• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:34
CEST 22:34
KST 05:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8028 users

Destiny: Own3d paying streamers late, not fulfilling contr…

Forum Index > SC2 General
729 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 37 Next All
Dirt McGirt
Profile Joined March 2011
New Zealand129 Posts
January 18 2013 06:05 GMT
#161
ambivalent about Destiny but he's outlined some clear information about getting screwed by Own3d. IMO that 'polite' patter is pretty much pre-emptive passive aggressive behaviour. They knew they owed him money but by trying to keep him (and others I guess) at arms length and saying they were 'working on it' they make Destiny... or anyone that escalated the situation via rougher language etc look like a douche.

I would have worded it differently but I fully agree with TB. Politeness does not = professionalism. It can be a great mask for the shitty behaviour you are trying to get away with.

Sucks that Destiny and Co are yet to be paid for a substantial amount of work. While we've had a lot of these sort of situations it's good that the shabby muppets are gradually being weeded out.

I control Michael Jackson
aka_star
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United Kingdom1546 Posts
January 18 2013 06:07 GMT
#162
On January 18 2013 14:49 Eventine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 18 2013 14:46 Rah wrote:
On January 18 2013 13:51 TotalBiscuit wrote:
"They stayed professional"

Shut the fuck up. My god this attitude stinks. This is what people THINK is professional, speaking politely and using proper sentences. You know what is actually professional? Fulfilling your goddamn contractual obligations and running your business properly.

Jeez if all it took to be considered professional was politeness then what a world we'd live in. Hint, it'd be shit. Lying is just as easy to do while being polite as it is while being offensive.


Way to rant about a single sentence taken out of context.. that was the only good thing I could say about Own3d, because they did stay polite in the conversation, while Destiny fell back on the standard blackmail and threats. I said something positive and negative about both parties. While everyone else is just pitchforking it up like argh everything's all black and white etc. I wouldn't trust Own3d with my paycheck, but at the same time it's hard to feel sympathy for Destiny. Why everyone else gets all emotionally invested in this I don't know. Just stick with twitch..


While TB may have used a bit too harsh language... he did make a good point that too often what is called professional is in fact just polite. He didn't quote you with your username or anything, so I wouldn't take it as a direct attack. I think his goal was just to point out that the community has different viewpoints on what professional means.


I'm not sure TB's point fulfills the criteria of what professionalism is though... yes its more than speaking politely but failing to meet contractual obligations under x circumstances does not mean a lack of professionalism as a number of factors could influence ones ability to complete, Most recently the slasher incident. Where EG promise more click traffic due to announcement which was blown before hand by slasher resulting in EG not meet that obligation but does that mean a lack of professionalism? I wouldn't think so.... but I do agree with the sentiment that is the wild west at the moment.

My take is that we are moving into an age of 'attention' economics and being so new like the gold rush we're still waiting for stability which requires a number of booms and bust cycles to weed out the root.

FlashDave.999 aka Star
g0rthaur
Profile Joined January 2012
United States4 Posts
January 18 2013 06:07 GMT
#163
Do players have agents or representation in any form? Without it (and even with it, but it would help) players will suffer from a huge imbalance of power. This sort of thing really pisses me off and it makes me want to get involved. I'm about to finish law school and I wonder if representing players is viable economically. I hope so.
VillageBC
Profile Joined January 2011
322 Posts
January 18 2013 06:08 GMT
#164
I don't understand why players/teams continue to do business with an organization after it's breached the contract. If payment is not rendered as per the contract then it is breached and no longer valid. I don't understand why Destiny would take an early termination fee when they haven't lived up to their end of the bargain. While in most cases I would expect some leeway, 30-90days beyond that take your services elsewhere.
The Final Boss
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1839 Posts
January 18 2013 06:08 GMT
#165
On January 18 2013 10:40 LeafMeAlone wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 18 2013 10:38 iKill wrote:
On January 18 2013 10:35 LeafMeAlone wrote:
From his site, wouldn't want him getting site views now would we =O

I don't think many pro's use Own3d so kinda irrelevant, not to mention the ones that do are sponsored and don't have a private contract going on

+ Show Spoiler +
Hi. My name is Destiny, and I am one of the most prolific streamers in the world at the moment. I stream League of Legends, primarily, and I used to stream Starcraft 2.

