• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:44
CEST 05:44
KST 12:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War395.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10112 users

Evil Geniuses Releases Greg "IdrA" Fields - Page 52

Forum Index > SC2 General
4974 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 50 51 52 53 54 249 Next
BakedButters
Profile Joined November 2011
United States748 Posts
May 09 2013 23:34 GMT
#1021
On May 10 2013 08:32 Serpico wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 10 2013 08:21 BakedButters wrote:
On May 10 2013 08:16 terrancake wrote:
On May 10 2013 08:14 Shardz wrote:
I respect EG more already.I never really liked how they kept Idra with his horrible behavior but I guess it was pretty funny. Whenever I watched Idra's stream, I watched so I could laugh at his reaction when he loses(which is much of the time). I think I can root for EG just a little bit more now since they have the balls to do something like this! =D


This statement right here is the reason he said he was being BM to begin with. People do not watch for skill, they watch for entertainment. You, just watching for the BM actually contributed to the BM by pouring more gasoline on the fire.


But you need results if you are going to do the BM personality. It's fine to create drama and have good results at tournaments. But when you are basically not top 16 NA anymore, and have continued hatred for the game, your business strategy will go downhill. In then end, you still need to have good showings and tournament placements.

Stephano calling BK out for crappy play is justified because he's Stephano. He can back it up since he still top 2/3 zerg in EU. Besides Stephano is not fake, likes to create drama, he is honest but he has to make sure to not step over the line

This is some pretty perverse logic, being a jerk is never ok. It's also like saying "analysts can't call out players because they suck." Of course they can, they know the game as well as anyone (or at least should).


No there's a difference between creating drama, calling other pros for stupid play. Yes Stephano playing the jerk card. But what Idra did was calling out his fans.

Beside Stephano still has value, while Idra is a downhill investment
Snute <3 Bomber <3 Parting <3 Life <3
Chylo
Profile Joined May 2010
United States220 Posts
May 09 2013 23:34 GMT
#1022
On May 10 2013 08:33 Promised_pain wrote:
So I'm basically done with SC2, I didn't really watch anyone else than IdrA, and major tournaments. Especially if he played on them. I wish he would've gotten back to the level he was on 2010 or so (he still can ofc..) good old days...


Well said.
watagi
Profile Joined May 2013
United Kingdom2 Posts
May 09 2013 23:34 GMT
#1023
Sorry if I am intruding onto this thread,its my first post.I have only followed SC2 streams and the game for 1.5yrs so I'm a noob. From what I've watched and read Idra was and is a very gifted individual, but also quite troubled and controversial when expressing his feelings over many aspects of the game and community.

23 yrs old is still a young age to be under the pressures that are put upon the players. In many rl sports you see young players going off the rails or causing controversy with words or actions. But in those situations good management should step in before the situation leads to what happened today. Now I am not party to what happens inside EG but from what I've read from their press, they like to be hands off with their players but in this case I think they were wrong. I don't condone anyone 's abusive actions but there is always a way to help people. It could be a timeout to look at what they are currently doing and why its making them act in this way . Access to a sports psychologist has turned many troubled sports stars careers and attitude in a more positive and productive direction. Or it could be a sharp wake up call and the punishment to reinforce this, but this would need to be applied early before the behavior became the norm.

I think its bad in any walk of life to just cut someone out without helping them first, Greg may not want or think that he needs any help and that's fair enough but people close to him that he trusts have got to speak to him if they think anythings wrong.

Looking after professionals in any industry is a highly skilled job. Its not just about making them work harder to produce more profit, its about ensuring your workforce are happy and therefore able to produce their best standard of work.
Are players in esports being given the help and support that they need? Are psychological problems being addressed properly?

I'm sorry if people strongly disagree with my points above, as I said before I'm a noob to esports. I do however have 20 yrs of Management experience, working in high pressure environments with a variety of differently talented and skilled people and have seen many individuals helped by proactive man management.

I wish Greg all the best for the future,maybe this break will give him the space and time to look at exactly what he wants from life without any pressure, he is a smart lad so I'm sure he will make the right decision.


Iradain
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden35 Posts
May 09 2013 23:34 GMT
#1024
It's finally possible to like EG, hurray!
Terrafros
Profile Joined May 2011
Netherlands194 Posts
May 09 2013 23:35 GMT
#1025
I'm split.

