs ties for 16th, but I won't list that in the interest of keeping this post readable and I'm also not sure if Blizzard has said how ties would be handled.

I hope this helps.


This is just a silly post. His scenario runs 3 MILLION times, and none of those times it manages to find a scenario where those two players mentioned don't make it.

Keep in mind though that 100% is not actually 100% but rather 100% +/- a certain margin of error. Also there is some external factors other than player statistics that can be deciding. There is for instance 25% chance that Oz is going to meet either Hyun or Scarlett in ro8 in NA, which would make this scenario impossible. At this point much can be decided by whether two potential candidates are going to meet in a single elimination match or not.

Also the chance of your scenario actually happening is 0% since it would require both SoO, Hyun and Oz to finish 4th or 3rd in S3.


Yeah, that scenario needs fixing. Oz finishes 2nd in the S3 Finals. Fixed.
The point I'm trying to make is simply that MC and sOs have not yet clinched a spot in BlizzCon.
This thread is on the TL homepage, being referenced by casters, etc.
Those who don't have a technical understanding of the program that's generating these probabilites, like me, see 100% BlizzCon probability and think those Players have clinched BlizzCon. While this is true for Innovation, Soulkey, Jaedong, Bomber, Taeja, Hero, Polt, and MMA, it's not true for MC and sOs.


This is a silly post tbh... His scenario runs 3 MILLION times and none of those times those players make it, it's ridiculous to nitpick at this... What do you want 3 trillion simulations?

Also if you take some time to go through the whole thread, you'll see that in the section where all players are equal, both of those have scenarios where they are not 100%, which is exactly what he runs those simul for, so you just have to take some time and actually read the whole thing to know that it's working quite fine as is!


It makes no difference to me how many simulations are performed. Trust me, I took the time to look through the entire thread before my 1st post. Die4Ever didn't adjust the percentages for MC or sOs, in the all-players-considered-equal section, to be lower than 100% until after I brought up the fact that those Players haven't clinched BlizzCon.

Like I've said already, this is amazing work and I'm glad it's getting the attention that it deserves. But there's a responsibility that comes with this much attention, and perhaps that responsibility is more on TL than Die4Ever, to not spread misinformation. Like it or not, when a thread on the TL homepage says that it's a 100% probability that MC and sOs will reach BlizzCon, that is currently misinforming the SC2 community.

I did not change the OP after your post at all, check the last edited time.
Anyways, I'll put ~ in front on every number and put a little warning in the OP next time I do an update, after tonight's WCS AM group.
"Expert" mods4ever.com
MLG John
Profile Joined January 2012
United States34 Posts
October 14 2013 16:55 GMT
#757
On October 15 2013 01:41 Die4Ever wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 01:39 MLG John wrote:
On October 15 2013 00:02 ffadicted wrote:
On October 14 2013 23:49 MLG John wrote:
On October 14 2013 18:34 Prog455 wrote:
On October 14 2013 12:49 MLG John wrote:
First, let me say that this is really impressive. I'm glad you're getting the credit you deserve for this.
That said, I believe that your program is somewhat flawed. Maybe this post will help you make it better. I think that when your program is saying that someone makes BlizzCon 3mm out of 3mm times, it is saying that they have clinched a spot. But that's not true in the case of MC and I don't think that's the case for sOs either.

MC is currently 10th in points with 3775. So if I can give you a possible outcome for the remainder of Season 3 where 7 Players pass him, who currently trail him, then something is wrong. Here's one such example.

First, MC finishes 13th-16th in the S3 Finals leaving him with 3775 Points
1. Maru finishes 9th-12th in the S3 Finals giving him 3925 Points
2. Duckdeok finishes 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
3. Soo wins the S3 Korea PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
4. Scarlett finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 NA PL and 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving her 3800 Points
5. Hyun finishes 2nd in the S3 NA PL and 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 4200 Points
6. Vortix wins the S3 Finals giving him 4650 Points
7. Oz wins the S3 NA PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals.

MC will probably make it, but this is definitely not the only possible outcome where he doesn't.
I can also provide examples where sOs ties for 16th, but I won't list that in the interest of keeping this post readable and I'm also not sure if Blizzard has said how ties would be handled.

I hope this helps.


This is just a silly post. His scenario runs 3 MILLION times, and none of those times it manages to find a scenario where those two players mentioned don't make it.