In December of 2011, I was approached by own3d.tv to switch over from twitch.tv. I wrote a relatively detailed article explaining that my decision was primarily motivated by financial reasons. Basically, own3d.tv promised me more money for advertising plus a cash incentive for signing up with them. According to the contract, own3d.tv would pay “within 30 (thirty) days of receipt of revenues from advertising.” I was also promised “60% of all Premium Subscription” revenue, referring to the people that subscribed to me via the $5/month system on own3d.

Let’s look at a few different things that I was promised as part of my contract:

Signing Bonus
Upon signing up with own3d.tv, they agreed to pay me a cash incentive bonus for signing up with their service. According to the contract, “50% upfront payments for the first month” was to be paid out. I also had a smaller amount ($5,000) to be used for an event of my choice, such as hosting a tournament or showmatch series, that own3d.tv would put up for me. In requesting whether or not the cash incentive would be paid out, I contacted Oleg (CEO of own3d.tv) multiple times [1] [2]. After the first three times, he said that it would be wired to me next week, back in April. I inquired again about it and received no response, then was assured sometime in May that I’d be receiving it within the week. Finally, on May 25th, Oleg assured me that the signing bonus was wired to me. Of course, later I’d find out it was only 1/3rd of what I was owed, and that I’d be receiving it in 1/3rd “chunks” over the next few months. So after 7 months of streaming with own3d, I was finally paid my cash incentive for signing up with them. Not the greatest, but at least I received all of it.

Event Bonus
I was given a certain dollar amount “to be managed by own3D.tv to run events for the Publisher.” As time went on with own3d.tv, my paychecks gradually came in later and later. They were incredibly unreliable with paying me, and I was incredibly uncomfortable trying to manage an event with them being responsible for paying anything out. I wasn’t willing to risk my name and reputation with them in regards to paying out prizes or payments. As a compromise, I inquired about using my event budget to schedule a trip to Poland to stay at the Ministry of Win with my family. Although this wasn’t in the contract, Oleg assured me it would be okay via Skype on June 12th. At this time, I told Ministry of Win I would be coming to visit them and entered contract negotiations with them for my stay. I messaged Oleg later asking how I would go about booking the plane tickets, but (as usual) received no response. Eventually I received an e-mail from someone working with own3d.tv that it would be impossible to use it unless I signed another contract with them to “unlock” the money. Since they were incredibly shaky with payments (among other things) I imagine they were worried that I would be switching streaming platforms upon the expiration of my contract. That’s just conjecture, of course. Finally, Oleg told me on Skype that it would be impossible to use said funds for traveling.

As of January 17th, I haven’t been able to use this event money for anything, and I assume that I’ll never have the opportunity to.

Paychecks
By the time August rolled around, I had to pester Oleg fairly often on Skype about when paychecks were going out. When we got to September, paychecks were being paid months late. Oleg became increasingly less responsive on Skype. At this point I was stuck in Poland after having exhausted a large majority of my savings. I could barely afford food and necessities for my child and his mother while staying there.

The last paycheck I received from own3d was marked for July. I don’t believe I will ever be paid for the last 5 months I streamed with them. I’m trying to keep this as formal and non-sensationalist as possible, but it’s hard to imagine the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that I get from even typing that out.

Subscriptions
On own3d.tv you had the option to subscribe to my stream for a fee of $5.00/month. I was promised to be compensated for 60% of the revenue generated from subscribers. I love and appreciate all of you guys that subscribed to me more than you will ever imagine, but I was never (and probably will never be) paid for anyone who subscribed to my stream. own3d.tv literally pocketed that money and kept it for themselves. I pestered numerous times on Skype for it, but was never given a flat answer.

Other problems
Among all of the other silly problems that came along with such a newly emerging technology such as streaming, one of the most pervasive and disruptive problems I had was with transcodes. The transcodes on my stream (the ability to watch in a lower resolution at a lower framerate) were consistently laggy or otherwise unwatchable. Based on my estimates from when I’ve streamed in the past, about 40% of a person’s audience of a 1080p or 60fps stream is watching transcodes. My transcodes were consistently broken and I feel as though it impacted my viewership, especially during my later months with own3d.

———————

To summarize, during the first few months, aside from not being paid for subscriptions or my cash incentive, things were relatively okay. As the year continued on, however, things became unbearable for me. Everything came to a head when I was essentially forced to switch from own3d.tv to twitch.tv before my contract end date in December. I hadn’t received a paycheck in so long that I was becoming worried about my ability to provide for my family while in Poland (or when we returned home) so I switched to twitch.tv 2 weeks before my contract’s end date in order to pursue a more reliable paycheck.