Yes, this was a danger to their image, and yes, from a public moral standpoint, they are correct in what they're doing.


But I feel that this could've solved differently too. It's clear Idra played a big part in the organisation, the first name people outside of e-Sports/Starcraft will cite is his. Perhaps they should've found him a shrink. Perhaps they should've sent him to therapy. It's clear to me that Idra's got some real shit going on, and that a real 'family' would take care of such.

Then again, perhaps such might've cost too much, perhaps such's been going on for a while already, perhaps Idra simply denied such efforts in the past.

I don't know, it sucks. Idra's the first name I heard when I started watching competitive SC2, and I've followed him ever since. He's not performed well for nearly two years now, yet I've always hoped he'd make a giant comeback. I hope that it'll still come to pass, yet I fear for Idra's mental health.


Can't fault EG. But I wish it'd have gone differently.
Little-Chimp
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada951 Posts
May 09 2013 23:35 GMT
#1026
Business is business, but there must be some pretty worthless lives around here parroting "I told you so" over someone losing their job. Even more pathetic are the people e-mailing sponsors like some sort of witch hunt for NEETs who live at home with nothing better to do.

I love starcraft, but the community can be complete garbage sometimes.
BalanceFx
Profile Joined July 2010
United States72 Posts
May 09 2013 23:35 GMT
#1027
Would EG let him back in if he legitimately cleaned up his act? His play is not bad by any stretch of the imagination. I have watched his stream a few times and he has great mechanics and when he reads a situation correctly he reacts like a cold, calculated usb 3,0 killer. (Serial ports are obsolete)

The problem I have mentioned on his stream chat a few times is that he looks like he is at work and not really enjoying the game. This is especially true if he loses in a way he deems to be 'wrong' or 'bad', I am not sure what most people's definitions on 'bad at starcraft' means but if you can beat Idra without Maphacks or Stream cheating I would not call you bad. Grack is a monster in game.

The second issue is what his actual attitude towards his fans seems to come across as..He doesn't seem like someone who appreciates or respects the very people directly responsible for supporting him while simultaneously trying to market himself to those people through streaming and other means. (His signature is literally buy my T-Shirt)

This is all just my conjecture and opinion but I think the last issue is the PR threat his team and managers have to deal with. If a fan takes Idra being Idra too hard and genuinely ceases to purchase said products because of the actions Idra takes then that is counterproductive to advertising dollars. Now there are two sides to that coin as I genuinely think some people watch Idra and support him because of the way he acts and the drama he creates.

Anyways good luck Idra. If you do an AMA I will get my questions out there:

SC2 is still expecting another XP and looks to have some longevity in terms of competitive play. Do you plan to continue with SC2 or gaming in general? (Streaming? Tournaments?)

If you were to speculate based on the current state of the game, what changes are you looking forward to the Zerg Race in the next XP? Are there some obvious macro or micro changes you would like to see?

Are there any obvious changes you would like to see made to Battle.net?

That's it for now. Still a fan of EG and Idra.

When you understand why you reject all other gods, you will understand why I reject yours as well. --Stephen Roberts
Demberks
Profile Joined April 2013
Sweden24 Posts
May 09 2013 23:35 GMT
#1028
Can't believe all the hate. Are you guys really that stupid to take IdrA seriously? Damn, if he leaves the SC2 scene it will be a huge blow.

It will be interesting to see if he retires. If so, a legend goes to exile.
I have no good quote to add
Serpico
Profile Joined May 2010
4285 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-09 23:36:12
May 09 2013 23:35 GMT
#1029
On May 10 2013 08:33 fishjie wrote:
Good riddance. Awful player and awful attitude. Whines about Zerg being weak, Zerg becomes op at the end of wol. yet idra remained irrelevant but now no excuses. This is fantastic news, ill email the sponsors and tell them how awesome eg is