Keep in mind though that 100% is not actually 100% but rather 100% +/- a certain margin of error. Also there is some external factors other than player statistics that can be deciding. There is for instance 25% chance that Oz is going to meet either Hyun or Scarlett in ro8 in NA, which would make this scenario impossible. At this point much can be decided by whether two potential candidates are going to meet in a single elimination match or not.

Also the chance of your scenario actually happening is 0% since it would require both SoO, Hyun and Oz to finish 4th or 3rd in S3.


Yeah, that scenario needs fixing. Oz finishes 2nd in the S3 Finals. Fixed.
The point I'm trying to make is simply that MC and sOs have not yet clinched a spot in BlizzCon.
This thread is on the TL homepage, being referenced by casters, etc.
Those who don't have a technical understanding of the program that's generating these probabilites, like me, see 100% BlizzCon probability and think those Players have clinched BlizzCon. While this is true for Innovation, Soulkey, Jaedong, Bomber, Taeja, Hero, Polt, and MMA, it's not true for MC and sOs.


This is a silly post tbh... His scenario runs 3 MILLION times and none of those times those players make it, it's ridiculous to nitpick at this... What do you want 3 trillion simulations?

Also if you take some time to go through the whole thread, you'll see that in the section where all players are equal, both of those have scenarios where they are not 100%, which is exactly what he runs those simul for, so you just have to take some time and actually read the whole thing to know that it's working quite fine as is!


It makes no difference to me how many simulations are performed. Trust me, I took the time to look through the entire thread before my 1st post. Die4Ever didn't adjust the percentages for MC or sOs, in the all-players-considered-equal section, to be lower than 100% until after I brought up the fact that those Players haven't clinched BlizzCon.

Like I've said already, this is amazing work and I'm glad it's getting the attention that it deserves. But there's a responsibility that comes with this much attention, and perhaps that responsibility is more on TL than Die4Ever, to not spread misinformation. Like it or not, when a thread on the TL homepage says that it's a 100% probability that MC and sOs will reach BlizzCon, that is currently misinforming the SC2 community.

I did not change the OP after your post at all, check the last edited time.
Anyways, I'll put ~ in front on every number and put a little warning in the OP next time I do an update, after tonight's WCS AM group.


My mistake. Could've sworn I saw 100s across the board for those guys. Not sure ~ will make a difference.
What we really need is x- beside the top 8 here http://wcs.battle.net/sc2/en/standings
Good work man.
Zheryn
Profile Joined December 2010
Sweden3653 Posts
October 14 2013 16:59 GMT
#758
On October 14 2013 23:31 redpeople wrote:
Revival is probably in some corner crying


He should be happy he got a 150 point gift from ESL atleast.
hundred thousand krouner
Die4Ever
Profile Joined August 2010
United States17750 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-14 17:10:45
October 14 2013 17:06 GMT
#759
On October 15 2013 01:55 MLG John wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 01:41 Die4Ever wrote:
On October 15 2013 01:39 MLG John wrote:
On October 15 2013 00:02 ffadicted wrote:
On October 14 2013 23:49 MLG John wrote:
On October 14 2013 18:34 Prog455 wrote:
On October 14 2013 12:49 MLG John wrote:
First, let me say that this is really impressive. I'm glad you're getting the credit you deserve for this.
That said, I believe that your program is somewhat flawed. Maybe this post will help you make it better. I think that when your program is saying that someone makes BlizzCon 3mm out of 3mm times, it is saying that they have clinched a spot. But that's not true in the case of MC and I don't think that's the case for sOs either.

MC is currently 10th in points with 3775. So if I can give you a possible outcome for the remainder of Season 3 where 7 Players pass him, who currently trail him, then something is wrong. Here's one such example.

First, MC finishes 13th-16th in the S3 Finals leaving him with 3775 Points
1. Maru finishes 9th-12th in the S3 Finals giving him 3925 Points
2. Duckdeok finishes 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
3. Soo wins the S3 Korea PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 3800 Points
4. Scarlett finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 NA PL and 5th-8th in the S3 Finals giving her 3800 Points
5. Hyun finishes 2nd in the S3 NA PL and 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals giving him 4200 Points
6. Vortix wins the S3 Finals giving him 4650 Points
7. Oz wins the S3 NA PL and finishes 3rd-4th in the S3 Finals.

MC will probably make it, but this is definitely not the only possible outcome where he doesn't.
I can also provide examples where sOs ties for 16th, but I won't list that in the interest of keeping this post readable and I'm also not sure if Blizzard has said how ties would be handled.