This was the conversation I had with Oleg in regards to leaving earlier than planned -

[image loading]



Of course as I’ve already left, now all of the promises are being made in regards to fixing the transcodes and what not. And of course my payments were late due to both hurricane Sandy and CBS not paying own3d.tv on time. I’m not sure how that affects all of the previous months of being paid so horrendously late, but whatever.

Penalty for leaving the contract early
The reason I left my contract early was because I was well aware of the penalties for leaving. They were expressly written in the contract I signed and agreed to, and a simple cost-benefit analysis would show that it was worth it for me to bail on the contract 2 weeks early.

My penalty for leaving the contract early is as outlined, quoted from my contract -

“In case of termination without good reason and without any breach of obligations – the terminating party is obliged to pay a termination penalty. The penalty fee amounts to 60 percent of the average monthly revenues (including sponsorship fees) that have been generated before termination for the remaining months of the Agreement. For example, if the contract is terminated after 10 months and average monthly revenues have been $1000 during this period – the terminating party is obliged to pay $600 for the remaining 8 months of the contract or $4800.”

That means that I should have owed own3d.tv half of ~60% of my average revenue for a month. This penalty was nothing considering my last paycheck from them was marked for July.

Here is my final conversation with Oleg, where he threatens that his lawyers had frozen paychecks to me (because I’m sure he was just -just- about to send them out) due to me leaving the contract early -

[image loading]

Of course at the end he assures me that I will be paid eventually, but that was early December, and he has since stopped responding to my inquiries.

————————–

My motivation for writing this is that I hope to dissuade others from signing up with own3d or making any kind of agreements with them in the future. I am in an incredibly tight bind, financially, as I’m finally coming to accept that I worked entirely for free for half of 2012. If you subscribe to streamers on own3d, I would hope that you check with the streamer to make sure they’re actually being paid, otherwise you’re essentially shipping off $5/month to own3d with no benefit (actually, a detriment since you see no ads) whatsoever to the streamer. If you’re an aspiring streamer or a member of a pro team and you’re looking to set up a stream for yourself or your team, I would highly encourage you to stay away from own3d.




Eh, I guess that's down to personal preference, I don't hate him enough to go out of my way to prevent him from getting money. That said I guess it's alright to have the text here


It's just that he plays LoL and this is the SC2 subforum, not the general subforum

That shouldn't have anything to do with it. He's an important figure for the StarCraft 2 community. I personally can't stand the guy, but it shouldn't matter what game he plays now; because regardless of what he's doing now he still was a big name in the StarCraft 2 community. Also, the subject of the matter has nothing to do with the fact that Destiny plays League, but rather that he is streaming video games.
DavoS
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
United States4605 Posts
January 18 2013 06:09 GMT
#166
Twitch isn't getting mixed up in nonsense like this, right? own3d not paying sucks, just like the quality of streaming they have, so I think it'd actually better if esports rallied unanimously behind a company like Twitch
"KDA is actually the most useless stat in the game" Aui_2000
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
January 18 2013 06:10 GMT
#167
On January 18 2013 14:46 Rah wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 18 2013 13:51 TotalBiscuit wrote:
"They stayed professional"

Shut the fuck up. My god this attitude stinks. This is what people THINK is professional, speaking politely and using proper sentences. You know what is actually professional? Fulfilling your goddamn contractual obligations and running your business properly.

Jeez if all it took to be considered professional was politeness then what a world we'd live in. Hint, it'd be shit. Lying is just as easy to do while being polite as it is while being offensive.


Way to rant about a single sentence taken out of context.. that was the only good thing I could say about Own3d, because they did stay polite in the conversation, while Destiny fell back on the standard blackmail and threats. I said something positive and negative about both parties. While everyone else is just pitchforking it up like argh everything's all black and white etc. I wouldn't trust Own3d with my paycheck, but at the same time it's hard to feel sympathy for Destiny. Why everyone else gets all emotionally invested in this I don't know. Just stick with twitch..

what's wrong with you?