People as fanatical are you are ironically bad for the scene that same way Idra is thought to be (he really isn't, because he's one player who doesn''t even place at tourneys now). Being this emotional over it is just nuts.
natris
Profile Joined August 2010
23 Posts
May 09 2013 23:35 GMT
#1030
I used to like him but lately he was poisonously bitter to the level that he made the game unfun for me so I have stopped watching his stream. The leave against Polt was questionable, although I play Z and can understand his feeling of frustration. I guess this was brewing for a long time, with the issues within the team and such, and the last things were just the last straw. I wish him to have fun playing the game again or good luck in whatever else he is going to do.
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
May 09 2013 23:35 GMT
#1031
On May 10 2013 08:32 Serpico wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 10 2013 08:21 BakedButters wrote:
On May 10 2013 08:16 terrancake wrote:
On May 10 2013 08:14 Shardz wrote:
I respect EG more already.I never really liked how they kept Idra with his horrible behavior but I guess it was pretty funny. Whenever I watched Idra's stream, I watched so I could laugh at his reaction when he loses(which is much of the time). I think I can root for EG just a little bit more now since they have the balls to do something like this! =D


This statement right here is the reason he said he was being BM to begin with. People do not watch for skill, they watch for entertainment. You, just watching for the BM actually contributed to the BM by pouring more gasoline on the fire.


But you need results if you are going to do the BM personality. It's fine to create drama and have good results at tournaments. But when you are basically not top 16 NA anymore, and have continued hatred for the game, your business strategy will go downhill. In then end, you still need to have good showings and tournament placements.

Stephano calling BK out for crappy play is justified because he's Stephano. He can back it up since he still top 2/3 zerg in EU. Besides Stephano is not fake, likes to create drama, he is honest but he has to make sure to not step over the line

This is some pretty perverse logic, being a jerk is never ok. It's also like saying "analysts can't call out players because they suck." Of course they can, they know the game as well as anyone (or at least should).


You have it backwards.

Being successful makes your opinions on skill level seem like relevant arguments and hence when you criticize someone there is that sense of truth to it.

If my PHD professor told me my thesis was stupid--I won't call him a troll.

If my 8 year old told me my thesis was stupid--I won't really believe a thing she says about it.

So when Stephano says BK is crap--people listen since Stephano's the best foreign player out right now and he might be telling the truth.

They're both being jerks (idra and stephano) but idra's lack of results makes attacks sound like whines while stephano's sound authoritative.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
nkr
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Sweden5451 Posts
May 09 2013 23:35 GMT
#1032
I hope this isnt the last chapter of his story; it can't end like this
ESPORTS ILLUMINATI
RogerChillingworth
Profile Joined March 2010
Chad3132 Posts
May 09 2013 23:35 GMT
#1033
really happy about this. maybe he'll retire or change his attitude.
Barbiero
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Brazil5259 Posts
May 09 2013 23:36 GMT
#1034
On May 10 2013 08:35 Terrafros wrote:
I'm split.

Yes, this was a danger to their image, and yes, from a public moral standpoint, they are correct in what they're doing.


But I feel that this could've solved differently too. It's clear Idra played a big part in the organisation, the first name people outside of e-Sports/Starcraft will cite is his. Perhaps they should've found him a shrink. Perhaps they should've sent him to therapy. It's clear to me that Idra's got some real shit going on, and that a real 'family' would take care of such.

Then again, perhaps such might've cost too much, perhaps such's been going on for a while already, perhaps Idra simply denied such efforts in the past.

I don't know, it sucks. Idra's the first name I heard when I started watching competitive SC2, and I've followed him ever since. He's not performed well for nearly two years now, yet I've always hoped he'd make a giant comeback. I hope that it'll still come to pass, yet I fear for Idra's mental health.


Can't fault EG. But I wish it'd have gone differently.


he's been through therapy before. It worked beautifully for a while.
♥ The world needs more hearts! ♥
mrtomjones
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada4020 Posts
May 09 2013 23:36 GMT
#1035
On May 10 2013 08:34 Chylo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 10 2013 08:33 Promised_pain wrote:
So I'm basically done with SC2, I didn't really watch anyone else than IdrA, and major tournaments. Especially if he played on them. I wish he would've gotten back to the level he was on 2010 or so (he still can ofc..) good old days...