I hope this helps.


This is just a silly post. His scenario runs 3 MILLION times, and none of those times it manages to find a scenario where those two players mentioned don't make it.

Keep in mind though that 100% is not actually 100% but rather 100% +/- a certain margin of error. Also there is some external factors other than player statistics that can be deciding. There is for instance 25% chance that Oz is going to meet either Hyun or Scarlett in ro8 in NA, which would make this scenario impossible. At this point much can be decided by whether two potential candidates are going to meet in a single elimination match or not.

Also the chance of your scenario actually happening is 0% since it would require both SoO, Hyun and Oz to finish 4th or 3rd in S3.


Yeah, that scenario needs fixing. Oz finishes 2nd in the S3 Finals. Fixed.
The point I'm trying to make is simply that MC and sOs have not yet clinched a spot in BlizzCon.
This thread is on the TL homepage, being referenced by casters, etc.
Those who don't have a technical understanding of the program that's generating these probabilites, like me, see 100% BlizzCon probability and think those Players have clinched BlizzCon. While this is true for Innovation, Soulkey, Jaedong, Bomber, Taeja, Hero, Polt, and MMA, it's not true for MC and sOs.


This is a silly post tbh... His scenario runs 3 MILLION times and none of those times those players make it, it's ridiculous to nitpick at this... What do you want 3 trillion simulations?

Also if you take some time to go through the whole thread, you'll see that in the section where all players are equal, both of those have scenarios where they are not 100%, which is exactly what he runs those simul for, so you just have to take some time and actually read the whole thing to know that it's working quite fine as is!


It makes no difference to me how many simulations are performed. Trust me, I took the time to look through the entire thread before my 1st post. Die4Ever didn't adjust the percentages for MC or sOs, in the all-players-considered-equal section, to be lower than 100% until after I brought up the fact that those Players haven't clinched BlizzCon.

Like I've said already, this is amazing work and I'm glad it's getting the attention that it deserves. But there's a responsibility that comes with this much attention, and perhaps that responsibility is more on TL than Die4Ever, to not spread misinformation. Like it or not, when a thread on the TL homepage says that it's a 100% probability that MC and sOs will reach BlizzCon, that is currently misinforming the SC2 community.

I did not change the OP after your post at all, check the last edited time.
Anyways, I'll put ~ in front on every number and put a little warning in the OP next time I do an update, after tonight's WCS AM group.


My mistake. Could've sworn I saw 100s across the board for those guys. Not sure ~ will make a difference.
What we really need is x- beside the top 8 here http://wcs.battle.net/sc2/en/standings
Good work man.

To determine absolutely if a player is going to blizzcon would be a totally different program than what I have now, which would have different limitations. I think putting a ~ in front of numbers with a margin of error of about 0.0001% is acceptable, and that margin of error will shrink as we get closer to the end of the season. I would implement a backtracking algorithm to have every possible scenario be represented at least once, but I think it would require terabytes of ram, and even with virtual memory or a database it would never complete the simulation.
edit: actually at this point it would be possible to use backtracking because we're near the end. Would still be a pain.
"Expert" mods4ever.com
Dragoonstorm7
Profile Joined December 2012
United States599 Posts
October 14 2013 17:07 GMT
#760
On October 14 2013 23:31 redpeople wrote:
Revival is probably in some corner crying

I really dont understand why he would forfeit his challenger bracket stage games. He had an opportunity to get 75, now he only has a shot at 25. Really dumb call there imo. =/
oblivion awaits- dark archon (aka best unit ever)
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 78 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 27m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 512
Hyuk 310
910 230
Killer 76
Dewaltoss 58
Shinee 34
Mind 28
NotJumperer 27
ZergMaN 27
Bale 21
[ Show more ]
yabsab 19
Noble 8
Dota 2
XcaliburYe130
League of Legends
JimRising 471
Counter-Strike
olofmeister892
ceh9552
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2063
Khaldor506
Other Games
singsing1021
Sick241
XBOCT210
Mew2King148
ArmadaUGS35
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick732
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream251
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH148
• LUISG 25
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2315
League of Legends
• Jankos1114
• Stunt548
Other Games
• WagamamaTV73
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
2h 27m
Stellar Fest
4h 27m
The PondCast
1d 1h
OSC
1d 4h
Stellar Fest
1d 4h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.