IF a person worked for half a year not receiving ANY stable form of payment and you don't feel nothing for him, then obviously something is wrong about you.
Maybe you haven't worked before? Or maybe you don't understand his circumstances just because you don't like the guy?
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
Laryleprakon
Profile Joined May 2011
New Zealand9496 Posts
January 18 2013 06:12 GMT
#168
On January 18 2013 15:09 DavoS wrote:
Twitch isn't getting mixed up in nonsense like this, right? own3d not paying sucks, just like the quality of streaming they have, so I think it'd actually better if esports rallied unanimously behind a company like Twitch


I believe everyone has said that twitch is fine and they haven't had these issues with them.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
January 18 2013 06:13 GMT
#169
On January 18 2013 15:10 ETisME wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 18 2013 14:46 Rah wrote:
On January 18 2013 13:51 TotalBiscuit wrote:
"They stayed professional"

Shut the fuck up. My god this attitude stinks. This is what people THINK is professional, speaking politely and using proper sentences. You know what is actually professional? Fulfilling your goddamn contractual obligations and running your business properly.

Jeez if all it took to be considered professional was politeness then what a world we'd live in. Hint, it'd be shit. Lying is just as easy to do while being polite as it is while being offensive.


Way to rant about a single sentence taken out of context.. that was the only good thing I could say about Own3d, because they did stay polite in the conversation, while Destiny fell back on the standard blackmail and threats. I said something positive and negative about both parties. While everyone else is just pitchforking it up like argh everything's all black and white etc. I wouldn't trust Own3d with my paycheck, but at the same time it's hard to feel sympathy for Destiny. Why everyone else gets all emotionally invested in this I don't know. Just stick with twitch..

what's wrong with you?

IF a person worked for half a year not receiving ANY stable form of payment and you don't feel nothing for him, then obviously something is wrong about you.
Maybe you haven't worked before? Or maybe you don't understand his circumstances just because you don't like the guy?


Said this already... imagine not getting a paycheck for 6 months. Yeah. It sucks. Imagine sucking up your savings because you aren't getting a paycheck, and those bills haven't stopped. Yeah. It also sucks.

Regardless of whether or not you like the guy, he did work, so he deserves to be paid.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
trifecta
Profile Joined April 2010
United States6795 Posts
January 18 2013 06:14 GMT
#170
I've always intrinsically trusted twitch.tv/justin.tv b/c of their reputable silicon valley investors (fwiw). Plus you can always post something on Hacker News to complain.
figq
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
12519 Posts
January 18 2013 06:16 GMT
#171
Tobi Wan (Dota 2 famous caster) is testing a twitch stream for the first time right now: http://www.twitch.tv/tobiwandota
after such a long time of complete dedication to Own3d. Just thought it might be related.
If you stand next to my head, you can hear the ocean. - Day[9]
TotalBiscuit
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom5437 Posts
January 18 2013 06:17 GMT
#172
On January 18 2013 15:07 aka_star wrote:

I'm not sure TB's point fulfills the criteria of what professionalism is though... yes its more than speaking politely but failing to meet contractual obligations under x circumstances does not mean a lack of professionalism as a number of factors could influence ones ability to complete, Most recently the slasher incident. Where EG promise more click traffic due to announcement which was blown before hand by slasher resulting in EG not meet that obligation but does that mean a lack of professionalism? I wouldn't think so.... but I do agree with the sentiment that is the wild west at the moment.

My take is that we are moving into an age of 'attention' economics and being so new like the gold rush we're still waiting for stability which requires a number of booms and bust cycles to weed out the root.



No, fuck no. There is no excuse for not paying out your talent on time. If I didn't pay my staff on time they'd fucking leave and rightfully so. What if I delayed paying the Axiom players and that got out? Would you defend me? You shouldn't, because I am contractually obliged to. Fulfilling your promises is the very essence of what professionalism entails. The EG comparison is a poor one, it is not the same as signing someone up to an agreement to pay X CPM on a monthly basis as well as X% of subscriber fees and then not doing it. That isn't just unprofessional, it's flat out illegal. Internet slap to anyone who feels otherwise.
CommentatorHost of SHOUTcraft Clan Wars- http://www.mlg.tv/shoutcraft
Rah
Profile Joined February 2010
United States973 Posts
January 18 2013 06:19 GMT
#173
On January 18 2013 15:10 ETisME wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 18 2013 14:46 Rah wrote:
On January 18 2013 13:51 TotalBiscuit wrote:
"They stayed professional"

Shut the fuck up. My god this attitude stinks. This is what people THINK is professional, speaking politely and using proper sentences. You know what is actually professional? Fulfilling your goddamn contractual obligations and running your business properly.