Well said.

lol people are actually so much a fan of one player that they simply stop watching when he doesnt have a team anymore? So are you guys telling me that even Idra's biggest fans dont enjoy the game? lolll
las91
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States5080 Posts
May 09 2013 23:36 GMT
#1036
On May 10 2013 08:33 ash88 wrote:
Idra, like Simon Cowell, or Gordon Ramsay, says it like it is. His rant was 100% true. For EG to do this is ridiculous.

This isn't grade-school. The teams shouldn't police morals. Let Idra do what he does. If the fans don't like it then they will react. EG is over stepping their role... again.

I'm very disappointed. I hope some more mature team picks up Greg and supports him. This smells of knee-jerk.


Gordon Ramsay and Simon Cowell, unlike Idra. are actually good at what they do. His rant was 100% his viewpoint and you're right this isn't gradeschool, temper tantrums for losing aren't acceptable in a professional environment. Neither is treating everyone else around you with disrespect.
In Inca we trust
Defacer
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada5052 Posts
May 09 2013 23:36 GMT
#1037
Wow.

It was time for EG and IdrA to move on though.

Kyir
Profile Joined June 2011
United States1047 Posts
May 09 2013 23:36 GMT
#1038
Even less of a reason to like EG now.
zoLo
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States5896 Posts
May 09 2013 23:36 GMT
#1039
I haven't been following the SC2 for some time, but I can't say this is too surprising. Despite his attitude, IdrA is still one of my favorite players since the days of BW. Sure, he has a bad attitude towards the game and the community at times, but I think outside the game, he is like any other guy.

Oh, I like how some of the anti-IdrA fans are commenting multiple times throughout this thread with the same post because they know the thread is moving so far that no mod can see it. Stay classy and continue being mad at someone you don't know in real life.
Serpico
Profile Joined May 2010
4285 Posts
May 09 2013 23:36 GMT
#1040
On May 10 2013 08:35 Thieving Magpie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 10 2013 08:32 Serpico wrote:
On May 10 2013 08:21 BakedButters wrote:
On May 10 2013 08:16 terrancake wrote:
On May 10 2013 08:14 Shardz wrote:
I respect EG more already.I never really liked how they kept Idra with his horrible behavior but I guess it was pretty funny. Whenever I watched Idra's stream, I watched so I could laugh at his reaction when he loses(which is much of the time). I think I can root for EG just a little bit more now since they have the balls to do something like this! =D


This statement right here is the reason he said he was being BM to begin with. People do not watch for skill, they watch for entertainment. You, just watching for the BM actually contributed to the BM by pouring more gasoline on the fire.


But you need results if you are going to do the BM personality. It's fine to create drama and have good results at tournaments. But when you are basically not top 16 NA anymore, and have continued hatred for the game, your business strategy will go downhill. In then end, you still need to have good showings and tournament placements.

Stephano calling BK out for crappy play is justified because he's Stephano. He can back it up since he still top 2/3 zerg in EU. Besides Stephano is not fake, likes to create drama, he is honest but he has to make sure to not step over the line

This is some pretty perverse logic, being a jerk is never ok. It's also like saying "analysts can't call out players because they suck." Of course they can, they know the game as well as anyone (or at least should).


You have it backwards.

Being successful makes your opinions on skill level seem like relevant arguments and hence when you criticize someone there is that sense of truth to it.

If my PHD professor told me my thesis was stupid--I won't call him a troll.

If my 8 year old told me my thesis was stupid--I won't really believe a thing she says about it.

So when Stephano says BK is crap--people listen since Stephano's the best foreign player out right now and he might be telling the truth.

They're both being jerks (idra and stephano) but idra's lack of results makes attacks sound like whines while stephano's sound authoritative.

You're missing my point, I said being a jerk is never ok, I never said correcting people isn't. Stephano is not exactly a patron saint of good behavior.
Prev 1 50 51 52 53 54 249 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings56
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 169
PiLiPiLi 37
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3544
ViBE136
Bale 29
Icarus 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm205
Counter-Strike
taco 585
Other Games
summit1g7057
JimRising 590
WinterStarcraft471
C9.Mang0281
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1015
BasetradeTV180
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP115
• davetesta29
• practicex 22
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1120
• Shiphtur429
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
6h 16m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
8h 16m
AI Arena Tournament
13h 16m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
15h 16m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
Patches Events
1d 11h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.