Jeez if all it took to be considered professional was politeness then what a world we'd live in. Hint, it'd be shit. Lying is just as easy to do while being polite as it is while being offensive.


Way to rant about a single sentence taken out of context.. that was the only good thing I could say about Own3d, because they did stay polite in the conversation, while Destiny fell back on the standard blackmail and threats. I said something positive and negative about both parties. While everyone else is just pitchforking it up like argh everything's all black and white etc. I wouldn't trust Own3d with my paycheck, but at the same time it's hard to feel sympathy for Destiny. Why everyone else gets all emotionally invested in this I don't know. Just stick with twitch..

what's wrong with you?

IF a person worked for half a year not receiving ANY stable form of payment and you don't feel nothing for him, then obviously something is wrong about you.
Maybe you haven't worked before? Or maybe you don't understand his circumstances just because you don't like the guy?


I'll do one more comment on here for the people who are illiterate enough to keep fueling this argument, or maybe I wasn't clear. I never sided against Destiny on this. I said I couldn't sympathize with him, because he's done worse shit. I never sided with Own3d, I don't plan to use that site unless this somehow gets cleared up. Anyone still throwing the accusation around after that, I can't help you. You clowns are just looking for someone to rage at.
Streaming on twitch. http://www.twitch.tv/rahsun86
Stitch
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Hong Kong134 Posts
January 18 2013 06:20 GMT
#174
My team is sponsored by own3D's streaming platform, and we are facing the same issues with our contract with own3D.

We were promised monthly pay after a number of hours of streaming, however, even though we have met the requirements, we haven't gotten any message or money from own3D for the past 3 months.
Head Production Director of NDTV - No Dice Gaming - Twitter: @StitchHK
RenSC2
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States1098 Posts
January 18 2013 06:20 GMT
#175
On January 18 2013 15:08 VillageBC wrote:
I don't understand why players/teams continue to do business with an organization after it's breached the contract. If payment is not rendered as per the contract then it is breached and no longer valid. I don't understand why Destiny would take an early termination fee when they haven't lived up to their end of the bargain. While in most cases I would expect some leeway, 30-90days beyond that take your services elsewhere.

I would guess that he'd take the early termination fee because he wants to get paid something. If own3d won't pay him 100% of what he's due, he was probably hoping that they'd pay him 50% (or X%) of what he's due to keep this quiet. For him, that works out a lot better than getting nothing for 6 months of work.

However, we've now gotten to the point where he's still gotten nothing and so he's making it public.
Playing better than standard requires deviation. This divergence usually results in sub-standard play.
Roman666
Profile Joined April 2012
Poland1440 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-18 06:25:23
January 18 2013 06:23 GMT
#176
According to the contract, own3d.tv would pay “within 30 (thirty) days of receipt of revenues from advertising.” - that is a fucking mindblower. Virtually they covered their ass, so that they can pay people whenever they want. Aren't such clauses illegal in US? I thought Poland has payment gridlock problems, but US?
Spooony
Profile Joined February 2012
United Kingdom108 Posts
January 18 2013 06:24 GMT
#177
On January 18 2013 15:19 Rah wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 18 2013 15:10 ETisME wrote:
On January 18 2013 14:46 Rah wrote:
On January 18 2013 13:51 TotalBiscuit wrote:
"They stayed professional"

Shut the fuck up. My god this attitude stinks. This is what people THINK is professional, speaking politely and using proper sentences. You know what is actually professional? Fulfilling your goddamn contractual obligations and running your business properly.

Jeez if all it took to be considered professional was politeness then what a world we'd live in. Hint, it'd be shit. Lying is just as easy to do while being polite as it is while being offensive.


Way to rant about a single sentence taken out of context.. that was the only good thing I could say about Own3d, because they did stay polite in the conversation, while Destiny fell back on the standard blackmail and threats. I said something positive and negative about both parties. While everyone else is just pitchforking it up like argh everything's all black and white etc. I wouldn't trust Own3d with my paycheck, but at the same time it's hard to feel sympathy for Destiny. Why everyone else gets all emotionally invested in this I don't know. Just stick with twitch..

what's wrong with you?

IF a person worked for half a year not receiving ANY stable form of payment and you don't feel nothing for him, then obviously something is wrong about you.
Maybe you haven't worked before? Or maybe you don't understand his circumstances just because you don't like the guy?


I'll do one more comment on here for the people who are illiterate enough to keep fueling this argument, or maybe I wasn't clear. I never sided against Destiny on this. I said I couldn't sympathize with him, because he's done worse shit. I never sided with Own3d, I don't plan to use that site unless this somehow gets cleared up. Anyone still throwing the accusation around after that, I can't help you. You clowns are just looking for someone to rage at.


Worse shit? Worse that not paying someone for 6 months? I'd love to hear that. He's done some stupid shit in the past... but nothing actually bad.
-- "Getting Nerd Chills From Gosu Starcraft Thrills" -- MKP, DeMuslim, Sheth, Polt, Grubby &Thorzain fighting! --
HolyArrow
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7116 Posts
January 18 2013 06:25 GMT
#178
My experience with own3d has been negative, to say the least. Constantly laggy streams and chatrooms that didn't work. Hopefully they shape up or good riddance to them if they lose all their business.
coverpunch
Profile Joined December 2011
United States2093 Posts
January 18 2013 06:26 GMT
#179
On January 18 2013 15:13 Alryk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 18 2013 15:10 ETisME wrote:
On January 18 2013 14:46 Rah wrote:
On January 18 2013 13:51 TotalBiscuit wrote:
"They stayed professional"

Shut the fuck up. My god this attitude stinks. This is what people THINK is professional, speaking politely and using proper sentences. You know what is actually professional? Fulfilling your goddamn contractual obligations and running your business properly.

Jeez if all it took to be considered professional was politeness then what a world we'd live in. Hint, it'd be shit. Lying is just as easy to do while being polite as it is while being offensive.


Way to rant about a single sentence taken out of context.. that was the only good thing I could say about Own3d, because they did stay polite in the conversation, while Destiny fell back on the standard blackmail and threats. I said something positive and negative about both parties. While everyone else is just pitchforking it up like argh everything's all black and white etc. I wouldn't trust Own3d with my paycheck, but at the same time it's hard to feel sympathy for Destiny. Why everyone else gets all emotionally invested in this I don't know. Just stick with twitch..

what's wrong with you?

IF a person worked for half a year not receiving ANY stable form of payment and you don't feel nothing for him, then obviously something is wrong about you.
Maybe you haven't worked before? Or maybe you don't understand his circumstances just because you don't like the guy?


Said this already... imagine not getting a paycheck for 6 months. Yeah. It sucks. Imagine sucking up your savings because you aren't getting a paycheck, and those bills haven't stopped. Yeah. It also sucks.

Regardless of whether or not you like the guy, he did work, so he deserves to be paid.

In defense of the poor guy getting bashed, Destiny is not an employee of Own3d, he's an independent contractor.

And this wasn't 6 months worth of problems, this came to a head in November when he switched to Twitch. There's a lot that is unsaid about what he was doing for three months while apparently not being paid and then deliberately breaking his contract two weeks before its end date.

I think saying it's hard to sympathize with Destiny was a poor choice of words, but he seemed to have as big a problem with transcoding as he did with not being paid. His story is focused more on trashing Own3d than getting paid, which seems like a douche-y thing to do although the missing piece is that he's given up on getting his money.
Bagration
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States18282 Posts
January 18 2013 06:26 GMT
#180
Jesus, that is quite a big deal. Why the hell was this kept silent for so long? I'm surprised that this did not get attention earlier.
Team Slayers, Axiom-Acer and Vile forever
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 37 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 13h 26m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 249
JuggernautJason121
Nina 5
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 580
White-Ra 186
firebathero 77
910 43
Trap 25
NaDa 13
Counter-Strike
Fnx 761
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0177
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9492
Liquid`Hasu1755
crisheroes1724
Trikslyr83
Other Games
summit1g6001
Liquid`RaSZi5418
Beastyqt830
shahzam468
B2W.Neo283
Pyrionflax143
KnowMe116
ArmadaUGS112
ZombieGrub102
IndyStarCraft 85
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream384
Other Games
BasetradeTV179
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 10
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 32
• FirePhoenix8
• Eskiya23 7
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV406
League of Legends
• TFBlade873
Other Games
• imaqtpie911
• Shiphtur312
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 26m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 26m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 3h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 14h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.